Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Desfore posted:

I was doing the daily Expert Roulette as a DRG, when I got into as Anti-tower party with a tank in the full Chocobo costume glamoured. So, I was checking out her gear, and I noticed she was using a relic weapon. The old atma relic weapon, not even fully upgraded. Long story short, I ended up tanking the frog boss more than she did, and my backflip was on constant cooldown from pulling aggro off her, despite my best efforts to split my DPS. I haven't had many lovely dungeon runs, but this was by far the worst I had to slog through.

She must not have put her points in defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Desfore posted:

I was doing the daily Expert Roulette as a DRG, when I got into as Anti-tower party with a tank in the full Chocobo costume glamoured. So, I was checking out her gear, and I noticed she was using a relic weapon. The old atma relic weapon, not even fully upgraded. Long story short, I ended up tanking the frog boss more than she did, and my backflip was on constant cooldown from pulling aggro off her, despite my best efforts to split my DPS. I haven't had many lovely dungeon runs, but this was by far the worst I had to slog through.
I've accidentally done that as a monk, since I needed the weapon equipped to work on the books but still had a high enough ilevel to queue for exdr. At least I switched after I noticed the frog boss taking way longer than normal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My authenticator app seems to have forgotten who I am and is asking me to re-authenticate, which I can't do without being able to use it to generate a password to get into MogStation to generate a password to attach to my account. It's not a huge issue, just... how does that even happen? Get your poo poo together, my phone. Or maybe SE.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My authenticator app seems to have forgotten who I am and is asking me to re-authenticate, which I can't do without being able to use it to generate a password to get into MogStation to generate a password to attach to my account. It's not a huge issue, just... how does that even happen? Get your poo poo together, my phone. Or maybe SE.
three situations causes this to happen

1) the cache and data of the app was reset to installation state by something ("cleaning" apps, etc)
2) a backup was restored to the app, which told it it was running on a key generated days, weeks, even months in the past and it freaks out and resets as a failsafe
3) your device's clock got completely hosed and the app freaked out and reset itself

in either situations, call S-E and have 'em help you out

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also once you sort it out, inside your squenix account page there will be an emergency removal code for your one time password. Store that someplace you can find and then you don't have to spend time on the phone with customer service in the future to get into your account.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Not strictly XIV-related but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTq6UVOuzxk

So on the one hand, FFXI! :aaaaa:

But on the other hand... Nexon. :stonk:

...I do not know what to feel.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I believe you meant to say "FFXI :stonk:"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Meiteron posted:

The latter; Vark is entirely original in design and the subsequent two raids will also be original (and taking place in entirely different locations, I believe.)

I choose to believe that the seed of the entire 24 man story this expansion was someone going "Hey remember that disgusting demon enemy in FFXII called Cuchulainn wasn't that ridiculous?" and someone else went "hey what was Cuchulainn's teacher called" and the rest was history.

I was kind of surprised they used him, in FFXII he was a servant of Zodiark so I thought they might have been saving him for something later.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Desfore posted:

At that point, you should ask them to equip a better weapon, and if they don't comply, votekick them for harassment and beg someone in your FC to join in-progress as a tank.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

SL the Pyro posted:

Whatever emotion that empowers you to run way the gently caress away from that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SL the Pyro posted:

Its also a mobile game. Just forget you ever saw the announcement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was kind of surprised they used him, in FFXII he was a servant of Zodiark so I thought they might have been saving him for something later.

Cuchulainn is also one of the Zodiac Braves in Tactics.

