Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Duck_King posted:

Those are all great, thank you very much. My dad is something of a blue dog democrat, and he fixes windows in a lot of low income apartment complexes, so he assumes that everyone on welfare is some baby mama sitting around smoking dope all day. Whenever we argue in person, he changes the subject, so I feel like this time he can't get away. He's not stupid, so I'm hoping that seeing the statistics will help sway him a little.

The person who started the topic is his sister.

Bloody hell that's an excellent response. Normally I don't have much hope when people get involved but that's the sort of thing which has a chance. Helps that you sound like an excellent person, too. Caring for elderly relatives itself is a massively underestimated benefit to the economy - I know that in the UK we assume that carers save the country billions a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

miscellaneous14 posted:

I saw this thing posted on Facebook today:

I don't know if it's just me, but I get a strong "millennials!! :bahgawd:" vibe from this one.

I immediately thought of my 60 year old brother-in-law.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does someone have the run down that points out the stupidity of the "20 habits of successful people"?

I am seeing it pop up on my feed because Dave Ramsey put it on his blog?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It's little more than a circle jerk of habits rich people can afford, or have the opportunity, to do. Stuff like 'hobbies' are impossible to do when you're punching 75 hours a week. So for most of it he just completely misinterpreted the cause and effect- rich people have these habits because they can. Moreover, because they had the social support and socioeconomic freedom to develop and maintain said habits.

Not to mention the sampling used by the guy who produced the list is mind bogglingly dumb and lacking in any sort of academic rigor. The groups are very unequal and biased as he pretty much interviewed his friends. Not to mention the flagrant ethical violations revolving around informed consent are striking as well.

That's my take as a guy who researches social psychology. There's nothing in that 'study' to be taken even slightly seriously.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Poor people would be much better off if they'd just listen to the advice that their lawyers and accountants are giving them.

What? They don't have lawyers or accountants? No wonder they have so much trouble with their finances and the law. "A man who is his own Lawyer/Accountant has a fool for a client."

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Duck_King posted:

Those are all great, thank you very much. My dad is something of a blue dog democrat, and he fixes windows in a lot of low income apartment complexes, so he assumes that everyone on welfare is some baby mama sitting around smoking dope all day. Whenever we argue in person, he changes the subject, so I feel like this time he can't get away. He's not stupid, so I'm hoping that seeing the statistics will help sway him a little.

The person who started the topic is his sister.

Goddamn, this is an amazing response. I wish this had been around before Christmas so I could have snagged some of the points to present to my mother, who's a wonderful, loving, extremely smart wobbly moderate Republican who voted for Perot twice and doesn't trust Obama, and thinks the terrible approval rating post-shutdown is a sign that nobody wants him in office anymore. I had a half-hour conversation with her about the SNAP cuts and why they're a terrible thing and goddammit woman SNAP is what feeds your grandson you love so much, you're swimming in credit card debt, please don't be lovely. :(

Luckily because she was a special ed teacher for 40 years she at least has a thriving hatred of NCLB and teaching to the test, and supports unions and laughs her rear end off at the people who think teachers are overpaid, so there's that.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's good to see that Robertson doesn't want to let this crap distract everyone from yet another right-wing gambit to gently caress over the troops who fought their wars.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Wow, maybe he should talk about that to magazines instead of his uninformed blanket opinions about other groups of people! Could've saved us all a lot of hassle.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Did he actually say that?

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Here's a friend of mine who I have argued with regarding raising the minimum wage in the past. I gave up when he said a person working 40hrs a week shouldn't be entitled to food and a roof over their heads. He's really upset that the minimum wage is being raised a whole 10 cents(in Ohio) and he's not getting his cut, or something.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

hamster_style posted:

Here's a friend of mine who I have argued with regarding raising the minimum wage in the past. I gave up when he said a person working 40hrs a week shouldn't be entitled to food and a roof over their heads. He's really upset that the minimum wage is being raised a whole 10 cents(in Ohio) and he's not getting his cut, or something.

Oh you're not getting a raise? Guess you shouldn't have made such poor life choices. :smug:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Such hate against people barely making enough to scrape by. Good lord. :smith: I'm glad to know the only reason I made minimum wage for 3+ years was because I made "poor life choices", i guess he would've preferred if I'd gone on welfare?

(Also people hating on raising the minimum wage usually haven't had to make it on minimum wage recently, it hasn't kept up with inflation and it really really sucks)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
There's a whole thread elsewhere in D&D about minwage with several goons arguing it should not exist and that companies should be able to pay people whatever they want :negative: Enjoy!

