Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Xyven posted:

Not updating java is a TERRIBLE idea. You're basically begging to get viruses shoved into your computer from any of the dozens of exploits they are constantly patching out.

As for why KGS needs a security exception, it's because their programmer is terrible. For example, their solution to sounds breaking because the library they used was taken out of newer java distributions is "just don't update java." It is surprising that they ever got the program to work in the first place.

When will Kgs come out with HTML5? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

bollig posted:

Hey I'm getting back into Go after a short hiatus of doing precious little. I've found a local group, but in the interest of losing as much as possible as quickly as possible, I was going to play on KGS. But I'm getting a bunch of java security exceptions. It's a minor pain to just put them on the loving exceptions list, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about.

Once I get up and running, should I just be looking for people to play 9x9 against? Or what? I've done some GNUGo games, but I really don't think I could handle a full board yet. I guess my question is, at what point to I use a full board?

Also sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm on page 62 something out of 80 and I want to get playin. Thanks!

Play a whole bunch of 9x9, then try 13x13, then 19x19. That might help... There is no answer to the question though. The main thing is you do not lose anything from playing. Even if you lose 50 games of 19x19 you are getting stronger. So don't hesitate, just play. Keep playing. Go has a scary barrier to entry that can only be conquered by playing. It gets easier once you establish a rank (which is achieved by playing). Play go

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
9x9 is a terrible and boring game. Once you understand how stones are captured and territory is taken you should move to 19x19.

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 9, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

9x9 teaches you how to play in the corners, because the board is all corner. 13x13 teaches you about playing on the edges and making frameworks, but doesn't have much room for prolonged fighting. 19x19 adds the centre and large-scale fighting.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Okay well i tried to take on a bot but now it left the room (KGS). Can I leave the room now without being penalized.

I guess I"m that intimidating.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

bollig posted:

Okay well i tried to take on a bot but now it left the room (KGS). Can I leave the room now without being penalized.

Yes, you can leave. If you leave too often your old escapes get turned into losses, but you need a lot for this. And Free games don't count anyways.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

bollig posted:

I want to play you.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Can anyone recommend any good youtube videos for learning? I haven't played in about a year or two (I was never very good anyways), and most of the books that I've looked at are well beyond my level.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

discoukulele posted:

Can anyone recommend any good youtube videos for learning? I haven't played in about a year or two (I was never very good anyways), and most of the books that I've looked at are well beyond my level.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dwyrin
https://www.youtube.com/user/nicksibicky
https://www.youtube.com/user/Masterman535
https://www.youtube.com/user/tokinonagare27

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

discoukulele posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWM4RH1F_Y

r9 is bettar

Prodigious fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 12, 2014

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I've always wanted to be taught by an unmedicated schizophrenic.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Another game with oiseaux, with my commentary.

He made some early mistakes, I punished him, then I got greedy and careless as usual, gave him a chance to get back in it and make it close, but then he butchered the endgame and I won by a much larger margin than I really should have. That is, of course, the downside to having a fighting-oriented style... so many games are decided long before the endgame that you don't get a lot of practice with it. Part of oiseaux's problem was that he kept trying to look for middlegame-like moves when it was time to start the endgame. When you do that, it often ends up that you pretty much just played on dame.

http://eidogo.com/#vs0k8tSR

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Tetris Go — Tetris shapes are illegal. (I.e. you may not create a contiguous string of exactly four stones.)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

Tetris Go — Tetris shapes are illegal. (I.e. you may not create a contiguous string of exactly four stones.)

I've heard of someone trying a "Tetris Go" where you play four stones a turn but they have to be played in Tetris shapes. Sounds like a dumb game because it makes life trivial, in that all you need is a single eye of any number of points that isn't a multiple of 4. Better would be to allow either Tetris groups or single stones to be played, the latter for purposes of killing/living mostly.

This version sounds kind of interesting, but I think it'd play just like regular Go most of the time, except that you'd just have to avoid specific shapes. It'd mostly impact joseki, e.g. you couldn't play the usual hane-and-connect in the 4-4 low approach, one space low pincer, corner invasion joseki. You'd have to descend in the corner or push once more or something. You'd also have to avoid making a tiger's mouth (hanging connection) unless one of the stones was also connected to something else, otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to connect to an atari or peep, which would be pretty disastrous.

EDIT: Actually, no, there are a lot of implications now that I think about it more. Knight's moves would be super dangerous - instead of pushing and cutting, the opponent could push and peep and then you couldn't connect.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Has anyone ever played Go on QQWeiqi? My Chinese isn't very good, so I'm a little confused. Ever time I play a game with someone, the game will end after several moves. I have a feeling that I'm being kicked because I suck! But I'm not sure...

