Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

Is the bottom one the new one? Christ that's bad. How many cameras does it need so you can see enough to park it?

hah.

It has a backup camera like all new cars. I am tall enough that I can see out of the car just fine. The pillars are narrower than they were on the preceding car, so I believe the overall visibility is marginally better than it used to be, but still firmly considered 'awful'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love the alpha platform, but I like being able see more. I dream of an alpha sedan (well, wagon but that's never loving happening so wololol) with an N/A V8.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Sick burn on people that make $30K/year.

I'm in the military and we all make way more than 30k/yr.

Edit: Canadian military. Only people making 30k are fresh recruits and officer cadets but that doesn't last long

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I love the alpha platform, but I like being able see more. I dream of an alpha sedan (well, wagon but that's never loving happening so wololol) with an N/A V8.

Ah the ATS-V is...close. But a turbo six is no V8...

If you're more concerned with getting that Alpha platform balance and handling though... and the used market on the things isn't too ridiculous... then...

An Alpha-platform sports sedan you can see out of! Augh but it's not quite right

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Monkey Fracas posted:

How much better is the visibility in the Mustang compared to the Camaro anyways? I mean they both have compromised vis compared to non-sporty cars.

I got this out of Car and Driver, and sadly its Corvette vs Mustang, but I think its still relevant.

The C7 Corvette to me had way worse visibility vs say the older C5 and C6. That being said, I felt I could see a lot more in the C7 vs the Camaro I sat in and drove.
According to this diagram, the Mustang has quite a better view over the C7 corvette. I assume this would be true vs the Camaro as well.

http://imgur.com/a/fSTCH

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 31, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gently caress jon nvoollkysssch ir whatever the gently caress that guys name is. gently caress him so hard

Bring back normal car names and give me my Cadillac with a V8 goddamnit. Stop trying to copy Audi it didn't work with Infiniti either you failing up euro pigdog

I'm going to write a letter. You should all write letters too

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 31, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Franco Caution posted:

I got this out of Car and Driver, and sadly its Corvette vs Mustang, but I think its still relevant.

The C7 Corvette to me had way worse visibility vs say the older C5 and C6. That being said, I felt I could see a lot more in the C7 vs the Camaro I sat in and drove.
According to this diagram, the Mustang has quite a better view over the C7 corvette. I assume this would be true vs the Camaro as well.

That doesn't seem to say much. If the lack of rear visibility is the only difference (you'd use the mirror most of get time), the diagram is not definitive for being able to judge corners of the car.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Franco Caution posted:

Yeah, it looks noticeably worse. I'd have to sit in the Camaro and Mustang again to get a great idea of how much the Camaro would be a drag in day-to-today life though. People tell me it's terrible and looking at those comically small windows I'm inclined to believe them lol

Be like driving a moving truck every time you back up

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thats one of the reasons Ive never taken it further than a test drive with the Camaro. I just cant imagine paying 30-60k for a vehicle where every time I drove it, I felt like I was moving out of my house and taking a huge load of poo poo that blocks my view somewhere.
Also gently caress the trunk and its silly little hole.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Camaro feels confining in a way that isn't adequately represented with those visibility plots. You can't really see the sky above you, or the ground below you when you look to the side because the windows are only about 4" in height.

I say this as somebody who preferred how the Camaro drove, thought it was a better value, and then bought a Mustang anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Franco Caution posted:

Is there no rearview mirror in the C7? WTF?

I mean, looking over your left shoulder in the Mustang isn't very helpful, and the A pillars are strangely thick (due to air bags, I think)...but wow.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 31, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ilkhan posted:

Is there no rearview mirror in the C7? WTF?

I mean, looking over your left shoulder in the Mustang isn't very helpful, and the A pillars are strangely thick (due to air bags, I think)...but wow.

Yeah there is, I've sat in one. I don't understand why they would just discount any rear visibility using the mirror for this pie chart. You can certainly argue it's thinner than say a C5 but a 360 degree chart doesn't take into account vertical range.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Twerk from Home posted:

The Camaro feels confining in a way that isn't adequately represented with those visibility plots. You can't really see the sky above you, or the ground below you when you look to the side because the windows are only about 4" in height.

I say this as somebody who preferred how the Camaro drove, thought it was a better value, and then bought a Mustang anyway.

