Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Exactly. Wedge and Wes are already goddamn monsters on offense. If offense isn't feasible (thanks Wedge), and defense isn't feasible (thanks Biggs), then it stands to reason that maneuverability is the thing that should be affected. This is one of (and absolutely the biggest) reason my X-wing homebrew fix is built the way it is, because you can use it to improve the defense of high skill pilots with strategic bumping and the offense of low skill pilots by making it easier to get into position to turn around for the fewest unavailable shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

And it's not like Wedge needs an offensive boost any more than Biggs needs a defensive one.

Eh. Wedge getting to Fenn levels wouldn't break much at all.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Eh. Wedge getting to Fenn levels wouldn't break much at all.

Wedge with an auto-crit is waaaaay past Fenn levels, buddy. You're getting the same number of dice (with higher consistency) against reduced target defense at close range, and you're getting better dice (more consistent to boot) against no-worse-than-even target defenses at ranges 2 and 3.

Wedge (and X-wings) don't need improved offense. Also red dice power creep is real and it needs to stop for the health of the game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

Wedge with an auto-crit is waaaaay past Fenn levels, buddy. You're getting the same number of dice (with higher consistency) against reduced target defense at close range, and you're getting better dice (more consistent to boot) against no-worse-than-even target defenses at ranges 2 and 3.

Wedge (and X-wings) don't need improved offense. Also red dice power creep is real and it needs to stop for the health of the game.

You're getting that sure.

Once.

Then you're not getting it again til you spend a round not shooting with your primary *at all*.

E: I don't disagree about red creep FWIW. If I could think of a decent manoeuvrability upgrade for the X0Wing that's more interesting that 'give it boost or barrel roll' I'd be all over it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

gently caress it, lets go whole hog.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Strobe posted:

Nope. We need more red dice. MORE RED DICE FOR THE DICE GOD. :unsmigghh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hahahahaha loving STAW.

I really, really wish Finn and Fenn hadn't been published. And Norra. And the Ghost and the Upsilon. 4-die-primary or effectively 4-die primary ships should have stayed with the Phantom. If that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What this game really needs is a goddamned rotation. So much of what we bitch about (x-wings, red dice inflation, etc) all comes from new things being compared to old things.

It's a sad fact that early-wave X-Wing was operating under a different set of expectations for the game. Today's X-Wing has a richer design space with a broader range of possibilities than the early waves.

Let's toss out the old, outdated stuff, and bring it back with current design expectations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

lol is it just me or do the stats on the card not match the cardboard base

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

What this game really needs is a goddamned rotation. So much of what we bitch about (x-wings, red dice inflation, etc) all comes from new things being compared to old things.

It's a sad fact that early-wave X-Wing was operating under a different set of expectations for the game. Today's X-Wing has a richer design space with a broader range of possibilities than the early waves.

Let's toss out the old, outdated stuff, and bring it back with current design expectations.

I've said before in this thread; I would love a rotating block similar to MTG, maybe on a yearly basis? They can release old ships with new pilots and upgrades that are valid that "season" only. Tournaments can still be ran as "unlimited" with all the stuff released.

It would take a lot of effort to figure out though.

EDIT: ^^^I had real trouble finding a squad builder that wasn't hot garbage. I never actually did find one that wasn't.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

You're getting that sure.

Once.

Then you're not getting it again til you spend a round not shooting with your primary *at all*.

E: I don't disagree about red creep FWIW. If I could think of a decent manoeuvrability upgrade for the X0Wing that's more interesting that 'give it boost or barrel roll' I'd be all over it.

I take it you don't agree with my maneuverability upgrade? :v:

And honestly even at PS9 if Wedge survives the joust (lol) I end up peeling off and not having a target at least a couple times a game.

It being actionless and working while stressed bugs me slightly more. If it was closer to "When attacking with a primary weapon, if your are not stressed..." So you can't combo it on a kturn for free or with R3-A2, and if the flip trigger on the other side was just "action" so you had to choose between focus for defense and getting a decent shot with your main guns I would probably really like it.

Make that a mod and mine a title and put in both. :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

In the meantime, the T-70's are pretty nice to fly. :)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That they are. But it's pretty telling that things have changed enough to make engine upgrade, shield upgrade, an ept slot, two more turn around maneuvers, more green on the dial, and a tech slot cost only 3 points (Red Squad to Red Vet).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I could go for a lot of generics getting EPTs. B-wing, Z-95, Y-wing, whoever!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could go for a lot of generics getting EPTs. B-wing, Z-95, Y-wing, whoever!

Srsly tho.

I genuinely think they shouldn't ever bother publishing multiple non-EPT generics. Just put in an extra unique instead, non-ept generics SO rarely get used except the cheapest.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thespaceinvader posted:

Hahahahaha loving STAW.

I really, really wish Finn and Fenn hadn't been published. And Norra. And the Ghost and the Upsilon. 4-die-primary or effectively 4-die primary ships should have stayed with the Phantom. If that.

