Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TotalLossBrain posted:

Here's some proper schadenfreude. Though I guess she did just make an honest mistake.

The headline is a bit misleading, the convention decided to raise funds for a non profit organisation and asked them if they'd like to send a representative to speak about their work and when she turned up she went "Huh, they're dressed in animal costumes." That's about all the schadenfreude there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Everyone will forget soon,
The fourth man on the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipEduVIn_JY

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The headline is a bit misleading, the convention decided to raise funds for a non profit organisation and asked them if they'd like to send a representative to speak about their work and when she turned up she went "Huh, they're dressed in animal costumes." That's about all the schadenfreude there.

I think there is additional schadenfreude in you reading the full article about a furry convention.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mikl posted:

Everyone will forget soon,
The fourth man on the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipEduVIn_JY

Alan Bean was the best Apollo astronaut and I'll hear no different about it.
Some Al Bean schadenfreude: Apollo 11 had carried only a monochrome TV camera with it. Al's Apollo 12 mission carried a full color camera and it was a big deal - live color TV from the surface of the moon! But poor Al didn't pay attention when setting it up and pointed it directly at the sun. The sensor fried before it could send back any imagery to earth. LOL
Al was also very tired of his rookie status, so on a surface EVA he threw his rookie insignia as far away as he could. On the surface of the moon.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some Al Bean schadenfreude: Apollo 11 had carried only a monochrome TV camera with it. Al's Apollo 12 mission carried a full color camera and it was a big deal - live color TV from the surface of the moon! But poor Al didn't pay attention when setting it up and pointed it directly at the sun. The sensor fried before it could send back any imagery to earth. LOL
Al was also very tired of his rookie status, so on a surface EVA he threw his rookie insignia as far away as he could. On the surface of the moon.

:hfive:

Schadenfreude - Al Bean is a fan of throwing things:

quote:

Bean had planned on using a self-timer for his Hasselblad camera in order to take a photograph of both himself and Pete Conrad while on the lunar surface near the Surveyor III spacecraft. Bean was hoping not only to record a wonderful photo, but also to confuse the scientists back home on how the photo could have been taken. However, neither he nor Conrad could locate the timer in the tool carrier tote bag while at the Surveyor III site and thus lost the opportunity. Bean did not locate the self-timer until the very end of the EVA when it was too late to use - at which point Bean threw it as hard as he could.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Here's some proper schadenfreude. Though I guess she did just make an honest mistake.

A bunch of dudes in fursuits walking down the street is probably the greatest amount of sweat per cubic foot ever to exist. :barf:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

RyokoTK posted:

A bunch of dudes in fursuits walking down the street is probably the greatest amount of sweat per cubic foot ever to exist. :barf:

Thats probably not all sweat.......

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://gfycat.com/FatalCorruptDunlin

Flint Ironstag posted:

I got an instant justice type of video for a bad driver that we share the roads with yesterday morning. Speeding in a school zone in Texas? Not a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYdMTBlselA

No sound on my dash cam because nobody needs to hear my crappy radio choices, or me yelling at my fellow motorists. But I was cheering when the lights turned on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wonder if the dude ever figured out he could crawl in through the trunk. Especially since that looks like a hatchback, but even sedans usually have a fold-down back seat nowadays.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I feel like people used to get really mad when brands tried to use memes to advertise but now folks eat that poo poo up.

Yeah, because they were terrible at it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arby's has had their social media people doing nerd and video game references non-stop since September 2015, but they've succeeded and practically doubled their shares on Facebook (meaning double the attention they normally get) by doing a bunch of really creative and elaborate sculptures with food packaging.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
wow double the facebook shares! amazing!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Hell, they don't even have to be particularly creative. Just pop something like this out on the right day and you'll have a fandom eating out of your hand: https://twitter.com/arbys/status/776446255757037568?lang=en

(For those not in the know, Undertale was released 15 Sep 2015)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gently caress yea engaging with brands

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powered Descent posted:

Wonder if the dude ever figured out he could crawl in through the trunk. Especially since that looks like a hatchback, but even sedans usually have a fold-down back seat nowadays.

Years and years ago, I was out with friends but I wasn't really feeling it so I wanted to leave. One of my peeps said I could sleep in his car & I was drunk enough to figure whatever. So I get to his car and realize I didn't have the keys, called him up & he was like "just use any old key. It's a piece of poo poo and the lock's busted anyway". I put in my dorm door key & promptly break it in the lock.

That was the driver's side door. The passenger side door was busted from some earlier accident, so in the end we had to get in the trunk & kick the backseats forward to crawl over them. What a lovely car.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So would people rather these brands act like out of touch old people or stiff PR weirdos like they had been for the last seventy years? Because if they're clearly never going to shut up and vanish from Earth, at least they can be somewhat amusing or relevant in the process.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Railing Kill posted:

So would people rather these brands act like out of touch old people or stiff PR weirdos like they had been for the last seventy years? Because if they're clearly never going to shut up and vanish from Earth, at least they can be somewhat amusing or relevant in the process.

