Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bleck posted:

The very large face looked bad, like it was a very large face. Why didn't they just make the very large face look different? These CGI artists really need to figure out how to change based on my completely reasonable and meaningful criticisms

lol this wouldn't even be on the top 20 list of the worst commercial art critiques I've been through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The shaggy widow's peak is what made comic MODOK work.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kumba posted:

I feel like most folks (myself included) have no real context for what MODOK is or is meant to be outside of what is presented in the film

Without having read this thread I would have no idea that monstrosity was supposed to look that stupid, which I think means it missed the mark

Most of what I know about MODOK came from internet osmosis instead of first-hand comic reading. Still, it's a dude with a gianormous and an itty-bitty (by comparison) body whose heel-face turn is precipitated by a teenage girl telling him, "Don't be a dick." It's pretty clear to me that as movie villains go, this dude isn't exactly Amon Geothe or even Voldemort.

Nikumatic posted:

It’s the “we aren’t allowed to take weird comic book poo poo seriously” problem per usual.

Take it as deadly seriously as you choose, but recognize that some other people won't.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I want MODOK in the MCU to be just a terrible character with no redeeming qualities, really, but also ultimately harmless. A useless character that is useless on purpose and we're all in on the joke and we all hate it when he shows up, but so do all of the other characters in the films.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I have no problem with any of the character traits anyone is talking about. But look at him.

Do you really think they made him look that bad on purpose? Or do you think he looks that bad because of lovely CGI contraints? (Picture pulled from Google image search, so not a perfect capture, but pretty close.)

edit:

I mean, a little better, but jesus.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 31, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah it's gross and bad. His facemask was actually really cool. poo poo, the bad avengers game had a better looking MODOK

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I have no problem with any of the character traits anyone is talking about. But look at him.

Yeah, I see him. Fuckin' hate that guy. I hope he's in every MCU film from now on.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

thrawn527 posted:

Do you really think they made him look that bad on purpose? Or do you think he looks that bad because of lovely CGI contraints?

Who cares.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hope they pull a Lucas and go back and put him in previous MCU movies. I want MODOK in Cap's elevator fight.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Modok looked like he belonged in Spykids.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
As a reminder, his name isn’t M.O.D.O.L.G.

*looking good

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bleck posted:

The very large face looked bad, like it was a very large face. Why didn't they just make the very large face look different? These CGI artists really need to figure out how to change based on my completely reasonable and meaningful criticisms

For comparision this is how he looks in his earliest appearance (or one of them)

this is how he looked in the movie

i like this design from a vidja game

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

MODOK was the best part of Quantumania and I’m including the design in that appraisal. Damning with the faintest praise though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MokBa posted:

MODOK was the best part of Quantumania and I’m including the design in that appraisal. Damning with the faintest praise though.

I'm still irritated that they didn't make MODOK the main (apparent) villain and put Majors in a version of Bill Murray's spot, spinning a story about how MODOK "the invader" usurped his technology to become a tyrant. You could still get big goofy fight scenes, the Resistance uprising, the ants, even the heel-face "don't be a dick" turn so even the bad guy gets a happy ending.

And then Kang just loving kills him with the push of a button and flies off in his time-ship while Scott and the others suck on the knowledge that they've helped unleash someone way scarier than MODOK ever dreamed of being.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

MokBa posted:

MODOK was a great anti-humor gag and that’s why I like it. That was not the director’s intention, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked MODOK's tiny lil butt cheeks

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

MODOK was a great anti-humor gag and that’s why I like it. That was not the director’s intention, though.

I appreciate that being turned into a Modified Organism Designed Only (for) Killing made Stoll's character overall nicer than he was as a corporate CEO.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I just pretended MODOK was Eph in the afterlife.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Finally finished She-Hulk. The special effects make her look like a cartoon in most of the show.