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Hate to update in such quick succession but the irony of his reply was too much to pass up. And yeah it drives me up the loving wall when I see people hating on folks who are working hard but barely scraping by. We both grew up pretty poor, but I guess the difference is that I don't hate my mom for that whereas he does. If I thought facts would sway him I'd give it another go, but I'm certain they'd just be skimmed over and met with an anecdotal rebuttal.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Duh. If you're poor just go to college.

What do you mean you can't afford college? Can't you just borrow a few grand from your parents?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

What do you mean you can't afford college? Can't you just borrow a few grand from your parents?

If you can't do that, get some student loans! By the time you finish college, the job market will be great and you can bootstrap yourself a career to pay them off!

Remember, if I fail, it's those people holding me down. If you fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
"They've made poor life choices" is basically white_middle_class_privilege.txt. Whining about someone else getting a ten cent wage raise, Jesus Christ that's bitter.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I remember when they raised the minimum wage back in 1996 by $.50, and immediately all the merchants in town posted signs saying "Prices increasing by $.50!"

Oh wait, that didn't happen at all. Not that the $.50 made a big dent in my pocket.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Whoops, you went to college and still can't get a job and now owe $500 a month in student loan payments. Poor life decisions all around!

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
"In a capitalist society the price of goods is directly proportional only to the price of labor" is a hilarious conservative meme that all the talking heads tout and the base just eats up. Even if the price of literally everything went up by 10 cents it wouldn't even be a huge deal. Oh the dollar menu is now the dollar ten menu? What a shame.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

prom candy posted:

Dunno, but he did (in 2009) say this:

quote:

At a Sportsmen’s Ministry talk in 2009, Robertson had some advice for a young man.

“Make sure that she can cook a meal, you need to eat some meals that she cooks, check that out,” he said. “Make sure she carries her Bible. That’ll save you a lot of trouble down the road. And if she picks your ducks, now, that’s a woman.”

“They got to where they’re getting hard to find,” Robertson remarked. “Mainly because these boys are waiting until they get to be about 20 years old before they marry ‘em. Look, you wait until they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket.”

The Duck Commander company founder added: “You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16, they’ll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that of course.”

He went on to say that the Bible gave Americans the right to hunt.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

hamster_style posted:

Hate to update in such quick succession but the irony of his reply was too much to pass up. And yeah it drives me up the loving wall when I see people hating on folks who are working hard but barely scraping by. We both grew up pretty poor, but I guess the difference is that I don't hate my mom for that whereas he does. If I thought facts would sway him I'd give it another go, but I'm certain they'd just be skimmed over and met with an anecdotal rebuttal.

Go To School:

See you dumb poors, if you just take 20% of your pre-tax income, or roughly $3,000, then you can pay for one year at a two-year college. It's only a little more than twice as many hours at minimum wage as it was 30 years ago, you should be able to handle it. Or if you're really a hard worker, go for the 4 year private institution. If you work about 62 hours a week at minimum wage you can afford that school and only that school. It's totally in your reach! What about food and housing? Well, guess you aren't making the tough sacrifices here.

:suicide:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 30, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
And of course you have to factor in things like, y'know, living, extending that time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

"They've made poor life choices" is basically white_middle_class_privilege.txt. Whining about someone else getting a ten cent wage raise, Jesus Christ that's bitter.

A healthy amount of opposition in the minimum wage thread over there is blaming sweatshop workers for making poor life choices.

If they were just a bit more frugal, they'd be owning the sweatshops!

bobservo posted:

Whoops, you went to college and still can't get a job and now owe $500 a month in student loan payments. Poor life decisions all around!

Funny you should say that...

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 30, 2013

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

VitalSigns posted:

To be fair, expecting to get a $160,000 job right out of law school is super dumb, even if you went to a top school. The law school I went to described those sorts of jobs as what the absolute top of the class over-achieving Moot Court and Law Review Editor students got right out of school, and that most of us could only dream of that much. If the writer of the article thought he could easily get a $160K/year job upon graduation, he was either misled, stupid, or wildly optimistic about his academic performance.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what article is being referred to, the writer may not be saying that at all.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Macaroni posted:

I remember when they raised the minimum wage back in 1996 by $.50, and immediately all the merchants in town posted signs saying "Prices increasing by $.50!"

Oh wait, that didn't happen at all. Not that the $.50 made a big dent in my pocket.

I worked in fast food at a local place when the minimum wage went from 4.25 to 4.75, the owner was madder then hell and kept talking about how he'd show people by jacking up prices. I think some menu items went up a whole 5-10 cents, but as it turns out, people will pay 5 cents extra for a blizzard.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

smilingfish posted:

Disclaimer: I have no idea what article is being referred to, the writer may not be saying that at all.

