Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

The two missing LLs I can see are Reiksmarshal Kurt Helborg, Grand Master of the Reiksguard Order, who would be into an extremely cavalry-heavy composition compared to Franz' elite hammer and anvil combo, and Boris Todbringer, who would be able to access the Cult of Ulric sub-faction and thematically be a lot less into Imperial firepower and more into Ulrican melee scrapping.
I would have loved Elspeth Von Draken alongside the Amethyst wizard update, but alas

Luminarks: does anyone use them? Generally I’d rather take a cannon for the versatility but I feel like I’m missing something. What’s the appeal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also for the goon who wanted to read some top-notch ratposting

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=764#post494941979

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Scandalous posted:

Luminarks: does anyone use them? Generally I’d rather take a cannon for the versatility but I feel like I’m missing something. What’s the appeal?

With good terrain, Luminarks are a guaranteed kill/rout on single models. This can decide battles before lines even clash, particularly if you dunk on their Lord. They're so good I actively try not to use them unless I really can't think of a unit for a single slot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scandalous posted:

I would have loved Elspeth Von Draken alongside the Amethyst wizard update, but alas

Marius Leitdorf of Averland and Karl's other mustachio'd friend, Ludwig German Name, also seem like options.

And Valten, who's the most interesting except for maybe Elspeth, but he is connected to Storm of Chaos and Storm of Chaos sends Warhammer Fans into conniptions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luminarks are real good at sniping down individual assholes yeah.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Beefeater1980 posted:

As Wolfhart how do you counter those vampirate armies? Bomb gunners are cleaning my clock

Bows wreck zombies. They outrange and outrun zombies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Beefeater1980 posted:

As Wolfhart how do you counter those vampirate armies? Bomb gunners are cleaning my clock

Bring more arrows and shoot them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Do they? I know my Karl Franz works on a hammer-and-anvil Reiksguard + Greatswords approach with his elite anti-large Reiksguard which he recruits at a minimum of rank 5 and normally with gold chevrons, and elite greatswords to hold the line with . Meanwhile Gelt, with his improved powder formulations goes for musketry and a front line that varies; +12% to musketry damage is significant but his front line is mixed (he works really well with the Solland spearmen; his bonuses push them over 100 armour). Volkmar's battle plans are very similar to Karl's but he's riding with demigryph knights with halberds (rather than above the battlefield) and using juiced up flagellants with a 50% missile resistance for his anvil.

As for shootiest faction overall, which of the other shooty factions get fire mages? Because there's some serious synergy between the huntsmarshal fire arrows or flaming sword of rhuin and Kindleflame.
Yeah, I still feel like they play similarly. All three are still going to have, generally, a melee line, guns, and some cavalry to screen the guns. The main differences are going to be the units involved, but not enough to make a difference in how they really play. Franz brings Reiksguard because he makes them anti-large whereas everyone else needs halberd demis, and brings greatsword infantry because he makes them better. Gelt may be the exception because he can make his guns good enough that you don't need cavalry at all (or uses more outriders and pistoliers instead), but I don't think that, say, Franz can just choose to significantly weaken his ranged firepower so he's all hammer/anvil with elite infantry and cavalry instead of infantry screening guns and cavalry on the flanks. I don't know, maybe i just use guns too much anyway and don't exploit Volkmar's and Franz' skills brought.

E: I think that Altdorf should be able to build a Reiksfort that upgrades to Castle Reiksguard because as it is it's weird having to wait to t4 to get them, which is usually why I've already settled into infantry-and-gun armies. It's also odd that the Altdorf college of magic is a) t4 so also can delay you from getting mages but b) stacks with a normal mage tower so you can recruit level 17 mages if you want.

E: don't stand and fight the bomb zombies, you'll need to kite them a bit.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 30, 2019

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Karl being a heavily armored, duelist who is focused on Reiksguard sort of steps on Helborg, who really has nothing else going for him besides those things. And the cult that has sprung up around Toddbringer has confused me for ages, he's yet another mustachioed armored duelist. Unless they roll out Ulrican themed stuff it seems like a waste to just have a slightly more northern start.

