Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A Tartan Tory posted:

So uh, without much in the way of spoilers, can anyone point me in the direction of a build where I am not completely gimping myself but can still do all the charisma/settlement stuff?

Just play how you want to and put in points in Charisma when you level when you feel like it. Don't gimp yourself for a terrible perk tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

A Tartan Tory posted:

So uh, without much in the way of spoilers, can anyone point me in the direction of a build where I am not completely gimping myself but can still do all the charisma/settlement stuff?

You need 6 cha for the first local leader perk (setting up supply lines). There's another down the line to set up markets and poo poo but you can invest points in CHA if you really want that later on.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

A Tartan Tory posted:

There's no bad build because there's no level cap so you can fill out the entire perk table if you are insane enough.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tenzarin posted:

Serious I spend time and resources building walls completely around my bases making a choke point at the entrance.

When I finally get to take part in a raid, everyone runs right outside and starts shooting with no care about cover or staying safe.

They do this even when not under attack. My hangman's alley people all run halfway across the city any time there's gunfire. One of my guys at the castle ran all the way around the lake to attack a mirelurk that was just chilling there.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah I like that although I renamed mine Kneecaps because gently caress the french.

you're one of those people who use the term "freedom fries" unironically, aren't you?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

How the hell dare they let me build stairs up to the highway overpass at the robot hydroponics farm if it's collapsed at both ends and doesn't go anywhere? :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

I don't understand the tears about Corvega, I walked in the front door, killed the dudes. It was no more or less of a slog than literally any other building I've done the same in.

Fighting in the catwalks can be a right bastard because you can aggro about 15 raiders or something all at once and they're all positioned high up, it can be really hard to get cover from them and you basically need to sit and plink at them slowly to get by without getting shot to poo poo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mailer posted:

I don't think it's so much where you're going as it is a combination of your luck on loot and/or speccing for upgrades. It took ~40 hours before the game dropped a good shotgun for me but I probably could have modded my own if I'd known in advance where points should go. It also feels like everything does the full speed sideways run all over the place more than earlier games.

Most of the basic equipment is fairly cheap this time around if you can't get a random drop of something you want. It's pretty easy to break even on a trade, with things like food and bullets being worth as much as they are now.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Ya got a dangerous look about 'ya. Hope ya ain't here fer' me.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

How the hell dare they let me build stairs up to the highway overpass at the robot hydroponics farm if it's collapsed at both ends and doesn't go anywhere? :argh:

I'll be using it as my vertibird landing strip once that's modded in :getin:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

A Tartan Tory posted:

Eight Charisma is where it's at. Pass out explosives, flamethrowers and Fatmen to your companions then watch the joy happen all around you.

Everything will be on fire!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok Vault 81 is pretty good. I like that it's just its own settlement (besides the thing), and that it's established contact with the Commonwealth, it just doesn't really care.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Azhais posted:

They do this even when not under attack. My hangman's alley people all run halfway across the city any time there's gunfire. One of my guys at the castle ran all the way around the lake to attack a mirelurk that was just chilling there.

I also found a settler in a cell but at this point I wasn't responding to settlements requests for help so I didn't have a quest to save them and all i could do was trade.

I left the door open for them and killed all the raiders, pretty sure they died in that cell.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I just had my very first quest with the BoS when I helped some paladin retrieve a transmitter. Can I wipe them out down the road, or is that out of the question?

nopants fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 17, 2015

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

are there quests for random buildings of raiders or stuff like the national guard armory? i just wander around and clear these places out and never get that much xp or loot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nopants posted:

I just had my very first involvement with the BoS when I helped some guy retrieve a transmitter. Can I wipe them out down the road, or is that out of the question?

You must wait in till the right time to strike.

ThePriceIsRight posted:

are there quests for random buildings of raiders or stuff like the national guard armory? i just wander around and clear these places out and never get that much xp or loot.

There's alot of repeatable quests and there are alot of places to explore. If a quest has you go back, it will respawn everything and respawn all the items to take again :getin:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The bat you get at Jamaica Plains makes them fly off into the sunset when you hit them, complete with crowd cheer sound effect.

Now where do I get my jetpacks?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ThePriceIsRight posted:

You'll get radiant quests from several factions that'll send you to these places randomly, but you wouldn't be missing out on anything other than a couple hundred caps and some quest xp.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I couldn't fight the urge anymore. I cheated.

