Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Man can actually fight Ermor on their own turf, since they have the magic paths to create tons of pack lunches.
Shame they cost an absolute fortune in gems to get to a useful mass, at which point you've hosed five dozen Nature gems in the bin to take over some mostly-worthless provinces and a capital that's just going to make you a huge target for the rest of the game when you've already spent your resources on getting ready to fight big blocks of undead.

rip you at that point.

T3L3 is alright if you're not in a hurry to get forts, and are OK with not diversifying very much with mercenaries. You'll get scads of magic resources, but you're only a couple of casts of Baleful Star away from your capital being at T3M1, which is A Bad Time.

Pan can use it to fill up its forts with Maenads, which makes even Palisades pretty impregnable past a certain point. Yomi and Lanka notionally get benefits for taking Turmoil, but it's a mug's game in both cases, and anyone who says "ah but your opponent won't want to fight you or whatever" is dumb, since after your smaller armies and worse mages get spanked with less forts to hold out in, your territory is going to turn to O3 over time anyway if it's in their dominion, so pfft.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

T3L3 is alright if you're not in a hurry to get forts, and are OK with not diversifying very much with mercenaries. You'll get scads of magic resources, but you're only a couple of casts of Baleful Star away from your capital being at T3M1, which is A Bad Time.

The Horrors just want to be your friend.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

The Horrors just want to be your friend.
It's not even that, it's the "A civil war has broken out and killed 60% of the population" or whatever events that are going to screw you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh you meant misfortune not magic.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Oh you meant misfortune not magic.
Yeah, Baleful Star reduces Luck two steps per cast.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Actually what you are shooting for with T3/L3 is the 3k gold magic item and gems event, get that in year 1, sneer at order havers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Nature mages bring their own supplies. Not many, but if you spam them and then cart them away from the lab you don't have to rely on a massively inefficient gem expenditure.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A Mother of Avalon can't sustain the number of troops they can bring with themselves, even the N3 ones. It's pretty tragic.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do I do MA Man? I think making a pretender just to cast Fire Arrows is kind of lame.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MA Agartha still has pale ones who do not use supplies and have a siege bonus.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

How do I do MA Man? I think making a pretender just to cast Fire Arrows is kind of lame.
Without Flaming Arrows, you kinda don't. It makes such an incredible difference to how the faction plays in the early game that you can't really do without it against opponents with any kind of armour (even against naked foes, it changes your archers from 'definitely maim' to 'MLRS'), especially since you have large amounts of casual sling access in non-fort provinces to add a bunch of projectiles all the time.

Your non-Longbow troops are not good enough to sustain the faction before you get high into Enchantment and Alteration and they become acceptable flying berzerking poison-proof regenerating barkskinned chaff for your mages, and your Storm casters are counterproductive unless you're willing to sacrifice enough goats IRL to ensure stacks of A2 Mothers of Avalon to get Storm Powered up into Thunderstrike casters with sufficient Relief/Song of Not Being Too Tired backup from an N3E1 MoA/N4 Crone and then loads of Daughters.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

MA Agartha still has pale ones who do not use supplies and have a siege bonus.

On the other hand, MA Agartha still has pale ones.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Smerdyakov posted:

On the other hand, MA Agartha still has pale ones.

Pale Ones are amazing at sieges; their siege bonus, cheap cost and no need to eat makes them pretty much unmatched when it comes to taking down a dudes castle.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

jBrereton posted:

Without Flaming Arrows, you kinda don't. It makes such an incredible difference to how the faction plays in the early game that you can't really do without it against opponents with any kind of armour (even against naked foes, it changes your archers from 'definitely maim' to 'MLRS'), especially since you have large amounts of casual sling access in non-fort provinces to add a bunch of projectiles all the time.

