Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

maybe there are good apps for it nowadays but based on my various attempts to use non-music computer hardware to emulate a piano keyboard... just don't. Even the cheapest bad midi keyboard will be better than that, assuming you can get it set up in a low-latency configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sure. I think I'll play around with Logic Remote and GarageBand for a bit, but something like this would be better if I wanted to really get into keyboard I'm guessing. For now, I think I'll be happy being able to think about notes in a different way than on the guitar (similar to Gnumonic).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The thing with a piano is that it is not button pressing, just as a guitar is not only plinking a string. Would you consider an app on a phone a good way to learn how to play guitar?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I totally agree. For now, I’m curious more about making cool sounds with synths and nothing all that serious. I’ll do a little research in the meantime on what keyboard I might want to pick up.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Using apps and computer programs without a real keyboard is fine for some things, like fiddling with different synth sounds, learning some bits of music theory (such as chords and harmony), and learning how to use sequencing software. They will be pretty much useless for learning the mechanical and artistic techniques of actually playing a keyboard instrument though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wanting to get into the habit of posting recordings, but since it makes me nervous as hell I never seem to be able to get a decent recording. Realizing this isn't gonna get any better, I figure I'll just post because the thread could use more content regardless.

So enjoy, complete with mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n76tWh8qww

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

I've been wanting to get into the habit of posting recordings, but since it makes me nervous as hell I never seem to be able to get a decent recording. Realizing this isn't gonna get any better, I figure I'll just post because the thread could use more content regardless.

It's weird in a way how making recordings is nerve-wracking, as you know there's nothing to stop you having another go, as opposed to playing live in front of people, but hey, I've found them to be tricky too.

Enjoyed the playing, anyway, though I was a bit distracted wondering what the panel on the wall is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's weird in a way how making recordings is nerve-wracking, as you know there's nothing to stop you having another go, as opposed to playing live in front of people, but hey, I've found them to be tricky too.

Enjoyed the playing, anyway, though I was a bit distracted wondering what the panel on the wall is.

I think it's a fuse box? Dunno, it's a rented practice room.

You should post some recordings too, I've set the bar pretty low so nobody should be shy.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

I think it's a fuse box? Dunno, it's a rented practice room.

You should post some recordings too, I've set the bar pretty low so nobody should be shy.

Yeah I probably should. Piano needs a tune but might look into it after that.

Even if you don't share the videos, recording yourself is pretty beneficial from a self-improvement perspective.

Wish I'd recorded my pieces from my last exam to have a record of how well I was performing them at the time - some of them have deteriorated a bit now, though I have been slowly working on revitalising some of them, particularly as some of the technique I'm working on now comes up a fair bit in them.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I started playing piano 2 months ago using Simplypiano app on my Ipad.

Is it the best way to learn the piano? Probably not. But I'm feeling more confident pressing keys every day and I'm enjoying myself so I wouldn't consider it time wasted.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hell yeah :) music is music y’all. Do it however works for you

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol, recording is the absolute worst. Trucking along fine, and then I have like a seizure or something. I've got at least another week on this to smooth some bumps and get it up to tempo, but for the sake of :justpost:ing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HL_W2_1gp0

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Almost made it through clean. Hopefully teacher will pass it and we can move on to the next, getting sick of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nvZlxY4tQ

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So in addition to my adventures with Herr Burgmuller I'm working on new repertoire, but more importantly I'm working on unfucking my previously "learned" repertoire. So this is a Beethoven rondo that my teacher sprung on me as kind of a moon shot piece, and while I've memorized the notes and can sort of bang my way through it I had never learned to count it properly or gotten it stable. So I'm in the process of doing that and it's a long slog, but I am making progress with it. I make it through about three and a half minutes here before I crash and burn on the triplet 16th chromatic run, but even that would have been almost unimaginable a couple months ago. So here's where it's at now, I'm looking forward to getting the whole thing sorted eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6duUStfoQ

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I've been the guy that can play Clocks for years now and just started going through Alfred's Adult Course books over the last two months. Really enjoying it, and I think my overall technique is good. However, I'm still terrible at keeping my count right by eye. Any suggestions?

Also, how long before I can do Chopin's etudes?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

cebrail posted:

Oh wow, that's great. I found a downloadable audio version here if anyone else is interested.
I'm playing the Pathétique right now and I agree with everything he had to say about it. I still can't figure out how to pedal in both the Grave and the Allegro molto of the first movement though.