Elspeth would be neat and so would Valten, but only if Valten is the designated cheat lord like Grombrindal.

Really though all I really want are Master Engineer heroes. The Empire's pretty great right now and getting a taste of those ammo, damage and range boosts coupled with 15% campaign movement boost in the Markus campaign has left me wanting that in all of my armies.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
K, so apparently the faction intro videos mod doesn’t like Mixu’s LL stuff. Guess it makes some sense; i just expected it to default to some generic case based on race rather than i guess causing an exception. Like show Karl vid if you pick a non-vanilla/non-DLC empire group

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

Really though all I really want are Master Engineer heroes. The Empire's pretty great right now and getting a taste of those ammo, damage and range boosts coupled with 15% campaign movement boost in the Markus campaign has left me wanting that in all of my armies.

There is a mod for one but it just kind of makes gunlines even more important for thr Empire. Until priests and captains start giving stat perks to infantry or cavalry, a hero that exists to give stat perks to some types of units will make them more powerful relatively. I like the mod for flavor though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think SFO gives gunnery bonuses to witch hunters and also has plans for a master engineer hero.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sasgrillo posted:

Karl being a heavily armored, duelist who is focused on Reiksguard sort of steps on Helborg, who really has nothing else going for him besides those things. And the cult that has sprung up around Toddbringer has confused me for ages, he's yet another mustachioed armored duelist. Unless they roll out Ulrican themed stuff it seems like a waste to just have a slightly more northern start.

Elspeth would be neat and so would Valten, but only if Valten is the designated cheat lord like Grombrindal.

The toddy has unique stats including REGEN!!!! in game and a whole variant roster from like 2003 on tabletop. Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uO1A1IpAx0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that's actually toddy but in fact is a function of the wissenland runefang, the ability he gets from his elector count sword.

If you take over wissenland you can give any of your dudes regen, and yes it makes them stupid tanky.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think that's actually toddy but in fact is a function of the wissenland runefang, the ability he gets from his elector count sword.

If you take over wissenland you can give any of your dudes regen, and yes it makes them stupid tanky.

I'm fairly sure that he's from Middenland. Wissenland has... something else

That's mostly because my family is from glorious Wissembourg, the irl version of Wissenland but much smaller and desperately lacking in artillery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can never remember all the loving moon german.

The bit above reikland, with carroburg in it. Cos I remember fighting him in SFO and the loving regen is some bullshit, he can tank half the army by himself.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Gelt may be the exception because he can make his guns good enough that you don't need cavalry at all (or uses more outriders and pistoliers instead), but I don't think that, say, Franz can just choose to significantly weaken his ranged firepower so he's all hammer/anvil with elite infantry and cavalry instead of infantry screening guns and cavalry on the flanks. I don't know, maybe i just use guns too much anyway and don't exploit Volkmar's and Franz' skills brought.

Part of it depends, I think, on which difficulty you play on and part on how you handle endgame cheese stacks. I dislike very hard battle difficulty because the AI stat bonuses for units are just too much to feel fair (in particular you need gunnery because it's not nerfed the way melee is by AI stat bonuses) and part your response to utter cheese stacks (19 necrofex colossi or the like). Mine is "Imperial militia"; when you have enough recruitment buildings the global recruitment time for both halberdiers and handgunners drops to one turn - and when you have enough Imperial Academies you can recruit rank 16 lords (meaning that the general starts on a griffon, the arch lector starts with all three abilities, and the huntsmarshall can do its thing - and all three can have three dots in both Honest Steel and the shooting one). Also you can recruit a full stack somewhere in the Empire in a single turn. And although they'd struggle against high elf archer spam, two of these rapidly recruited halberd & shot stacks can take out just about any single large monster cheese stack while only taking two turns to recruit (and then I demobilise them if there's no one to fight after the big battle).

