Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wish the thawb would become acceptable menswear in the west. It is a perfect hot weather garment - comfortable and versatile.

Even if I didn't care aboit social norms, it is a particularly bad idea to wear one in my neck of the woods.

Reminds me of how people act when I wear my rainbow yarmulke, but probably worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Badactura posted:

Chinos are superior to jeans

chinos have 20th century pockets. I am a 21st century man, and I'm tired of my phone falling out of my pocket when I sit down

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

90% of men look best with just a white tshirt and dark jeans. im an androgynous looking dude though so i think i look best in big oversized sweaters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Black jeans, a nice purple shirt, and black blazer or vest of choice. A grey coat if the weather needs. That's the ideal look for a man of taste.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jeans are great cause a nice pair will last you years, all my other pants get hosed up if I'm actually doing anything in them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can’t go wrong with a nice three piece suit

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
More like oldplainless

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

three piece suits make you look like you read artofmanliness.com and collect cast iron pans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Black jeans, a nice purple shirt, and vest of choice.

Didn't know Romeo Rose was a goon :eyepoop:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Clothes can be nice, but there really does need to be some sort of proper sourcing on how to look good for yourself.

PHUO: The amount of information on dietary practices that seems to contradict and argue with each other seems too high and deeply irritating to have to deal with.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I cannot think of a more tortureous hell than having to wear a suit.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Some of us have to wear suits for work and it double sucks now that suits are out of style. Like at least you knew you looked good when you wore one even though they are hell.

loving hell someone needs to invent better businesswear for men immediately. It's 95 degrees and 80% humidity and we're still expected to wear long pants, two layers of shirt buttoned all the way up, and a drat coat. Old people who decide my pay are just now coming around to ties being optional sometimes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hawaiian shirt, jean shorts, sandals with socks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

PHUO: The amount of information on dietary practices that seems to contradict and argue with each other seems too high and deeply irritating to have to deal with.

It's really not that bad. Hit .8 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass and eat more than your TDEE if you wanna get swole, or less than your TDEE if you wanna get cut. Unless you've got specific dietary needs that's all you need. Almost all the rest is pure marketing BS from grifters trying to steal your money.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I cannot think of a more tortureous hell than having to wear a suit.

I well cut suit is actually really comfortable. It's the one thing most men own that's actually tailored so it doesn't bunch up or shift around uncomfortably. and the Materiel is usually lighter than most mens clothing so it's surprisingly light. The only part that really sucks to wear for long periods is a tie.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Didn't know Romeo Rose was a goon :eyepoop:

Iirc a goon dated Romeo Rose at one point

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Some of us have to wear suits for work and it double sucks now that suits are out of style. Like at least you knew you looked good when you wore one even though they are hell.

loving hell someone needs to invent better businesswear for men immediately. It's 95 degrees and 80% humidity and we're still expected to wear long pants, two layers of shirt buttoned all the way up, and a drat coat. Old people who decide my pay are just now coming around to ties being optional sometimes.

Gentlemen, I present to you, the suit shorts. Shorts that you can wear with a suit

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really not that bad. Hit .8 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass and eat more than your TDEE if you wanna get swole, or less than your TDEE if you wanna get cut. Unless you've got specific dietary needs that's all you need. Almost all the rest is pure marketing BS from grifters trying to steal your money.

What the gently caress does "get cut" even mean? I really respect people who want to talk about getting healthy, but so much of it is taken up by people who have either spend so long learning about it they don't know how to talk to people outside of it or, as you mentioned, grifters.

It's also like this with talking about mental health, it is either people doing complex studies and discussions, or it is people trying to sell their book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I well cut suit is actually really comfortable.

A supermarket suit is comfortable (unless you're weirdly shaped or sized I guess? I'm fat but it's never been a problem in that regard).

e: Eh, they probably don't sell suits at the supermarket. Let's say "clothing store that is adjacent to the supermarket in the same building and is owned and operated by the same company as the supermarket".

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I don't think that's a worldwide thing.

I'm just imagining HEB suits.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

What the gently caress does "get cut" even mean? I really respect people who want to talk about getting healthy, but so much of it is taken up by people who have either spend so long learning about it they don't know how to talk to people outside of it or, as you mentioned, grifters.

It's also like this with talking about mental health, it is either people doing complex studies and discussions, or it is people trying to sell their book.

Ah getting cut is just losing fat while maintaining your muscle mass so you can better see the definition of your muscles. Yeah I get a bit into jargon when i'm talking I guess, but really it isn't that hard to improve your body. Find a nice Linear progression program for weightlifting or a couch to 5K for cardio and you're golden

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A supermarket suit is comfortable (unless you're weirdly shaped or sized I guess? I'm fat but it's never been a problem in that regard).

e: Eh, they probably don't sell suits at the supermarket. Let's say "clothing store that is adjacent to the supermarket in the same building and is owned and operated by the same company as the supermarket".