It's incredibly hilarious seeing people driving with the window down and trying to rest their arm on the sill.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

gently caress jon nvoollkysssch ir whatever the gently caress that guys name is. gently caress him so hard

Bring back normal car names and give me my Cadillac with a V8 goddamnit. Stop trying to copy Audi it didn't work with Infiniti either you failing up euro pigdog

I'm going to write a letter. You should all write letters too

Rename the CTS and CT6 Fleetwood, Deville or Eldorado and put a N/A V8 option above the V6 and below the V-series.

Also name the ATS the Cimarron. :v:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

*cough* Catera *cough*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rename the CTS and CT6 Fleetwood, Deville or Eldorado and put a N/A V8 option above the V6 and below the V-series.

Yes yes yes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Twerk from Home posted:

The ATS is selling like poo poo, so a savvy negotiator could probably get one for the same price as a Camaro

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

The ATS is selling like poo poo, so a savvy negotiator could probably get one for the same price as a Camaro

It doesn't come with the LT1.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

tijag posted:

It doesn't come with the LT1.

Probably why it's selling so bad

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Judging by this progression, the car won't actually have windows within 3 more re-designs.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The best take on the Bentayga http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/someone-turned-a-toyota-venza-into-a-bentley-suv-261279?LNX=OVRSTRFBPOST

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

0toShifty posted:

I actually wish there were more cars like the Mirage hatchback. Small. Light. Car. Nothing complicated, skinny cheap tires.

The mirage is the VW beetle of modern times. It's slow. It's small. It sounds like a lawnmower.

The mk1 golf/ rabbit was like this. The engines in that car were even less powerful. The original Civic was another good example.

Mitsubishi managed to make a small light car that meets modern crash standards, and has new safety systems and airbags. The problem for Mitsubishi is that everything even remotely comparable is not really that much more money. The mirage is too expensive, especially when you compare it to the Versa.

I would rather get a Mazda2, Spark, Versa, Fiesta or Yaris for about the same price. All of the cheap cars cut corners on the interiors to some extent but the Mirage is on another level.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

lampey posted:

I would rather get a Mazda2, Spark, Versa, Fiesta or Yaris for about the same price. All of the cheap cars cut corners on the interiors to some extent but the Mirage is on another level.

Friend of mine has a Mazda2. It's just a proper, nice, little car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Friend of mine has a Mazda2. It's just a proper, nice, little car.

Agreed, a good buddy of mine has a Mazda2 he uses as his commute/gently caress around town car. 35+ MPG, cheap as poo poo to maintain, just a good little car. I think he put 4 new tires on it for about what one of mine cost OTD...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would buy a used Yaris before a Mirage. And the Yaris is pretty terrible by modern standards.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Goober Peas posted:

I would buy a used Yaris before a Mirage. And the Yaris is pretty terrible by modern standards.

Yeah I rented a Yaris last year and it was real bad inside too. We're talking 90s GM level interior.

But the Mirage is like third world country level (because that's the market it was originally designed for)

Then you get into like a Mazda 2 or Fiesta just to confirm that, no, it doesn't have to be this way. I don't like the design on the Spark/Sonic but they are at least not lovely and don't drive that bad.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 1, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Powershift posted:

Maybe by removing 200lbs from the car they mean the passenger door doesn't open.

there's no rear or passenger seats: http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-dodge-cuts-unholy-mass-out-of-the-challenger-srt-demon-it-has-one-seat/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Running a modern business is hard. You have to be an expert people manager, and you have to keep your hand firmly on the chequebook. Let me tell you about the time I let the purse strings a little too loose.

The underlying bitch of it all was that they wanted to make a faster Dodge Challenger, but I didn’t want them to spend any money. So they came back to me and they said, we want to take all the seats out. Just sell the thing with one seat, for people who are really serious about going fast, so serious in fact that they don’t have a significant other in their life who is willing to get into an automobile they are piloting.

To tell the truth, it was very hard to focus on the substance of what the engineers were saying. Most of them were fully in the grip of a wild-eyed mania, and I’m pretty sure the junior powertrain engineers had captured and devoured one of the accountants just a few minutes prior to my arrival, their faces splashed with blood.

I was naturally hesitant, because I have a fiduciary duty to our shareholders and also didn’t want to see a mother of two on the evening news getting her fifteen minutes after she threw her rugrats into the cabin with no seatbelts and then decided to take a little tipple from a bottle of red called eight hundred wheel horsepower.

