Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

DigitalMocking posted:

I don't understand why anyone in TYOOL 2016 wouldn't use a service like mimecast.

We're 350 users, 80 of them are remote. We've had 1 cryptolocker infection that happened about 3 months ago via an infected HP Procurve firmware package got downloaded. Every other one gets quarantined by mimecast, helpdesk either deletes or tests potentially bad programs/links in a sandbox.

Not all crypto comes via mail... We are a Mimecast partner, and have had three clients get hit.
The three vectors as derived from intercepted metadata from the end-point:
Compromised news service serving malware.
USB infection via Windows phone used to introduce pirated content.
Compromised Social Media site serving malware.

I typically use DTEX SystemSkan to monitor this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

He glued more fingers onto the other stuff he glued to his hands, now he's the fastest typist ever
Ol' Krazy Keyboardin' Collateral they call him, typin' like a receptionist on meth

He removed his mittens and started furiously multi-keyboard typing while gleefully shouting "LOOK AT THEM - LOOK AT MY BUCKY FINGERS AHAHAHAHAH!"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I was tasked to update the website of my organization to account for various departmental and personnel changes related to the new fiscal year. I was shown a 2300 line JSON file with a hand-rolled schema that the CMS uses to generate the staff and department list pages. It has descriptive boolean fields such as "R" and "S." It has strings such as "begin" and "end" to denote the start and end of data like a kind of hand-rolled, well-aged, artisanal tag system.

It doesn't even include all personnel, just ones high level enough to put their names on a website. There is no way to preview your edits. There is no linter to verify that your edits don't contain syntax errors. The sole feedback you get is the staff/department pages being blank in the event that you forget a comma, paren, or quote somewhere.

The person training me on this system has been suffering silently with this for the past 3 years. She described the system as, "something made by people way smarter than us."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sfwarlock posted:

"Oh, those IT idiots are telling me to reboot again, that never works, they just have to say it, they don't realize it throws away all my stuff, I'll lie and tell them I did it."

Yeah I don't even ask anymore.
Hell, I don't even check uptime, I just send a restart command.

If I like you, I'll call you first and ask if you have saved your work recently.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
It took over an hour for someone to help me out on an issue today after repetitively saying "I don't know what I'm doing can someone please help me". It's one of the systems I have very little experience in, and 2 of the 3 other guys here have extensive knowledge, but apparently my pleads fell on deaf ears.

I almost pulled a CE and just walked away from the drat thing because if I'm going to be spending an hour doing jack poo poo, I might as well be doing it on my own terms.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Coworker who is working onsite at client's place sent us a new PC to put some more HDDs in (seriously, who puts 8 4TB drives on consumer motherboard :psyduck:). We put disks in, PC won't power on. Hey, maybe this 400W PSU is inadequate? Nope, still won't power on without disks. Let's look at the motherboard then...

:cmon:

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 6, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Coworker who is working onsite at client's place sent us a new PC to put some more HDDs in seriously, who puta 8 4TB drives on consumer motherboard :psyduck:). We put disks in, PC won't power on. Hey, maybe this 400W PSU is inadequate? Nope, still won't power on without disks. Let's look at the motherboard then...

How the gently caress do you even get that motherboard in the case? Let alone NOT NOTICE THE HUGE MANUFACTURING DEFECT.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in:

"I CAN'T ACCESS THIS loving ATTACHMENT AND MY COMPUTER DOESN'T WORK NOW FIX IT." -> Forwards email

• Company name spelled wrong
  • No punctuation
  • repeat words
  • Email address is @cox.net
  • Name doesn't match the email
  • From a "bank" we don't interact with at all
  • "Invoice" for our president's personal bank account

"Did you try and open it?"
"OF COURSE IT'S FOR HER BANK WTF."
"Please bring your laptop to IT right away and do not use it."
"OH MY GOD NOW YOU'RE TAKING MY LAPTOP AWAY."

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How the gently caress do you even get that motherboard in the case? Let alone NOT NOTICE THE HUGE MANUFACTURING DEFECT.

It's not a defect, that's a standoff.

As for how did he managed to fit motherboard in case without noticing it, :iiam:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Not all crypto comes via mail... We are a Mimecast partner, and have had three clients get hit.
The three vectors as derived from intercepted metadata from the end-point:
Compromised news service serving malware.
USB infection via Windows phone used to introduce pirated content.
Compromised Social Media site serving malware.

I typically use DTEX SystemSkan to monitor this poo poo.

Do you not have a UTM intercepting that poo poo?