(The fat one with the mouth stomach, his name is a bit different.)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, the idea of creating a single player FFXI game for those who didn't get to experience it when it came out isn't a bad idea, provided that they make the play style not awful from a single player perspective. But the fact that they're keeping it mobile only with a less than reputable dev as opposed to SE's usual strategy of releasing it on PSN / steam / mobile devices shows they're probably going to gently caress it up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

All of the ascians are actually named after the scions of light that supposedly opposed the espers that you can summon in 12. Nabriales is the opposition to Cuchulainn.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

seiferguy posted:

Honestly, the idea of creating a single player FFXI game for those who didn't get to experience it when it came out isn't a bad idea, provided that they make the play style not awful from a single player perspective. But the fact that they're keeping it mobile only with a less than reputable dev as opposed to SE's usual strategy of releasing it on PSN / steam / mobile devices shows they're probably going to gently caress it up.

Everyone says they wish they could experience the story single player but I feel like the reality is the novelty of an MMO with a story wouldn't shine as bright since it's a lot more common now.

Additionally I think the fact that it could be weeks between cutscenes made it feel more powerful because it took a lot of work and it was an accomplishment. If you could barrel through it it'd feel a lot less impressive.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Think I might give this game another go. If I sign up for the $12.99 monthly sub I can just cancel right after I sub correct?
Never cancel, veteran rewards bro

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

SL the Pyro posted:

Not strictly XIV-related but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTq6UVOuzxk

So on the one hand, FFXI! :aaaaa:

"Hel-lo everyone, Mister Happy here, and welcome to Final Fan-"

nope

On a linked topic, I've been playing XI over the past month to join a friend in some playtime after they closed the PS2 and X360 logins. I hadn't played in roughly 4-5 years due to a very annoying payment issue on SE's end, so there's quite a bit for me to catch up on. It's amazing but like 95% of the game is soloable now using Trusts. It's still a 2001 MMO with updates stuck in TYOOL 2016, but it's worth acknowledging how much they're trying to continue supporting the game despite its obvious hardware limitations.

That said, there's still a very vocal part of the playerbase that actively blames XIV for sucking subscribers and development seed money away from XI. The amount of unreasonable vitriol some XI players have towards XIV is extremely strange to me. There are many people intent to keep XI in the dark ages as much as possible, who legitimately think that content that takes maybe a few hours in XIV should take literally months to complete in XI. They like that weird "challenge." I think that some long-term goals are good, but many of the arguments I've seen are just time wasters. XI has done a good job veering away from that strategy and should continue to do so, not hearken back to the old crazy grind from before.

If you're willing to farm diligently, nearly anyone can get a normal 75 relic in XI. It still takes months to grind the literally hundreds of 100-bill currency required. Upon simply saying I play XIV, one XI relic owner I spoke with said he would never be interested in doing the annoying FATEs in XIV to get crystals for the first phase of the Animus relic. I mean, grinding crystals wasn't fun, but I did it in two days. I didn't say anything to him because I assumed he was just being willfully ignorant. Maybe I should've, but I don't think it would have lead anywhere.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Grimace posted:

Maybe I should've, but I don't think it would have lead anywhere.

Nah, best to ignore/nod and say "uhuh sure yep". That particular line of discussion wouldn't go anywhere good for either of you.

But hey, at least he wasn't one of those weirdos that refuses to get the ROV key items and never does the Lv75 limit break!

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

The Grimace posted:

That said, there's still a very vocal part of the playerbase that actively blames XIV for sucking subscribers and development seed money away from XI.

It's not like we benefit from it with XV stealing all of XIV's cash shop money for aaron paul anime and cars

I just assume this is 100% of the people still playing daily.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stufoo posted:

Now do you mean in attitude, or literal count?

You're probably right either way.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Knowing how square works XV is probably the actual project that's drawing money from everywhere else

I wouldn't be surprised if even XIV has a near-skeleton crew level of manpower

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also once you sort it out, inside your squenix account page there will be an emergency removal code for your one time password. Store that someplace you can find and then you don't have to spend time on the phone with customer service in the future to get into your account.
I actually had the emergency removal code for the app on my old phone and somehow failed to write down the new one :shobon:

Weird feeling to say this, but I'm not really worried about it, SE'll handle it.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What's the easiest way to build a Triple Triad deck for beating the imperial dude in Mor Dhona? I wanna grind the Fenrir mount.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, best to ignore/nod and say "uhuh sure yep". That particular line of discussion wouldn't go anywhere good for either of you.