Your non-Longbow troops are not good enough to sustain the faction before you get high into Enchantment and Alteration and they become acceptable flying berzerking poison-proof regenerating barkskinned chaff for your mages, and your Storm casters are counterproductive unless you're willing to sacrifice enough goats IRL to ensure stacks of A2 Mothers of Avalon to get Storm Powered up into Thunderstrike casters with sufficient Relief/Song of Not Being Too Tired backup from an N3E1 MoA/N4 Crone and then loads of Daughters.

The only thing to add to this is that your F4 pretender can, as well as just casting Flaming Arrows, also forge Flame Helmets. These go on your recruit- outside- forts Logrian wise men to promote them to F2, at which point I believe they can cast Phoenix Power and then use gems to cast Flaming Arrows. I'm not sure about that though because I don't know if you can use two gems in a cast if you only have level 2 through boosters (and the game I tried out MA Man, I found the site that lets you recruit Indy F3s).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ilanin posted:

The only thing to add to this is that your F4 pretender can, as well as just casting Flaming Arrows, also forge Flame Helmets. These go on your recruit- outside- forts Logrian wise men to promote them to F2, at which point I believe they can cast Phoenix Power and then use gems to cast Flaming Arrows.
Correct.

Awake F4E4A4 Tiwaz of War, Dom 7, two net positive scales of your choosing and you're going to be pretty much fine provided you're doing as well as other players in terms of expansion, and realistically you should, because Longbowmen + Spearmen (not Longspearmen, they are crap) are fine against about 80% of indies. Heavy infantry/Cavalry is going to cause you some problems, but that's about it, and you're not the only faction where that's the case by any means.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why awake instead of dormant?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I assume for faster research/expansion/guy who can forge fire helms and poo poo for your other plebs?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Why awake instead of dormant?
Faster research. A Tiwaz of War is going to add about 300-400rp to your research in the first year, assuming he stays in the cap with some massive spectacles on. That's pretty much Ench 3 just from one guy, sprint to Ench 4 with Daughters/Mothers around the place, accumulate a big stack of slingers/Longbowmen, crush your first target and then do some other research.

Not sure you can get that impact from 3 scales and a mostly-useless point in F/A/E, but I'm always open to new strategies if you've got suggestions.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmm. E does go well with A in the respect of getting extremely cheap owl quills with hammers, assuming you got a few Mothers out searching. I've been making Owl Quills+Imp Familiars as Vanheim in another game, and those research boosts stack up very well.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

AtomikKrab posted:

Actually what you are shooting for with T3/L3 is the 3k gold magic item and gems event, get that in year 1, sneer at order havers.

This is what I was hoping for with a T3L3 ea abysia in shart but it never materialized and I ended up constantly strapped for cash.

Unless you're doing a Chaos Power gimmick for your nation, don't count on events to be able to keep you above water.

Ilanin posted:

The only thing to add to this is that your F4 pretender can, as well as just casting Flaming Arrows, also forge Flame Helmets. These go on your recruit- outside- forts Logrian wise men to promote them to F2, at which point I believe they can cast Phoenix Power and then use gems to cast Flaming Arrows. I'm not sure about that though because I don't know if you can use two gems in a cast if you only have level 2 through boosters (and the game I tried out MA Man, I found the site that lets you recruit Indy F3s).

You absolutely can, just tried it. An F1 mage with a Flame Helmet could Phoenix Power and then Flaming Arrows. Could also use 3 gems to do Living Fire.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 20, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Hmm. E does go well with A in the respect of getting extremely cheap owl quills with hammers, assuming you got a few Mothers out searching.
You can actually get Dwarven Hammers from E2 Logrian Wise Men with boots. The E4 is because a) it isn't very expensive, and many of your mages are sacred, so the reinvigoration is nice, b) there is quite a lot of handy battlemagic it's nice to keep cheap, and c) for forging a Staff of Elemental Mastery before you do something stupid which might cause your pretender to die, because they'll keep their old, crucial levels (the difference between A3 and A4 is pretty much night and day when it comes to boosters and the like, and F4 is useful for casting a number of battlefield-wide spells).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 20, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is scripting buggy or something? I have a fire jar but my mage absolutely refuses to cast Flaming Arrows, even though when it's the only spell in his script. Range shouldn't be a factor since it's a battlefield-wide spell.