I think I've seen suits down at Superstore. Definitely dress pants, shirts, and ties, not completely sure about a suit jacket.

Go down and get yourself an entire live lobster, a 48 pack of toilet paper, a bag of cheezies the size of a small house, and a three piece suit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

What the gently caress does "get cut" even mean?

It means they cut off the tip of your peepis.

e: Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen jackets and matching slacks (which, for all intensive purposes, constitutes a suit) sold at Prisma. I guess it classifies as a hypermarket? IDK. And obviously the only way to sell a suit at a store like that as very few people wear the same size top and bottom.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Ah getting cut is just losing fat while maintaining your muscle mass so you can better see the definition of your muscles. Yeah I get a bit into jargon when i'm talking I guess, but really it isn't that hard to improve your body. Find a nice Linear progression program for weightlifting or a couch to 5K for cardio and you're golden

I'd argue that your not really "golden". Because when you do try and start it turns out "no, your doing it wrong, the thing your doing isn't the 'right way to do it'". Then you get told that this book is best for describing what to do, then that it doesn't work, then you get told that buying certain other things are better, then people surrounding you get into a fight about the right sort of bars and protein. When you do go to the gym you don't know if your doing squats right and might permanently be loving up your back because someone on the internet told you to do them whilst stood on your head.

I'm using hyperbole, and I know it's easier than not to "get fit" but it's also crowded with a fuckload of people selling you stuff, people repeatedly telling you not to buy said stuff, and no actual functional way of telling as a beginner what is good for you or not.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Jul 6, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fact is science isn't as far along on how the human body works as folks assume

When it comes to fitness/nutrition most of what you read from regular people on the internet is folk wisdom and most of what you read from scientists is basically phrenology

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Weight loss is also pretty much impossible, and they really don't know why. Something like 95% of people who drop fat gain it back within 5 years. And being fat isn't nearly as much of a health risk as many believe it to be.

Just do whatever workout to develop muscle mass and improved stamina, they're all pretty much the same unless you have extremely specific goals.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fun fact: A person born into the bottom income quintile has a better chance of making it to the top income quintile than an obese person has of reaching and maintaining an optimal weight

edit: I realize I didn't specify a country and that is because it is true no matter what country you are talking about

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Jul 6, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

Fun fact: A person born into the bottom income quintile has a better chance of making it to the top income quintile than an obese person has of reaching and maintaining an optimal weight

edit: I realize I didn't specify a country and that is because it is true no matter what country you are talking about

I find this really hard to believe. Do you have a source for this?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

silence_kit posted:

I find this really hard to believe. Do you have a source for this?

yeah this sounds implausible tbh. this is anecdotal, of course, but my personal experience with body weight and dieting and lifestyle changes contradicts it

and yeah, speedo-style swimwear sucks, shorts are the objectively-superior option

on a completely unrelated note, phuo: i don't like henry rollins. neither his music, nor his spoken-word stuff, nor him as a person. never met him in person, of course, but the vibe he gives of is *extremely* off-putting to me

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I don't care if you wear a business suit, your birthday suit, a swimsuit, or a chicken suit, and nobody else should either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The current Family meme sucks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How do you get statistics of people who tried to make it into "the top income quintile" but didn't

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Weight loss is also pretty much impossible, and they really don't know why. Something like 95% of people who drop fat gain it back within 5 years. And being fat isn't nearly as much of a health risk as many believe it to be.

Just do whatever workout to develop muscle mass and improved stamina, they're all pretty much the same unless you have extremely specific goals.

Doesn’t this mostly come from people treating diets as things with a specific end goal rather than as a permanent change in lifestyle? Otherwise I really don’t see how you could maintain weight if you’re taking in less energy than you’re burning. I get that the body is a complicated system of chemical processes but at the end of the day thermodynamics is thermodynamics

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think it has more to do with the fact that as a society we are often worked harder and longer than ever before. If you aren't rich enough to hire someone to help, order out very expensive healthy meals every single day, and/or have a member of the household literally stay home, odds are good you're struggling to find the time and energy to plan, shop, prep, and clean all your meals in general let alone be super healthy about said meals.

All the work takes a toll. Stress is real. Stress-eating is real. The fact that for the first time in human history all the poo poo our bodies crave for high-energy yield-- fats, salts, oils, meats, sugars, starches-- are both more plentiful and cheaper than healthy alternatives and they taste better to our stupid primitive brains, especially once we get used to them. Our transport is often personal and we have to make a conscious effort to really work out our cardio systems or build muscle, further adding to the reinforcing cycle of sedentary life.

So on a long enough timeline, it really isn't surprising that most people do struggle to keep up a permanent change down to smaller meals that are less filling, feel less good, are more expensive, and take greater effort to procure than the unhealthy alternatives literally advertised to us on every other corner of our daily lives.

