Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, super smelter is totally optional right?

unless you want a mask, he's optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone know where the last Iron Rod that kills the Ash Idols is? I got the 5 at the start and the 4 inside the tower. I'm at Fume Knight and my summons keep dragging him to the last idol there and restore his health

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Anyone know where the last Iron Rod that kills the Ash Idols is? I got the 5 at the start and the 4 inside the tower. I'm at Fume Knight and my summons keep dragging him to the last idol there and restore his health

There's a chest with like eight somewhere. Explore the foyer, take the elevators. You'll find them eventually.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I'm missing a bonfire in the DLC area, is it behind an illusionary wall or is there a whole area I'm missing?

edit: I should add that I've gotten the crown and beaten smelter 2.0 and poo poo, so I've essentially finished the DLC, I'm just trying to tick all them boxes.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There's an armor set and a sword somewhere in the tower, when I examine it the game goes "Alas, but nothing happened." What's up with this?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's an armor set and a sword somewhere in the tower, when I examine it the game goes "Alas, but nothing happened." What's up with this?

Come back after F-K.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Come back after you kill the boss.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah Sir Alonne was such a great fight. Can you get his weapon and armor? They look awesome.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Apparently if you fight Raime dressed as Veldstat, he instantly enters hyper mode. A+ From

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4aOFp1OI4

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Apparently if you fight Raime dressed as Veldstat, he instantly enters hyper mode. A+ From

Apparently even a single piece of his armor, worn by anyone entering the room, will trigger it.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I found Smelter Demon again is this progress or did i miss a path?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Okay after some cosPvP I have changed my mind about the Fume UGS. The L2 (because it should be in your left hand for authenticity) actually blocks during the windup, so if you time it right it's basically a UGS counter. It's fantastic.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Smornstein posted:

I found Smelter Demon again is this progress or did i miss a path?

Optional. Go further down (or further up if you already went down)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a chest with like eight somewhere. Explore the foyer, take the elevators. You'll find them eventually.

I swear I've gone to every room with those elevators, I found the chest with 4 in them but I can't find anymore.

Also gently caress fume knight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Okay after some cosPvP I have changed my mind about the Fume UGS. The L2 (because it should be in your left hand for authenticity) actually blocks during the windup, so if you time it right it's basically a UGS counter. It's fantastic.

It also has the same move for the opposite back shoulder button when 2handed (i.e. l2 in the right hand, r2 in the left hand).

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

I swear I've gone to every room with those elevators, I found the chest with 4 in them but I can't find anymore.

Also gently caress fume knight.

I figured it out:

After you defeat Fume Knight, the armor at the Smelter Throne Bonfire will be glowing and with the Ashen Mist Heart you will be able to go to a new area. Defeat the Boss there and in the next room holds a Iron Rod.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

As someone who hasn't done all the new DLC yet, mind breaking what's so mindblowing here down? (in spoiler tags I guess)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

As someone who hasn't done all the new DLC yet, mind breaking what's so mindblowing here down? (in spoiler tags I guess)

Raime has a beef with Veldstat so when you enter the room dressed like Veldstat Raime gets pissed and goes straight into hyper mode, which normally happens when you get Raime's health down to about half

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Raime was the knight who betrayed Vendrick and was defeated by Velstadt or something, so he went off to find power elsewhere. Basically Velstadt just makes him angry.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a boss down the spiral staircase with the cursing aura and invader and enemies that resurrect after you cross the second chain bridge or is it just items that i'm getting killed trying to get to?

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|
This DLC is really good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Is there a boss down the spiral staircase with the cursing aura and invader and enemies that resurrect after you cross the second chain bridge or is it just items that i'm getting killed trying to get to?

It's actually a dumb greatsword with ridiculous stat requirements and nothing special about it.

vvvOh, alright then.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 27, 2014

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

If you really wanna know what's down there, do it.

But seriously you get the Majestic Greatsword (Artorias Sword) which gives you the flipping jump attack when you press R2 and equip it in your left hand. Also there is no boss.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The curse is coming from an Ash Idol that you need to kill with a Iron Rod. It gets rid of the curse and resurrecting enemies

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's actually a dumb greatsword with ridiculous stat requirements and nothing special about it.

You might be using it wrong.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Spoilers ahoy:

About 3 quarters down there's an alcove with an idol you need to stake, when you do the curse aura goes away and the resurrecting dudes can be killed for good. At the bottom in a chest there's the majestic greatsword (aka sword of Artorias). What I did was wear the ring of binding, lure the first respawning dude to the top of the tower & kill him there and then haul rear end to the idol while killing the regular enemies on the way. You'll probably have to to the lure&kill routine at least a couple of times if you take too long taking out the trash on the way down.

e: edited for spoilers, also beaten.

