Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\I'd be cool with five. Only two to start, though.

Superconsndar posted:

Today, I had THREE Petland employees struggle, and then fail to sex a rat. They keep them in the back, and I told them to gimme a female because I just needed a generic female. I was standing just outside the staff area and could hear all three of the employees back there going "uh, is this a female?" "uh, yeah...yeah, that's female." I didn't check or even look in the box until I got home because how do you gently caress up sexing a rat, but I could see its GIANT RAT BALLS as soon as I popped the lid of the box open. I also told them to give me a large, and it is like 5 weeks old.

I mean I am not surprised really because Petland, but lol. I didn't take him back because my male is alone and needs a friend anyway, so whatever. :downs:

At Petco, our training includes looking at drawings of rat junk to avoid just such a mistake :smug:

I'm hoping that the rats in our store have fleas because otherwise I may be allergic to rats now and that sucks because I was planning on getting a couple. I was grabbing a feeder rat and after boxing her up my hand started itching like a motherfucker. There was a tiny scratch from the rats claws, but there was also a big giant bump that looked like an insect bite. I so do not want to be allergic to rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST
I`ll rape you till you love me
THEY ALWAYS LOVE ME BEFORE THEY DIE
I've got Casper in my lap about to die. It's been a long happy life for him so I wont be upset for long.

Hes a tough little bastard. Every time I think hes gonna give up he snaps awake for a second before going limp again.

I love you little guy. I'm gonna miss you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Oh no :(

At least he can go out being cuddled - something none of my girls have ever been able to have happen.

Poor chap :(

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry :( but, I'm glad he's peaceful. That's all I want for my guys when they pass.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think we should all be so lucky as to die peaceful and warm being cuddled by a loved one.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Man, I didn't realise just how chilled out my original trio are for girl rats. Moxxi and Pandora, even though Moxxi's only about a month or so younger than my ~six month old girls, don't stop.

Five rats is my limit, I think. When everyone is wide awake and bouncing, I just get totally swarmed.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I'm down to one. :(

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST
Just sent Casper for cremation. Made sure they would do it while hes wrapped in my scarf.

CompactFanny posted:

I'm down to one. :(

None.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry Slidje :( The scarf is a lovely idea.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'm really sorry, Slidje (and CF). Are you guys finished with rats now or do you think you'll want to get more?

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't decided, but I know I'm going with females if I get another pair. Sprocket will be 3 in march and he never stopped peeing all over me every chance he gets.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Amelia has picked up an interesting new hobby -- attempting to pull our lips open so she can lick the inside. Where the hell did she even get an idea like that? I love her anyway.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Your mouth smells of food, she wants that food. I would reeeeeally advise to NOT let her do that, because not only is it unhygienic, it's also potentially dangerous if she decides to suddenly chomp down.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

it's also potentially dangerous if she decides to suddenly chomp down.

LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY.

I read somewhere once (maybe itt?) about someone who owned a rat who ripped a chunk of their lip off trying to get into their mouth :gonk: I am always really cautious if my girls go anywhere near my mouth.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I personally don't like animals near my mouth. Or people :catstare:

My ex tried to kiss one of my rats once right after dinner and was rewarded with a pierced lip.

Saberjackal
Oct 21, 2008

Going around, and around, and around...

This is Hecuba

We have had our rats now for a few weeks and so far things are better but Hecuba is still having issues with biting fingers and things. She is still high strung slight movements or motion make her flee and hide. She rips things apart when given the chance, and she's now drawn blood with a bite. I am unsure as to what to do with Hecuba. She does love getting out of the cage and exploring she also loves to jump and run when she can. getting rid of her is not an option I will love that rat for her life I just want her to have a better life. I also have to fault myself, what am I doing wrong? What can I do better? My wife and I spend as much time as we can with the rats letting them run and climb all over us and around safe spots in the home. They love yogurt chips and my wife and I both spoil them rotten with them.

