Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nexus6 posted:

I never use Chrome on mobile because it can't block ads and this built in one sounds like it might block ads but not really because it'll still let some 'acceptable' ones though.

TBH the main reason I don't use Firefox on desktop as well is it still freezes up more often than Chrome and can still take up to a minute to launch on my machine. Though I suppose it would boot as fast as Chrome if it was always running in the background too.

Time to get a SSD, a minute it a long time to wait for a web browser to load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Rexxed posted:

Time to get a SSD, a minute it a long time to wait for a web browser to load.

Unfortunately I'm referring to my work PC. I'm not gonna get an SSD approved so I can browse the forums faster :P

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Unfortunately I'm referring to my work PC. I'm not gonna get an SSD approved so I can browse the forums faster :P

"Something something increased productivity...." ;)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

sauer kraut posted:

Could be the graphics driver making GBS threads the bed after sleep, do the problems persist through a real reboot (not Windows' hybernate/FastBoot things)

Mak0rz posted:

I disabled Fast Startup and now I can't seem to replicate it whether I'm booting, rebooting, or waking from sleep :shrug:. Who the gently caress knows if that actually "fixed" anything though because I could just be getting lucky. Sometimes it won't happen for days on end and then I get a particularly bad one like yesterday.

Still not sure if that did anything, but it continues to do weird poo poo after waking from sleep. Just now it was working fine after waking but would not load any images. I closed and restarted it and then it worked fine for about a minute and then it hardlocked again, forcing me to restart Windows.

It always works for a few seconds before it does this. Would that still indicate graphics drivers taking a poo poo? As far as I know everything else works fine except on a few occasions when Edge wouldn't load any pages which still leads me to believe it has something to do with network connectivity for some reason.

I'm at my wit's end here. This is getting really annoying.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For some time I've been having a weird issue where for whatever reason google search and some related services will just stop responding, like if the site was down. Even trying to access https://www.google.com via 172.217.28.36, for example, won't work.

Other stuff like gmail.com, calendar.google.com, contacts.google.com, etc., will work fine.

The problem only occurs withing a specific Chrome session, if I open up an incognito window everything works fine within that window. I haven't seen this happen on any other computer in the office or even with my own Chrome install at home.

I'm on 58.0.3029.96 stable.

Ublock origin is running both on regular and incognito window.

Any ideas?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Ublock origin is running both on regular and incognito window.

Wait, you can have it run on Incognito mode?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, you can have it run on Incognito mode?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google talks about the ad blocking features that will be built in to Chrome in 2018:

https://blog.google/topics/journalism-news/building-better-web-everyone/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Google talks about the ad blocking features that will be built in to Chrome in 2018:

Yeah whatever, as long as these fucks aren't trying for an excuse to block uBlock.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah whatever, as long as these fucks aren't trying for an excuse to block uBlock.

If they develop a way to cache web apps they might well move to kill extensions entirely.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Thermopyle posted:

This feels like a bad idea for Google, like a prepackaged antittrust complaint from other online advertizing concerns, and an invitation for other major browsers to adopt stricter adblocking procedures than Google proposes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

maltesh posted:

This feels like a bad idea for Google, like a prepackaged antittrust complaint from other online advertizing concerns, and an invitation for other major browsers to adopt stricter adblocking procedures than Google proposes.

Google blocks obnoxious ads with this one weird trick. Advertisers hate it!

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
So when Chrome changed the page back keyboard shortcut from DELETE to ALT+left they really hosed up the usability of one of my most frequently used shortcuts. You can't do ALT+left on a UK layout keyboard with a single hand, because the right ALT key is ALT GR, and that doesn't trigger it.

Is there any way to workaround this and make ALT GR+left go back as well?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Daviclond posted:

So when Chrome changed the page back keyboard shortcut from DELETE to ALT+left they really hosed up the usability of one of my most frequently used shortcuts. You can't do ALT+left on a UK layout keyboard with a single hand, because the right ALT key is ALT GR, and that doesn't trigger it.

Is there any way to workaround this and make ALT GR+left go back as well?

