Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MunchE posted:

It's so cute when GAMERZ see companies adopting a wildly successful business model that they personally don't like and go "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I AM YOUR REAL CUSTOMER ME THE GUY WHO WANTS CONSTANT CONTENT FOR NO MONEY WHY AREN'T YOU CATERING TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Those companies are outright manipulating people in ways that ought to be illegal. Publishing buggy and unfinished games, low-effort reskins of Chinese grindfest moneyburning mobile garbage, invasive and obtrusive advertising, lootcrates, data theft, enabling and catering to Nazis, this is one time GAMERZZZZ are right to be pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gamers rise up

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bike tory posted:

Gamers rise up

BOTTOM TEXT

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Broke: Bottom Text
Woke: Underwords

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Blind Rasputin has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Dec 15, 2018

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Screaming Idiot posted:

Those companies are outright manipulating people in ways that ought to be illegal. Publishing buggy and unfinished games, low-effort reskins of Chinese grindfest moneyburning mobile garbage, invasive and obtrusive advertising, lootcrates, data theft, enabling and catering to Nazis, this is one time GAMERZZZZ are right to be pissed off.

So what you're saying...

...is that it's the fault of feminists, SJWs, and post-modern cultural marxists!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dr Christmas posted:

So what you're saying...

...is that it's the fault of feminists, SJWs, and post-modern cultural marxists!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rape jokes are not cool even ironically

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

THAT GAMER IS LITERALLY RISING UP

SLONK THAT poo poo HOMEBODY

BOTTOM TEXT

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
TOP TEXT

CLOWN

BOTTOM TEXT

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Poops Mcgoots posted:

That meme with the guy fretting over two buttons but one is labeled hating on gamers and the other is labeled hating on corporations.

That but bongo cat

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am such a sucker for captions.

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pjp5l14yAe1v8ed2o_480.mp4

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There's been some loving killer ones come out of this.

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pj9d3ddutS1txcis6.mp4

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Horny on Main Gang" got a solid lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

There's been some loving killer ones come out of this.

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pj9d3ddutS1txcis6.mp4

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that one

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MunchE posted:

It's so cute when GAMERZ see companies adopting a wildly successful business model that they personally don't like and go "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I AM YOUR REAL CUSTOMER ME THE GUY WHO WANTS CONSTANT CONTENT FOR NO MONEY WHY AREN'T YOU CATERING TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

To be fair, calling their business practices "successful" is debatable, especially since these companies are always saying things like how sales failed to meet expectations, how games are too expensive to make, etc. You can also question if these practices are "sustainable" or even "ethical," as now things like loot boxes are being investigated.

It's not so much the entitled gamer feeling like companies aren't catering to him, but rather just people saying "Hey, this is a really bad idea and you guys are somehow even managing to execute this bad idea badly."

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah but a lot of it is just that game companies have switched to Hollywood accounting. Activision claims that BLOPS 4 did poorly and it had $500 million in sales.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also gamers are entitled babies. Like a game I like was released, good, and the devs said "okay this game is done and we're moving on to our next project" and a bunch of whiny gamers started complaining that this completed, polished game was "abandoned" and they refunded their games on Steam and left negative reviews because they expected the devs to keep working to add features for free, forever.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It blows my mind that cheap bullshit games are $60 and GTA V or RDR2, with like a $550M production budget are also $60.

Just charge $100 for super premium poo poo. Nerds will pay that poo poo. That's a difference of what, 2 funko pops?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the thing that always gets me is the insane standard of "getting my money's worth" that gamers seem to hold. at full price a game is like 60 dollars. that's the equivalent of maybe three movies at the theater + popcorn, or once nice dinner out on the town. a few hours of entertainment either way. yet they act like if the game doesn't hold their attention for months on end, with a 40 hour single-player campaign and 1000 hours of multiplayer content with new poo poo to do all the time, they somehow got ripped off?

what?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Oh hey, I made that. Psyched that someone liked it enough to save :3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Sezza posted:

Oh hey, I made that. Psyched that someone liked it enough to save :3:

Nice work! I've been sending it to all my friends who know about the zybourne clock lol

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I put BOTTOM TEXT on that picture of Mr. Bean the other night. I'm glad it's getting around.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Jamesman posted:

To be fair, calling their business practices "successful" is debatable, especially since these companies are always saying things like how sales failed to meet expectations, how games are too expensive to make, etc. You can also question if these practices are "sustainable" or even "ethical," as now things like loot boxes are being investigated.

It's not so much the entitled gamer feeling like companies aren't catering to him, but rather just people saying "Hey, this is a really bad idea and you guys are somehow even managing to execute this bad idea badly."

