Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If there's one thing Kobe loves it's ball movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Kobe is one insanely weird dude

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I knew he'd have trouble adjusting to life after basketball but I didn't see him completely losing his mind within a year and slapping old timey filters over footage and deepening his voice to narrate over said footage

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Kobe is one insanely weird dude

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The farther Kobe is removed from a winning basketball team, the better he gets

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My provider doesn't seem to have the Musecage Basketball Network.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
When MBN showed up I totally expected it to be Mamba Sports Network and I'm sad it wasn't.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hope Manu doesn't retire just cuz the basketball gods karma curse that will fall on the warriors for making this his last year
David west will break out in boils, wax will never get klay high again, Dray will miss every testes shot he attempts, and Ellen will never invite steph on her show thereby starving him of life force

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Part of the lma deal was tho that the spurs knew that cap was exploding after they signed him .

Yeah and a non-Bird max is a relative bargain begin with. 2015 was the perfect year to sign a UFA from another team (and then 2016 was the exact opposite).

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

EvanTH posted:

What was it about being down 20+ after two quarters and getting visibly destroyed on both sides of the floor by Kawhi that made you watch those quarters and think "The Warriors are the better team here"

San Antonio got run out of the gym by the Rockets in the first game. Remember all the hot takes "Clearly the Spurs are too old and lovely to compete against a modern offense!"

GSW has times where they look awful - they turn the ball over every other possession and jack dumb quick 3's.

Also LMA is a soft bum and has been like his entire career. He's a bad fit for San Antonio.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can someone tell me, a person who doesn't know anything, what's so exciting about Dejounte Murray?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

leftist heap posted:

Yeah and a non-Bird max is a relative bargain begin with. 2015 was the perfect year to sign a UFA from another team (and then 2016 was the exact opposite).

It was a fine deal at the time for what he was doing and a fine deal right now with the exploded cap. I just don't understand this "well they didn't really expect that much from him" talk. Pop wouldn't promise to postpone retirement just to recruit a man they expected to be a rich man's Matt Bonner. They may have expected him to be Kwahi's wingman, but he's been playing like an inefficient jump shooty secondary option and that's a problem

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 23, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zoux posted:

Can someone tell me, a person who doesn't know anything, what's so exciting about Dejounte Murray?

He's really young and has played pretty well taking over for Parker. Dude's also pretty tall and works decently on defense. I don't think he'll be a star or anything, but I can definitely see average starter which for where they drafted him is really good.

I don't know if anything's super exciting, but I don't think people are getting that excited over him either. He's a late round pick with some potential, which especially with how the cap's working in upcoming years is a huge asset.

WhyteRyce posted:

It was a fine deal at the time for what he was doing and a fine deal right now with the exploded cap. I just don't understand this "well they didn't really expect that much from him" talk. Pop wouldn't promise to postpone retirement just to recruit a man they expected to be a rich man's Matt Bonner. They may have expected him to be Kwahi's wingman, but he's been playing like an inefficient jump shooty secondary option and that's a problem

I still don't know what happened to his shot. It just seems to have died entirely. SA even runs a decent amount of sets that generate midrange shots so you'd think he'd be great for them but he's just not performed. Kawhi's jump in scoring this year seemed to coincide with a drop in Aldridge's which can't be a good sign.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 23, 2017

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

zoux posted:

He's tall and long and incredibly difficult to stop from getting to the rim/into the lane. He defensive woes are almost entirely mental and thus hopefully fixable. His shot isn't good but that's probably the talent the Spurs have above every other team in the league - fixing busted shots.

Did I mention he's only a fiftieth a millennium old?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I don't know if anything's super exciting, but I don't think people are getting that excited over him either. He's a late round pick with some potential, which especially with how the cap's working in upcoming years is a huge asset.

Spurs fans are super hyped about him, I've only seen him for a few minutes on the floor. He got completely destroyed by Patrick Beverly in the first game he started but that's not a shocker for a rookie starting his first playoff game vs. one of the best guard defenders in the league.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Being able to fix a busted shot on an otherwise good player is maybe the most valuable skill coaches can impart to players. It's infuriating that the Spurs keep doing it so well!!!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Maybe someday they'll be able to fix Danny Green's yips

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

I just don't understand this "well they didn't really expect that much from him" talk.

yeah, back in the day picking him up was talked about like there would be two equally good ~superstars~ in him and leonard

:thunk: welp

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spite posted:

San Antonio got run out of the gym by the Rockets in the first game. Remember all the hot takes "Clearly the Spurs are too old and lovely to compete against a modern offense!"

GSW has times where they look awful - they turn the ball over every other possession and jack dumb quick 3's.

Also LMA is a soft bum and has been like his entire career. He's a bad fit for San Antonio.