There's a couple of extensions to restore backspace to go back if you want the old behavior:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/backspace-to-go-back/nlffgllnjjkheddehpolbanogdeaogbc
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/back-to-backspace/cldokedgmomhbifmiiogjjkgffhcbaec

There's also one that lets you make custom shortcuts if you want a different key:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shortkeys-custom-keyboard/logpjaacgmcbpdkdchjiaagddngobkck/

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chrome 59 hit stable today.

It has the phone-look settings page on it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Safari is going to block ad tracking and all auto play videos. Google needs to get on that poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Safari is going to block ad tracking and all auto play videos. Google needs to get on that poo poo.

lol block ad tracking? That's Google's bread and butter. Apple are in the hardware business and Google are in the advertising business.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually forgot that was Google's core business. Huh. I use an extension that ostensibly blocks that stuff but sometimes I still see them.

They have to realize that it's unsettling and irritating to see ads for certain shoes after buying those shoes on Amazon. Like, what the hell I just bought a phone I'm not going to buy another one a week later. Take the data but use it better.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 6, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually forgot that was Google's core business. Huh. I use an extension that ostensibly blocks that stuff but sometimes I still see them.

They have to realize that it's unsettling and irritating to see ads for certain shoes after buying those shoes on Amazon. Like, what the hell I just bought a phone I'm not going to buy another one a week later. Take the data but use it better.

A week or two ago, the Google Now Launcher on my phone sent me a notification that the pants I'd ordered online a few weeks before were now on sale at the same site.

I don't understand what the point of that is. At least when it shows you similar things it might be assuming you didn't buy them already, but what's the point of telling me the site I bought my clothes from is having a sale on that item weeks later?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Those CNN auto-play videos are the loving bane of my existence, especially on the lovely PCs we have at work, but that's another story. I was actually going to look for an extension to disable auto-play because that poo poo is so irritating (but it won't help me at work, of course.)

Mu Zeta posted:

Wrist Watch posted:

A week or two ago, the Google Now Launcher on my phone sent me a notification that the pants I'd ordered online a few weeks before were now on sale at the same site.

I don't understand what the point of that is. At least when it shows you similar things it might be assuming you didn't buy them already, but what's the point of telling me the site I bought my clothes from is having a sale on that item weeks later?

This is definitely obnoxious, although I kind of see the point, i.e. to offer relevant shopping info (which gets Google paid for the advertising and the clickthrough to complete the transaction.) The problem is that Google doesn't really seem to know that you've actually made a purchase, so it keeps trying to offer more "helpful" advertising.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Google ads are pretty unobtrusive though, they are relatively safe as far as maleware goes. Internet users have decided they won't pay for content, so ads are here to stay. Google plan is to build an ad blocker in that allows ethical ads through according to their guidelines. I'm sure they just want to block other peoples ads and gain more market share too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Atomizer posted:

This is definitely obnoxious, although I kind of see the point, i.e. to offer relevant shopping info (which gets Google paid for the advertising and the clickthrough to complete the transaction.) The problem is that Google doesn't really seem to know that you've actually made a purchase, so it keeps trying to offer more "helpful" advertising.

No, see that's the thing. Google knows I made a purchase from the confirmation email.

The card in Google Now read something along the lines of "update about an item you purchased", before showing the price drop. It's baffling.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

No, see that's the thing. Google knows I made a purchase from the confirmation email.

The card in Google Now read something along the lines of "update about an item you purchased", before showing the price drop. It's baffling.

I know that's true some of the time, and honestly I can't explain why Google's not smart enough not to waste unnecessary advertising efforts for needs that have obviously been fulfilled (unless Google thinks you need more pants because Trump makes you keep making GBS threads them? :confused:)

In my case I don't always make purchases with a Google/Gmail account, so they know what I was shopping for (or just researching) but not that I made my purchase already. I then get slightly annoying "suggestions" for hard drives, monitors, laptops, or whatever else I was looking up, and it's somewhat excusable in those cases (except that I don't need Google's "help" because I know exactly what I want.)

It's definitely a little creepy to see those customized ads though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have this lovely extension that was recommended to me on here called Downloads - your downloads box that hides the ungodly Chrome downloads drawer and sends downloads to a button alongside the address bar. Its no longer in the store but I'm still using it fine. I'm pretty sure I can pack it as it is and distribute it to my other devices correct? Or is there a similar replacement? I dont need a full blown manager, just had to get rid of that loving drawer.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Every time this comes up, I always pimp Always Clear Downloads.
Been using it for several years, and it does exactly what it says on the box.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Someone explain to me why Adguard (https://adguard.com/) is poo poo. Like, I'm using it and I know I shouldn't be but the presentation enthralled me and it seems ok?