AAA gaming is and will remain an incredibly lucrative space because total revenue has been increasing (due to a larger number of consumers and more exploitative monetization strategies) while costs have been flat or decreasing (engines are fairly mature and labor is treated like poo poo).

sales failed to meet expectations = I really wish the product gave us of millions of salivating addicts and also I need an excuse to fire everyone
games are too expensive to make = I would get much more money if I didn't have to produce a product or pay my employees

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sagebrush posted:

the thing that always gets me is the insane standard of "getting my money's worth" that gamers seem to hold. at full price a game is like 60 dollars. that's the equivalent of maybe three movies at the theater + popcorn, or once nice dinner out on the town. a few hours of entertainment either way. yet they act like if the game doesn't hold their attention for months on end, with a 40 hour single-player campaign and 1000 hours of multiplayer content with new poo poo to do all the time, they somehow got ripped off?

what?

$60 hasn't been the "full" price for a game for years.
Other people have done the math, but, between the DLC packages, expansions, special deluxe editions, and games that require a subscription to some other service (Like needing PS+ to play something like Destiny 2 if you're a PS4 owner), you're shelling out closer to $200 to get the Full Game.

And a lot of that :airquote:Optional:airquote: DLC isn't very optional, since a lot of the games are balanced around the game being so utterly lovely and grindy that it's nigh-impossible to play through if you don't spend extra money on it - See: Any game with lootboxes.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what?

It's probably because there's such a huge variation in games. Like you go to a movie + plus popcorn and you know you're getting 1.5 to 3 hours + popcorn for $x. Same with a night on the town. You'll have a good time for some 4-8 hours with friend or a date for some predictable amount of $$.

But with your $60 game you can get some wet blanket like destiny 2 that barely kept you interested for 6 hours of linear story mode, while also trying to hook you with loot boxes and other slot machines with no spending limit.

Or you can spend $60 for Monster Hunter World and spend 130 hours in it doing all of the things despite the shallow story and repetitive gameplay because it's just more fun. And although there's DLC, it's a finite amount so even if you buy it all you will get exactly what you intend to spend money on instead of gambling in hopes of getting something.

But between those somewhere is a $60 game with a great story but only lasted 8 hours and then you ran out of poo poo to do.

And from a completely different angle you can spend $20 on rocket league and get more time out of it than either of those if you really enjoy the game play.

So it's really hard to pin down the value. The whining really comes into play when you might expect to only buy a game once per quarter, but you're looking for games that will keep you engaged for 3 months. People saying that they want to "get thier money's worth" are saying that compared to another game on the market they spent $60 on and got some number of hours out of that they thought was fair.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I get every game for $10 on Steam three years after it was released and I'm never disappointed.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm buying games later and taking my time with them, and it's working out pretty well. I just got around to Horizon: Zero Dawn because it was 15 bucks a couple weeks ago, and at the pace I'm playing it I'll be playing it for at least another month or two.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Twitch posted:

Yeah, I'm buying games later and taking my time with them, and it's working out pretty well. I just got around to Horizon: Zero Dawn because it was 15 bucks a couple weeks ago, and at the pace I'm playing it I'll be playing it for at least another month or two.

Me too but that's because I only get like 3 hours a week in which I can play video games :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

the_steve posted:

$60 hasn't been the "full" price for a game for years.
Other people have done the math, but, between the DLC packages, expansions, special deluxe editions, and games that require a subscription to some other service (Like needing PS+ to play something like Destiny 2 if you're a PS4 owner), you're shelling out closer to $200 to get the Full Game.

On the other hand, as a lover of Paradox Interactive's titles, I'm pretty glad there's a market model that supports continuous development and updates to released titles. I figure I've spent about $500 between Europa Universalis 4 and Stellaris, and I'm not upset about that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I bought Overwatch for like 30 bucks and it has had no paid DLC's at all. It does have lootboxes, but they're only for skins? Skins that you can just get by playing a well

Overwatch is/was good

I preferred the days of "expansions" to "DLC's". YOu paid 29 dollars and basically got a fully fleshed out sequel to your game. The Warcraft/Starcraft expansions were better than the base game

Now you pay 12 dollars and you get an extra quest or two new maps or whatever, it sucks

Zzulu has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Dec 15, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

what?

to be fair, you're also playing and reporting on fallout 76 in yospos. i paid 2/3rds of the full price for that game and even i have enough shame to have put it away after a few hours

until they fix it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

TOP TEXT

CLUSSY

BOTTOM TEXT

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Jabberlock posted:

I get every game for $10 on Steam three years after it was released and I'm never disappointed.

:same:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Microcline posted:

AAA gaming is and will remain an incredibly lucrative space because total revenue has been increasing (due to a larger number of consumers and more exploitative monetization strategies) while costs have been flat or decreasing (engines are fairly mature and labor is treated like poo poo).

sales failed to meet expectations = I really wish the product gave us of millions of salivating addicts and also I need an excuse to fire everyone
games are too expensive to make = I would get much more money if I didn't have to produce a product or pay my employees

Right, which, again, makes it pretty fair to say AAA publishers can go gently caress themselves, and it has nothing to do with perceived gamer entitlement.

Jabberlock posted:

Same, except replace "Steam" with "literally any other option if I can."