This is Cara Noeli

Now Cara on the other hand is entirely different she loves to crawl and climb but is less wild then Hecuba. However she is awfully cage shy she likes to get out of the cage but will hesitate when Hecuba is already off and away. Something else comes to mind when my wife purchased the pair the handler admitted she may have "spooked" Hecuba when cleaning the cage. That statement should have sent off alarm bells but they were the last two rats and my wife and I agreed that we were not going to leave the rats alone.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Fraction posted:

Your mouth smells of food, she wants that food. I would reeeeeally advise to NOT let her do that, because not only is it unhygienic, it's also potentially dangerous if she decides to suddenly chomp down.

Oh yeah, we redirect her every time she tries. She's doing it less and less, though.

And here's some photospam:

Post-bath towel time!

She was capped as a baby, but it turns out her adult coat is almost Himalayan?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

We're thoroughly fed up of cleaning the large plastic based monstrosity we have and really want something with a bottom tray that'll slide out. Does anyone have any immediate recommendations?

This is currently #1 on our list. http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Liberta_Explorer_Rat%2C_Ferret_and_Chinchilla.htm

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Gooses and Geeses posted:

We're thoroughly fed up of cleaning the large plastic based monstrosity we have and really want something with a bottom tray that'll slide out. Does anyone have any immediate recommendations?

This is currently #1 on our list. http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Liberta_Explorer_Rat%2C_Ferret_and_Chinchilla.htm

Do you use fleece or substrate?

I have an Aventura cage (when it was on sale for £89 :toot:) and had to stop using aubiose/hemcore because it just got everywhere. I use cardboard strips now, which they fling out but at a lesser rate than the hemp bedding. If you use fleece and can deal with spot cleaning and all that, the Liberta Explorer/SRS/Aventura/etc cages are amazing.

I can't really be assed with fleece so I just clean up the cardboard each day V:shobon:V

If you're looking for something slimmer than the explorer/etc, I really like this cage. With the code DECEMBER you get 25% off today, too.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

We just have newspaper and shredded paper which they love love love making nests out of. Any time we've tried to use anything else they just punt it out of the cage.

Thanks for the links!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

If your current cage has a fairly high sided tray, expect to be cleaning up a lot of paper scraps. I don't even know how my rats manage it, but the cardboard gets everywhere (the hemp was so, so much worse though :gonk:).

What sort of cage are you looking for? The liberta explorer and similiar cages are fairly wide; and they're over 5 feet tall on the stand. How many rats are you looking to accommodate (now and in future)?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

We've got five and that's the limit! The current tray is quite a deep one, yes, and paper everywhere wouldn't be ideal. There's no height restriction but it needs to be less than 1 metre wide and less than 70cm deep, so the ones linked before fit the bill.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Okay cool. I have five in an Aventura; if you're willing to throw the money down (and either switch to fleece or just pick up the paper scraps a couple times a day) you'll only need to do a full cage clean every week or so, maybe even less if you use the shelves.

Bigger is always better, but bear in mind that with the Liberta Explorer/Aventura type cages, a full cage clean uses a lot of substrate. The two shelves together take nearly as much substrate as a full tray in the Aventura. I'm not sure about the explorer shelves, but it looks like the shelves don't actually have lips? In which case I guess you'll either have to clip fleece on or deal with the rats very easily pushing substrate off of them.

It does take a lot of maintenance, and you do use up more substrate simply for the fact that you're basically filling three massive trays full of substrate.

I will say that if you get an Explorer, find a way to clip one of the doors shut. Only one door opens on each level on my Aventura and holy hell. It's difficult enough with rats pouring onto you out of one door; I can't even imagine how hard it must be if you have young or attention-hungry rats trying to climb out of both doors.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Does using fleece not increase the smell? I always thought the newspaper would 'hide' waste and prevent a smell? We've recently switched to fleece with our indoor guinea pigs, so I'm not completely averse to change.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

If you use fleece, I suggest investing in a handheld vacuum, or else picking up poop by hand. (You can try litter training, but my rats never took to it.) You'll probably want to change the fleece liners twice a week, too, rather than once; in my experience they do tend to soak up the pee more, and get gross after more than ~3 days.

Someone like Invalid Octopus, who regularly uses fleece liners, might be able to help you more on fleece questions :v:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Fraction posted:

If you use fleece, I suggest investing in a handheld vacuum, or else picking up poop by hand. (You can try litter training, but my rats never took to it.) You'll probably want to change the fleece liners twice a week, too, rather than once; in my experience they do tend to soak up the pee more, and get gross after more than ~3 days.