Something just feels really ... off about it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is Chrome using ridiculous amounts of memory for anyone else? My pc just installed the windows 10 creators update or whatever which might have had something to do with it, but where before it barely broke 20k on a particularly heavy page it now will happily suck up 100k on a two tabs, one on a google search about this and a support page. It also seems to be hitting my gpu pretty hard too, I don't know what it was before but it definitely wasn't the 300k mb it's doing right now.

Not sure if this is a Chrome problem or a Windows problem. I already had to roll back that lovely Anniversary update because it somehow broke my computer's ability to connect to the internet entirely.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Is Chrome using ridiculous amounts of memory for anyone else? My pc just installed the windows 10 creators update or whatever which might have had something to do with it, but where before it barely broke 20k on a particularly heavy page it now will happily suck up 100k on a two tabs, one on a google search about this and a support page. It also seems to be hitting my gpu pretty hard too, I don't know what it was before but it definitely wasn't the 300k mb it's doing right now.

Not sure if this is a Chrome problem or a Windows problem. I already had to roll back that lovely Anniversary update because it somehow broke my computer's ability to connect to the internet entirely.

Uh, well, Chrome is pretty notorious for being a memory hog.

Your numbers are confusing, though. "20k"? As in "20 kB"? "300k mb"? You mean 300 kMB? That doesn't work though, you're looking for G for giga- because you don't double up on metric prefixes. 300 GB of memory doesn't make sense, though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Wirth1000 posted:

Someone explain to me why Adguard (https://adguard.com/) is poo poo. Like, I'm using it and I know I shouldn't be but the presentation enthralled me and it seems ok?

Something just feels really ... off about it.
I've been using it on my Android devices for a while but I've never used it on desktop, I just use uBlock Origin

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Atomizer posted:

Uh, well, Chrome is pretty notorious for being a memory hog.

Your numbers are confusing, though. "20k"? As in "20 kB"? "300k mb"? You mean 300 kMB? That doesn't work though, you're looking for G for giga- because you don't double up on metric prefixes. 300 GB of memory doesn't make sense, though.

Sorry if my prefixes are wrong, in chrome's task manager it just says (insert number)k under the memory tab so I was just kinda winging it. All I'm really trying to say is Chrome is suddenly using like two to four times as much memory as it used to and it's got me a bit confused.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

Sorry if my prefixes are wrong, in chrome's task manager it just says (insert number)k under the memory tab so I was just kinda winging it. All I'm really trying to say is Chrome is suddenly using like two to four times as much memory as it used to and it's got me a bit confused.

Open the windows task manager and check under details, add up the various instances of chrome.exe.
With 5 tabs (facebook, youtube, reddit, SA and a news website) and uBlock Origin it should be ~800 megabytes to maybe 1 gig

e; from a feshly started chrome. If you keep it running for days or have the "keep process open in the background" setting enabled, all bets are off

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 9, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

It could totally be a combination of tab content and/or leaky extensions, but Chrome using a ton of memory is nothing that would surprise me. On my Windows PC I usually have Windows Task Manager open and while Chrome has multiple processes, the total is absolutely in the hundreds of MB range if not GB-plus (although I usually don't bother to tally it up because the PC is for gaming and has 16 GB of RAM so it's not really an issue.)

On my Chromebooks, by contrast, they run a pretty lean Linux OS (ChromeOS) and pretty exclusively the RAM holds just browser stuff, since there's not much software that the user can actually run directly on this OS. Using COG (or any system viewer extension) I can see that when my tabs are active (2 dozen or more) the CB will easily use over 8 GB of RAM (and keep in mind there are only like 2 CBs that have >8 GB,) so you can do some rough math to see just how much RAM tabs can use. In fact, I opened my Chrome Task Manager and have about a half-dozen tabs that individually use >200 MB, which seems obscene. :stare:

Also, on that topic (the Chrome Task Manager,) if you look at that memory number, it's in the form of something like "299,320K" which is perfectly accurate, in that in my example it's reporting "~300,000 kB" (rounded off) of memory (I hate when proper abbreviations and conventions aren't observed, sorry :shrug:) which is ~300 MB; you were apparently just reporting the digits in front of the comma, which very much change the value in terms of throwing it off by orders of magnitude! Remember that k=kilo=x10^3, and M=mega=x10^6 (decimal, ignoring binary for now,) so that 5-6-digit value with the comma and kilo prefix is mostly unnecessary (due to the values involved) and you can drop the comma if you move the decimal point over 3 places to the left and go up a Metric prefix (this gets into Engineering Notation, which I prefer for convenience.)

