Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Today's mail:

Desaparecidos - Read Music/Speak Spanish (Remastered)
The Strokes - Is This It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

screaden posted:

Bunch of Akiko Yano and a reissue

Neat!

E: Yesterday's mail:

Arcella fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 18, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

You're supposed to open the shrink?

I inherited my parents' records. I can tell which ones my Dad bought because he'd only undo the shrink wrap for the album opening. That includes the Liberace Christmas album ... and a whole heap of 1980s contemporary Christian.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

AWWWWWWW poo poo, it's Payday and we getting Metal up in here.

...I swear my pointer finger is sticking out and I'm not touching the playing area :gonk:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

HK5000 posted:

In the UK celebrating completing my MSEE. Here's the haul I picked up in Glasgow.

Gonna need you to hand over that SoM.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp since I'm running out of time to weed out records, here's the requested flip through video of what I'm getting rid of thus far, now filmed in potato vision.

https://youtu.be/DJ9i9YlBXfw

It's all bargain bin tier stuff, don't get excited.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp since I'm running out of time to weed out records, here's the requested flip through video of what I'm getting rid of thus far, now filmed in potato vision.

https://youtu.be/DJ9i9YlBXfw

It's all bargain bin tier stuff, don't get excited.

Hey, there's at least 4 in there I'd buy for $2 or $3. I want that Rappin' Rodney.

I'll post a vid of my garage sale bins in the near future. I love seeing people's finds!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I was gonna say, I'd take that Rappin Rodney off your hands if I had anywhere to put it right now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

caligulamprey posted:

AWWWWWWW poo poo, it's Payday and we getting Metal up in here.

...I swear my pointer finger is sticking out and I'm not touching the playing area :gonk:

That Locust / Melt Banana split rips. RIP Gabe Serbian.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My friends and I once back-to-backed Rappin' Rodney and Chevy Chase's Rapper's Plight to see who would come out on top and was there even any doubt in your mind Rappin' Rodney tops that poo poo? Nahman. You know it's true.

Hot Diggity! posted:

That Locust / Melt Banana split rips. RIP Gabe Serbian.
One of my favorite memories of Desert Daze back in 2019 is watching about 40 hippies run for cover the second The Locust started playing. They had absolutely no idea. RIP Gabe.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 19, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well if Rodney survives the sale, I'll let you guys know (I haven't got the time to wheel and deal on the internet until afterward anyways). About to chuck all my Mountain records in the bin; listening to them atm. Cool cover art but it sounds like Steppenwolf but some how worse? And I can only handle a Steppenwolf greatest hits album as it is.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

spinst posted:

Today's mail:

Desaparecidos - Read Music/Speak Spanish (Remastered)
The Strokes - Is This It

love Is This It, i've got The New Abnormal on vinyl tho and i think it might be their best

arrived in the mail for me:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Dismemberment Plan arrived today; fast shipping! Also the cute tote made it worth the extra I spent vs getting it locally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The guy who got to Savers right before me today found a copy of Pink Flag mixed in with the usual junk. But I felt better about that when I found out it was completely trashed and the cover was wet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone have any ideas on weight load of a vinyl collection on an apartment floor? I dont think my building is gonna collapse because of my collection, but I'm curious because I just found out my neighbor above me also has a giant collection on the top floor of the building.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If they were all 180g records, a thousand records would be under 400 pounds, and i would assume all 1000 wouldnt be on the exact same 1 sq ft section of the floor because that'd be like 32 feet high

basically unless your apartment building can't handle a couple fat guy roommates, it's fine

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 19, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

mine are on a 5x5 Kallax on a side (structural outside) wall and his two 5x5 are on the opposite wall in his place with another 5x5 in his living room. he's got a monster 4,000 record collection that I was a bit gobsmacked to see, I've got in comparison a dinky 1,600 collection.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Hey everyone, apologies if this has been asked to death, but I inherited my old roommate's Crosley record/CD/tape player, and after finally testing it out, it sounds like garbage and has no bass.

The problem is, testing it out has made me get an itch to get back into collecting records, but I also don't have a ton of space for a whole stereo set up.

My question is, are there any record players with built in speakers for 250 or under that aren't garbage? Alternatively, are there any entry level players with speakers that have a similar footprint to the Crosley coffin for around 250?

I don't need anything fancy because I don't have a ton of records and probably won't go nuts with this, I just want something that doesn't sound like it's coming out of a Gameboy speaker locked in a metal lunchbox.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

crosleys are trash, and i am pretty sure every turntable with built in speakers is also trash, with the exception of some oddball vintage stuff that's probably overpriced as a collectible

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
They make turntables with built in amplifiers now so you can hook a pair of small bookshelf speakers to it right? Bypassing the need for a reciever and all that poo poo? I'd look for a decent one of those. Gonna need an open space for a turntable might as well have it big enough for speakers on either side.