We already do that with the guineas actually, so that's a neat idea. Hmm..

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Invalid Octopus posted:

Could you try cleaning the room with Nature's Miracle? This is decently reviewed, though I haven't used it – it's supposed to remove odor from the cage, but it might help with the cat odor near the cage. You could also try feeding them extra stinky food and/or giving them extra places to hide.

Just wanted to pop in really quick and say thanks for this. No Nature's Miracle but I dutifully tried to keep the cat stink out of the room (they shed all over the blankets mostly and no one really ever uses that bed so I washed everything), and shoved a ton of paper towels into their cage. I think they've also just generally gotten used to it, as occasionally a cat will pop in and they don't seem to be skittish at all anymore. I think the hidey holes especially helped, there were a few boxes in there beforehand but I don't think it was doing the trick for them. They seem much happier now though!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Not The Platypus posted:

Oh yeah, we redirect her every time she tries. She's doing it less and less, though.

And here's some photospam:

Post-bath towel time!

She was capped as a baby, but it turns out her adult coat is almost Himalayan?

That's the same rat? Woah. :stare:

Speaking of coat fading, my friend's rat Ren has faded from a banded siamese to... just siamese?

As a young 'un:

(Stumpy, Ren's sister, who had the same back-stripe, though his was darker.)

Now:

:psyduck:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

That's the same rat? Woah. :stare:

Speaking of coat fading, my friend's rat Ren has faded from a banded siamese to... just siamese?

:psyduck:

It's normal. Siamese rats can definitely be marked, those markings just fade as they molt into their adult coats and they're left with only points.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Nono, the black capped is a different rat. Amelia started off looking champagne capped --you can still sort of see it when she's wet.

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST

Fraction posted:

think you'll want to get more?
In the process of moving. If I can find a place that allows pets, yeah.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The girls are so sweet.

IMG_0186 by cerebruminc, on Flickr

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I just spent about two hours cleaning the rat cage and redesigning everything.

BEFORE THE CLEANING :black101:

Top of cage.

Bottom of cage.

Big ol' full cage view.

Rare as hell group shot. Left to right: Valentine, Pandora, Alice, Chell, Mad Moxxi.

what is my life when did i become a ratlady :negative:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Do they stay in that tub? I had to buy a cat carrier for my boys because they go to great lengths to escape wherever I put them while cleaning the cage.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

What a lovely rat bouquet! :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

You know it's funny, the rats typically don't show much interest in the cats at all, but tonight my husband brushed the cats and ended up with a dense bundle of fur a little bigger than a golf ball and we chucked it in the rat cage on a whim. They're having a blast sniffing it and rolling it around, and stealing it back and forth from each other.

Cheapest rat toy ever?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

RazorBunny posted:

Do they stay in that tub? I had to buy a cat carrier for my boys because they go to great lengths to escape wherever I put them while cleaning the cage.

There's a lid for the tub with breathing holes in it :ssh: The only reason they hadn't climbed out whilst I took a picture was because they'd just woken up.

Amiss posted:

What a lovely rat bouquet! :3:

Rat bouquet best bouquet :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The box full of squirming rats must be quite a sight. :3:

Here is mouses.

White ear fluff.

Mohawk!

Their coats haven't changed much since I got them except Daria is a little bit more glossy, (the black one). They seem to be very content. I'm living at my parents' at the moment and they get nice fresh herbs from the garden.

When I clean the counter under their cage, I put them on the floor, and Gary always takes the opportunity to watch them VERY INTENSELY like it's the greatest show on Dog TV. At first he would try to paw at the cage but now he just stands there when I tell him to LEAVE IT and stares. He is a good dog. I wouldn't trust him with them out of the cage though.

I was wandering around the house today and couldn't work out where the smell was until I realised Amy had pissed all over me. :downs: Thanks mouse. Thmouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So uh, random morbid question: would it be dangerous to feed rats the f/t pinkies my snakes refuse? I don't want to just toss em, that feels like a real waste. Plus I heard rats can and do eat mice, but if it's too much protein I won't consider it.

As I type this I am imaging a :stonk: expression from a million ratladies.