I've blocked all the ads I can, so I guess I would rather other people don't share whatever the brands are doing with me

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Powaqoatse posted:

I've blocked all the ads I can, so I guess I would rather other people don't share whatever the brands are doing with me

Aww, c'mon. You have to admit all of the shade Wendy's throws on twitter is pretty fun.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think it's funny even if it is a major corporation allowing some teen to fight with another one online, while wearing the company handle.

Like if they did real life slap fights while wearing Wendy's and Hardee's shirts, I'd still think it was a wonderful thing to witness.

They hired really good teens to do this poo poo, and their gamble worked. Play to your crowd, no one is actually brand loyal enough to give a poo poo about any company's politics, exemplified by the continued existence of Chick-fil-A or Hobby Lobby.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
In north Oklahoma City there was a dude that used to spin the $5 HOT N READY sign outside of Little Caesars very vigorously. He had long hair, big headphones, and would headbang and rock out spinning and throwing that sign for hours at a time. He even wore grooves through the grass and deep into the dirt in the spot he stood doing it.

I never bought a pizza there, but I'd always honk and wave and it made me smile to see someone having fun with their job.
I feel the same way looking at the Dark Souls dude in papercraft bursting from a box of fries. Someone probably had fun being creative and making that and I like that. Points for enthusiasm.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Al Bean is cool. Credit to Dave Foley's portrayal in From Earth to the Moon for teaching me how cool Al Bean is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

NeurosisHead posted:

Aww, c'mon. You have to admit all of the shade Wendy's throws on twitter is pretty fun.
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/786250332011540480

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/787004432219340804

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They once made a scale model of Master Chief's helmet from cut-up sandwich boxes. It's all made of interlocking parts carefully pieced together.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I'm the BEEF

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

lmao

I love things like this.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

thats a good way to gently caress up your back

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mikl posted:

lmao

I love things like this.

I've never been much of a Sonic fan, but I think that's pretty cute too.

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
These look pretty excellent, especially when the alternative is tone def adds like that Pepsi-Black Lives one. I don't think these are so much marketing attempts as they are PR strategies. They seem less like huge soulless corporations when their public face says poo poo like this.

https://twitter.com/DennysDiner/status/849712823513034753

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/foodnetwerk/status/188351893200846848

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rasmus posted:

These look pretty excellent, especially when the alternative is tone def adds like that Pepsi-Black Lives one. I don't think these are so much marketing attempts as they are PR strategies. They seem less like huge soulless corporations when their public face says poo poo like this.

https://twitter.com/DennysDiner/status/849712823513034753
Yeah, I'm not sure it many people it convinces to run out and buy a Moons Over My-Hammy, but as a cheap way to make people not think of Dennys as a restaurant of last resort (i.e. where you go when nothing else is open or when there aren't other options) it's probably pretty effective.

It's not schadenfreude but it is (I think) fremdschamen. I just saw that the Pepsi Twitter account has 3 million followers and is full of the most banal, overproduced advertising possible. Seriously, I'm vicariously embarrassed for any non-corporate, non-bot accounts who would follow them. What's the point?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now we know what Sean Spicer does on his days off.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

@lanadelcunt owns

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLBuedP9rQA

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Money continues not to be able to buy sense.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rasmus posted:

JB Hi-Fi does this kind of marketing well. They just give their staff sharpies and cardboard and let them have free reign to do all the in-store signage and advertising.

Slugnoid has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Apr 15, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The guy behind Vet Ranch (a youtube channel that frequently shows off graphic veterinary procedures) and Demolition Ranch (that shows off a dude shooting the poo poo out of things) is upset that his videos can't be seen if you turn on Restricted Mode, a switch that parents can use to... you know, prevent your kids from seeing the inside of an animal's body being worked on, or someone shooting the poo poo out of stuff with guns.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Apr 15, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check out a dude crashing his 350k usd vintage car like an idiot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uryBzKDkpIc

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

do you like have a poster of the full moon in your room or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The guy behind Vet Ranch (a youtube channel that frequently shows off graphic veterinary procedures) and Demolition Ranch (that shows off a dude shooting the poo poo out of things) is upset that his videos can't be seen if you turn on Restricted Mode, a switch that parents can use to... you know, prevent your kids from seeing the inside of an animal's body being worked on, or someone shooting the poo poo out of stuff with guns.

God forbid people learn what the inside of an animal looks like or *gasp* see a gun! Our children must be sheltered from such disgusting and uncivilized things :rolleyes:

Of course we should hide lgbt people too. Don't wanna have Timmy asking awkward questions!