Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

They change the font style of the first few word letters to bold to artificially create fixation points and help guide the eye, supposedly to help the brain recognize words faster.

https://bionic-reading.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I found their first paragraph harder than normal to read

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That hurts to look at.

What's the go-to password manager for Mac?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
1Password

My wife and I use the Families thing, and it’s absolutely fantastic.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

That hurts to look at.

The built-in iCloud/keychain password management. I also use keepassx for cross-platform compatibility, but it honestly looks stupid on OS X, with a bunch of full screen dialogs and wonky ui stuff going on

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Axiem posted:

1Password

My wife and I use the Families thing, and it’s absolutely fantastic.

The filling functionality is way worse than Lastpass, and the ability to edit form fields (to rectify that problem, like I'm able to with LastPass) is completely missing. After all the rave reviews, I'm pretty disappointed.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Lambert posted:

The filling functionality is way worse than Lastpass, and the ability to edit form fields (to rectify that problem, like I'm able to with LastPass) is completely missing. After all the rave reviews, I'm pretty disappointed.

I’ve been using it heavily for about 7 years and have only run into a handful of sites that have issues.

And you can edit the form field names and values. They appear when you edit an item in a form fields section at the bottom.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve been using it heavily for about 7 years and have only run into a handful of sites that have issues.

And you can edit the form field names and values. They appear when you edit an item in a form fields section at the bottom.

You can't add additional fields or delete existing fields. The edit functionality is very inadequate, Lastpass is way ahead on this one.

At lest it's a feature planned for some future version, but 1password has traditionally been slow on improvements.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
LastPass is free these days for most user's needs FYI . I've been using it for a few years now (used to pay back when you needed to if you wanted mobile and web all synced up) and have had no complaints.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Lambert posted:

You can't add additional fields or delete existing fields. The edit functionality is very inadequate, Lastpass is way ahead on this one.

At lest it's a feature planned for some future version, but 1password has traditionally been slow on improvements.

I thought maybe I was going crazy so I went and checked and its definitely still there. It's been years since I had to use it but I'm sure I've messed with it in the past.

1password costs money but I don't mind paying for something like that. It also deals well with a lot of data; I have 800 records in my personal account, plus another 1000 across many vaults in my work account. I used to have a lastpass account but closed it after they got hacked and haven't used it since, so I don't know how well it would deal with a similar use-case.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Lambert posted:

Strange. My experience is the inverse: Lastpass had no idea what it was doing ever; while 1Password gets it right a large amount of the time, and I've never run into issues with form fields.

The vault-sharing is also a godsend, both in the family, and at work (where we use 1Password for Teams). It's been an absolutely fantastic experience all around.

Also, the last time I looked at Lastpass, I thought it looked like rear end, while 1Password has a very pleasant design aesthetic, but YMMV :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I run into issues with form fields in 1Password every once in a while. It’s usually the webmaster’s fault for not setting up their fields properly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I should add that I'm looking on behalf of a couple of septagenarians, so free and relatively easy to use are a must.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

I found their first paragraph harder than normal to read

Their mission statement also seems to contradict itself :confused:

quote:

As a result, the reader is only focusing on the highlighted initial letters and lets the brain center complete the word. In a digital world dominated by shallow forms of reading, Bionic Reading aims to encourage a more in-depth reading and understanding of written content.

Your brain automagically filling in the blank gives a better understanding than having read it fully? I would think the opposite, but I’m not psycholinguist.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have a Ubuntu Server running some networked drives via Samba. Navigation via my Windows machines is as fast as needed, but my (2013) MBP doesn't seem to cache the contents of the drives and has to frequently pump the breaks to reevaluate the contents of larger folders. Are there any steps I can take to increase performance on either the server or Mac's end of things?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Warbird posted:

I have a Ubuntu Server running some networked drives via Samba. Navigation via my Windows machines is as fast as needed, but my (2013) MBP doesn't seem to cache the contents of the drives and has to frequently pump the breaks to reevaluate the contents of larger folders. Are there any steps I can take to increase performance on either the server or Mac's end of things?

I see the same thing on my 2017 MBP and a share running on Debian. Folders show up empty for an entire 20-30 seconds before populating.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There's a vfs_fruit module included with SMB that should help with macOS performance: https://www.mankier.com/8/vfs_fruit#Examples

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ItBreathes posted:

I should add that I'm looking on behalf of a couple of septagenarians, so free and relatively easy to use are a must.