I feel like a key special effects person working at Marvel must have quit right after Endgame.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just watched quANTuMANia tonight with the folks. For all the poo poo it's gotten online I didn't hate it. It's probably not going to be anybody's favorite Marvel movie but for one of those it was 'fine', as most of them are. Nothing in it was dumb enough to make me actually angry like in Captain Marvel or Black Panther. MODOK looked silly but I gather that's somewhat intended, and I didn't even recognize him as the guy from the first movie so that was still a surprise despite seeing his picture before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oo3IqiuSMo

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Finally finished She-Hulk. The special effects make her look like a cartoon in most of the show.

I feel like a key special effects person working at Marvel must have quit right after Endgame.

It didn't bother me much but I wasn't demanding 100% pure uncut ILM from the delightful comedy MCU show

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I feel like I have some kind of goon blindness but towards CGI. Okay, that Modok posted upthread looks silly, but how do you make a non-silly Modok? But I thought She-hulk looked fine. She's not as unrealistic as Bruce is, so she mostly looked like a green tall lady to me :shrug:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rappaport posted:

I feel like I have some kind of goon blindness but towards CGI. Okay, that Modok posted upthread looks silly, but how do you make a non-silly Modok? But I thought She-hulk looked fine. She's not as unrealistic as Bruce is, so she mostly looked like a green tall lady to me :shrug:

People on the internet expect every single TV show episode to have the same budget as a blockbuster movie, so if something doesn't look perfect it's labeled as bad, poo poo, or the worst thing ever.

She-Hulk looked very good for the vast majority of the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fuckin' A. Hulk doesn't even look good or real in the movies. They're giant green cartoon monsters and it's a TV show anyway. It's fine that it doesn't look great.

If that's enough to ruin the show for you, it's because you don't like the show.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, people constantly talk about how dire the CGI in Marvel stuff is these days and I honestly just don't see it, or it's something that never triggers anything in my brain enough to notice it. I think the one and only instance I had a visceral "yikes" reaction to that stuck with me was Mark Ruffalo's tiny little head in the Hulkbuster in Infinity War.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I went back and watched Jurassic Park (1993), yes its a big budget blockbuster movie. It was released 30 years ago, but the CGI is at the same level as these modern shows.

I feel like I'm watching Mary Poppins, with cartoon birds flying around as the effects. I enjoyed She-Hulk, but Marvel's special effects don't look special anymore. Maybe they never did, and I just notice it more now because they are using CGI more often in the shows/films.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the CGI work for Modox was technically sound, but the art direction itself gave it that goofy or perceived as bad look.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

I feel like I have some kind of goon blindness but towards CGI. Okay, that Modok posted upthread looks silly, but how do you make a non-silly Modok?

I believe multiple people have said (and I agree) that the facemask he wears is genuinely kinda cool/threatening looking before it pops up and it's comedy time. So my answer would be just animate that so the facial features on the mask move.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I went back and watched Jurassic Park (1993), yes its a big budget blockbuster movie. It was released 30 years ago, but the CGI is at the same level as these modern shows.

I feel like I'm watching Mary Poppins, with cartoon birds flying around as the effects. I enjoyed She-Hulk, but Marvel's special effects don't look special anymore. Maybe they never did, and I just notice it more now because they are using CGI more often in the shows/films.

For me special effects that "don't look special" are something to shoot for. When I watch a movie or TV show, especially a super-hero (and or really any sci-fi, horror or fantasy) movie, I want to be able to immerse myself in the world of the story. I want to conspire with the program to temporarily trick my brain into believing that Tatiana Maslany is somehow only mildly attractive but can turn into a 7' 6" green super-strong super-model who gets into fight with a similarly super-strong person played by Jameela Jamil. For the most part She-Hulk managed to pull that off.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone posted:

Tatiana Maslany is somehow only mildly attractive

Already lost me

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I believe multiple people have said (and I agree) that the facemask he wears is genuinely kinda cool/threatening looking before it pops up and it's comedy time. So my answer would be just animate that so the facial features on the mask move.

Well sure, but the character design is basically a huge baby head in a robot costume with teeny tiny legs and arms. I'm actually somewhat dreading what the MCU will do with von DOOM, since his face mask as it is sometimes depicted in the comics is... Weird. Like how would you make the metal parts inside his mouth work on screen?