The elite infantry screening guns with cavalry on the flanks is a good generic option that works, regardless of red line buffs. But if I'm going for a decent amount of red line, and I know what I'm going to be fighting, there are a lot more options available.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:thunk:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Empire’s great thing is that it is incredibly versatile. I’m increasingly fond of keeping cavalry in a trailing reinforcement stack; it makes light cavalry useful and also gives the enemy time to get out of position before you hit them with a charge.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

PlushCow posted:

You're wonderful!

Weapons Teams on Walls is amazing, but make sure you keep an eye on your gunrats up there, because their AI can get a little weird about what they're willing to fire at. I've had a couple of occasions where my jezzails could not be induced for love or money to shoot at something that seemed to be right out in the open.

This is incredible, you're incredible, bless this ratpost.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Finally found some good mods to avoid ai and player doom stacks and increase difficulty curve as your empire expands and now late game is kind of enjoyable again

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

queef anxiety posted:

Finally found some good mods to avoid ai and player doom stacks and increase difficulty curve as your empire expands and now late game is kind of enjoyable again

cool thanks for not sharing what those mods are
feel free to tell us about your breakfast next which will be just as interesting

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you're annoyed with enemies teleporting past forts, give this a try: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1869935542

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

queef anxiety posted:

Whatcha using?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Ammanas posted:

cool thanks for not sharing what those mods are
feel free to tell us about your breakfast next which will be just as interesting

yeah sorry bit of a blog post ill find the links after work

e: im gonna make a breakfast salad

e2: nvm i found them and some others the dude made in a mod list https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1766089433

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 30, 2019

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’ve put together a startpos mod that unlocks the Wood Elves in Laurelorn Forest for personal use, and I’m considering fleshing them out and putting it on the Workshop if it turns out well. Any thoughts on interesting alternative takes on the Wood Elves? Their lore suggests they’re a less isolationist subculture so I’m eyeing relationship bonuses with the Empire, but haven’t settled on an army gimmick yet. Air cavalry maybe, the wood elf equivalent of Tiktaq’To, with modifiers that finally make Great Eagles useful? Open to suggestions!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If they are less isolationist, just change what the buildings do outside of forests.

Less isolationist could mean more conquering or more trade.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Kestral posted:

I’ve put together a startpos mod that unlocks the Wood Elves in Laurelorn Forest for personal use, and I’m considering fleshing them out and putting it on the Workshop if it turns out well. Any thoughts on interesting alternative takes on the Wood Elves? Their lore suggests they’re a less isolationist subculture so I’m eyeing relationship bonuses with the Empire, but haven’t settled on an army gimmick yet. Air cavalry maybe, the wood elf equivalent of Tiktaq’To, with modifiers that finally make Great Eagles useful? Open to suggestions!

Kithband warriors! Nordland allied troop! Ghost striders!

e: honestly just welves with some fancy glade guard and waystalker hero options with good tolerance towards reikland/nordland would be pretty fluffy and fun

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 30, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there any reason not to replace Gelt's entire front line with steam tanks by the endgame?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'd read Gotrek ending up as a reluctant Elector Count.

kidkissinger posted:

Is there any reason not to replace Gelt's entire front line with steam tanks by the endgame?

Lore reasons that there's only 13-ish :v:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kidkissinger posted:

its really sad when a good buddy tank dies ;(

gimmick armies get boring really fast too

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kestral posted:

Weapons Teams on Walls is amazing, but make sure you keep an eye on your gunrats up there, because their AI can get a little weird about what they're willing to fire at. I've had a couple of occasions where my jezzails could not be induced for love or money to shoot at something that seemed to be right out in the open.

This is incredible, you're incredible, bless this ratpost.

Yeah I noticed some of my ratling gunners weren't firing, but the warplock jezzails didn't have that problem and it was a good but losing siege battle, but I don't think it could end any other way (not at my skill level at least). There's like 10+ armies surrounding Skavenblight on my campaign map at the end.

My Ikit Claw was insane at the end too, he had the Sword of Khaine at the 2nd level.