And thanks for the suggestion Rabbit Hill!

Ooh, thank you! I listened to a bunch of that series at work last year and it was great but annoying because with YouTube videos I can't just turn the phone off and have the audio going on it's own. This rules.

kidkissinger posted:

I've been the guy that can play Clocks for years now and just started going through Alfred's Adult Course books over the last two months. Really enjoying it, and I think my overall technique is good. However, I'm still terrible at keeping my count right by eye. Any suggestions?

Also, how long before I can do Chopin's etudes?

I've been taking lessons almost 30 years and majored in music in college and I still struggle with those bastards.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't learn some of them though! They do vary in difficulty and I personally think even playing not up to speed there's plenty to learn.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

So in addition to my adventures with Herr Burgmuller I'm working on new repertoire, but more importantly I'm working on unfucking my previously "learned" repertoire. So this is a Beethoven rondo that my teacher sprung on me as kind of a moon shot piece, and while I've memorized the notes and can sort of bang my way through it I had never learned to count it properly or gotten it stable. So I'm in the process of doing that and it's a long slog, but I am making progress with it. I make it through about three and a half minutes here before I crash and burn on the triplet 16th chromatic run, but even that would have been almost unimaginable a couple months ago. So here's where it's at now, I'm looking forward to getting the whole thing sorted eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6duUStfoQ

What are you using to record yourself?

Yeah the tempo is a bit uneven but that can obviously come with slow practice, likewise the section that tripped you up at the end.

You sing when you play - reminds me of Glenn Gould/Keith Jarrett

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

However, I'm still terrible at keeping my count right by eye.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean when you're sight-reading, you have trouble parsing out the beat-counts for the values of the notes?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

What are you using to record yourself?

Yeah the tempo is a bit uneven but that can obviously come with slow practice, likewise the section that tripped you up at the end.

You sing when you play - reminds me of Glenn Gould/Keith Jarrett

Just using an iPhone to record.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rabbit Hill posted:

What do you mean by this? Do you mean when you're sight-reading, you have trouble parsing out the beat-counts for the values of the notes?

Yeah, exactly this

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There are two things I remember for learning tricky rhythms. One is to use a metronome. Another is to mark up the score: write down beat numbers for the notes that give you trouble, or draw vertical lines between notes on each clef to remind yourself things like "these two notes are played together", "this left-hand part comes after that right-hand note", and so on.

Also don't get discouraged if you think you're "bad" at sight reading. It is a skill that can be improved, and it's not required that you be amazing at it in order to be a great musician.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's also walking through the measure as slowly as you need to, counting out "one-e-and-a two-e-and-a" (for sixteenth notes) or whatever level of breakdown you need to match the duration of the notes. Sometimes composers suffer brain damage and start pairing triplets with sixteenth notes or whatever and there's very little markup you can do that will help you make sense of that kind of nonsense.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Something that's been helping me is to sit with a score and read the rhythm out loud in time before I try it on the piano.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's also walking through the measure as slowly as you need to, counting out "one-e-and-a two-e-and-a" (for sixteenth notes) or whatever level of breakdown you need to match the duration of the notes. Sometimes composers suffer brain damage and start pairing triplets with sixteenth notes or whatever and there's very little markup you can do that will help you make sense of that kind of nonsense.

Yeah, this.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sometimes composers suffer brain damage and start pairing triplets with sixteenth notes or whatever and there's very little markup you can do that will help you make sense of that kind of nonsense.

learning how to play three-against-four notes like this is pretty rewarding. but it still never feels completely "right" to me, even when i know that i have played it correctly

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Learning to read rhythms is a bunch like learning to read a language so yeah phonics that poo poo up by learning to dissect and rebuild a rhythm, but also learn to identify common rhythm patterns by sight because in the end you want to be able to read rhythms in "words" not "letters," if that makes sense.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Thanks everyone, that's app very helpful!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
When doing sight-reading (*), my teachers always told me that rhythm is more important than hitting the right notes. It's better to occasionally hit the wrong one or just skip notes or chords or even entire measures if that makes it easier to keep the rhythm and get back on track for the next part. Easier said than done, obviously.

*: I assume that sight-reading here means playing something on sight that you've never seen before.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

On that note (:haw:), yesterday I started sketching out an example of counting rhythms and got too lazy to post it, but now it's a good example of what you describe!