But hey, at least he wasn't one of those weirdos that refuses to get the ROV key items and never does the Lv75 limit break!

Oh, man. I don't doubt there are actually people out there who are that bullheaded, but I still hope I never meet one.

Stufoo posted:

It's not like we benefit from it with XV stealing all of XIV's cash shop money for aaron paul anime and cars

I didn't start off expecting people in XI to be like this, but my experiences have been pretty similar.

Many of them are insatiable, but I don't think I'm overly biased and I can see that SE is trying to continue bringing life to XI. FFXI recently got a new "Battle system" in Ambuscade, and it doesn't appeal to me very much (though the rewards are really drat good), but it shows that XI's development team is still trying to think of new ways to engage their playerbase with what benefits they have been gifted. XI is still the most profitable venture Square-Enix has ever seen, and they definitely acknowledge that and still try to throw bones to its subscribers.

I think that we can all agree that XIV has seen setbacks to its development teams. I think they do a good job adjusting. My only complaint is that we now only get 2 expert dungeons per HW update instead of the 3 we would get with each ARR content patch. The dungeons are still good, and there's plenty of other content to experience, so it's manageable. I mean, it's totally disappointing that XIV isn't receiving all of the benefits we as subscribers pay into it, but the development team's allocation works very well despite Square-Enix's skeleton crew management style.

XV is definitely the cash cow for SE now. They famously have been quoted saying that they want to make sure they sell atleast 10 million copies of XV or they won't be "satisfied," and so they're pumping lots of money into its subsidiaries and advertising to make sure it happens. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out- I wasn't a fan of the recent Platinum Demo, but I thought the demo that came with Type-0 was lots of fun, so I'm confident XV will be a success.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

BobbyK posted:

What's the easiest way to build a Triple Triad deck for beating the imperial dude in Mor Dhona? I wanna grind the Fenrir mount.

He uses Ascension rules, so I recommend a deck heavy in Primals. Back in the day, I would use Ifrit, Garuda, Titan. They are each 3-Star Cards. Bahamut is the best choice to use as your 5-Star Card. You'll also have space for one more card, and I don't know if they've added anymore 3-Star Primal cards since then, so you might just want to think about grabbing something fairly strong on ~2 Sides like a Behemoth.

Alternatively, you could use Imperial cards yourself. Livia and Rhitahtyn are 2-Stars but will get stronger faster since the Indolent Imperial is also using a deck based primarily in Imperials. Nero's 3 stars I think, and if you have Gaius, he's 5-Stars. I personally feel safer with the Primal setup though.

All this said, if you're really thinking of grinding this out Celes Reinhardt style, I feel like you should reconsider. I mean, it's totally viable, but I personally think it's just boring as poo poo doing the same thing over and over. Make sure you atleast pay attention to the rest of the challenge log. I feel like chocobo racing may be way more interesting for grinding than TT grinding these days.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Grimace posted:

All this said, if you're really thinking of grinding this out Celes Reinhardt style, I feel like you should reconsider. I mean, it's totally viable, but I personally think it's just boring as poo poo doing the same thing over and over. Make sure you atleast pay attention to the rest of the challenge log. I feel like chocobo racing may be way more interesting for grinding than TT grinding these days.
Yeah, chocobo racing and Verminion combined are good for... something insane like 450k MGP now. It's probably faster (if less brainless and probably actively unfun) to do them and then cap it off with Imperial grinding.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Doing Chocobo Racing on a regular basis is also a start on getting the Racing Chocobo Mask through the Covering Achievement.

I don't think I have any glamours I really want to use with it, but it's so silly when paired with the Chocobo Suit that I can't help but want it for my collection regardless.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
How quickly do you want Fenrir? You can get like 40-50K or so each week from the challenge log and that doesn't count TT tourney winnings, mini Cactpot, Jumbo Cactpot or upgraded GATE rewards, or the one time Chocobo challenges.

