Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

If the expansion comes with you know lots of new cinematics and expensive to produce content, that may be a little better I guess

I'll take another eight minute blizzard cinematic of Mephisto and Baal duking it out. That'd own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah if some of the stuff was around 5 bucks or so I would actually consider buying some of it but they had to go full on capitalist mode and charge ridiculous amounts of money for poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mean while Diablo Immortal is still getting new classes added and the newest one about to drop looks really cool lol.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Mean while Diablo Immortal is still getting new classes added and the newest one about to drop looks really cool lol.

Diablo Immortal probably makes way more money than Diablo 4.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Between OW2 and D4 it’s like a competition to see who can put out a more worthless season pass with terrible cosmetics. It’s not like they can’t make good cosmetics, they just put the garbage in the season pass and all the good stuff always in the store.

If Destiny can find the money to put unique armor sets in the battle pass per class then so can Diablo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

coelomate posted:

I'm really excited to try season 4 I think. I absolutely loved launch and season 1, then took a break and never tried seasons 2 and 3.

What's the early leveling meta expected to look like?

Rax says Necro and the usual Barb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yKl9LI9Qo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

I said come in! posted:

Is it actually worth playing without having to mortgage your house?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think some of the armor sets they are selling look pretty garbage and I’m someone who would buy one if it looked decent lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you're looking to convert money into cosmetics & gameplay advantages, it's perfect. Diablo 4 is a video game with a crappy cash shop tacked on as an afterthought. Immortal is an incredibly robust, feature-rich cash shop that they whipped up a crappy video game to tack on

There's a market for both!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

I think some of the armor sets they are selling look pretty garbage and I’m someone who would buy one if it looked decent lol

Some of the best looking stuff has been on the free battle pass line.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Mayveena posted:

I played for a few months around launch. I think it's fine. There's literally a whale system for them to all duke it out but for everything else it just eventually becomes logging in to do your daily/weekly things that have loot/currency timers and progressing forever bit by bit. Standard macro mobile/SEA f2p trappings over a Diablo skin. I had a good time when I played and bounced when it felt like I was doing a shopping list.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

I said come in! posted:

Why do we need to pay for an expansion at all when the game already has an outrageously expensive cash shop, and season passes that you can pay for?

In all seriousness, the cost of maintaining a live service & occasionally adding/refining systems is much lower than that of a full development push. For Blizzard specifically, the latter requires significantly more work from shared departments (e.g. cinematics), so there's an opportunity cost. There's also the cost of hiring voice actors and potentially outsourced art/QA/etc. to expedite the eventual release. Lastly, there's a higher chance of overtime which needs to be paid for.

To be clear, I think the prices in the cash shop are far too high. The $5 figure mentioned above is more what I'd expect. Really how well they're doing would better inform my view here. If they're not selling well, I wouldn't hate buying an expansion that looks promising. If they are selling well, yeah, gently caress that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MJBuddy posted:

I played for a few months around launch. I think it's fine. There's literally a whale system for them to all duke it out but for everything else it just eventually becomes logging in to do your daily/weekly things that have loot/currency timers and progressing forever bit by bit. Standard macro mobile/SEA f2p trappings over a Diablo skin. I had a good time when I played and bounced when it felt like I was doing a shopping list.

Same, it was a good phone arpg and the pvp arenas were fun but mobile gaming is terrible and i also abandoned it once i hit the paywall. i'm glad there's no actual whale cash shop in diablo 4 but immortal did do a few things better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think game devs get overtime but yeah . Good point re opportunity cost too. Although I don’t if blizzard has some other good ideas

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm surprised I have not seen anything about Ice Shard Sorceress. In S3 I was able to do 95% of what my amazingly good Barb could do with an Ice Shard sorceress (I could do T~90 NMDs while the Barb could manage 100s) despite no uber uniques or even being fully loaded with optimal items.

euphronius posted:

I don’t think game devs get overtime but yeah . Good point re opportunity cost too.
They dont get *paid* for overtime, but they work it regardless.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I got my bonus battle pass from buying the super expensive one when the game came out is there something to use it on in this upcoming season?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The premium battle pass still exists, yes. Extra cosmetics and some Diablo Bucks

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
OW2 cosmetics are way better than D4 and it's not even close imo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Cosmetics in shooters are a way bigger deal in general though. Gotta have that epic totally badass skull mask thingy!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

leftist heap posted:

OW2 cosmetics are way better than D4 and it's not even close imo.

yeah that mcree cowboy bebop skin was the best i ever saw

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

euphronius posted:

I don’t think game devs get overtime but yeah . Good point re opportunity cost too. Although I don’t if blizzard has some other good ideas

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They dont get *paid* for overtime, but they work it regardless.