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Has anyone ever played Go on QQWeiqi? My Chinese isn't very good, so I'm a little confused. Ever time I play a game with someone, the game will end after several moves. I have a feeling that I'm being kicked because I suck! But I'm not sure...

Just how badly do you suck, and are you playing against rated opponents? If you're a total beginner and don't understand either the rating system or basic opening theory, it's possible that you're challenging high-ranked people and then playing moves that make it obvious you're a clueless noob, so they're just resigning rather than wasting their time.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an iOS Go client that will let me play go against my other iOS friends?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I've been trying to learn this for a couple days, I lost a few games on KGS and one player was nice enough to explain some of the places I screwed up. Not sure when or how to start playing rated games, I seem to have achieved the lowest rating possible after challenging a bot on some sort of blitz settings.

I don't entirely understand the logic behind the time system either. It seems like there's a main clock, and then once that ticks down it moves to a shorter secondary clock? It seems counter-intuitive to me, are go games supposed to speed up as you approach the end of the game?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I've been trying to learn this for a couple days, I lost a few games on KGS and one player was nice enough to explain some of the places I screwed up. Not sure when or how to start playing rated games, I seem to have achieved the lowest rating possible after challenging a bot on some sort of blitz settings.

I don't entirely understand the logic behind the time system either. It seems like there's a main clock, and then once that ticks down it moves to a shorter secondary clock? It seems counter-intuitive to me, are go games supposed to speed up as you approach the end of the game?
No, it is an overtime system.
If you run out of time you still get a few seconds per move instead of losing immediately.
You can also imagine that your time remaining gets rounded up to 30 seconds if it is below that.

Well, Go games do speed up at the endgame but not because of the time system.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The thing about Go is that it doesn't have a well-defined endpoint like chess, so absolute time settings don't work. If you play someone on absolute time then if you're winning at the de facto end of the game, when both players should pass, they will continue to play nonsense moves in the hope of running your clock down. If you've got less time on your clock than about 2-3 seconds times the number of empty points on the board (which can be a lot), then this undesirable strategy has a high chance of working.

So Go basically always uses an open-ended time system of some sort. The one you're probably describing is byo-yomi. The common systems are:

Byo-Yomi: Once a player's main time runs out, they're given a fixed amount of time for each move. Often, they additionally have some number (such as 5) extra periods to use at their discretion. If the byo-yomi is "0:30 (5)" for instance, you have 30 seconds per move, plus five additional blocks of 30 seconds to use as needed. If you let your 30 second timer run down, you're now at "0:30 (4)" for the rest of the game. If you let it run down again, you're at 0:30 (3). If you get down to "0:30 (0)" then you really do have to make all subsequent moves in the 30 seconds. If you let your byo-yomi timer run down to 0:00 while you have 0 periods left, you lose the game. There isn't that much to recommend byo-yomi except that it's traditional in China, Korea and Japan, so it's still the standard for top-level tournaments.

Canadian Overtime: Similar to byo-yomi, except you have no bonus periods and your period is for N moves, rather than one move at a time. For instance, you might have 5 minutes for 20 stones. This ensures a faster pace of play overall, yet allows you to take lots of time for a tough move as long as you play quickly on the easy ones. The greater the number of stones per period, the more flexibility you have in terms of how to spend your time, but by the same token, the more likely it is for inexperienced players to put themselves in terrible time pressure by taking too long on the first moves of the period.

Progressive Canadian Overtime: Same as Canadian overtime, except that "N" increases every time you play the required moves to get a new period. So when you first go into overtime, you might have 10 minutes for 20 stones. After playing those 20 moves, you now have 10 minutes for 30 stones. If the game's still going on after that, you have 10 minutes for 40 stones, and so on. This is often used in live tournaments to make sure that each round finishes up in time for the next one. Without progressive overtime, there's a danger that someone thinks a lot in the opening and lets themselves get into overtime in the middlegame, which can lead to very long games. Progressive overtime discourages players from allowing themselves to get into overtime with too many moves left to play.

Fischer Time: Not strictly speaking an overtime system, Fischer time uses a single timer for each player that begins at a fairly low value (like 5 minutes) but is incremented by some amount (say, 10 seconds) every time the player moves. Like Canadian overtime, the idea is to impose an overall pace on the game without rushing any single move. It's a good system but requires special digital clocks to implement in a live situation, whereas Canadian Overtime is easy to do with either a digital or an old-fashioned mechanical chess clock.

xopods fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 25, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Well, Go games do speed up at the endgame but not because of the time system.