Yes, there are other vectors, like I said, we got caught from a supposedly trusted vendor (HP printer drivers), but from malware? I mean, there's nothing you can do about Windows Phone since that's physical layer, but there really is no reason for an enterprise to get infected with crypto unless someone brings it in from home physically or is trying to circumvent your security.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Coworker who is working onsite at client's place sent us a new PC to put some more HDDs in seriously, who puta 8 4TB drives on consumer motherboard :psyduck:). We put disks in, PC won't power on. Hey, maybe this 400W PSU is inadequate? Nope, still won't power on without disks. Let's look at the motherboard then...

what the gently caress

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
What is that?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dillbag posted:

What is that?

It's one of the little things you clip into the backing plate of the case to then receive the screw coming through the motherboard.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

Other than their piece of poo poo web interface Mimecast has been solid at this place. No crypto in over a year.

Seconded for ProofPoint. Not one case of any cryptolocker variant EVER. Also has a garbage interface, though.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Dillbag posted:

What is that?

Someone was trying to desolder with a lighter, but the windscreen ended up getting soldered to it instead. When he realized the lighter was stuck to the motherboard, one quick yank and boom, custom spacer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hey I got an e-mail

quote:

Subject: ??????

??????

:confused:

I want to respond with "yes"

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

hey I got an e-mail

!!!!!!

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

It's one of the little things you clip into the backing plate of the case to then receive the screw coming through the motherboard.

This. It probably fell in, or something, and when MB was screwed down it clipped onto the pins.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Any news on the crypto'd TV station, Larches? :f5:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Renegret posted:

hey I got an e-mail

:golgo:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The "????" makes it look like the sender used a special font that the receiver doesn't have installed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Footprints tards out like that with unrecognized characters. "Unrecognized" can be as elementary as a semicolon depending on your implementation.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Doctor Bombadil posted:

This. It probably fell in, or something, and when MB was screwed down it clipped onto the pins.

I'm sure shorting those pins is really good for whatever it is on the other side of that board, too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Probably my favorite moment ever at my job. We did a knowBefore spam test a little while back, and about five people clicked the link and opened the attachment. Yesterday we had an all-hands meeting, a company lunch.

During the time at the end when the President stands up and talks about what's going on with our company and the client companies, what's coming down the pipe etc. he brought up the phishing test. He explained what happens when we get Crypto'd and that he'd calculated loss of a file server for a whole day would cost a couple hundred thousand in lost productivity. Then he basically said "don't open attachments or click links in emails, if it's not something you're expecting. You have all been warned."

Dead silence in the room, except for in my mind where a triumphant orchestral march was playing. I know it'll result in a ton of paranoia, people asking IT to look at emails to see if they are safe, but better that than yet another restore from backups.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MrMojok posted:

Probably my favorite moment ever at my job. We did a knowBefore spam test a little while back, and about five people clicked the link and opened the attachment. Yesterday we had an all-hands meeting, a company lunch.

During the time at the end when the President stands up and talks about what's going on with our company and the client companies, what's coming down the pipe etc. he brought up the phishing test. He explained what happens when we get Crypto'd and that he'd calculated loss of a file server for a whole day would cost a couple hundred thousand in lost productivity. Then he basically said "don't open attachments or click links in emails, if it's not something you're expecting. You have all been warned."

Dead silence in the room, except for in my mind where a triumphant orchestral march was playing. I know it'll result in a ton of paranoia, people asking IT to look at emails to see if they are safe, but better that than yet another restore from backups.

You should have applauded.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

The "????" makes it look like the sender used a special font that the receiver doesn't have installed.

It's possible, but here's the thing:

It came from a @vtext.com address and like hell I'm looking up who that phone number belongs to. I'm pretty sure it was a tech responding to a page we sent to his group, and also these techs are (generally speaking) idiots.

It also might have been intended for his boss. Or maybe he didn't understand the page. Who knows.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Does anybody here have a template they've used for a Ransomware Security Incident Report? I'm tasked with documenting what happened yesterday and have never written one of these things before, so a template would be immensely helpful in coming up with what format should be used.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Ticket!

:downs: : I need a new mouse
:cool: : ok. Here is a new mouse
:downs: : Its not wireless
:cool: : We don't have any wireless mice right now
:downs: : ok

. . .

:cool: : Whats that noise? *Looks over cube wall*
:downs: : *Is taking co-worker's wireless mouse*
:cool: : :confused:

Actually chat convo from a different of our offices, but seriously, WTF?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ilkhan posted:

Ticket!

:downs: : I need a new mouse
:cool: : ok. Here is a new mouse
:downs: : Its not wireless
:cool: : We don't have any wireless mice right now
:downs: : ok

. . .

