Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BisterdDave posted:

And the trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty is a measly bronze. It's like they're loving with trophy hunters.

Good. Trophy hunting is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nioh

https://i.imgur.com/OU5e34e.gifv

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Snak posted:

Good. Trophy hunting is dumb.

I will destroy you and everyone you love. :mad:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If there's a trophy for doing so.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Man I am longgggg past the point of caring about difficulty trophies. Ditto collectathons

Wolfenstein 2 has 6 collectathons, too. It’s hilarious.

Lot of game in that game. Just play it and ignore the trophies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More people have the trophy for finishing permadeath mode than do for collecting 1000 helmets, that's the real platinum killer

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That Plains of Eidolon expansion for Warframe is out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hopper posted:

TLOU trip report:
Tonight we found out the mirror building was deserted. I had a bit of a jump scare when the voice recorder started coming from my controller.
After that I strangled and shot up some dudes trying to kill me on my way out. Again. Then I impaled myself and woke up in winter. Winter was beautiful and creepy as well cause we met some dudes who... yeah well. So I went to rescue Elli and did, only turns out she is capable of fighting for herself now. I can't yet say whether she has ptsd from all that but when spring came she looked ok.

Then I had to stop cause it was 1 am on a weeknight yet again.

The story is good even though nowadays anyone who has seen the walking dead knew what was coming. I really love this game it is already in the top half of my all time favourites, but the story is essentially zombie apocalypse 101 if we are honest. Brilliantly told and gripping, but at its core it includes every zombie and post apocalyptic stereotype.

And still I can't get enough. Also game is pretty hard on normal if you try to be sneaky, my aim got better but I get spotted so often.

Is it me or are there even fewer resources/skill pills in winter? I may have missed some but the urgency in the story translated so well into the game that I felt the need to push on constantly.

Looking forward to your next update :allears:

Snak posted:

This is as bad as how people started calling Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 "Blade 1" and "Blade 2", even though there are already movies called that.

Blade Runner 2h49m

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Man I am longgggg past the point of caring about difficulty trophies. Ditto collectathons

Agreed on the second part but difficulty trophies are the only ones I like. If I don't have strong feelings about a game I won't go out of my way to get trophies anyway. But if I really like something I might be inclined to play on the hardest mode and a trophy adds a fun little incentive even if it's totally meaningless. If nothing else they feel a little more earned whereas collectathon trophies just feel like its rubbing in how much time I wasted, unless the collectibles are actually fun to get which is almost non existent outside of Nintendo games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What kills me is that Wolfenstein TNC doesn't let you replay the actual campaign like the first one did. Apparently all you can do is return to levels to go after the Nazi commanders unless I am mistaken.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If a playthrough of a game is any longer than, say, Resogun's arcade mode, there is almost zero chance I am going to play through it again on a harder difficulty level. And if there is any bullshit collectible trophy, I will not even give any of the other trophies a second look.

The only two platinums I actively worked towards and felt good about getting were Resogun and The Witness. Horizon I basically got because I was almost there when I was at the end anyway

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If a playthrough of a game is any longer than, say, Resogun's arcade mode, there is almost zero chance I am going to play through it again on a harder difficulty level

I feel like the only time I replay through stuff now a days is if it has a new game plus mode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it really depends on how much I like the gameplay. Like, for example I went right back and played vanquish on hard after finishing normal because it felt like I had gotten good enough to tackle a harder mode. Which is a fun way to go into something like that. It's rare that I do that though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've beaten Max Payne 2 perhaps a dozen times, and the same goes for Metal Gear Rising. Short and sweet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also, playing TLOU on survival made me appreciate the gameplay in that game about 5 times more.

I'd never play something on hard just to get a trophy. If there is something compelling about trying it though, why not? I think we all mostly agree trophies are dumb, but if I'm going to bother getting one I might as well make it feel like I'm overcoming some sort of challenge vs wasting a lot of time completing the games most trivial content. I'd never do something I don't want to do in a game just to get a trophy unless it takes like 5 seconds. But I do like to use them as a corny little motivator for something I already wanted to tackle.

I think I have like 30% of the trophies in TLOU and I've played that game for easily 1500 hours. The collectable stuff always seemed dumb so I never bothered with it. But I really enjoyed going for the survivor trophy and plan on eventually finishing grounded one of these years.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 15, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I think I have like 30% of the trophies in TLOU and I've played that game for easily 1500 hours. The collectable stuff always seemed dumb so I never bothered with it. But I really enjoyed going for the survivor trophy and plan on eventually finishing grounded one of these years.

Same. I've purchased TLoU 4 times over 2 consoles and never gotten above 35%. I cannot bring myself to sully the experience by reading a collectables walkthrough.

Uncharted games are fun to plat, tho. You can pick up a majority of the trophies by accident just by playing through on Hard and Crushing, then the rest are cool combat challenges. Lost Legacy even added a secret treasure radar which owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 15, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Whats the early verdict on sw battlefront 2 single player campaign?

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
Is there a list somewhere of headsets for the PS4 that have the sidetone function (feeding your own mic input back into the headset) available?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joakim Brecht posted:

Is there a list somewhere of headsets for the PS4 that have the sidetone function (feeding your own mic input back into the headset) available?

I looked a while back but instead just decided to make the miniscule effort to speak at a conversational volume without needing the feedback.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Joakim Brecht posted:

The Tritton 720 + has that but I think it's not being manufactured anymore

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Joakim Brecht posted:

I'm pretty sure all the Sony gaming headsets have it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

BisterdDave posted:

And the trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty is a measly bronze. It's like they're loving with trophy hunters.