Cascade Failure fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 27, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

People kept calling the Ashen Warrior Sword the new BSS, and those people are very dumb.

This is because nobody posted upgraded stats for any of the weapons and they all have absolutely useless improvements when you reinforce them, for whatever reason. All the new straight swords appear to be fairly weak, I've heard a few comments that the fume sword seems good but info on it seems scarce, I assume most people went for the UGS :v:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

This is because nobody posted upgraded stats for any of the weapons and they all have absolutely useless improvements when you reinforce them, for whatever reason. All the new straight swords appear to be fairly weak, I've heard a few comments that the fume sword seems good but info on it seems scarce, I assume most people went for the UGS :v:

I'm using a fully upgraded Dark Fume Sword and it's pretty much just a dark Sun Sword with a better moveset.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Flytrap posted:

So let me see if I got this timeline right.

So the OIK has actually been dead for a long, long while. He's actually gone by the time Nadi showed up.

When Nadi does show up, she's super pissed that the land is already dead that she just kind of spreads herself all over the place or something, I'll have to look into that more.

Raime then shows up to check out what the gently caress is happening over at the old smelting pit, only to find he has the hots for Nadi, and decides to set up shop there.

That sound about right?

This is a bunch of probably baseless speculation, but the Fume Knight arena looks kind of like a kiln. In fact, descending to the bottom of the tower, you can see there's a huge stone sword sticking up from the arena-dome, giving it the appearance of a massive bonfire gone cold. The area is also located below the giant flame tower that powers the whole place, though I'm not sure in what way that may relate. The ashen idol you find immediately after the Fume Knight fight looks a lot like it might've been the remains of Nadi's physical body; it's different than the others, it looks burnt out and it's sitting on a throne. Considering Raime was smitten with her and is keeping a part of her soul, it's fair to suspect he's "protecting" her. Additionally, the text for the pyromancies you find in the DLC allude to Eygil (who was loyal to the OIK) trying to give flame a will of it's own.

I'm not sure how this works into the timeline of the kingdom, but I feel like with the massive preoccupation with fire, this kingdom had to be at least vaguely aware of and was perhaps at some point working towards replicating the first flame - seeing as it's located in a different region than the throne of want. Or perhaps there's no longer just a singular "kiln". Maybe this kingdom, during its prime, once had its own link to the first flame similar to the throne of want. The most interesting thing to me, if any of this holds water, is how the OIK's exploits relate to Nadi seeing as she's clearly a shard who appeared a bit too late in the timeline.

Two obvious holes I've noticed in this are: it's a sword sticking up from the arena, not a dull-edged fire poker as is the case with the bonfires you use in game, and the dome itself is made up of mostly ash and what looks like a destroyed version of the giant elevator statue/armor things.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Daynab posted:

I'm using a fully upgraded Dark Fume Sword and it's pretty much just a dark Sun Sword with a better moveset.

Yeah, I'm diggin it on my hexer because the moveset is cool. I've really got no idea how it compares to other weapons damage wise. It's fun to use. So it the Spontoon. That's probably my favorite item from this DLC.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else thought there was going to be an Iron Dragon since it said something like that in the key description?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Daynab posted:

What's its AR / scaling like?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I love almost everything about this DLC and think it far exceeds even Shulva. My biggest complaint is no new sorceries, but we'll probably see several in the next one, I'm swooning over these new pyromancies in the meantime.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

This was the first DLC I played and after beating Fume Knight and Sir Alonne I really enjoyed it. I kicked my rear end for sure, and by the end I ended up using all of my hoarded vanilla game boss souls to crank my health and attack stats. And Fume Knight was a bastard to fight but the Sir Alonne fight left a good impression. Now I gotta defeat Smelter 2.0 clear the whole thing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it actually possible to defeat Fume Knight? Once he hits Phase 2 he just becomes too swift and powerful (1500+ damage a hit) for me to keep up with.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
No, he's actually unbeatable.

My issue with the Fume Sword is that if you infuse it, you can't also buff it. Which is really dumb.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

I have ascended.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I recomend using a shield against phase 2. It's possible to dodge his quick swipes but I found it much simpler to just guard against them than time them.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

I have ascended.

it's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Thumbtacks posted:

I have ascended.

Fine work!