Phantoms never should have been created, hth.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TIE Fighter: · Ahsoka Tano (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
· Captured TIE (1)
· Sabine's Masterpiece (1)
· Rey (2)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)

VCX-100: · Hera Syndulla (40)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Accuracy Corrector (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
· C-3PO (3)
Navigator (3)
· Ghost (0)

Attack Shuttle: · "Zeb" Orrelios (18)
· "Chopper" (0)
· Phantom (0)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

I gave up against this list after four turns. Bossk took eight damage in two turns, even with two dice from an obstacle; he was able to easily stay at range 3. Makes me want to not even play.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Stop playing so competitively, Joeslop.

Run some Missions with a friend. Get a casual game or five in. Buy some Hotwheels and play HotAC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That Hera list is super annoying to fly against.

But super fun to fly

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Stop playing so competitively, Joeslop.

Run some Missions with a friend. Get a casual game or five in. Buy some Hotwheels and play HotAC.

None of my friends play the wangs and half the league group is playing Infinity or Destiny if they aren't wanging.

Instead I'll just take a break this league.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Looks like I may luck out with store championships. My regular shop is holding one on a Sunday and the closest town and hour away is hold one the day before. If the dark lord smiles on me I can win both and get a bye for two regionals I plan on going to.

Just need to find two goats to sacrifice to the dice gods that week.

Edit: For the people who play it what do you guys think of Armada? Thinking about getting into it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I do not like Armada. It takes forever to play; that's my main complaint. It's also often obvious who will win an hour before that actually happens.

I know people who love it, but it's not for me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I could probably be convinced to get into Armada if I had a regular group to play it with, but I don't, so I don't.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Take two! Now with half the cost, +1ps added on, and it changed to rerolling blanks

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I do not like Armada. It takes forever to play; that's my main complaint. It's also often obvious who will win an hour before that actually happens.

I know people who love it, but it's not for me.

I thought Armada was only supposed to last like 6 turns. Playing an X-wing style deathmatch will take forever to finish.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

IronSaber posted:

I thought Armada was only supposed to last like 6 turns. Playing an X-wing style deathmatch will take forever to finish.

It does, the turns are atrociously slow, however.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

IronSaber posted:

It takes forever AND you don't get to do much!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

6 turns over 2-3 hours.

Some of the ships require you to dial in their move 2-3 turns in advance. So the thing you dial in at the beginning of the game? You might not see its effects until 1.5 hours later.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Armada is more of a 'War Game', where I've heard X-Wing referred to more as 'board game-ish'. Not sure what the means, other then its faster to play, is more friendly to newer players and doesn't require 4 hours and a 7 foot table to play one game.

Armada is just...too much for me.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
My favorite part about armada is despite it requiring a 3'x6' play area, I've not once seen a game that used more than a 3'x3' amount of it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like Armada but I only play it casually. The competitive meta for that game is kinda bleh right now and I absolutely hate that youre forced to do those godawful objective cards. Its def more fun the less seriously you take it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I like Armada but I only play it casually. The competitive meta for that game is kinda bleh right now and I absolutely hate that youre forced to do those godawful objective cards. Its def more fun the less seriously you take it.

What don't you like about the objectives? I played Armada like twice but the objective system sounded cool

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Think the Hammerhead Corvette is small enough to be the next Epic ship for the Rebels?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

For sure! Dimensionally it's shorter than a CR90, just taller. Whether they keep bothering with epics for the two main factions or not, I don't know.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

My only curiosity is what kind of Scum epic ship could match the CR90 and the Imperial Raider. The C-ROC cruiser doesn't seem to be able to match those two.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

What don't you like about the objectives? I played Armada like twice but the objective system sounded cool

I just dont find any of them to be particularly fun and some have a ridiculous amount of bonus points given by them. I'd rather just be able to choose the option to not bring any if want. I prefer the x-wing style of win by killing things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IronSaber posted:

My only curiosity is what kind of Scum epic ship could match the CR90 and the Imperial Raider. The C-ROC cruiser doesn't seem to be able to match those two.

It doesn't. I'd've said the Star Jewel but Jabba already came out in the CROC. Wild Karrde has often been suggested.

But for me the most likely one is probably the Nightbrother/Gauntlet. ALbeit it's a really loving awkward shape.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
3 hour matches... Blahh might not pick up Armada then. Might try imperial Assault

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

There's that crusader cruiser or whatever that had a fake spoiler with an upgraded star viper a year or so back. That thing seemed pretty cool and I was really disappointed when that turned out to be a hoax :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ConfusedUs posted:

Just thought I'd come back to this.

There's literally nothing stopping FFG from releasing a Most Wanted style box with new T-65 X-Wing ship tokens. Chuck in a new rebel ship or a new colour scheme to add some plastic to the box or whatever.

It's not like you don't already have to buy six million other ships for the upgrades you need now, so who cares.

• Locked thread