That means your values of 100 MB, 300 MB are totally in line with the Chrome usage I typically see, but the 20 MB on a "heavy" page is very suspect because that's abnormally low. To satisfy my curiosity, I opened up a new tab to google.com, and according to the Task Manager it uses...>92 MB.... :eyepop: (And then it went down to >77 MB, which is still way too loving high for an almost empty page. :stare:)

All that being said, because Chrome is indeed a memory hog, I also use an extension called The Great Suspender which unloads the content of dormant pages, temporarily replacing them with a screenshot of each page, which greatly reduces memory usage. Then all you have to do is click on the page (or hit Refresh) to make it reload. This in turn generally shaves my typical tab memory load to closer to 4 GB (and is why I can't get an exact reading for the amount of RAM used because half the tabs are suspended.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Software using lots of RAM is not a problem. Only worry about it if you're having actual problems with using your computer.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thermopyle posted:

Software using lots of RAM is not a problem. Only worry about it if you're having actual problems with using your computer.

The only reason I asked was because chrome was using enough ram and hitting my gpu hard enough that I was dropping fps while playing games because of it. I'm the kind of awful person that keeps like 40 tabs open spread out through five different windows and if something like that happened it was usually some page/extension leaking. It's bizarre to only have a single tab open to soundcloud playing in the background while playing something and see it using 150 mb when before it would barely use 20, but apparently that's how it's supposed be so I guess the win 10 update made my bizarro world install of chrome finally behave properly?

sauer kraut posted:

Open the windows task manager and check under details, add up the various instances of chrome.exe.
With 5 tabs (facebook, youtube, reddit, SA and a news website) and uBlock Origin it should be ~800 megabytes to maybe 1 gig

e; from a feshly started chrome. If you keep it running for days or have the "keep process open in the background" setting enabled, all bets are off

I'll take a look next time I'm at my computer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Facebook has recently started crashing for me. I can close the tab fine but its really annoying. Googling gets me a bunch fo stuff from 4 years ago. Anyone know why? I'm on windows 10 and have ublock and a smooth scrolling extension

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jose posted:

Facebook has recently started crashing for me. I can close the tab fine but its really annoying. Googling gets me a bunch fo stuff from 4 years ago. Anyone know why? I'm on windows 10 and have ublock and a smooth scrolling extension
Try disabling your extensions and testing it out. Have you tried Chrome's native smooth scroll? Just hit up chrome://flags/ and toggle smooth scrolling on (after turning off the extension, obviously).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ok, help me out here. Chrome on my desktop PC (but not on any ChromeOS machine) does this where it frequently fails to load the page correctly:

This is how the page is supposed to look (it renders correctly after hitting refresh):

It's actually displaying the images from the bottom of the page (they're thumbnails for the other sub-woots):

Even though it eventually renders the page on refresh, it often fails to load a majority of pages upon first navigating to them. Any ideas?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

How often is often? I get that periodically when my wifi is having a fit. I'm willing to bet it has more to do with your internet connection than it does Chrome.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you can hit f12 and undock the dev tools and keep it minimized and the network tab will show you what's going wrong when you select the bad network request

my guess is something dns related though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It happens all the time on that specific Windows 10 PC (as in, the majority of pages upon first load) and never on ChromeOS or Android, and this is with multiple devices on the same network. It also hasn't always been the case that the browser on that PC has done that; it's a more recent phenomenon given the age of it (about 4 years old) but nowadays I generally just use Windows for gaming and ChromeOS for everything else. It's just when I'm trying to look up stuff on Windows in between gaming that having to immediately reload most pages becomes a nuisance. I haven't tried reinstalling Chrome though.