For that matter, is there a general guide for scripting battle commands out there? Everyone says it's important but there's like zero information on it.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Is scripting buggy or something? I have a fire jar but my mage absolutely refuses to cast Flaming Arrows, even though when it's the only spell in his script. Range shouldn't be a factor since it's a battlefield-wide spell.

For that matter, is there a general guide for scripting battle commands out there? Everyone says it's important but there's like zero information on it.

Scripting is buggy, but can you give us more information about your problem? I haven't had any problems with F4 (or F3 + fire power) dudes casting Flaming Arrows with a fire in a jar.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Flame112 posted:

Scripting is buggy, but can you give us more information about your problem? I haven't had any problems with F4 (or F3 + fire power) dudes casting Flaming Arrows with a fire in a jar.

Not much more to tell. I have him set to cast Fire Arrows, then stay behind troops, but at the start of the battle he just starts casting Ironskin and Thunderstrike instead.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
What were you fighting against? Since the AI is so amazing in this game, naturally the developers decided to give it the ability to overwrite your orders if the enemy force is, in its humble opinion, not worth the gem(s). So if you're fighting against a very small force, big spells won't be cast, even if the mage's whole script is covered be gem generators.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There is a threshold for gem use, so your dudes won't waste them on small battles. Otherwise, it may be that you need to script Phoenix Power first so he's boosted.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Comrade Question posted:

What were you fighting against? Since the AI is so amazing in this game, naturally the developers decided to give it the ability to overwrite your orders if the enemy force is, in its humble opinion, not worth the gem(s). So if you're fighting against a very small force, big spells won't be cast, even if the mage's whole script is covered be gem generators.

I had a feeling that might be it. I was doing a test game as Man after reading about the Flamin Arrows chat, so I was just running around with my pretender and a swarm of longbowmen. I guess the AI thought that outnumbering the enemy force 3:1 didn't warrant the gem being used, even though a lot of them were armored.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, your boots on the ground will probably merit an enemy indie scout get the full whack of Flaming Arrows backed by a shitload of Lesser Air Elementals from Daughters of Avalon you meant for the enemy capital to make up for it so you can see the effect first-hand.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Fair point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-02-20 22:45:00 +0100
Seasonal mages
Blizzard Warriors sacred archers
Fire and death bless arrows now requires a hit to take effect
Banfire bow no longer armor piercing

2014-02-20 16:52:49 +0100
'i' for province history

Baam. Caelum archers are sacred.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh poo poo Caelum are going to be loving terrifying raiders now.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Why couldnt this patch have hit BEFORE i started my caelum game. This is great.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

That was an entirely unnecessary change that I wish I could exploit in my current Caelum game. Recruit anywhere sacred high precision archers? F9 anyone?

It will be nice for them to have sacreds that are worth a poo poo though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I wonder what the hell 'seasonal mages' means. Dudes that can only be recruited in certain seasons?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

I wonder what the hell 'seasonal mages' means. Dudes that can only be recruited in certain seasons?

I would assume so. Niefel Jarl, slow to recruit, winter only :shepicide:

Going to be kind of annoying to micro if that's a thing. Can't just autorecruit a seasonal guy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assumed they'd just be some indie mages who get bonus paths during their season.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

goatface posted:

I assumed they'd just be some indie mages who get bonus paths during their season.

Hopefully it's this.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I want to know what the "province history" report shows.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why is everyone talking about dwarven hammers I thought they were made Conj 8 unique in Dom4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No? They're Con 2, 15 gems Earth 3, but they only provide a fixed 2 gem discount.

• Locked thread