You mean where you should be counting the values of every move and trying to find some good tesuji? :sun:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

You mean where you should be counting the values of every move and trying to find some good tesuji? :sun:
I have been told a few times that you should use most of your time during the late opening/early middlegame. And that if you are not in Byo-yomi during the endgame you played to fast.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

a Checkers expert posted:

Since [Checkers] is solved, but no human can truly hold the solution in memory, top level play consists of intentional mistakes baiting faulty solutions—playing objectively worse to create distance from the most explored paths of the solution tree. It's basically a series of dares: "I bet you don't know the solution to THIS move!"
makes you think

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

makes you think

This is why Monte Carlo tree search is such a powerful tool for AI. If you can't solve a game outright, simply getting to a position where the vast majority of paths lead to a win is sufficient. It may be that in a given position Black wins under perfect play, but if it's a delicate situation where he has to pick the right move out of ten plausible options several times in a row, with a single mistake spelling defeat, then White will win almost always in practice. This is also why we "shake" or try to make things complicated when we're behind, even if we feel that objectively the moves are not the best: if you can't see yourself winning if the play is even from that point on, then the only thing to do is to try to maximize your opponent's odds of making an error.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

I have been told a few times that you should use most of your time during the late opening/early middlegame. And that if you are not in Byo-yomi during the endgame you played to fast.

This is true. You can potentially spend a lot of time on endgame moves, but very often the difference between pretty good and perfect will be a fraction of a point. It's not worth saving time to squeeze out an extra point or two in endgame through careful counting if it means giving up five points (or fifty) due to fighting mistakes in the middlegame.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

This is true. You can potentially spend a lot of time on endgame moves, but very often the difference between pretty good and perfect will be a fraction of a point. It's not worth saving time to squeeze out an extra point or two in endgame through careful counting if it means giving up five points (or fifty) due to fighting mistakes in the middlegame.

But if the game is within 5 points in the endgame then....:shrug:

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
This topic came up when I was at EGC, and one pro said that when he plays against amateur players with handicap, if he gets into endgame with only 20-30 points deficit, the game was as good as won. Each time you don't play the biggest move, you're losing points and there are many, many moves in endgame.

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 26, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Of course you can make up a lot of points in the endgame when there's a skill differential, same as any other point in the game. The point I'm making is that in the majority of cases, for a given player, the gain made by spending the time to choose between two moves than seem similarly desirable is typically going to be on the order of a point, whereas in a middlegame fight, the difference between the best and second-best moves is very often going to be several points and sometimes dozens of points. Yeah, if the game is within 5 points going into endgame and you've got more time on your clock, it can make a difference, but it's really not worth rushing yourself in the swingiest part of the game to save time for calculations at the end, as it may very likely not even be close if you don't take time to read things properly during the fighting.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

This is probably why I found the system confusing. I'm not good at quickly reading obvious things on the board near the end and early in the game I don't know enough to make more than a vague guess until pieces start getting placed next to each other.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

This is probably why I found the system confusing. I'm not good at quickly reading obvious things on the board near the end and early in the game I don't know enough to make more than a vague guess until pieces start getting placed next to each other.

That's normal! The more you play (read: lose) the more quickly things will start falling into place. And the exciting thing is that the stronger you get, the more fun the game gets. There are lots of players on KGS who will review games or play teaching games with you, and there are several in this thread, too.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

asylum years posted:

And the exciting thing is that the stronger you get, the more fun the game gets.

this is so true, im only 10k and already the game is like ten times more fun than when i started. This alone is motivation to keep learning.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

In general, if you are weaker than mid-SDK, all your problems can be fixed by playing games of Go

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hi newbies check out my guide: Xom's guide for newbies

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

For total beginners, there basically is no endgame. The endgame is defined as the point at which there are no more weak groups or invasion points and all that remains is to settle the exact boundaries of the territories. In a game between beginners, major weaknesses continue to be discovered right up until the point at which both players pass.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Lee Sedol wins historic jubango against Gu Li!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ITGO: Gu li, you are dead to me you piece of poo poo.

AdorableStar posted:

I'm perfectly fine with the ten minute time setting as well, but I usually find myself hitting byo-yomi after about half of the game. I don't really take too long to think, though; usually in ranked games with 25 minutes on the clock my opponet will either be in byo-yomi or have less than 10 minutes left when I've only used 10 of my 25.

Lee Sedol is going to win.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

So you're proud that you won a 50/50 guess lmao

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

So you're proud that you won a 50/50 guess lmao

Yes.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
That looked like a pretty exciting game. can't wait for the commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

That looked like a pretty exciting game. can't wait for the commentary.

Furious furikawari