Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

STAC Goat posted:

But you can easily argue the same about Kang and the entire Loki finale. And Kang literally shows up at the end of the season while at least Monica and John are big parts of their shows.

You can argue anything you want, you'd still be wrong. Kang shows up in the Loki finale because he's the big bad guy. Sylvie has been trying to get at him the whole time, Loki has been trying to have an audience with him from as soon as he figured out he might be able to turn the TVA to his advantage. Even if they didn't know it was Kang, "get to the power behind the TVA and kill/sweettalk them" was the goal the whole time. The statue at the end is a cliffhanger, but presumably a cliffhanger that will be picked up on in Loki season 2.

Kang will clearly have ramifications for other Marvel content, but it also had ramifications for Loki. Which isn't true of Monica getting glowy eyes or John hooking up with Elaine in their respective shows. They aren't conclusions of their arcs in those shows, they're setting up arcs in future content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Hawkeye is really good and is probably honestly my favorite MCU TV thing after Ms Marvel. You just don't hear people talk about it much because it largely stands on its own instead of being one of those things setting up different shows/movies. Well, okay, there's one spinoff coming, but still...

And hey, it's only a couple of months now until Hawkeye is seasonal again!

I dont talk about it much bc I thought it was mediocre.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hawkeye was good but I feel like they undercut themselves a bit by putting Matt in No Way Home. If Kingpin had just shown up with no indication that's what was going to happen it would have been an amazing moment, but it was just a bit too expected at that point to have any real impact

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Loki taking peak of his evil Loki and then just writing him as the main MCU dead one was dumb.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Loki's ending made me said because Loki and Mobius aren't friends anymore :(

I also still don't quite understand how/why that happened. Hopefully Season 2 will have a satisfying answer and also hopefully Loki and Mobius will get to be friends again.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hopefully season 2 renames Mobius to Morbius.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's Mobin' time :blastu:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Loki was awesome. It got me all hyped for future Kang stuff and I bought a Kang figure as a result. Show sells toys, must be good.

All the marvel shows have been good but Wandavision was definitely the weakest.

:tipshat:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I did like how Kang was foreshadowed by the wooden faces of the Time Lords in the courtroom being dived in three like comic Kang's face lines.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Hawkeye was good but I feel like they undercut themselves a bit by putting Matt in No Way Home. If Kingpin had just shown up with no indication that's what was going to happen it would have been an amazing moment, but it was just a bit too expected at that point to have any real impact

They foreshadowed Kingpin first and the Hawkeye episode with him on it came out before No Way Home.

Hawkeye was a really great show. It will probably be talked about more when Thunderbolts comes out and whenever Kate shows up again. Also it's almost time to rewatch it because like it's been said, it's a Christmas show!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s also an Echo series coming before Daredevil. So I could see a whole chain reaction leading to people revisiting Hawkeye since it kind of starts the thread for a lot of stuff. We also don’t know where or when Kate will shop up next.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Finally got around to watching Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk. They're both so utterly delightful and made me laugh a lot.

Unrelated, but between Multiverse of Madness, Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk, we're finally at the point where the Marvel comic trope of someone's wedding getting interrupted by superhero shenanigans is a thing now. :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

No, Season 2 needs a scene where Owen Wilson's character takes off all his clothes, and someone makes a joke about a Mobius Strip. :haw:

I'm also someone who really liked Hawkeye. That and Ms Marvel being more lighthearted shows with a nice hefty dose of comedy made them standouts to me out of the shows I've watched so far. I'm just a sucker for character interactions and silliness instead of balls-out action. Maybe it's because it's more grounded in reality to see the chemistry between characters, versus seeing them put into CGI action sequences. Like, there's a reason the only thing I remember from the big finale of Endgame is the character moments and none of the battle itself.

So yeah, Hawkeye really hit a lot of those notes for me. There's so many things I could point out as "I loved this" but I don't wanna say too much and spoil it for someone who's about to go into it now.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Hawkeye is a strong contender for my favorite Marvel show and I went in expecting, maybe even wanting, to absolutely hate it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I still think the actual villain of Loki should have been.. Loki. Who only took the role because the alternative is Kang, but is so loving sick of the whole deal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Hawkeye is a strong contender for my favorite Marvel show and I went in expecting, maybe even wanting, to absolutely hate it

How did you get past the lack of an effective villain (even with a show that includes the loving Kingpin, the story centering around a rich kid who just consistently fucks up and consistenly acts 10 years younger than her purported age, dour, unhappy Hawkeye, the mystery of her family sputtering along for a few episodes only to be solved by someone other than the main hero, that kid, the same beats over and over with the same bad guys/problems repeated every episode, that loving Ren Faire poo poo, etc.

I know alot of comes to subjective taste, like when it comes to humor, (I did not like the comedy in this, I thought it was hokey and depended on nervous fast patter). But I think there is more objective flaws here, the lady Hawkeye and main character being a rich kid that succeeds not based on her efforts, and therefore being way less sympathetic.than Ms Marvel or She Hulk.

I admit alot of the details have slipped away because I really didn't find much to like

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
She succeeded on her efforts, what are you talking about?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Shageletic posted:

I admit alot of the details have slipped away

this one statement is like, carrying your whole post on its back lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They wrote individual moments for Hawkeye and then forgot to connect them until the night before shooting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
should've gone with real criticism like they only had haylee in a suit that one time in the first episode and never again which is an unforgivable crime

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

How did you get past the lack of an effective villain (even with a show that includes the loving Kingpin, the story centering around a rich kid who just consistently fucks up and consistenly acts 10 years younger than her purported age, dour, unhappy Hawkeye, the mystery of her family sputtering along for a few episodes only to be solved by someone other than the main hero, that kid, the same beats over and over with the same bad guys/problems repeated every episode, that loving Ren Faire poo poo, etc.

I know alot of comes to subjective taste, like when it comes to humor, (I did not like the comedy in this, I thought it was hokey and depended on nervous fast patter). But I think there is more objective flaws here, the lady Hawkeye and main character being a rich kid that succeeds not based on her efforts, and therefore being way less sympathetic.than Ms Marvel or She Hulk.

I admit alot of the details have slipped away because I really didn't find much to like

A show can be effective and well liked while not being perfect. I do think it could have used a stronger central narrative. Though Kingpin was a fun reveal, keeping him in the shadows for so long did weaken the story for relatively brief payoff. It's pacing breaks down a little at the end, an issue all of the MCU shows have struggled with to one extent or another. That said, I feel like the individual bits work and are strong enough to carry the show.

One of the key things your missing is that Kate is the main hero of Hawkeye, so the "kid" solving the mystery of her family makes complete sense. Hell, given that it's, you know, her family, it would have made sense even if she where just a supporting character. You also missed that her immaturity and gently caress ups are directly tied to her privilege, and are the starting point of her character arc. While her wealth certainly explains her martial training, it doesn't explain her excelling at it to the level demonstrated in the show, nor is it used to wrap up any of the major plot points. That is all achieved by her struggling and eventually overcoming like any protagonist.

If the humor didn't land for you, it's understandable you wouldn't enjoy the show overall. That's fine. Not every show will work for everyone. But I think that's coloring your view of the show far more than you realize.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

site posted:

should've gone with real criticism like they only had haylee in a suit that one time in the first episode and never again which is an unforgivable crime

edit: real talk though I agree they should have busted out Kingpin sooner if for no other reason than to get the man on my screen please and thank you next time Marvel

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 27, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

I liked what she wore in the last episode then how she twirled out of it like a magical girl into her superhero outfit right in front of Yelena.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

A show can be effective and well liked while not being perfect. I do think it could have used a stronger central narrative. Though Kingpin was a fun reveal, keeping him in the shadows for so long did weaken the story for relatively brief payoff. It's pacing breaks down a little at the end, an issue all of the MCU shows have struggled with to one extent or another. That said, I feel like the individual bits work and are strong enough to carry the show.

One of the key things your missing is that Kate is the main hero of Hawkeye, so the "kid" solving the mystery of her family makes complete sense. Hell, given that it's, you know, her family, it would have made sense even if she where just a supporting character. You also missed that her immaturity and gently caress ups are directly tied to her privilege, and are the starting point of her character arc. While her wealth certainly explains her martial training, it doesn't explain her excelling at it to the level demonstrated in the show, nor is it used to wrap up any of the major plot points. That is all achieved by her struggling and eventually overcoming like any protagonist.

If the humor didn't land for you, it's understandable you wouldn't enjoy the show overall. That's fine. Not every show will work for everyone. But I think that's coloring your view of the show far more than you realize.

Again, bad memory, but didn't Yelena just follow Kate's mom to the Kingpin and send it to her phone? Like how did she solve anything?

I think Kate had the least amount of agency of any Marvel TV show main role to date.

Well other than Iron Fist lol

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Shageletic posted:

Again, bad memory, but didn't Yelena just follow Kate's mom to the Kingpin and send it to her phone? Like how did she solve anything?

I think Kate had the least amount of agency of any Marvel TV show main role to date.

Well other than Iron Fist lol

Kate saves Clint after his confrontation with Maya, and it's Clint who subsequently recognizes Yelena's picture of "Maya's uncle" as being the Kingpin

like, she tracks his phone and then shoots a sword out of Maya's hands, keeping the number of Hawkeyes in the Hawkeye show firmly at 2

Yelena only takes the picture in the first place--or even questions who hired her at all--because of Kate's speech to her when Yelena shows up in her apartment

Yelena who implies they might not even be having the conversation if Kate hadn't a.) been a real nuisance in the rooftop fight and b.) saved that dog at the start of the series

if Kate had single handedly cracked the entire case with her bare hands while the Avenger and Russian superspy sat around slack-jawed people would have shat a brick about that instead

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
to be real clear, Kate specifically tells Yelena to find out who hired her and explains why she should, then shows the picture of that employer to the man she saved the night before (because how the hell would Kate recognize Wilson Fisk)

no agency though

e: tbf I disagree about Kate being THE main character, I think she and Clint are kind of dual protagonists with the clear intention of passing the torch; she's coming into her own and this is basically his last ride. He does a lot more than fill a typical mentor role, he's a deuteragonist at minimum

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 27, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Netflix has told Matt Wagner to gently caress off and dropped the Grendel series

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate also basically saves Clint through her conversation with Yelena as well. If she doesn't keep trying to talk Yelena out of it and explaining to her how Clint is a good person, Yelena likely doesn't give Clint a chance to talk. But Kate sticks up for him and puts herself in harm's way for him.

Like her whole thing is that she isn't perfect, makes mistakes a lot, and gets in over her head. But she still keeps on fighting and doing the right thing because she's a hero. She's very stubborn, talks a big game, and is confident no matter what she's up against.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That's good. Grendel is one of those comics that definitely works better as a panel-by-panel medium. Now Mage would be a hell of a good choice for a series.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I wonder if the people who didn't like Wandavision didn't spend their childhoods watching Nick At Nite and their early adulthoods watching Twin Peaks.

Because I did and it's my second favorite, only losing out to Ms. Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The word nostalgia is meant to be negative. I blame buzzfeed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

The word nostalgia is meant to be negative. I blame buzzfeed.

...no it's not?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Blockhouse posted:

...no it's not?

Sorta. I do remember it being a fondness for the past when I was young, way before buzfeed. At one point in history it was considered an acutal disease. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/08/when-nostalgia-was-a-disease/278648/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

...no it's not?

It literally means homecoming sorrow.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that spending way too much time aping shows that were not good sucked. The show got way better when it hit more modern stuff like the Malcolm in the Middle take.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Netflix has told Matt Wagner to gently caress off and dropped the Grendel series

It probably wouldn’t have lasted or been memorable, but I was curious to see it. That sucks for him though—he’s right in the middle of doing a big new Grendel book to promote it. And the new Grendel omnibus editions have netflix logos on them saying to watch the new show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Halfway through Hawkeye and I'm really wondering where this is going. It's firmly established a couple major themes, but I'm finding it strangely difficult to believe that they'll be executed well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

And the new Grendel omnibus editions have netflix logos on them saying to watch the new show.

Goddamn, netflix could give hunter rose some tips on being evil

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

apparently, the entire season was filmed, according to one of the actors? wonder if it was just bad

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjDdEltLTZy/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It literally means homecoming sorrow.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that spending way too much time aping shows that were not good sucked. The show got way better when it hit more modern stuff like the Malcolm in the Middle take.

I really miss the days nostalgia meant homecoming sorrow