Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cirina posted:

The azem crystal and its summoning spell suck and I hope they both stop showing up in Dawntrail. We don't need an explanation for why duty finder is a thing and their new obsession with explaining it that started in Shadowbringers is the worst.

It's cool and good and their 'obsession' with explaining that goes back way longer and mostly as a reaction to constantly being asked about it.

It also helps reign in some of the "The WoL is super strong strongest there is and could 1 v 100000000 everything in existence" when they make it canon you're working with friends basically all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's cool and good and their 'obsession' with explaining that goes back way longer and mostly as a reaction to constantly being asked about it.

It only really started in Shadowbringers with G'raha's summoning, the examples you're probably thinking of in Stormblood like with Susano's random fishing buddies were both clearly jokes and also only existed in the english text, not in any of the other languages.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nessus posted:

I don't know if there's a term for it exactly but there seems to be a kind of 'reverse chosen one' thing where people seek out being the most generic and boring thing possible in the confines of a secondary world. I've seen it in a range of RPG spaces. Might just be a common reaction to lousy chosen-one stuff.

I think this is actually something you see a lot of in MMOs, and is probably a good instinct: everyone going around and being big-dick heroes is very boring and often very obstructive, you need people building out different levels of it all. And FFXIV is actually a great example of how that can be fun, the crafting and gathering quests do a great job of showing that the people going off and stabbing monsters in the face aren't the only people that can have interesting stories.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cirina posted:

It only really started in Shadowbringers with G'raha's summoning, the examples you're probably thinking of in Stormblood like with Susano's random fishing buddies were both clearly jokes and also only existed in the english text, not in any of the other languages.

Instead, the other languages just imply that the WoL isn't alone and refers to them in the plural. All English did was highlight it in a jokey manner.

ブンチンの協力を得て、コウジン族の宝物殿に入った冒険者たち。予想外にも、豪神スサノオが召喚されてしまった。紅玉海のタカラモチの棲処にある「」を調べよう。

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My WoL is in fact Goku, which is why I chose monk, so as far as I'm concerned I am the strongest and I alone am best and I'd really wish all these npcs would stop lotting on MY gear in dungeons:colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think a lot of people tend to get the cause and effect backwards.

You are not a great adventurer because you are Azem, you are Azem because you're a great adventurer. That's the entire point of what Azem is, it's basically the "we want an adventurer" seat and goes to the person most fit for that role.

Likewise you're not the WoL because you are Azem, you're the WoL because you are an adventurer. All Azem does is clarify that some part of you was always an adventurer. That this is who you are, as a person.

And I can understand getting annoyed at some bit of characterization being forced onto you, but the honest truth is that FFXIV is built upon the absolute basic concept that you are an adventurer. You wanted to be an adventurer. You chose to an adventurer. You, the player, can decide if it was for noble goals or because you liked excitement or because it was profitable, but it was why you began all of this in the first place. And one of the very first things you do is join a guild of adventurers who all want to adventure together.

Everything you have boils down to that. The Azem Crystal, at the end of the day, is a giant neon beacon going "Hey dudes, who wants to have a FUCKIN' COOL ADVENTURE?!" Having fun adventures is your character's entire reason for being and no matter how much you want to justify them otherwise that is who they are. Even if you want to be a chef in Eorzea, the story makes it clear you are someone who goes on great adventures to find rare ingredients. If you want to be a fisherman than your story will eventually take you to the end of the universe because it is where the rarest fish in existence are.