Take this passage from Schubert's Ballade (D. 134):

The time signature is 6/8, so intuitively, I would count the rhythm in intervals of 8th notes as I sight-read. This works fine until that last measure throws you a dotted-8th+16th+8th combo:

So for this measure, I would have to break out my counting into smaller intervals of 16th-notes in order to get it right:

Once I'd played through the piece a couple of times slowly, then I'd get the feel for the rhythm and could count the tricky measure in the usual 8th-note pattern -- "1 2 3 4 5-and-6"

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

There's tons of this in Chopin - runs of e.g. 17 notes over triplets or quavers or whatever. I just find where the treble and bass notes actually coincide during these passages and make sure they do, then the rest just sort of comes together with slow practice. It helps to be fundamentally comfortable with basic polyrhythms, i.e. 3s against 4s, first, of course.

uXs posted:

When doing sight-reading (*), my teachers always told me that rhythm is more important than hitting the right notes. It's better to occasionally hit the wrong one or just skip notes or chords or even entire measures if that makes it easier to keep the rhythm and get back on track for the next part. Easier said than done, obviously.

*: I assume that sight-reading here means playing something on sight that you've never seen before.

Definitely this. In an exam sight-reading situation you will be more heavily penalised for erratic tempo than getting notes wrong. Also it just makes sense if you're playing with other people. Wrong notes are one thing, but varying tempo just throws everyone out of whack.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
So I recorded both the pieces I'm working on after getting in from work today. First stab of the day at each, though I did warm up a bit with some technical work. Not happy with either performance - both are a bit slow (probably because I knew I was recording and wanted to avoid mistakes) and have other issues, but who cares.

1st movement of Beethoven Sonata no. 15 "Pastorale"

Widmung - Schumann-Liszt

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

So I recorded both the pieces I'm working on after getting in from work today. First stab of the day at each, though I did warm up a bit with some technical work. Not happy with either performance - both are a bit slow (probably because I knew I was recording and wanted to avoid mistakes) and have other issues, but who cares.

Widmung - Schumann-Liszt

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to both of those.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stangg posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to both of those.

That's very kind of you to say!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Widmung - Schumann-Liszt

Hell yeah.

I loved the quick releases on the lyrical bits of the Beethoven, made it almost sound like you were playing gospel. Also kudos on managing to keep the melody clearly voiced in the Schumann, I bet that took a nice bit of work.

That's a fantastic sounding piano, is it yours?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

Hell yeah.

I loved the quick releases on the lyrical bits of the Beethoven, made it almost sound like you were playing gospel. Also kudos on managing to keep the melody clearly voiced in the Schumann, I bet that took a nice bit of work.

That's a fantastic sounding piano, is it yours?

Thanks for the comments Stringent, particularly on the melody in Widmung. It's tricky as not only does the melody switch across the hands quite a few times, but there are sections, particularly towards the beginning, where you're playing melody and accompaniment in the same hand and having to distinguish them. I have been working on exercises to improve these things, so it's really cool you noticed. I still have some work to do on it though!

Yes, the piano is mine.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'll have to record/post some stuff. I played extensively and competitively until I graduated high school, then tapered off through college, and then maybe once or twice a year having access to a piano for the next sixteen years or so. But now, new house, new piano:

It's a baby grand, some perspective issues with the shot to make the cats look huge and piano look tiny.

But it was weird how much muscle memory I had for pieces I hadn't played in decades. I'm working on El Choclo right now for my mother-in-law, will post here once I record it. My technique has likely gone to poo poo though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh man, that must sound huge in that room. Looking forward to some recordings.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Stringent posted:

I've been learning Burgmuller's 109 - Confidence, and it's funny to me how he seems to write compositions at a perfect "learning classical piano" difficulty. They're just challenging enough to be fun to learn without being disheartening.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Skyl3lazer posted:

I've been learning Burgmuller's 109 - Confidence, and it's funny to me how he seems to write compositions at a perfect "learning classical piano" difficulty. They're just challenging enough to be fun to learn without being disheartening.

I just downloaded all the music for his 109 and it looks great. I'm just finishing my intro book on piano and these look very doable. thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I tried searching but didn't get anywhere with it. Is there a generally recommended keyboard practice amp? 100$ budget or so but can flex if needed.