Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Finally, @stealthmountain's identity is unmasked

https://mobile.twitter.com/stealthmountain?lang=en

Also, come join me in Boston. Where the only disaster you have to regularly contend with is the people :v:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The look on my coworker's faces when I produced a mountain of documentation after being lectured was priceless this morning. Now they're telling me that things are "too documented" and they need a tldr version.

Essentially they want to have an error message come up and an article to be written for that exact error message. Lol sorry guys maybe read this mountain of poo poo I've written in the last two years after you refused to take initiative and learn it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vargatron posted:

The look on my coworker's faces when I produced a mountain of documentation after being lectured was priceless this morning. Now they're telling me that things are "too documented" and they need a tldr version.

Essentially they want to have an error message come up and an article to be written for that exact error message. Lol sorry guys maybe read this mountain of poo poo I've written in the last two years after you refused to take initiative and learn it.

:toot: questions will be taken at the bar.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's 103 right now, and this is a cool evening.

Meh sun goes down and it "feels" cooler. Anything under 110 is not really a big deal to me anymore and I've only been here 2 years. I'd rather have heat than snow/cold, or tornadoes, or hurricanes. Guess I was meant to live here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can always put on more clothes if it's cold.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheFace posted:

Meh sun goes down and it "feels" cooler. Anything under 110 is not really a big deal to me anymore and I've only been here 2 years. I'd rather have heat than snow/cold, or tornadoes, or hurricanes. Guess I was meant to live here.

Is drought never a concern there? What about dust storms?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

Water conservation is part of the culture, to some degree, and even though it doesn't rain, we have rivers and canals for agriculture. We'd only be in trouble if there was a nationwide drought.
As for dust storms, they're not safe to drive in, but they're gorgeous. Cleanup is a bit of a pain though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

H110Hawk posted:

:toot: questions will be taken at the bar.

Current page count is 175 with 22948 words in the master "Business Systems Documentation" word document.

Also all of the documentation is categorized for ease of use.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Vargatron posted:

Current page count is 175 with 22948 words in the master "Business Systems Documentation" word document.

Also all of the documentation is categorized for ease of use.

You're doing way too drat much

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

big money big clit posted:

A major impetus for me leaving Louisiana for Oregon was a hurricane that knocked out my power for three weeks in August, in the middle of a stretch of 100 degree days.

Kind of a page back but Hi "Power is out in a Louisiana Summer" buddy :hfive:

Yeah, Hurricanes suck a huge amount of rear end but I'm stuck where I am for the next 4-5 years. Might be time to start pounding books and learning so I can get more money so I can move. :sigh:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SeaborneClink posted:

You're doing way too drat much

Ah it was written over 5 years so it's not really that bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Irritated Goat posted:

Kind of a page back but Hi "Power is out in a Louisiana Summer" buddy :hfive:

Yeah, Hurricanes suck a huge amount of rear end but I'm stuck where I am for the next 4-5 years. Might be time to start pounding books and learning so I can get more money so I can move. :sigh:

I decided about a week into that power outage that I was done with that poo poo, and was gone by mid October. It's amazing how quickly you can make things happen when properly motivated, in this case by the experience of pouring sweating nearly non-stop, for weeks.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

big money big clit posted:

I decided about a week into that power outage that I was done with that poo poo, and was gone by mid October. It's amazing how quickly you can make things happen when properly motivated, in this case by the experience of pouring sweating nearly non-stop, for weeks.

I've been here for all but 3 years of my life. It's just kind of something I deal with for now. If I get my way, I'll be joining the Colorado goons cause I miss Co Springs a ton.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maybe I can be Vargatron 2.0, finally landed an interview for a senior sysadmin at a university after months of sending in applications. They want me to come in-person right off the bat, I guess that's maybe a good sign??

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They might have been a victim of their own bureaucracy and need someone quickly as the notice period on their previous employee is running out. Skipping the phone interview doesn't strike me as particularly unusual.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Maybe I can be Vargatron 2.0, finally landed an interview for a senior sysadmin at a university after months of sending in applications. They want me to come in-person right off the bat, I guess that's maybe a good sign??

Someone that wants to take the time to meet you in person means that you are a name on a short list. Right away is generally a good sign on top of that.

I am a biased because I have ever in person interviewed for a place that didn't want to give me an offer or have me come back for further interviews.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A recruiter just contacted me about a job with McAfee.

What does McAfee even do these days? Support home users that had it installed on their computer from Best Buy?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Snort coke and gently caress hookers in exotic locales.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jeoh posted:

Snort coke and gently caress hookers in exotic locales.

Living the dream.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I can always put on more clothes if it's cold.

Don't have to shovel sunshine.

Sickening posted:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Water conservation is part of the culture, to some degree, and even though it doesn't rain, we have rivers and canals for agriculture. We'd only be in trouble if there was a nationwide drought.
As for dust storms, they're not safe to drive in, but they're gorgeous. Cleanup is a bit of a pain though.

This pretty much sums it up. And as for dust storms, I've never been caught in one that I didn't have plenty of warning beforehand. During monsoon/haboob season pretty much every other day in the office you hear everyone's phones blow up with dust storm warnings for a specific area.