Then go with the built in iOS/Safari stuff. Don't know if it offers to save/generate passwords by default but if it doesn't then it's one switch and then you won't have to deal with troubleshooting it over the phone when they call you about "it just doesn't work" and instead just schedule a froot stand appointment for them and let someone else deal with tech support.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

Then go with the built in iOS/Safari stuff. Don't know if it offers to save/generate passwords by default but if it doesn't then it's one switch and then you won't have to deal with troubleshooting it over the phone when they call you about "it just doesn't work" and instead just schedule a froot stand appointment for them and let someone else deal with tech support.

Yes it does.

I always feel like I'm going insane when the "what password manager for mac" conversation comes up because uh it's frickin built into the OS. I have never found it lacking and I don't know what everyone else needs a separate app for.

(I guess Chrome doesn't use it? I avoid Chrome, maybe that's it)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love 1Password but one thing I wish is that it had a reminder feature for when you needed to change a password.

I deal with a lot of (stupid) systems that require a password change every 60-90 days and if you don’t do it they lock you out and it’s a huge pain in the rear end.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

I love 1Password but one thing I wish is that it had a reminder feature for when you needed to change a password.

I deal with a lot of (stupid) systems that require a password change every 60-90 days and if you don’t do it they lock you out and it’s a huge pain in the rear end.

If only there was an app where I could tell it to remind me about something either in in x many days or specifically on y date, with alerts and notifications…

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Granite Octopus posted:

I thought maybe I was going crazy so I went and checked and its definitely still there. It's been years since I had to use it but I'm sure I've messed with it in the past.

1password costs money but I don't mind paying for something like that. It also deals well with a lot of data; I have 800 records in my personal account, plus another 1000 across many vaults in my work account. I used to have a lastpass account but closed it after they got hacked and haven't used it since, so I don't know how well it would deal with a similar use-case.

That's not what I was describing, unfortunately. You can only delete those two primary fields, not superfluous secondary fields 1password fills (only empty them, which means existing values get overwritten). You also can't add additional fields for the program to fill.

Axiem posted:

Strange. My experience is the inverse: Lastpass had no idea what it was doing ever; while 1Password gets it right a large amount of the time, and I've never run into issues with form fields.

The problem: With LastPass, I can always rectify the situation by manually editing form fields. 1password is lacking that functionality. I prefer 1password for looking much nicer. Sharing features both have. Also, even when everything works right, 1password will still often save and fill superfluous fields. This could have unintended side effects.

Their support told me that they're adding this functionality at some point in the future, but that it isn't a priority feature to them.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 26, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

If only there was an app where I could tell it to remind me about something either in in x many days or specifically on y date, with alerts and notifications…

Yeah yeah yeah I know but it would be nice if I could set it in 1Password at the same time as I’m changing it in that app.

A one stop shop as it may be. I know I can set a calendar alert.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Anyone who uses LastPass deserves what will eventually come to them.

I unreservedly steer people away from that trash fire whenever I can. If you need a password manager, the Keychain is perfectly serviceable. If you want something to also store secure notes, form data, bank details, or whatever, 1Password or KeePass.

Lastpass has a proven track record of insecure coding practices. They also have a history of blowing off reported vulnerabilities as inconsequential until someone like Tavis Ormandy calls them out on Twitter.

Now maybe they've changed since I've not seen anything concerning regarding them in the last year or so on any of the mailing lists I belong to, but they blew any trust I may have had with them due to their customer response and hilariously avoidable vulnerabilities in the years prior.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ItBreathes posted:

The thread is correct, it's 1Password. I've used it for a few years.

However, I've also been testing MyKi recently, and it's really starting to turn my head.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Yes it does.

I always feel like I'm going insane when the "what password manager for mac" conversation comes up because uh it's frickin built into the OS. I have never found it lacking and I don't know what everyone else needs a separate app for.

I always just assume it's people who have to deal with Windows or non-Mac/iOS stuff at work or something. 'Cause you're right, iCloud Keychain + Safari is bliss.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I mean, Keychain has had plenty of weird sync issues in the past.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Yes it does.

It's not on Windows.

Dashlane is good too but ever since they hiked the priced higher than 1password there's been no reason to use them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

I mean, Keychain has had plenty of weird sync issues in the past.

And LastPass has had some security issues in the past, so ???