The article in question:
I Consider Law School A Waste Of My Life And An Extraordinary Waste Of Money

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I was walking out to my car to get lunch, and one of my coworkers stopped me to tell me this one about a lady in Texas who shot a purse thief until the gun went "click," citing it as a news story he'd read earlier this morning. I knew I'd heard it before, so I found the Snopes page to email to him after I got back to my desk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Goddamn that last paragraph:

"The point isn't to make a perfect economic assessment, and even if you did, you're still in serious risk that your chosen job market is going to suck, but you should still try to make an economic assessment anyway, and the fact that this guy didn't means that he obviously deserves the dire straits he's found, meantime people who did try to make economic assessments regarding their preferred professions but failed anyway because honestly who can predict that poo poo will be able to pay off their loans through the power of knowing that they tried their best"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

CitizenKain posted:

I worked in fast food at a local place when the minimum wage went from 4.25 to 4.75, the owner was madder then hell and kept talking about how he'd show people by jacking up prices. I think some menu items went up a whole 5-10 cents, but as it turns out, people will pay 5 cents extra for a blizzard.

Papa Johns guy ranted about Obamacare forcing him to raise pizza prices. Ignoring the franchise issues, it was like 12 cents per pizza or something stupid.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

prom candy posted:

"Of course I said that. I speak directly into the hearts of all True Americans." -Phil Robertson

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I don't care who said it, it's pretty much spot-on; veteran's benefits are way more important than a millionaire's TV show and this "Stand with Phil" poo poo is loving nonsense. If it gets delivered in a way that right-wingers are more apt to listen to, all the better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Even so, that doesn't mean the two are mutually exclusive (or even relevant to each other). It's more or less like saying "stop bitching, there's children starving in Africa".

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The people calling him entitled in the facebook comments obviously didn't read the article. He clearly states he didn't expect to be one of the people making six figures but at least thought he could make a livable wage, when the reality was he ended up working for free for three months and then making $1000 a month. Anyone who says a law school graduate should have expected that is full of poo poo.

As someone who did look into law school and jumped through all the bullshit hoops and paid all the money to go through LSAC, I get bombarded with school solicitations making all kinds of promises that are blatant bullshit if you spend even thirty minutes doing research on Google. Law school solicitation is heavily reminiscent of that of for-profit schools like Phoenix or ITT Tech these days.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who graduated Harvard Law and did get one of those top firm jobs talk me out of law school. She told me about two former Harvard classmates, one delivering pizzas and another working retail because those paid better than any legal work they could find. US law schools are absolutely a racket at this point in time where the cost is not at all justified by the prospective rewards and there really should be some sort of effort to regulate it. At the very least the misleading statistics they use should be illegal.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Okay. A lot of what that guy said was true. It sounds like his law school really misled him. I don't known if he's in a city with a hell of a lot more big law firm jobs, but at my school it was much less than the top 20% that got the cushy jobs, it was more like 5%.

But $200,000? I got out with only $75,000 in debt.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

MisterBadIdea posted:

I don't care who said it, it's pretty much spot-on; veteran's benefits are way more important than a millionaire's TV show and this "Stand with Phil" poo poo is loving nonsense. If it gets delivered in a way that right-wingers are more apt to listen to, all the better.

Really? You condone putting words in mouthes of public figures, as long as it gets a message across, even though they themselves don't necessarily agree with it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

smilingfish posted:

Why is this relevant?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

smilingfish posted:

Okay. A lot of what that guy said was true. It sounds like his law school really misled him. I don't known if he's in a city with a hell of a lot more big law firm jobs, but at my school it was much less than the top 20% that got the cushy jobs, it was more like 5%.

Tuition at a top 20 school with no scholarships is probably around 50k a year plus room and board for 3 years plus books. It's not that outlandish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goddamn that last paragraph:

"The point isn't to make a perfect economic assessment, and even if you did, you're still in serious risk that your chosen job market is going to suck, but you should still try to make an economic assessment anyway, and the fact that this guy didn't means that he obviously deserves the dire straits he's found, meantime people who did try to make economic assessments regarding their preferred professions but failed anyway because honestly who can predict that poo poo will be able to pay off their loans through the power of knowing that they tried their best"

It's also bullshit because of the high pressure sale tactics employed on people to get them to enter into huge debt. Your average highschool 17/18 year old or afterwards 22/23 year old potential grad student are often told by everyone they know and trust in their family and also social and academic circles to do it and the university salesman is telling them they won't be anything without this specific degree. I'm not saying that secondary education is bad but its super dishonest how learning institutions and societey itself pressures the vulnerable into taking on huge (non-dischargeable) debt that might very well might not pay off. It doesn't hurt that lots of people look down on those who don't go to college or further, and instead decide to learn a trade, even if the latter often winds up being more lucrative.