Comedy option: buy a GE Wildcat from the 60s. Do they even make needles for them anymore? It's the reason I've put off cleaning up my mother's.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Turbinosamente posted:

They make turntables with built in amplifiers now so you can hook a pair of small bookshelf speakers to it right? Bypassing the need for a reciever and all that poo poo?

This is my setup. It's not the highest fidelity system but it is extremely convenient. Using AT LPW40WN and Edifier R1280T and absolutely nothing else.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The benefit of a modern receiver is that they have like internet radio and bluetooth, so if you want to listen to music in the house it's a decent investment even if you listen to spotify 80% of the time and records 20%.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
poo poo, thanks to a $10 RCA to 1/8th converter even my old 90s-vintage receiver that has my turntable hooked up to it lets me use a $50 fire tablet to play every song ever recorded through a combo of spotify and youtube, something so mind blowing that when I bought that receiver I would have considered it some distant science fiction concept.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah I just plug a Chromecast Audio into the switched plug of my 70s receiver and it works like magic. It's trivial to add bluetooth support to an old stereo. Modern receivers are going to be way better for anything home theater-related though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Arcella posted:

The benefit of a modern receiver is that they have like internet radio and bluetooth, so if you want to listen to music in the house it's a decent investment even if you listen to spotify 80% of the time and records 20%.

:frogout:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

marjorie posted:

Dismemberment Plan arrived today; fast shipping! Also the cute tote made it worth the extra I spent vs getting it locally.

Glad it came in for you! I spun mine and loved every minute of it. Shipping from AstronautSaint was nice and easy, I'll definitely be ordering from them again.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Hey everyone, apologies if this has been asked to death,

tl;dr just get this

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/metallica-gets-its-own-metal-themed-pro-ject-turntable-and-i-will-fight-you-for-one/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

What Nancy wants to do with her Garth Brooths box sets is her business.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

What Nancy wants to do with her Garth Brooths box sets is her business.
How long till I can sell each set from the megaset for $100 each? They're just sitting here anchoring my bookcase.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NJ-2MS6iyg

eww

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Finally got all the main death grips albums in some form (lots of bootlegs).

spoilered because you can kinda see thru the sticker covering the tits on the money store. Exmilitary is a 2lp bootleg i got from etsy (paid way too much for it).

my two no love deep webs. left is official press from 2020 with last two tracks swapped. right is pink vinyl bootleg.

yellow bootleg government plates, blue bootleg powers that b

white bootleg bottomless pit, official clear press year of the snitch

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CatBlack posted:

Finally got all the main death grips albums in some form (lots of bootlegs).

Don't mind me! I'm just hunting for details in the background to determine where you live, SO I CAN ROB YOU. :argh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there anything interesting or informative here or am I just going to get really mad?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

CPL593H posted:

Is there anything interesting or informative here or am I just going to get really mad?

The title pretty much says it all. A good representation of the situation is Revolver by The Beatles increasing from 26 to 36 dollars.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CatBlack posted:

The title pretty much says it all. A good representation of the situation is Revolver by The Beatles increasing from 26 to 36 dollars.

Unless you want the mono copy in which case you can just drop a zero at the end of that price.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
drat. Had a double LP arrive today from Discogs and on the second disc, side 4 appears twice and there is no side 3.

This is not what I would call VG+, as the Discogs seller indicated. What a bummer. Hope the guy sorts this out quickly.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Well, not sure on the etiquette on this (I only buy on Discogs and have never sold), but if that is a known issue with that version/pressing of the album, then it could technically still be considered VG+? Like, "It's a known fact that this album was mis-pressed and has two side Cs rather than a side C and side D, so I am grading this on the current condition the disc is in, not grading it on the quality of that pressing"? (Sorry if this makes no sense. :420:)

Does the Discogs release page (NOT the seller's page for that individual item) for that version/pressing of the album make mention of the repeat sides?

Read After Burning posted:

What is the seller's Discogs rating %, out of curiosity?

I only buy from folks with 99.5%+ ratings...which sounds strict, but there's a lot of 'em out there, and I haven't been burned yet. Do keep in mind that I'm NOT an audiophile, so YMMV.

Sorry to quote myself, but figured it's okay since Discogs got brought up again.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 20, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Laurie's owns, not as big as Reckless, but probably my favorite record store in Chicago

https://twitter.com/lauriespos/status/1527764201346834432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

Sorry to quote myself, but figured it's okay since Discogs got brought up again.

I'll share when its resolved. Paypal says I should have an answer by June 1.