I would agree that if you put the time into Chocobo racing and stretch the timeline to like a 2-3 month window you'll get there with a lot less stress and probably not that much more time on the calendar.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

There's a small part of me that wishes I experienced the horror that was FFXI when it came out, but it likely would have prevented me going hard on WoW like I did, and WoW actually ended up being a really positive force in my life (jobs/friends through it).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

Cuchulainn is also one of the Zodiac Braves in Tactics.

(The fat one with the mouth stomach, his name is a bit different.)

Yeah, all of the Zodiac Braves in FFT show up in FFXII as well as the Braves that didn't make it in to Tactics. There's even some bestiary entries in FFXII that talk about the religion from Tactics being a newly formed cult in the Archadian Empire.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chocobo racing can be frustrating at times but it is infinitely more fun than Triple Triad, especially if you are picking one thing to farm after challenge logs are done for the week.

Now give me chocobo boots like the trainer at Gold Saucer and hide the catgirl tail in the chocobo costume and everything will be perfect.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

nuru posted:

There's a small part of me that wishes I experienced the horror that was FFXI when it came out, but it likely would have prevented me going hard on WoW like I did, and WoW actually ended up being a really positive force in my life (jobs/friends through it).

FFXI was entertaining at the time, and I'd play a single player version of it in a heartbeat. Even just running around one-shooting mobs or being invincible. I didn't play past CoP, so I'd like to see what's happened since then.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

synthetik posted:

FFXI was entertaining at the time, and I'd play a single player version of it in a heartbeat. Even just running around one-shooting mobs or being invincible. I didn't play past CoP, so I'd like to see what's happened since then.

Interestingly I just started playing FFXI for the nostalgia trip and the current iteration basically IS a single player game. They give you something called Trusts (summon able NPC characters that level with you and don't need gear) so you're bascially a walking party. I'm not saying it's a better game than a current MMO but if you're looking to walk down memory land and genuinely enjoyed FFXI, this is as good a time to hop back on as any.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
FFXI as it currently stands with its mechanics would be a fun game if the gameplay was like 10 times faster

The main problem the game has at this point is just that it takes forever to get anything done at all because the gameplay/combat is slow as molasses. I'm looking at you, altepa gate

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ChuckBTY posted:

Interestingly I just started playing FFXI for the nostalgia trip and the current iteration basically IS a single player game. They give you something called Trusts (summon able NPC characters that level with you and don't need gear) so you're bascially a walking party. I'm not saying it's a better game than a current MMO but if you're looking to walk down memory land and genuinely enjoyed FFXI, this is as good a time to hop back on as any.

I would have expected a change like this to make the current players all quit.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

nuru posted:

I would have expected a change like this to make the current players all quit.

Oh I've read a lot of rage on various boards. Whatever. I played the game back when it was a horror show (but that's all we knew back then, you see...) and if it was the same I would have dropped it in 7 seconds flat, but I'm kind of enjoying the leasurly pace of it. I've managed to get my Ranger to level 50 in about a week and a half (and if you're super hardcore you can get to 99 in less than that).

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
Can someone authorize me for ffgoons? The automated thing is still down.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Ceritus posted:

Can someone authorize me for ffgoons? The automated thing is still down.
You've been authed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I was bored and didn't feel like continuing with main story, so I did the Atma weapon quest. Only took ~2.5 - 3 hours to find all 12. The hardest one was Eastern La Noscea, because it turns out there isn't an atma in Eastern La Noscean. :sweatdrop:

Probably not going to bother with the other steps for a while though. I have better uses for all the poetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Shut up shut up shut up

FFXI was great, it got too easy with later expansions

Yes, I'm one of those people

Now, back to FFXIV -- what's with those moogles? Crazy!

• Locked thread