:cool: : Whats that noise? *Looks over cube wall*
:downs: : *Is taking co-worker's wireless mouse*
:cool: : :confused:

Actually chat convo from a different of our offices, but seriously, WTF?

At new job, my dept is mostly remote, tho we do have desks in the office(its not offically remote, we just do it). Every time I bother going into the office, something else has been missing. Up to and including my dock and the cables for my monitors(2 different days).

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

User: Hi, I was wondering how long it would take to install the Windows 10 App on my iPad like <manager> does?
Me: <manager> has a Surface Pro, not an iPad. I'll get out an order if you can get your manager to approve it.
User: No, Surfaces are terrible - they are made by Microsoft, you know? I need to stay with Apple. So, when can you put Windows 10 on here?
Me: ...Microsoft Windows 10 will not work on an Apple iPad.
User: Microsoft? They don't make Windows 10, do they?
Me: :stare:
User: Wow. I need to get rid of my PC at home..... I bet Windows 7 isn't Microsoft. I'll just use that. *walks away lost in thought*

People. People hurt.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MrMojok posted:

I will look at every drat attachment by hand if that is what I have to do to have users avoid getting my stuff cryptoed. It takes all of a few minutes for me, and if I'm still unsure because it seems odd (but we deal with odd people) I have an isolated computer I can test it on physically and then reimage without it touching my network. That computer has had 0 actual infections but 4 PDFs that were "locked click here to install unlocker" or "click here to unlock with your google account" and 1 legit that I thought was bogus. Everything else has been glaringly fake with 1 user who is a bit paranoid and sent me 3 very legit looking messages (that I didn't bother to test and said they are good).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A ticket went out to Toshiba. Hold music: "Welcome to Toshiba. Woop woop!"

(Some promotional words here)

"....so be sure to check us out on the inter-webz (emphasis on the z)."

:newfap:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Other than their piece of poo poo web interface Mimecast has been solid at this place. No crypto in over a year.

late but mimecast is cool and great

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any news on the crypto'd TV station, Larches? :f5:

Nope.

I've been busy with my employee literally hiding in his office for three days now in the dark with bloodshot eyes.

I've asked him several times if he's alright and what's going on but he just says nothing and that he's fine. I've got too much other poo poo on my plate to be concerned with him now and nothing has broken that's needed his immediate attention.

This morning the director noticed his door was shut, barged in, and loving lambasted him for a good ten minutes. Then he turned on me and told me that if there isn't enough work for two people then maybe we don't need two people.

His disdain for my employee is hardly a secret.

My disdain is getting harder to hide.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

So your underling is Towlie from South Park?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket went out to Toshiba. Hold music: "Welcome to Toshiba. Woop woop!"

(Some promotional words here)

"....so be sure to check us out on the inter-webz (emphasis on the z)."

:newfap:

Oh man I had to call Spirit airlines at 5 AM because they canceled my loving flight (I got what I paid for) and the loving stuff the voiceover was saying was so god drat annoying. Literally shouting "WE KNOOOW, WE KNOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Customer service calls can be a drag" god drat stop trying to be cute you idiots and get a backup 737 for the route.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

larchesdanrew posted:

And you two started out so well, too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Nope.

I've been busy with my employee literally hiding in his office for three days now in the dark with bloodshot eyes.

I've asked him several times if he's alright and what's going on but he just says nothing and that he's fine. I've got too much other poo poo on my plate to be concerned with him now and nothing has broken that's needed his immediate attention.

This morning the director noticed his door was shut, barged in, and loving lambasted him for a good ten minutes. Then he turned on me and told me that if there isn't enough work for two people then maybe we don't need two people.

His disdain for my employee is hardly a secret.

Tell him it's currently slow and you need enough manpower for high volume times. Any down time is spend researching new technology to implement or learning a new skill to save money not having to hire a consultant. Lack of ablity to deal with peak volume will lead to downtime of several people and will cost more then the yearly salary of a helpdesk guy. Not having someone under you means you will have to do simple tasks such as replace a mouse or assist with an email issue. If the entire phone system is down or the file server you will not be able to help with day to day issues resolving an issue that may take the better part of the day, if not multiple days for a large scale failure.

Ideally you don't have any recovery that takes days (this means you didn't have a good backup ready most of the time but it happens from time to time, some undocumented system, or something you have said needs $xxxx to have a good backup for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malek posted:

So your underling is Towlie from South Park?

I asked him for the IP for our wifi controller and he says

:downs: "It's... uh... 1.2.3.4 and then those two little dots. I don't know what they're called... uh... those two little dots 1234."

I just... I told him those are a colon, and asked if he knew what the number after them represented and he did not know what they represented and oh my god.

• Locked thread