In fact, it sounded like we were gonna lose a fortune on this thing, but then one of the engineers told me that he had a great idea about how to appeal to more regular guys and I should come down to his shop and take a look in person.

When I awoke on the floor of his garage, still wheezing off the last fumes of chloroform, amidst the immensely thick burnout marks left blazed into the tile floor from his last burnout test, I was none too pleased. Things went from bad to worse when I realized the engineering team had taken my budget-approval stamp and turned the boost up a few notches with it. I stormed out of the room and directly into a rain of confetti and big-band music. A celebration.

Sales were through the roof. People loved the idea that they would no longer be expected to drive their family around, and the extra cargo room returned to them by the removal of those pesky seats meant that every Demon owner could pick up an extra paycheque or two renting it out as an Airbnb to extremely confused Japanese tourists who nonetheless slept comfortably next to the comforting mass of the transmission hump of the TR-6060.

Like I said, you have to keep the spending of engineers under control. If they got everything they wanted all the time, they would just have made a car with all of its seats, and that would just be a shame.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Amazing that switching to hollow sway bars shaves 19lbs off the car

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Actually, a car with no back seats and no passenger seat would have all sorts of utility.

Sport utility.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Running a modern business is hard. You have to be an expert people manager, and you have to keep your hand firmly on the chequebook. Let me tell you about the time I let the purse strings a little too loose.

The underlying bitch of it all was that they wanted to make a faster Dodge Challenger, but I didn’t want them to spend any money. So they came back to me and they said, we want to take all the seats out. Just sell the thing with one seat, for people who are really serious about going fast, so serious in fact that they don’t have a significant other in their life who is willing to get into an automobile they are piloting.

To tell the truth, it was very hard to focus on the substance of what the engineers were saying. Most of them were fully in the grip of a wild-eyed mania, and I’m pretty sure the junior powertrain engineers had captured and devoured one of the accountants just a few minutes prior to my arrival, their faces splashed with blood.

I was naturally hesitant, because I have a fiduciary duty to our shareholders and also didn’t want to see a mother of two on the evening news getting her fifteen minutes after she threw her rugrats into the cabin with no seatbelts and then decided to take a little tipple from a bottle of red called eight hundred wheel horsepower.

In fact, it sounded like we were gonna lose a fortune on this thing, but then one of the engineers told me that he had a great idea about how to appeal to more regular guys and I should come down to his shop and take a look in person.

When I awoke on the floor of his garage, still wheezing off the last fumes of chloroform, amidst the immensely thick burnout marks left blazed into the tile floor from his last burnout test, I was none too pleased. Things went from bad to worse when I realized the engineering team had taken my budget-approval stamp and turned the boost up a few notches with it. I stormed out of the room and directly into a rain of confetti and big-band music. A celebration.

Sales were through the roof. People loved the idea that they would no longer be expected to drive their family around, and the extra cargo room returned to them by the removal of those pesky seats meant that every Demon owner could pick up an extra paycheque or two renting it out as an Airbnb to extremely confused Japanese tourists who nonetheless slept comfortably next to the comforting mass of the transmission hump of the TR-6060.

Like I said, you have to keep the spending of engineers under control. If they got everything they wanted all the time, they would just have made a car with all of its seats, and that would just be a shame.

If you're ever looking for work writing about cars, hit me up; this was excellent. :D

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bravo.

Also BMW's 5 series wagon photos are out and it looks good, but of course won't come to the USA. I'll fully admit I wouldn't buy it because it's a BMW but I'd still want to HAVE it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm driving a Citroen C4 Cactus BlueHDi 100 Flair this week AMA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's the one with the inflatable door coverings right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's the one with the inflatable door coverings right?

Yes

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You should punt that poo poo and report back, because I'm really curious if it actually works or if it just transfers a slightly smaller dent to the door skins.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It works. Already kicked the poo poo out of it with a steel toed boot.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

drgitlin posted:

If you're ever looking for work writing about cars, hit me up; this was excellent. :D

e: before there was a cringey post asking if I could write about cars for drgitlin. It's not here anymore.

Dr. Gitlin if there's any interest in a contributor-like side position could you drop me a line at michaelscottsa@gmail.com?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cringtastic.

Cringetastic? Either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How bad is it?

Also do you like the interior? I kinda like the old school suitcase glovebox...