At least otherwise von DOOM is a dude in a metal armour suit, and that's kind of cool.

Then there's Galactus, who is positively someone's LSD trip from decades ago and he just looks silly. Other than being as big as a sky-scraper.

The comics have a lot of fairly generic-looking muscly bad dudes with a variety of silliness to their costumes, but someone like Terrax is just an ashen grey person for instance.

I liked how they made Thanos look on screen, but there's a whole boat-load of interviews with Brolin where they talk about his ball-sack chin. Silliness is relative I suppose!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Fuckin' A. Hulk doesn't even look good or real in the movies. They're giant green cartoon monsters and it's a TV show anyway. It's fine that it doesn't look great.

If that's enough to ruin the show for you, it's because you don't like the show.

I loved the show, but the She-Hulk models are not animated on the same level, there are some parts where she's just not as expressive as other and with a performance like
Maslany's, that counts for a lot.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Everyone posted:

For me special effects that "don't look special" are something to shoot for. When I watch a movie or TV show, especially a super-hero (and or really any sci-fi, horror or fantasy) movie, I want to be able to immerse myself in the world of the story. I want to conspire with the program to temporarily trick my brain into believing that Tatiana Maslany is somehow only mildly attractive but can turn into a 7' 6" green super-strong super-model who gets into fight with a similarly super-strong person played by Jameela Jamil. For the most part She-Hulk managed to pull that off.

Oh, I meant that special effects that don't look special stand out to me. Good special effects blend into the movie/show.

I think with She-hulk the parts that were really bad was when it was just she-hulk's talking head on screen talking to the audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVV-rIdXiA&t=44s
This is a fan-made video using a video game engine. It shouldn't even be CLOSE to a hollywood production, yet its almost better quality.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oh, I meant that special effects that don't look special stand out to me. Good special effects blend into the movie/show.

I think with She-hulk the parts that were really bad was when it was just she-hulk's talking head on screen talking to the audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVV-rIdXiA&t=44s
This is a fan-made video using a video game engine. It shouldn't even be CLOSE to a hollywood production, yet its almost better quality.

Yes, actually, it should. Video games and vfx have been moving closer and closer together in look and production tools/techniques for over a decade now. Middleware video game engines have been pushing into film and TV for years.

Additionally, what is "technologically possible" is not even in the top 5 of load bearing reasons why any given cg looks the way it does. It mostly comes down to budget, and again, not budget in the sense of "It's Disney, they can buy God!" but budget in the sense of "We think we can make an episode for as little money as possible".

In the context of real-world challenges, technologies, methods, cost of living, and the constraints of time, She-Hulk's effects (which is a streaming-only TV miniseries) are absolutely ASTOUNDING.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
my problem with the She-Hulk effects isn’t that they look “bad” exactly, it’s that the animation is pretty stiff and the physical part of Tatiana Maslany’s performance doesn’t really come through. Especially when she’s just like walking around the office or something. I loved the show overall and it’s not bad enough to ruin anything, but it was definitely distracting sometimes.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I only just scrobbled through the video but it hardly seems like a direct comparison if you never see this person's mouth

For me when watching She-Hulk I would often feel distracted that the mouth movements were off-sync. That, and the focus of the eyes, and the fact that the character didn't seem to have a lot of "weight" / connect with the ground appropriately.

I think it was fine for the show, but it was a big swing to have a fully CG character in a 100% normal world. Rarely escaped the uncanny valley for me.

They could've instead budgeted for 100% CGI perfection or gone the opposite route and stylized the "real" world by having it be an animated show.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
CGI sucks and practical effects are best. She Hulk should have been a puppet.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Marsupial Ape posted:

CGI sucks and practical effects are best. She Hulk should have been a muppet.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

but the CGI is at the same level as these modern shows.

Very large parts are practical not cgi. A lot more than one would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from behind the scenes footage or even directors interviews or commentaries. 90% of the time even the practical effects elements are digitally replaced as well. Even the ones the BTS interviews specifically point out, sometimes.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 4, 2023