It varies. Many (most?) devs classified as "full-time employees" are salaried. Some are hourly. Contractors are more likely to be hourly, though it can be conditional; i.e. OT has to be approved n amount of time in advance, OT isn't permitted at all (so they have to clock out for the day after being on for 480 minutes), etc.

Even with the salaried folks, the best project leads will be careful about OT.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How much have you spent at the cash & season pass shop?

Zerooooooo

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm Canadian so 50-70-90 is legit 70-90-110 haha

And yeah i know I'm not forced to buy it, and I'm not going to buy it, it's just crazy that they're gonna push it out already with the egregious monetization

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It didn't take all that long for D4 to be on sale for half price, so maybe the expansion will be the same

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

queeb posted:

egregious monetization

Elaborate?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Probably battle pass and overpriced cosmetics shop

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

People have already said in the last page that they'd probably bite if skins in the shop were $5 a pop instead of $25. :v: Likewise the battlepass is absurdly bad value even for a battlepass. If I passed $10 to Dead by Daylight right now they'd give me 3-4 full high effort three-piece cosmetic sets instead of this piecemeal one armor set and some extra generic medieval weaponry skins.

Everything in D4 is priced like they've accepted that only the whales will bite in the first place. Now I'm not a fan of microtransactions and would prefer everything be earnable in game but in a hypothetical where we accept that trading cash for dev support and a little treat from the art team is fine then D4 is still pretty bad value.

If I was a D4 cash shop proponent I'd want skill asset swaps like different Necro/Druid minion types, making my Barb/Rogue freak out like a feral vampire for their attacks and so on.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 14, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doomykins posted:

Everything in D4 is priced like they've accepted that only the whales will bite in the first place.

This is a good summary of what I think every time I peep at the shop

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I read "egregious monetization" I imagine a game where everything is monetized in some way. I would call the lovely 25 dollar transmog sets in d4 "insulting".

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I am usually moving too fast to notice my characters while I'm turning demons into red mist. I never notice my characters except at the login screen. I'm never buying that poo poo at any price. :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah that's the thing, it's all made-up frustration at something nobody cares about.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i have always finished the battle pass before getting my first character of the season to 100, let alone end game. i feel like it's super easy to complete the pass without paying and then, if you like anything, buy it. $10 for the pass, $7 returned in the pass you can use for a future pass if you like. $3 of blizzbucks seems like a pretty good price for what you get

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

MarcusSA posted:

Probably battle pass and overpriced cosmetics shop

Yeah this, id be "fine" with a battle pass/cosmetics like poe does if you got all further updates for free, but a battle pass, cosmetics and a 70 dollar expansion is wild to me.

It's a 70 dollar tax to keep playing since I'm guessing it won't be reasonable to play without the expansions

Id love to be wrong though

I'm probably old and out of touch, and Poe brained as far as seasons and stuff go

queeb fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 14, 2024

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

queeb posted:

Yeah this, id be "fine" with a battle pass/cosmetics like poe does

To be clear, you are arguing that it would be better if D4 had blind boxes, the actual way that PoE makes money?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

queeb posted:

Yeah this, id be "fine" with a battle pass/cosmetics like poe does if you got all further updates for free, but a battle pass, cosmetics and a 70 dollar expansion is wild to me.

It's a 70 dollar tax to keep playing since I'm guessing it won't be reasonable to play without the expansions

Id love to be wrong though

I'm probably old and out of touch, and Poe brained as far as seasons and stuff go

Seasons, meaning their new content and updates, are free. "Battle pass" only costs money if you want the cosmetics

The only Diablo 4 content that costs money is Diablo 4, and eventually Vessel of Hatred

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, D4 battle passes are just more cosmetics. The Ashes are the only thing that affect the game, and they're free.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mayveena posted:

its fun until you get closer to 'current' content which requires a shitload of daily mobile game rear end grinding

I enjoyed my time going thru the campaign and getting dopamine spikes last month as new players get hella boosted until you reach end of campaign and get closer to the paragon level cap.

Also the game really wants you to do MP stuff including pvp and incentivizes it with leggos and whatnot.

My review is Blood Knight is pretty neat but doesnt seem to fit into d4 cause Necro already kinda covers it all

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Scoss posted:

To be clear, you are arguing that it would be better if D4 had blind boxes, the actual way that PoE makes money?

totally fair, i forgot about those, i broke free from fomo years ago and havent bought a battle pass or loot box or anything in a game in probably years. I was thinking supporter packs but they probably do make mint off the cosmetic boxes

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Diablo IV season 4: improved loot, but the thread is still bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Cerepol posted:

Also the game really wants you to do MP stuff including pvp and incentivizes it with leggos and whatnot.

Yeah you absolutely need to be doing the shopping list daily/weekly to make progress at a decent clip and at least one of those is PvP, which when I played was your turn to be red mist fodder for the single whale in every game that runs roughshod on everyone. Not the most pleasant thing