Lma was essential to beating Houston :shrug:

I don't get the lma hate. They got blown out by gsw after Leonard .... had an injury happen to him. Not much to take away from those 4 games.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bashez posted:

Did I mention he's only a fiftieth a millennium old?

Wow he's 521 fortnights old? Sounds like a bust to me

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Well yeah but if you watch those games instead of just looking at 0-4 and also look at the rest of LMAs playoffs he wasn't looking too hot. It's not that the team lost games they probably were going to lose, it's that a huge skill of his wasn't working like it used to.

Hoping he bounces back next year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

long, tall, fast, and can decently finish around the rim

that means he can penetrate offenses and will be a good defender

he just needs more seasoning, 1-2 more years. he can be taught how to pass better once he's more familiar with the offense and will create tons of open looks by careening into the lane and collapsing defenses. spurs typically only recruit guys who's shot they think can be fixed, so hopefully he'll develop some range. and playing for the spurs makes you play good team defense, so having green, leonard, and a potentially equivalent murray all out on the perimeter is about as good as perimeter defense can get in this league.

he played pretty well last night, for a rookie going up against "the best team in the league"

he's only 20 years old so there's tons of room for development. i mean, of course he could be a complete bust, there's always that risk, but he also has a high ceiling and is on just about the ideal team to reach it. especially now that he knows he's being handed the keys to one of the biggest franchises in the league and having the tone of the team set by kawhi.

one of the reasons i want ginobili to come back is because i just want him to coach people like murray and simmons and anderson. there's so much potential there

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm just glad that LMA is getting poo poo for legitimate bad play and not for silly stuff like leaving Portland for San Antonio, and playing hard against Memphis 2 years ago with a hosed up wrist.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zoux posted:

Spurs fans are super hyped about him, I've only seen him for a few minutes on the floor. He got completely destroyed by Patrick Beverly in the first game he started but that's not a shocker for a rookie starting his first playoff game vs. one of the best guard defenders in the league.

I mean maybe Spurs fans are but "[Team's] fans are super-hyped over [team's] young player" isn't something I tend to put much stock in. I thought he's played well enough given the circumstances, The Spurs also have a decent track record of turning lower round picks into rotation players (although being successful helps).

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

This is blasphemy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/867076030246264832

Leaving a good team to take the same role on a bad team is a weird move

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

Isn't Jason Kidd deeply rooted in power there? Might be a factor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

$$$$$$ probably.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

morestuff posted:

I can't see tweets at work so I'm going to assume this is about Dwayne Wade

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

being the GM that drafted giannis and thon maker who turned out shockingly good for a rookie despite him being 35 years old probably makes other teams line up the brinx trucks at you

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

man with this and the heroin endorsement curry is really trying to build a bad boy brand

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

morestuff posted:

Cautiously pumped. Hammond is a very good talent scout and drafter, but his trade and contract management leave a lot to be desired. But I'd kill to have the team the Bucks have right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe they can finally move on from Payton now that the fo isn't married to him .

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

alansmithee posted:

I mean maybe Spurs fans are but "[Team's] fans are super-hyped over [team's] young player" isn't something I tend to put much stock in. I thought he's played well enough given the circumstances, The Spurs also have a decent track record of turning lower round picks into rotation players (although being successful helps).

He was slotted in at 20 in basically every mock draft and was regarded as having come out too early. He only played a year in college. He's tremendous value for a 29th pick. He's going to be a good player.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

euphronius posted:

$$$$$$ probably.

Exactly. He'll get paid more and his friend will be his boss. Plus, he lives in Orlando over Milwaukee.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Maybe they can finally move on from Payton now that the fo isn't married to him .

Payton made big strides and was a positive player this year, but he's probably a career backup.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

morestuff posted:

Maybe he likes the Florida weather.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It's not money. Hammonds was with the team before the new owners bought the team and was getting pushed out for a while now.

Here is my Bucks history based on rumor and hearsay, so believe what you want. The owners kept Hammonds on after buying the team. Hammonds is nerdy/awkward but is a smart dude. The original intention was to keep him on until Kidd was ready to take on front office duties.

Kidd took on more power and called some shots 2 years ago, but it was a disaster. Think trading the Clippers first rounder for Vasquez, trading other veterans like Zaza and Dudley for nothing, drafting Vaughn etc. So the owners pivoted and hired Zanik from Utah as assistant GM last year to takeover eventually, with Hammonds retiring to a scouting role.

Hammonds gets a new no brainer opportunity so he takes the Orlando job. Now the more interesting rumors are that Kidd is on his way out this year or the next. Tons of rumors about him being grating on everyone.

My prediction is Zanik takes over and Kidd is gone next year.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Official now. Hammond at GM, Weltman as President of BBO. 5 year deal.

• Locked thread