Also I kinda wish I could still watch the game go on, and see who starts to fight who, and maybe make a comeback with an under-city army. I never got to use the doomsphere either :(

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
After beating settra vortex campaign i just wanna give a shoutout to King Lahmizzash for getting his ushabti (great bows) to 250 damage
None can defend

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
This WE campaign turned out differently at least, I like to imagine Orion and Ikit have regular meetups in skavenblight snorting warpstone and getting high together while Ariel complains about him falling in with the wrong crowd :v:

At one point we had pushed all the way up to Altdorf and captured it but Ikit lost it a few turns later :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I started a Skrolk campaign and I'm really digging the Skaven. The Under-Empire stuff is pretty neat and I love their hit and run campaign style. I spec'd Skrolk for spellcasting and its pretty damned fun dropping summons on artillery units and stuff like that.

I really didn't want to push south very far but everyone kept declaring war on me while Itza and VC oddly left me alone. Itza really hates me but just won't declare war for some reason. That little poo poo Teclis even dropped in unexpectedly with 2 full stacks at one point but I was able to cobble together a good ambush force + garrison to neutralize it. So now I own the entire lower half of Lustria and I'm pushing north just because I'm bored. I confederated Ikit who is pretty awesome and I'm happy the Legendary Lords don't have the absolutely pointless Loyalty mechanic, that's something I need to mod out.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Whoever said that you should use lots rocket artillery, the AI in my game seems to have listened to you, it's really scary for low armored wood elves :gonk:
Tactics so far have been wild riders as a diversion while main army hides in a forest, and when the AI tries to move into position to shoot/chase the wild riders, the waywatchers led by a waystalker strikes :unsmigghh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is a rocket but the biggest, boomiest bow?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Third World Reagan posted:

If they are less isolationist, just change what the buildings do outside of forests.

Less isolationist could mean more conquering or more trade.

Hmmm, now I need to look into how to modify buildings, that's an interesting design space for wood elves. Apparently the Eonir elves have a full-blown outpost outside Altdorf in canon, too, so that could be a fun unique building to put across the river from Reikland.

queef anxiety posted:

Kithband warriors! Nordland allied troop! Ghost striders!

Kithband are definitely happening, they're a cool concept! I'm amused by the idea of Kithbands replacing Eternal Guard, making them a lighter and cheaper "militia"-ish unit, and playing up the idea that this is a unit comprised entirely of people who are closely related to each other. Maybe a Leadership bonus and other small modifiers until they take enough damage, at which point they see all their brothers and sisters and children bleeding out around them and go berserk or lose heart.

Ghost Striders as revamped Waystalkers maybe? Inflicting terror by rolling up their sleeves is a hilarious bit of lore. I love that they have a tendency to make "unlikely allies" with Slayers and such, so if I can get something in there to that effect, I'm definitely going to do so.

Nordland allied troops would be rad. Nordland Mariners screening a bunch of Glade Guard is quite a mental image.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

The Gunslinger posted:

I started a Skrolk campaign and I'm really digging the Skaven. The Under-Empire stuff is pretty neat and I love their hit and run campaign style. I spec'd Skrolk for spellcasting and its pretty damned fun dropping summons on artillery units and stuff like that.

I really didn't want to push south very far but everyone kept declaring war on me while Itza and VC oddly left me alone. Itza really hates me but just won't declare war for some reason. That little poo poo Teclis even dropped in unexpectedly with 2 full stacks at one point but I was able to cobble together a good ambush force + garrison to neutralize it. So now I own the entire lower half of Lustria and I'm pushing north just because I'm bored. I confederated Ikit who is pretty awesome and I'm happy the Legendary Lords don't have the absolutely pointless Loyalty mechanic, that's something I need to mod out.

skrolk is really strong. He and a couple of plague priests can practically double your army with cheap disposable trash summons.
Also his items are great. You can comfortably run him with 8-9 plagueclaws because he can plug so many holes in the lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah that all sounds great but why not just come back to Ulthuan, cousins?