Slightly more on topic. I just started my new job with a decent sized company (5000+ employees). I'm a Senior Infrastructure Engineer. This is my second time with a company of this size, and I was just wondering if any of you have any input into ways to deal with the boredom caused by the snails pace IT moves in a company of this size? I know part of the problem here will be that I'm starting at the tail end of the year, and a lot of the projects are winding down, new projects won't be on the board until start of the year. I've so far been able to fill in the time by filling in some documentation gaps they have, but that'll only last so long.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheFace posted:

This pretty much sums it up. And as for dust storms, I've never been caught in one that I didn't have plenty of warning beforehand. During monsoon/haboob season pretty much every other day in the office you hear everyone's phones blow up with dust storm warnings for a specific area.

Slightly more on topic. I just started my new job with a decent sized company (5000+ employees). I'm a Senior Infrastructure Engineer. This is my second time with a company of this size, and I was just wondering if any of you have any input into ways to deal with the boredom caused by the snails pace IT moves in a company of this size? I know part of the problem here will be that I'm starting at the tail end of the year, and a lot of the projects are winding down, new projects won't be on the board until start of the year. I've so far been able to fill in the time by filling in some documentation gaps they have, but that'll only last so long.

Get used to it. poo poo mooooooooves slow. I joined a way bigger org early last year when we were acquired (12K employees) and I pretty much do about 3 hours of work a week. I have several projects on hold due to other departments.

Read books/blogs, setup lab environments to stay up to date on new stuff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheFace posted:

Keeping myself entertained is a skill I have honed for decades. I generally cycle through reading book or watching twitch/youtube in between finding some things work related to keep myself busy with. Working at a high level comes with certain rewards and downtime is just one of the juicier ones. Enjoy it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If you don't have things to do, podcasts/youtube, studying for other stuff, or finding a hobby you can do while at work has worked for me

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

What does McAfee even do these days? Support home users that had it installed on their computer from Best Buy?

Burning money on new racketeering schemes of course: https://securehomeplatform.mcafee.com

Peak invasion by embedding into Cable Modems:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I received an email today from Microsoft about a SAM "assessment" which I believe is just the "good cop" audit that comes before an MS "bad cop" audit. As far as I know we're compliant. No bootleg OS installs, all the MS software I've purchased has been individual license keys or O365 licenses. CALs for each server including Remote Desktop look correct to me.

Does anyone have any feedback on getting a third party MS compliance group to do an audit? I'd rather have someone else verify where we stand instead of dealing with MS's bullshit. Then if they want to do a serious audit I'll already be squared away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I received an email today from Microsoft about a SAM "assessment" which I believe is just the "good cop" audit that comes before an MS "bad cop" audit. As far as I know we're compliant. No bootleg OS installs, all the MS software I've purchased has been individual license keys or O365 licenses. CALs for each server including Remote Desktop look correct to me.

Does anyone have any feedback on getting a third party MS compliance group to do an audit? I'd rather have someone else verify where we stand instead of dealing with MS's bullshit. Then if they want to do a serious audit I'll already be squared away.

We did this last year. Do you have a Microsoft reseller you deal with? Call them and they'll do the audit on Microsofts behalf. gently caress dealing with MS directly.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Where do you get your licensing? Going through a VAR or do you go through one of the major distributors? Whoever it is may have services available to audit your licensing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

They have an enterprise product suite just like every other endpoint security vendor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

TheFace posted:

Where do you get your licensing? Going through a VAR or do you go through one of the major distributors? Whoever it is may have services available to audit your licensing.

I've done all the server and O365 licensing through an MSP so I'm going to start with them. I've done all the desktop apps the last couple of years myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the legacy Office 2010 installs are bogus or on a volume license that wasn't maintained after their last I.T. person departed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Take money from my company :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

They are doing them much more often for SMBs. They have been more like sales calls for me. I'll put in some effort, they won't review it at all, then they'll get on the phone and say hey we have this new licensing scheme, etc. I've gotten 2 in the past 3 years and that does not seem abnormal from their new approach. It does not mean at all that there is a MS "bad cop" audit coming. That's the old school Microsoft approach.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

They are doing them much more often for SMBs. They have been more like sales calls for me. I'll put in some effort, they won't review it at all, then they'll get on the phone and say hey we have this new licensing scheme, etc. I've gotten 2 in the past 3 years and that does not seem abnormal from their new approach. It does not mean at all that there is a MS "bad cop" audit coming. That's the old school Microsoft approach.

This is correct. We just did one a few weeks back

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I just told them I wasn't interested. We'll see how that goes but at least according to these guys it's not a big deal:

(trigger warning - spiceworks)
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/911514-microsoft-sam-audit-from-international-vendor

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just ignore the email, you're under no obligation to actually do it, it's completely voluntary.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is this where I finally get to Stick It To The Man?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Dick Trauma posted:

Is this where I finally get to Stick It To The Man?

If by man, you mean Bill in 6mo when he's crushed by the tedium and pettiness of performing the actual licensing audit, while you feast on toasted kale chips and a freshly pressed wheatgrass with lemon coldpress in your new pod, then yes! :yotj:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SeaborneClink posted:

... toasted kale chips and a freshly pressed wheatgrass with lemon coldpress...

I thought we were rooting for DT to escape from hell.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought we were rooting for DT to escape from hell.

The Sickening seems content. :colbert: Wonder if he's gotten his first shipment of Beard & Moustache wax yet?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

They might have been a victim of their own bureaucracy and need someone quickly as the notice period on their previous employee is running out. Skipping the phone interview doesn't strike me as particularly unusual.

It's only happened to me once, and hoo boy do I wish they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We shut down our Boca Raton office last night in preparation for Irma. Company sent everyone home until at least next Tuesday so they can take care of their families and evacuate if needed. The office should be fine, but I hope my co-workers are going to be OK.