My X-01 power armor with built-in Jump Jets and dual Vented Exhaust Legs is absolutely awesome. Finding goodies in high-up places you'd be unable to reach without. Coming down and slamming into the ground in an eruption of flames spreading out over half a city block. Truly epic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Protons posted:

Ya got a dangerous look about 'ya. Hope ya ain't here fer' me.

Well think about it; if you can survive in the wasteland while dressed like an idiot, that must mean you are tough as nails and also insane.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

They mentioned before release there was no level cap. How high of levels have you all managed to reach?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I made John Fallout in this game he's named John Fallout and he looks like some F-list action movie star and he's relentlessly negative to every NPC but he doesn't have the acting chops to sell it so the only time I ever actually have fun is when I'm building a settlement. That's a drat fail

Otacon posted:

My X-01 power armor with built-in Jump Jets and dual Vented Exhaust Legs is absolutely awesome. Finding goodies in high-up places you'd be unable to reach without. Coming down and slamming into the ground in an eruption of flames spreading out over half a city block. Truly epic.

Source your quotes bitch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

khy posted:

They mentioned before release there was no level cap. How high of levels have you all managed to reach?

Someone said a handful of pages ago that they were level 75 which seems fuckin bonkers to me because I'm at lv. 18 right now and have been playing for 15 hours on my current save.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I gave an alcoholic some Nuka Cola and now he works for me. This settlement stuff is pretty neat.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

I'm supposed to go check on Virgil but He's hostile to me. No idea why. He's a human now, I gave him the serum. But he shoots me.

Lmfao I can't believe they brought back Liberty Prime and Macready and created a cure for FEV mutation wtf

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Lmfao I can't believe they brought back Liberty Prime and Macready and created a cure for FEV mutation wtf

I liked Liberty Prime but yeah my initial reaction was 'huh liberty prime as the BoS' trump card again eh?'

Then later I heard Elder dildo talking about marching it right up to the Institute's doors and that really made me think about just how idiotic that plan is considering the institute is loving underground. Just use the teleporter hijacker or if that's only a one time deal then send the player in strapped to the teeth. Instead of Liberty Prime build some gently caress off badass power armor with a minigun fatman and I'll get the job done.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 17, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool all my settlers spontaneous stopped doing their jobs so they're starving.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool all my settlers spontaneous stopped doing their jobs so they're starving.

They've become goons.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

created a cure for FEV mutation wtf

what's so bad about that

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that seems to happen everytime I send someone back to a settlement, be it a new settler or companion, they also turn off all the defenses and pumps while they're at it. Happens even if I switch out companions while at that settlement.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Internet Kraken posted:

Well think about it; if you can survive in the wasteland while dressed like an idiot, that must mean you are tough as nails and also insane.

That's the kind of guy that travels via motorcycle, sound effects and all. Vroom Vroom!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

frajaq posted:

what's so bad about that

It has the potential to undo a good chunk of the setting which is not a tool I think anyone wants Bethsoft to have

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

what's so bad about that

Um. If its not in the Fallout bible then it shouldn't exist.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Internet Kraken posted:

I like to think that the official backstory for the vault dweller is that they were driven insane by the unfreezing process. Symptoms include borderline personality and mood swings, violent tendencies, near-suicidal disregard for one's own safety, compulsive behavior including looting and hoarding and constant worrying about personal appearance and health, cannibalism, compulsive lying, disregard for authority, disregard for others' personal property...

...also poor fashion sense.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It has the potential to undo a good chunk of the setting which is not a tool I think anyone wants Bethsoft to have

so what? they own the setting now...

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

:(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bethesda is not gonna get rid of a major part of the setting when its printing them tons of money.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been playing the poo poo out of this game and out of all the new features, I think my favorite little touch has to be the sound of distant gunfire to lead you to interesting encounters. It's a really intuitive indicator that something interesting is happening nearby and following the noise and hearing it go from distant popping sounds into clear gunshots as you get closer is a lot more immersive than just slapping down a marker on your hud.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Someone said a handful of pages ago that they were level 75 which seems fuckin bonkers to me because I'm at lv. 18 right now and have been playing for 15 hours on my current save.

That would be me. I'm currently level 72. 90% of that XP is either from just wandering around Doing Stuff (tm) or, as much as I am ashamed to admit, doing literally like 40 of the repeatable quests for the railroad / brotherhood before it dawned on me that they do not stop generating new ones.

Tinker Tom can shove that loving weather meter right up his irradiated rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

King Vidiot posted:

I like to think that the official backstory for the vault dweller is that they were driven insane by the unfreezing process.

A post that combines headcannon + psychobabble just loving amazing.

• Locked thread