This really bugged me because I liked Wolfenstein: TNO and TOB that I got the plat in both. It helps me spend more time with games and not buy every shiny new thing that comes around. So to see the devs gently caress with people like this makes me sad because it really feels like they went “we have a vision for our game so we’re going to discourage trophy hunting” and the second I saw that I dropped the game like a hot potato (I had finished the game and was going to start again on harder difficulty).

IMO, TNO was fantastic and one of the best shooters I played. TNC really feels like they sacrificed gameplay to tell their story.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Don't Americans get $10 for every 1000 trophies now?

The Black Stones posted:

This really bugged me because I liked Wolfenstein: TNO and TOB that I got the plat in both. It helps me spend more time with games and not buy every shiny new thing that comes around. So to see the devs gently caress with people like this makes me sad because it really feels like they went “we have a vision for our game so we’re going to discourage trophy hunting” and the second I saw that I dropped the game like a hot potato (I had finished the game and was going to start again on harder difficulty).

IMO, TNO was fantastic and one of the best shooters I played. TNC really feels like they sacrificed gameplay to tell their story.
It really sucks how much of a downgrade it was. Luckily they can't pull the same thing with Doom II... I hope...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed on the second part but difficulty trophies are the only ones I like. If I don't have strong feelings about a game I won't go out of my way to get trophies anyway. But if I really like something I might be inclined to play on the hardest mode and a trophy adds a fun little incentive even if it's totally meaningless. If nothing else they feel a little more earned whereas collectathon trophies just feel like its rubbing in how much time I wasted, unless the collectibles are actually fun to get which is almost non existent outside of Nintendo games.

I'm not saying games shouldn't have them, I'm just saying I have no shame about lowering difficulty in the name of fun any more. Like, I won't play FIFA on amateur because winning 15-0 isn't fun, but I'll pass up difficulty trophies in the name of hahaha I'm an unstoppable nazi killing machine.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Apologies if this was already covered, but I skipped a few pages, but, did EA actually listen to criticisms from people and reduce the amount it costs to unlock characters via lootbox, but then simultaneously reduce the amount of rewards you get per game? Is that a thing that actually happened?

If so, holy poo poo EA...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah they did that

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

They only reduced the campaign rewards. Match rewards and other challenges are unchanged.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My media PC's hard drive died so I'm temporarily streaming movies to my PS4 using Plex.

I've never fiddled with my PS4's sound before. I have a receiver with a 5.1 audio system hooked up. In terms of movies is there a way to guarantee it will use my 5.1 correctly? In the audio options menu should I have the PS4 audio set to Linear PCM, Dolby, or DTS? Should I change it depending on what the individual movie supports?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Linear PCM will send uncompressed audio to your receiver and it will do whatever it can with it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So does any store look like it's gonna have a Pro deal? I wanna upgrade since I'm getting a PSVR Skyrim bundle, but I really can't justify $400 and trading in at GameStop kinda sucks and will just make me feel filthy and horrible, plus I need to transfer all the data. Thoughts?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Buy Pro, sell old PS4 on Ebay or craigslist. Get 2x what gamestop would give you. I haven't heard of s single Pro BF deal personally. All the deals are on the slims it seems.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Megasabin posted:

My media PC's hard drive died so I'm temporarily streaming movies to my PS4 using Plex.

I've never fiddled with my PS4's sound before. I have a receiver with a 5.1 audio system hooked up. In terms of movies is there a way to guarantee it will use my 5.1 correctly? In the audio options menu should I have the PS4 audio set to Linear PCM, Dolby, or DTS? Should I change it depending on what the individual movie supports?

My receiver tells me how it is outputting audio ie if it is outputting in Dolby it will say Dolby, Stereo, etc. You shouldn't have to worry about making sure your PS4 is doing 5.1 since any of those 3 options are capable of it. However, Plex may not be sending the 5.1 audio so you'll need to make sure Plex is working correctly more than your PS4.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Megasabin posted:

If your receiver is connected to the PS4 using HDMI you should probably be using Linear PCM. If you're using optical you should probably set it to bitstream either DTS or Dolby (I always use DTS because I think it sounds better).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Black Stones posted:

This reminds me of three of the first games ever made to have achievements as we know them now, Perfect Dark Zero, Quake IV, and Condemned: Criminal Origins. Condemned has a great glitch where it would just not award points for stuff done in the second half of the game randomly, so if you wanted to complete it you'd have to do stuff like complete the last level without any weapons repeatedly or start a new game to pick up a collectible again repeatedly until it decided to realize you did that. Quake IV had cheat codes but if you used any of them it locked you out of getting any other achievements on that account. And lastly Perfect Dark Zero only had one single player achievement, which was 10 points for completing the campaign. Everything else was multiplayer stuff like staying in ____ tier on the leaderboards type of stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Condemned also only gave out 970 gamerscore total, because Microsoft hadn't standardized the dev guidelines for achievements yet.

There are a bunch of games from that era with achievements for getting to number 1 on various leaderboards, good luck 100%ing those.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

veni veni veni posted:

Buy Pro, sell old PS4 on Ebay or craigslist. Get 2x what gamestop would give you. I haven't heard of s single Pro BF deal personally. All the deals are on the slims it seems.

Problem is that a 1TB Slim will be $200 on black Friday, and I have a 500 GB launch one, so I can't imagine it'd be more than like $100 for it. :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I know that my Costco just stocked up on Pros, so they may be planning something.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you want to relive the years of Korean grindathon MMOs, get FFXV Comrades. Oh my loving god.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Go on, I was thinking of getting comrades as something to kill time with until MH World but if love to hear a real play impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How long does it take to look like an anime wizard?