That is even the entire point of the Zenos thing at the end. Zenos recognizes you not as someone who is out for a fight but someone who is out for an adventure. That might include fighting or it might be a side effect of what you really want and you can decide that. But you're not a normal person who wants a quiet content life. You're an adventurer.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Really, the only part of the Azem plot that struck me personally as troublesome characterization for my WoL was the closeness with Hades, but even that I can silo into "that was her Ancient self, not anything current." (I'm also in the minority here!)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's also nothing within the text that says that the Ancients were sundered into 14 exact versions. Maybe there just happens to be 24 people who happened to inherit a piece of Azem on the Source running around. It's just our particular WoL that Emet noted it in.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Azem crystal kicks rear end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endwalker had Graha give a big theory on how shards of ancients maintain some general personality or like intention from their original which is why Amon is depressed. WoL inherited 'being an adventurer'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antivehicular posted:

Really, the only part of the Azem plot that struck me personally as troublesome characterization for my WoL was the closeness with Hades, but even that I can silo into "that was her Ancient self, not anything current." (I'm also in the minority here!)

In real life I had terrible and regrettable taste in friends when I was younger, I can only assume that a version of me from uncountable past lives and twelve thousand years ago would've had extremely objectionable taste in friends.

Expecting me to hold to the terrible judgement calls of who this past version of me considered worth hanging out with as a person? That's not gonna fly with me, I can see in the present day that this person sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think one of the reasons for the Elpis section is so that you get time to be buds with Hades and Hyth as yourself and build a connection there, not just because he's thinking of his old flame the whole time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Since I was the one who kicked this off, I feel I should clarify. I don't care about the WoL being a special boy or one of many, I care that every trial now involves them stealing the spotlight from the boss who's got their only chance to show off. Compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmXeIyyvsg
35 seconds, you spend a little time in the shot but mainly to have Titan towering over you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOKdmAcSP0
First 30 seconds. It's all Nidhogg, and the last shot before whiteout is them facing right at the camera doing an action pose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edpn4JbdBmg
45 second intro, all Susano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoybL0KJXqM
25 second intro. You still get to end in the boss doing an action pose, but 2/3 of the intro is spent focusing on you instead of them and then they have to squeeze in. No chance to show off. And it's the same 15 seconds we had for Rubicante (well, his was ~7, they gave him some more screen time), Barbariccia, Endsinger... they all have to work in you gazing angrily as people appear.

Maybe I'm the only person this annoys, it's not a dealbreaker or anything, I just want to make clear what bugs me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My WoL inherited being a drat weirdo from Azem.

Like the whole bit in Elpis is they assume you're something Azem sent over which I take to mean Azem is just constantly making weird lil fellas like some kinda mad scientist. Or else they're very fond of pranks.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Azem chooses all the jokey dialogue options. All the other Ancients loving hate it, but no one can stop them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think one of the reasons for the Elpis section is so that you get time to be buds with Hades and Hyth as yourself and build a connection there, not just because he's thinking of his old flame the whole time.

It made me hate them more (or hate them at all in the case of Hyth, I actually kinda liked Fake Hyth), so mission failed, but that's a me problem.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is why I favor the idea that the images that people have of the gods will live even as the Ancients who made them up have finally passed on. Like right now they're still a little formless because their forms just went into the sea (well most of them), but because people still worship the Twelve, those orbs we saw will again take on a certain shape- maybe not exactly the same as they were the first time, but still The Navigator, The Fury, etc.

Yeah this is my reading as well

This incarnation of the Twelve has moved on. But because the mechanisms are still in place inevitably new incarnations will rise up.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 9, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cleretic posted:

It made me hate them more (or hate them at all in the case of Hyth, I actually kinda liked Fake Hyth), so mission failed, but that's a me problem.

Ok

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah this is my reading as well

This incarnation of the Twelve has moved on. But because the mechanisms are still in place inevitably new incarnations will rise up.

I really like this take and the one you quoted! I thought about something though, was Dalamud in any of the scenes with the gods this patch? Did Menphina have to leave him behind because he wasn't an Ancient, but a total creation of faith? Or did I completely block him out for some reason

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Dalamud is incorporated into Eulogia's design in some way? Which would answer that

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arist posted:

I think Dalamud is incorporated into Eulogia's design in some way? Which would answer that

There's a wolf face on their chest, yeah.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

lines posted:

I look on it a different way: I view them as the same character but I have different canons for them depending on whether I want them to be the WoL or not.

