Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Iceberg-Slim posted:

I know that joining r/ACAB and r/LateStageCapitalism get you automatically banned from r/police and r/landlords respectively, sure those are more but those are the only two I've seen

Interestingly despite having a big post about auto banning people from certain subs (latestagecapitalism included, which I’ve been in for years), I am not banned from the landlord sub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Interestingly despite having a big post about auto banning people from certain subs (latestagecapitalism included, which I’ve been in for years), I am not banned from the landlord sub

Weird because that goon just said you should be!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I heard if you get banned from reddit you die in real life. Best not to use reddit at all.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
My uncle works at reddit and he said there's a secret code you can put in to ban someone

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FurtherReading posted:

I'm not defending reddit I'm just flabbergasted at how people eat up easily disproved lies.

Reddit site wide bans are doled out arbitrarily by whichever admin account is doing it that moment or not. They also do not effectively communicate why a ban was handed out. Banned users just have to make a guess as to which of their posts got them admin action, which just leads to further ambiguity as to what is or isn't allowed on their site at any given time. No rule they have to act only on recent posts either and it is guaranteed that reddit admins do not act with clarity or consistency.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

goblin week posted:

Shadowbanning has never been real

If you troll spez or other reddit admins they will sometimes shadowban you. I think that it's somehow become the superban in their minds but I actually like my shadowbanned account.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Fun fact: there are actually mods that preemptively ban people for posting in other subs

I'm sure that the guy with a 2 year old account that's done nothing but make monthly posts in PoliticalCompassMemes is going to be a great addition to my community. Good to see him branching out into all that Reddit has to offer.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 14, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't know what shadowbanning was until just now but I saw an old post a day or two ago, from a mod, telling some user that their account is still shadowbanned and to fix their profile or something to remedy that.

I don't get why some of you goons are saying "this is how reddit officially works" when it appears to me to be a very loosely organized and poorly run group of completely random people with random modding rules.

I only begrudgingly go to reddit when it pops up on a google search for something I'm trying to find so I'm not invested in it but some of you need to stop trying to speak with authority on how it's run.

quick edit: I'm only speaking from what I've actually personally experienced. I'm sure I'm somehow wrong though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there's two different things that redditors call shadowbanning
one is admin only and is like the old SA hellban where you can make posts but nobody else can even see them. it's supposed to be used for spambots but the admins sometimes use it on people they dont like
the other one is subreddit moderators setting a bot to auto delete your posts/comments as soon as you make them. they call this the same word because ????.
you don't get any message when your poo poo is deleted so there's a chance you just don't notice it, unlike if they ban you from their board the normal way

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah shadowbanning on reddit is a real thing and people can easily check if someone has been shadowbanned. I assume that guy was referencing how weird right wing people on twitter keep complaining that their low engagement is due to a twitter shadowban which doesn't really exist.

Reddit admins arbitrarily banning people sitewide for having good political takes however is a dumb conspiracy theory made up by people who think claiming they got banned for being too political or whatever will score them browny points. Even that time one of the owners banned people for dunking on some big announcement he made they had emails showing exactly what comment he hit the sitewide ban on.

Edit:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

some of you need to stop trying to speak with authority on how it's run.

I'm gonna snip this line out because you started this whole thing by claiming with authority that there was proof that people got sitewide bans for banal political statements.

It's kinda lovely to claim with authority and then go "actually I'm just too cool to pay enough attention to really know lol". Reddit sitewide bans come with standard form emails quoting the post the ban was triggered on and which ToS was in breach. It's a fact you might be too cool to know but it's a fact all the same. No goon claiming to have been banned for political reasons has shown such a ban mail at this time.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 14, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
leddit go

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I got radowshanned from beddit

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

kalel posted:

radowshanned

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I asked a buddy of mine who got himself banned in the past if he could show me a sample of the email. He couldn't find it but he logged in to his reddit account and showed me this PM.

Rule 2 is

quote:

Post authentic content into communities where you have a personal interest, and do not cheat or engage in content manipulation (including spamming, vote manipulation, ban evasion, or subscriber fraud) or otherwise interfere with or disrupt Reddit communities.

You can see the linked comment doesn't really fit - it was just his most recent comment at the time. His ban was because he was scraping reddit posts for his day job and used the same computer to check reddit. That's the rule they use to ban bots apparently. (As an aside it was an interesting if sad project - they were scraping NSFW subreddits used for sex trafficking to collect evidence, I could reach out and ask him to give more info on how traffickers were using reddit at the time if people are interested in just how awful the site can be)

Anyway this is kind of like what proof would look like if there is someone who was really banned for being too left wing. If this has really happened to someone here - just log in to the banned account and check your DMs for the notice. Maybe it's possible that a rogue admin permabans people in another way, but based on the experience of people I know in real life rather than random goons, this is what it looks like when reddit bans accounts.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: eh gently caress it

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 14, 2024

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think mods use the preemptive ban for their subs the same way normal Redditors have turned the mental health check thing into a “burn”

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I got banned from reddit because I'm hot and everyone likes me and also I get to do sex at people sometimes and THEY HATE THAT.

:siren: sick freak alert :siren:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I made a reddit account to yell at people enjoying true detective night country because they are sick freaks and was banned from the “i like true detective night country because my parents are siblings and my mom huffed paint while pregnant and i’m ok with AI generated tv shows and also im ugly and stupid” subreddit.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

kntfkr posted:

I made a reddit account to yell at people enjoying true detective night country because they are sick freaks and was banned from the “i like true detective night country because my parents are siblings and my mom huffed paint while pregnant and i’m ok with AI generated tv shows and also im ugly and stupid” subreddit.

Thank you for your service :hai:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/jErk/status/1790035532170351090?t=AGTyqXmU3H9hbO7GdgjHTg&s=19

lol

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The popular feed keeps suggesting r/looksmaxxing which seems to be the newest form of hot women posting selfies and all the incels flooding in to drop the most pathetic "burns" or creepy horny posting.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I also saw that float to the top and immediately thought "gross"

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
100 upvotes, 2500 comments lmao

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

im thinking of trying postmaxxing. any tips?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Phrenology is back baby. It’s good again aaauuuoooooo!!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kevin Bacon posted:

That’s when you try and get a date by posting really hard. Honestly it’s a better dating strategy than most incels employ.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Kevin Bacon posted:

be a woman posting here in the early 2000s and let the magic happen

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm sort of amazed they Reddit hasn't tried to just create its own onlyfans revenue scheme with how much traffic they drive

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

The popular feed keeps suggesting r/looksmaxxing which seems to be the newest form of hot women posting selfies and all the incels flooding in to drop the most pathetic "burns" or creepy horny posting.

Is it "look maxxing" or "look, Smaxxing"?

fake edit: wow, that image has just all the pixels.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Do they have an insane number system that penalizes women for not being the moderators current fixation?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now I'm worried it's like the incel subs where they have names for the length of the bit between the nose and lips.

And care about wrist circumference.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm pretty sure we are denigrating the same creeps from different angles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Same creeps, different subs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Same creeps, different subs.

They should look to see if they could contain all the creeps to one sub and then I dunno light it on fire or something.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dr_rat posted:

They should look to see if they could contain all the creeps to one sub and then I dunno light it on fire or something.

didn’t lowtax try that once?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

didn’t lowtax try that once?

Yeah where do you think GBS came from?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Thought that was ADTRW?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The worst subforum is the one I don't post in, those are so bad grrr.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now I'm worried it's like the incel subs where they have names for the length of the bit between the nose and lips.

I believe that's a MERV rating.

You know, for philtrum efficiency.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

But they could’ve just… ah gently caress it.