Is it possible? Technically yes. If you really have the willpower, discipline, and really engineer your circumstances you can avoid falling into bad habits that stay bad over a long period. A lot of people like to hide behind that as sort of a social darwinist ex post facto reasoning, part of the whole "you're only poor because you're less inherently worthy" bullshit that permeates most of post-Colonial culture to rationalize a system that requires the maintenance of an underclass.

That isn't an excuse to not try, of course, but it's also pretty understandable why most of the people you see staying consistently thin just so happen to be the people who were already fairly rich and have robust support structures.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Jul 6, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

christmas boots posted:

Doesn’t this mostly come from people treating diets as things with a specific end goal rather than as a permanent change in lifestyle? Otherwise I really don’t see how you could maintain weight if you’re taking in less energy than you’re burning. I get that the body is a complicated system of chemical processes but at the end of the day thermodynamics is thermodynamics

Fat people's bodies seem to permanently change once they are in the obese range or you grew up fat. You need to eat less than normal people at the same weight so you're hungry all the time. I mean you should definitely try to maintain weight loss but it's ok to acknowledge that you can never eat like a normal person again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

air (the band) makes annoying music and "all i need" is the biggest boner killer in musical history. id have an easier time having sex to clair de lune by debussy than to that song

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

air (the band) makes annoying music and "all i need" is the biggest boner killer in musical history. id have an easier time having sex to clair de lune by debussy than to that song
Slamming to Clair de Lune is delightful.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercury posted:

I don't think that's a worldwide thing.

I'm just imagining HEB suits.

I have some blazers I really enjoy from a Target. One of the ones that has a sad grocery section. Extra sad because they are from Target's brief foray into the canadian market, and the Target was in a decrepit shopping mall.

As long as you're not morbidly obese anyway. I'm not currently fat but I kinda prefer my current size to when I had shredded abs from like 18-20. I post on SA six hours a day and my favourite hobbies are video games and Warhammer. I feel like the slight paunch suits me. As long as I keep the svelte squattin' butt I'm happy, and it's real easy to get a massive squat if you grew up fat.

mind the walrus posted:

I think it has more to do with the fact that as a society we are often worked harder and longer than ever before. If you aren't rich enough to hire someone to help, order out very expensive healthy meals every single day, and/or have a member of the household literally stay home, odds are good you're struggling to find the time and energy to plan, shop, prep, and clean all your meals in general let alone be super healthy about said meals.

All the work takes a toll. Stress is real. Stress-eating is real. The fact that for the first time in human history all the poo poo our bodies crave for high-energy yield-- fats, salts, oils, meats, sugars, starches-- are both more plentiful and cheaper than healthy alternatives and they taste better to our stupid primitive brains, especially once we get used to them. Our transport is often personal and we have to make a conscious effort to really work out our cardio systems or build muscle, further adding to the reinforcing cycle of sedentary life.

So on a long enough timeline, it really isn't surprising that most people do struggle to keep up a permanent change down to smaller meals that are less filling, feel less good, are more expensive, and take greater effort to procure than the unhealthy alternatives literally advertised to us on every other corner of our daily lives.

Is it possible? Technically yes. If you really have the willpower, discipline, and really engineer your circumstances you can avoid falling into bad habits that stay bad over a long period. A lot of people like to hide behind that as sort of a social darwinist ex post facto reasoning, part of the whole "you're only poor because you're less inherently worthy" bullshit that permeates most of post-Colonial culture to rationalize a system that requires the maintenance of an underclass.

That isn't an excuse to not try, of course, but it's also pretty understandable why most of the people you see staying consistently thin just so happen to be the people who were already fairly rich and have robust support structures.
Yeah I got way too much McDonald's as a kid. It's because my mom was a single mother working as an ER nurse for veritable poverty wages and when she picked me up hours after school ended, it was faster and easier to grab a Happy Meal, and it was an easy way to make me happy in a way that a slow-cooked pea soup or pot of chili wouldn't, when I was a little kid.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Jul 6, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Zzulu posted:

How do you get statistics of people who tried to make it into "the top income quintile" but didn't

You take the people born into the lowest quintile and look at what percentage ended up in the top quintile as adults. That's around 5% for America, more for other developed countries. I'm going to be using America because that is what is in the discourse.

As far as what I was I was talking about, here's the very unscientific napkin math which includes some big assumptions:

At any given time about half of Americans are trying to lose weight, which I assume extends to the obese population. We're at 50%.

Here is a very unscientific assumption - let's say fully half succeed in losing a significant amount of weight. I feel this is very generous. We're down to 25%.

5% of people who successfully lost a significant amount of weight keep it off. We're down to 1.25%. And that's just counting people who lost weight and kept it off, not people who reached their optimal weight, which would be much lower.

5% of people born poor will end up rich
1.25% (give or take) will start obese and lose it

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm bad at math but that sounds like horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The weightloss studies show that if you go on a diet and stop being on it some time later you will gain back the weight.

The solution therefore is to never stop the "diet", until you die. That may be hard to do, but that's not the same as it being impossible.