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

Chrome has its own password manager that syncs, just like pretty much any other browser. There's still value to an universal solution that works across all platform boundaries.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Data Graham posted:

If you love entirely in Apple Land and only use Apple Things and don’t need to share stuff, the keychain stuff is fantastic!

But while I live entirely in Apple Land, being able to share passwords is also important, which is why I call out Families and Teams. And I recommend them because in my experience, people end up asking about functionality 1Password has that isn’t in keychain, and it’s nice if they’re already using the thing that will ultimately solve their problem.

Honesty, the biggest fight I have is in convincing people to use any password manager at all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just use iCloud Keychain and when you need a pw on your Windows machine get out your phone and go into Account & Passwords.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Anyone know of software that can correct a distorted image? Either native or some oss abomination is fine

I have some photographs of pages from a book, and they're not completely flat. Maybe somehow overlay a wireframe 3D representation of the curved page, and turn it into a flat image with perspective corrected, if that makes sense. I have looked at DxO Viewpoint but it seems to only do straight lines.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Wife has a 2013 imac in her office that's started running real slow. It's got a third of its hd space left, and it's basically used for the internet and downloading dropbox files, nothing heavy. 8gb RAM. Software's up to date and she's tried restarting it. Dropbox is the only thing opening at startup.

Are there any generic methods or tools she can try that might help this? I realize I'm giving practically no information at all here, I'm not at the computer in question.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Open up Activity Monitor, use it to find out what’s consuming lots of CPU and/or memory

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I mean, any computer with an HDD as opposed to an SSD is going to feel extremely slow.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone found a workaround for FaceTime not working on a MBP when the lid is down, as it often is when I have it docked? All I see is a black window when I start the app:

If I wait long enough, I get this error about the application not receiving any video:

The moment I open up the lid, though, the list of contacts pops up on the left and I can use FaceTime as usual.

This is a really annoying bug because it's preventing me from making phone calls from my desk. I think it's also preventing Continuity from reliably allowing me to receive phone calls when my laptop is docked.

What's strange is that I know FaceTime can work without camera input - my 2012 Mac Mini that I upgraded from worked flawlessly for this exact same use case and I never connected a webcam to it. But for some reason FaceTime on the Macbook Pros are set up to expect webcam input and won't function until it gets it :iiam:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

jackpot posted:

Wife has a 2013 imac in her office that's started running real slow. It's got a third of its hd space left, and it's basically used for the internet and downloading dropbox files, nothing heavy. 8gb RAM. Software's up to date and she's tried restarting it. Dropbox is the only thing opening at startup.

Are there any generic methods or tools she can try that might help this? I realize I'm giving practically no information at all here, I'm not at the computer in question.

I had the same problem. I have an iMac, possibly slightly newer, that was basically unusable. I swapped out the HDD to SSD and everything is fine now.

For what it’s worth nothing in SMART reported a problem with the drive itself, and the performance seemed fine when I “tested” it using dd, but yeah. Swap the HDD. It’s kind of a pain in the rear end. You can buy a kit from OWC that helps, especially with removing and replacing the double sided tape that holds the screen in place.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Has anyone found a workaround for FaceTime not working on a MBP when the lid is down, as it often is when I have it docked? All I see is a black window when I start the app:

If I wait long enough, I get this error about the application not receiving any video:

The moment I open up the lid, though, the list of contacts pops up on the left and I can use FaceTime as usual.

This is a really annoying bug because it's preventing me from making phone calls from my desk. I think it's also preventing Continuity from reliably allowing me to receive phone calls when my laptop is docked.

What's strange is that I know FaceTime can work without camera input - my 2012 Mac Mini that I upgraded from worked flawlessly for this exact same use case and I never connected a webcam to it. But for some reason FaceTime on the Macbook Pros are set up to expect webcam input and won't function until it gets it :iiam:

That sucks, you'd think Facetime would know when it's operating in dock mode and forget about the built in webcam instead of making GBS threads the bed.

Can you try starting audio phone calls directly from the contacts app? When I did this, it bypassed the weird initial FaceTime view where I see my ugly, unkempt face in the webcam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Last Chance posted:

That sucks, you'd think Facetime would know when it's operating in dock mode and forget about the built in webcam instead of making GBS threads the bed.

Can you try starting audio phone calls directly from the contacts app? When I did this, it bypassed the weird initial FaceTime view where I see my ugly, unkempt face in the webcam.

I've got my Mac in clamshell mode on an eGPU and FaceTime picks up the cameras on the LG displays automatically :shrug: