Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maybe, just maybe a lot of those people aren’t in fact arguing in good faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

a cyborg mug posted:

Maybe, just maybe a lot of those people aren’t in fact arguing in good faith

Exactly. You never hear them complain about Raw audiences not knowing who nxt call ups are, despite nxt’s audience being a 1/3 of Raw’s at best.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Do any of these people actually watch Raw or Smackdown or is the limit of their Standing Up for WWE just whining about another show on twitter?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"if you want real life go watch the kardashians" may be one of the funniest things I've seen posted by one of these broke brains

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll never understand the obsession these people have with causal audience. When I'm watching TV I couldn't give a gently caress less what someone else thinks if I'm enjoying myself.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand the obsession these people have with causal audience. When I'm watching TV I couldn't give a gently caress less what someone else thinks if I'm enjoying myself.

The wrestling industry as a whole has this weird particular thing where the the consensus is that the thing that makes the most money is objectively the best.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not just wrestling that tries to chase the casual audience though. Industries like games, comics, manga/anime will all have properties pop up where they are trying to get a casual audience and for the most part they usually end up pretty bad for the property.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the guys who bring up casual fans the most are usually insufferable know it alls who have just seen something that didn't work for them personally or hinged on someone they didn't recognize immediately, so how could it have played for the hypothetical casual fan who recently hatched, fully 18-49 years old, holding a ratings journal? not well, that's how

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I get why the people at the top worry about causuals, but as a fan it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. It's like when people defend Niki A.S.H (almost a superhero) (tm)because it's for kids as if that's the end all be all defense for criticism.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They care about the casual fan because they're the casual fan. Haha it would be weird to care a lot about wrestling.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There is nothing wrong with having kid friendly gimmicks and lower barriers of entry for new fans. That helps you create new fans which is good long term!

However WWE doesn't have lowe barriers of entry and its stuff is very uncool for kids so it's attempt at casual fans isn't working (which is why it's ratings and house show attendance is flat)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Lamuella posted:

That's always the big trick that AEW seem to grasp and WWE have forgotten how to do: if you act like someone or something is a big deal, people will treat them like a big deal.

But the WWE doesn't want anyone to be a big deal. They want the WWE to be a big deal, and the wrestlers to be interchangable and replacable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

But the WWE doesn't want anyone to be a big deal. They want the WWE to be a big deal, and the wrestlers to be interchangable and replacable.

They definitely want Roman to be a big deal!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRafTer posted:

They definitely want Roman to be a big deal!

Hence why he's one of the only people who is.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hence means therefore, not "that's"

just a little piece of poo poo post to read here for everyone. nothing n3w

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's really bizarre how obsessed Anti-AEW types are with "Casuals" as if I'm supposed to care whether or not people who are less invested in a tv show than I am are interested in it. That somehow WWE is the best because random people you don't know watch it?

My best guess: they're obsessed with Wrestling being Mainstream again. They don't really understand or get that wrestling was really only "Mainstream" for a few short years in the late 90's when WWF happened to line up with what the rest of pop culture was like and they'd lucked into having 2 of the biggest stars in the history of the business at the same time, and that there's nothing wrong with enjoying a niche product that most of the world doesn't really care about, but that's not good enough. They don't wanna get called losers for liking "that fake fighting poo poo" like they did when they kids in the early 90's and anything that doesn't line up 1:1 with how wrestling was that brief window where it was popular is not only bad but a horrific insult to them personally and must be eradicated.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's extremely funny seeing WWE stans go on about casual viewers when WWE has shed like half of its audience in a couple of years. If there is a major promotion that has run off all but the hardcore fanbase all the evidence points at that promotion being WWE.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's extremely funny seeing WWE stans go on about casual viewers when WWE has shed like half of its audience in a couple of years. If there is a major promotion that has run off all but the hardcore fanbase all the evidence points at that promotion being WWE.

That argument never works on WWE Stans, they'll just go "Yeah but WWE's lost more viewers than AEW will EVER have! ZERO GROWTH!" as if that's a burn somehow

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Drakkel posted:

That argument never works on WWE Stans, they'll just go "Yeah but WWE's lost more viewers than AEW will EVER have! ZERO GROWTH!" as if that's a burn somehow

And they talk about how millions of casual fans still watch WWE clips on youtube

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mooseinfants posted:

And they talk about how millions of casual fans still watch WWE clips on youtube

The Punk/Kingston promo segment has like 700k views in less than 24hrs

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think what a lot of the WWE stans miss, especially newer fans, is that a huge portion of the AEW/indies/international fanbase consists of lapsed WWE fans who got sick of being disappointed and disillusioned over the years when WWE was the only game in town, and only seeing their favorites in WWE succeed because audiences forced their hands. They don't realize how desperate wrestling fans were to find alternatives for years, how much better they saw their favorites treated elsewhere, and how difficult it was for a long time to find consistent content elsewhere.

Nowadays, those alternatives are both really good AND more accessible than ever due to advancements in streaming tech, so people are leaving WWE in droves because now they can. Even 5 years ago it was a pain in the rear end to get regular content from all the Japanese promotions & US indies I watch now with any sort of consistency, and now I can find them with a few clicks and I know exactly what I'm getting. I can even check out episodes of promotions I don't follow just to see what they have to offer. People who have only ever watched WWE and hate everything else have no idea how refreshing that feels as a long-time fan.

Lamuella posted:

If you've never seen, say, Suzuki before, and his music plays and everybody in the ring and in the crowd and on commentary is going "oh gently caress", then you will pick up the cues that Suzuki is a big deal.
"Well I'VE never heard of him so he can't be a big deal" feels like the same kind of mentality as "global warming is a myth because it's snowing where I live".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JT Smiley posted:

I get why the people at the top worry about causuals, but as a fan it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. It's like when people defend Niki A.S.H (almost a superhero) (tm)because it's for kids as if that's the end all be all defense for criticism.

I don’t care about casuals, but I do care about kids. If someone wants to do a super hero gimmick to appeal to kids, more power to them. It’s just up to the company to book them well.

AEW wrestlers act like a bunch of kids, so they don’t really need to pander.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There are 20 year old WWE fans who have never really seen anything else. Maybe some old stuff on WWE network or the Peacock thing but they're not old enough to have lived through the Monday Night War or the 80s competition with the NWA, USWA, etc.

Also the internet makes you stupid so you combine those things and here we are.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

There are 20 year old WWE fans

i don't know

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here they are

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cavauro posted:

here they are

lmfbo got me good

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Cavauro posted:

here they are

thats the january 2022 NXT release list

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cavauro posted:

here they are

:vince:

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/ShaneHelmsCom/status/1457192971036672000?t=MK5U4W7ARddQ-unKPx_k8A&s=19

The Hurricane throwing a tantrum on twitter, go through his replies to see the real being a baby stuff

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Please stop reading the dirtsheets for info on how we “have no plans for anyone,” and instead focus on the TV show where it’s abundantly clear we have no plans for anyone

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
He's going to change his tune when he gets cut for budget reasons. If they're gonna cut Gerald Briscoe or Arn Anderson they're gonna cut The Hurricane

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

He's going to change his tune when he gets cut for budget reasons. If they're gonna cut Gerald Briscoe or Arn Anderson they're gonna cut The Hurricane

They literally already fired him once last year, he's desperately towing the company line

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

cauliflower jones posted:

https://twitter.com/ShaneHelmsCom/status/1457192971036672000?t=MK5U4W7ARddQ-unKPx_k8A&s=19

The Hurricane throwing a tantrum on twitter, go through his replies to see the real being a baby stuff

Today I find out Shane Helms evidently has never heard of Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, god knows how many magazines and websites, or the “Entertainment” section of the newspaper

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Dude whose whole gimmick is being a comic book geek doesn't understand why fans are invested in the making of the media they consume

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Drakkel posted:

They literally already fired him once last year, he's desperately towing the company line

They hired him back after one cameo for AEW.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

How many different wrestlers will throw themselves on the pyre of "surely, it is the fans who are wrong" for a paycheck

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I wonder how WWE wrestlers feel when producers/agents/backstage people like Hurricane and Road Dogg go on social media and basically tell the fans to stop giving a poo poo about the people whose lives their bosses have ruined, it must make for a very fun backstage environment

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Drakkel posted:

I wonder how WWE wrestlers feel when producers/agents/backstage people like Hurricane and Road Dogg go on social media and basically tell the fans to stop giving a poo poo about the people whose lives their bosses have ruined, it must make for a very fun backstage environment
It's a lot more common than it used to be that's for sure. I remember when I started watching a guy like Kenny Dykstra got released and he said it was because Cena slept with his girlfriend Mickie James then got released over the drama and started trash talking the WWE but nobody was really listening. Then when Mickie James got "too attached" she got moved to a different brand and then released herself and it still wasn't seen as that big of a deal.

There's no way that'd even fly anymore but people are taking the talent seriously now

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
imagine being so isolated from the media people consume that you don't even know about the "what went wrong?" article/video cottage industry that exists around highly anticipated media that sucks when it comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For a lot of people in corporate environments, you stamp out that self-awareness a bit as almost a subconscious exercise.

You're not dumb, you can very visibly see what's going on and it bothers you and makes you mad, but you quickly learn your anger is not only irrelevant but deleterious, because you're never going to be in a position to change anything nor will any of the people who are change what they're doing because of anything you say or do, meaning the only possible result of your putting your anger where it's deserved is everything still sucks and now you don't have a job anymore.

But that anger doesn't actually go away, and for whatever reason you can't just turn it inward and quietly hate yourself like the rest of us do, which means it has to go somewhere. And hey, a lot of the time dirtsheets DO suck, and a lot of wrestling fans CAN be idiots, so you're already angry at them, and if you're already angry at them, why not be even angrier at them? It's their fault things suck, after all. It's not your problem.