I'm also in the crowd that compartmentalizes my character into two different "versions" of them, for the "my canon" version of the character, and the "MSQ" version of the character, who ends up doing all the stuff in the MSQ. That one can get a little weird sometimes due to him literally not being from Etheirys at all - this is the same character I've mentioned before over in the New Players thread who is a literal WoW refugee, I play him as being literally the same character from Azeroth, and he ended up in Etheirys not entirely by choice, but because I've sort of... organically ended up writing him into a trend of stumbling between worlds. Started with just dropping him into an RP that was explicitly designed to be a meeting place between all sorts of different settings so characters from different genres could meet and chat and get into shenanigans. But end result, dude not from Etheirys gets mixed up in the FF14 MSQ, and gets treated like a reincarnation of Azem.

On the rare occasion where I need to mingle the two different "versions" of Jon, my canon version and the MSQ version, I basically handwave it as him being shown 1.0-echo-style visions of the MSQ events with him slotted in as the WoL. He's not, but if I need to explain Jon's presence in the MSQ, that's how I do it; he's not ACTUALLY the WoL, but he's experienced this stuff through weird flashback visions and he has no idea why he's having those.

When I don't need to acknowledge that though, that all goes out the window and he's just his canon self, existing in a new world that isn't home, but he's getting used to it. He does a decent job not bringing up his origins, but once in a while he slips something minor; thankfully most people who don't already know wouldn't catch or understand most of said slip-ups.

Kyrosiris posted:

With a moustache!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Since I was the one who kicked this off, I feel I should clarify. I don't care about the WoL being a special boy or one of many, I care that every trial now involves them stealing the spotlight from the boss who's got their only chance to show off. Compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmXeIyyvsg
35 seconds, you spend a little time in the shot but mainly to have Titan towering over you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOKdmAcSP0
First 30 seconds. It's all Nidhogg, and the last shot before whiteout is them facing right at the camera doing an action pose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edpn4JbdBmg
45 second intro, all Susano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoybL0KJXqM
25 second intro. You still get to end in the boss doing an action pose, but 2/3 of the intro is spent focusing on you instead of them and then they have to squeeze in. No chance to show off. And it's the same 15 seconds we had for Rubicante (well, his was ~7, they gave him some more screen time), Barbariccia, Endsinger... they all have to work in you gazing angrily as people appear.

Maybe I'm the only person this annoys, it's not a dealbreaker or anything, I just want to make clear what bugs me.
The entire boss fight is the boss' chance to show off. They have if anything been playing up the boss getting cool moments with in fight cutscenes, like Barb's transformation

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cirina posted:

The azem crystal and its summoning spell suck and I hope they both stop showing up in Dawntrail. We don't need an explanation for why duty finder is a thing and their new obsession with explaining it that started in Shadowbringers is the worst. This extends to poo poo like 'oh I can just create 7 illusion copies of you that are just as strong :)' from pandaemonium too.

wrong

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I hope we use it for some completely mundane reason like we're trying to go out for drinks but Thancred's running behind so we summon him to the bar.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Urianger gets the crystal and summons 7 tiki drinks.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Arist posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

Wooord, ty!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

The entire boss fight is the boss' chance to show off. They have if anything been playing up the boss getting cool moments with in fight cutscenes, like Barb's transformation

Also I think they've been amping up the pre-fight appearances, too. Zeromus' first scene in the 'ugly body horror' form is basically an extended version of the fight intro.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hope we use it for some completely mundane reason like we're trying to go out for drinks but Thancred's running behind so we summon him to the bar.

Summoning 7 people just to hype me up for this solo duty.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Gotta say, I do hope they Finish the Job, as it were, and go back to add Duty Support to MSQ Trials as well, though at that point it's a question of what sort of allies we'll get. Mostly (if not all) generics I'm sure, but it's mainly a question of what classes and jobs' worth of generics they'll give us.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Using the Azem crystal as an intercontinental ballistic Rescue just to see if it works that way

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It'd have to be generics since every single trial is written around to make sure no named NPCs could possibly be there to help you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kazinsal posted:

Using the Azem crystal as an intercontinental ballistic Rescue just to see if it works that way

Give it to Y'shtola so she can summon seven nerds from across space and time and get research done eight times as fast.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I like that it's just Oschon/Derek that stays. It really speaks to his character as the one that wandered amongst mankind, and having such an emotional tie that he couldn't bear to go on without one last lifetime among us.

To your other point, that was kind of the whole point of not letting the truth out aside from in academic circles that would understand. It's important to not cheapen the meaning of faiths amongst the common folk, for the very reasons you stated. It doesn't matter to your average sailor that their thanks to the Navigator go back into a prayer-reprocessing machine instead of to her directly - the act and the faith it represents is what is important, and everyone present is in agreement about making sure that isn't harmed.

I think the latter part is something where I kind of bristle at it. Saying "your faith is important" feels fundamentally incompatible with "we know it is factually untrue" and is even, well, disrespectful to usurp it towards the more enlightened secular interests of those In the Know?

This is why I like Lord and ImpAtom's takes.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 9, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I really like this take and the one you quoted! I thought about something though, was Dalamud in any of the scenes with the gods this patch? Did Menphina have to leave him behind because he wasn't an Ancient, but a total creation of faith? Or did I completely block him out for some reason

Arist posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

Not only that, in the cutscene where they merge together they show Menphina being carried by Dalamud, like she is during her fight.

Cleretic posted:

Also I think they've been amping up the pre-fight appearances, too. Zeromus' first scene in the 'ugly body horror' form is basically an extended version of the fight intro.

Yeah, that's my feel too. They've been moving those moments to before the Trial, rather than inside it.

Blockhouse posted:

It'd have to be generics since every single trial is written around to make sure no named NPCs could possibly be there to help you

So were the dungeons, but they've rewritten all of the HW and StB bits so that the Scions and Friends can come along with the WoL instead.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate that they didn't change the part of HW where Alphinaud asks to go with you to the Aery and Estinien responds with "no way in hell, you're a child." And sure enough, you don't get him as a Duty Support option!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
how does the Nidhogg fight change if you have Estinien as a trust?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

So were the dungeons, but they've rewritten all of the HW and StB bits so that the Scions and Friends can come along with the WoL instead.

I should mention that even though I say this, there are some Trials where a rewrite would be significantly more difficult, if not impossible. Most of the impossible ones are post-Azem crystal, so there's no need there, but there's still stuff like Susano where there's only three of us there plus the potential risk of tempering, so some generic fill-ins are needed.

YoshiP did say that they've improved the Trust system even further with DT, allowing them to do stuff they're excited to show off. The last time he said that we had the Scions join us in fighting Hydaelyn, so I'm curious what they've got planned.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 9, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

Onean posted:

Oh, I'm under no illusions that we'd get anything but generics in the MSQ Trials. Before Shadowbringers, the Trials are almost all Primals who present risk of Tempering, so the Scions can't help there. In Shadowbringers, we actually straight up don't have enough Scions to fill the group in a Trial fight for Titania, so why even bother re-writing that. Vauthry, again not enough Scions to fill the Trial group, and they'd have to not just re-write, but cut out an entire scene. Then starting with Hades, we have the summoned allies for every Trial thereafter; initially with G'raha summoning them, then us via Azem's crystal.

Edit:

Onean posted:

YoshiP did say that they've improved the Trust system even further with DT, allowing them to do stuff they're excited to show off. The last time he said that we had the Scions join us in fighting Hydaelyn, so I'm curious what they've got planned.

One thing one of my friends has been aching for is the option to do Duty Support with 2 players, and have the NPCs fill in the missing slots instead of it being *purely* solo mode. Chances are slim, but we can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As a connoisseur of toku culture, the WoL pulling out a little tchotchke to activate their powers in a climactic moment is in my opinion sick as hell