Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can someone explain to me how the hell ducts work? I made a room with an industrial heater, put an intake in there, connected ducts to it, ran the ducts across the hall to a smart vent, network temperature never changes from ambient indoor temperature. Room's at 20, network is at 11, Room's at 200, network is at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That mod got a bit flaky in later releases unfortunately, and has never been totally debugged. It needs to be loaded last in your mod order, and even then it would sometimes stop working (ducts would stop taking in heat). What sometimes fixed it for me was to deconstruct and rebuild one of the intakes. Sometimes not. :shrug:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Azhais posted:

Can someone explain to me how the hell ducts work? I made a room with an industrial heater, put an intake in there, connected ducts to it, ran the ducts across the hall to a smart vent, network temperature never changes from ambient indoor temperature. Room's at 20, network is at 11, Room's at 200, network is at 11.
Have you made sure you're using the correct network? There's an upper and lower duct network and intakes/outlets default to the lower one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirViver posted:

Have you made sure you're using the correct network? There's an upper and lower duct network and intakes/outlets default to the lower one.

How do you check that? The version I see on ludeon's website has like "upper duct" and such, but the one from the modpack a page or two back doesn't seem to

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
When you're building pipes you can choose between upper and lower pipes, which in the construction/overlay mode are shown as yellow and red respectively. The intakes and outlets also show the pipe they're connected to, so if your network consists of yellow pipes and then the outlet tile has a red piece of pipe it's not connected. When you select the intake or outlet you can click a toggle network button in the lower left to switch to the correct network.

E: Oh you seem to be using an old version then. No idea about that, but it might be buggy. Haven't had any problems with the latest version.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 10, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

How do you check that? The version I see on ludeon's website has like "upper duct" and such, but the one from the modpack a page or two back doesn't seem to

My recommendation would be to not use the one in Inacio's modpack as I had your problem too.

The newer version is both more attractive to look at and less buggy, I think. You can just delete the old version and install the new one on top of the modpack.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh heck, Latta is maintaining this actively again? Neat, yes you should probably go directly to Latta as he's always been really on top of poo poo and this current version looks much further developed than when I last played with it.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.0

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, I bought this game and it is fun. I was playing and enjoying my little colony and I learned that I can easily change the kinds of crops I grow. I was going to grow cotton and make new clothes. But then a poisoned chunk of a space ship fell near my colony. I went to go shoot and stab it. But then a Scyther was there and killed everyone and all the dogs and squirrels I had.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Minenfeld! posted:

So, I bought this game and it is fun. I was playing and enjoying my little colony and I learned that I can easily change the kinds of crops I grow. I was going to grow cotton and make new clothes. But then a poisoned chunk of a space ship fell near my colony. I went to go shoot and stab it. But then a Scyther was there and killed everyone and all the dogs and squirrels I had.

Rimworld.txt

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How to make enough money? I'm starting to get a nice trickle from huge-rear end wood sculptures of squirrels getting shanked in their stupid faces, but it's pretty intensive in labor and resources. Still not getting me the kinda gear I need to fight off rabid mechanoid drops :(

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tias posted:

How to make enough money? I'm starting to get a nice trickle from huge-rear end wood sculptures of squirrels getting shanked in their stupid faces, but it's pretty intensive in labor and resources. Still not getting me the kinda gear I need to fight off rabid mechanoid drops :(

You need to look at your materials (depending on mods, etc) and make something out of a better material then wood. IIRC, Wood has a negative multiplier to value, but is easier to work with. Gold/Silver have a positive bonus to beauty and value, but are harder to work with.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Conot posted:

You need to look at your materials (depending on mods, etc) and make something out of a better material then wood. IIRC, Wood has a negative multiplier to value, but is easier to work with. Gold/Silver have a positive bonus to beauty and value, but are harder to work with.

Well, I'm not about to use good steel or plasteel (unless there are good veins, it's a bitch even getting enough from traders to get off the planet!) for art installations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tias posted:

Well, I'm not about to use good steel or plasteel (unless there are good veins, it's a bitch even getting enough from traders to get off the planet!) for art installations.

Well, the alternative is using a indoor growing op to grow fabrics and Chinese Sweatshop out clothing. It helps your colonist's mood if they're lookin' fine in some nice clothing, and high quality clothing sells well, and doesn't eat into your metals/wood

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played in a while, but making sculptures out of granite/other rocks was always lucrative if you had someone good at it. I never used wood or gold.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sell corn in bulk. Corn sells for like 50 cents per unit and it's pretty easy to grow very, very large amounts of corn once you get your farming and food supply stable.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tsyni posted:

I haven't played in a while, but making sculptures out of granite/other rocks was always lucrative if you had someone good at it. I never used wood or gold.

The main issue is that rock takes 4 and half times as long to make, so on a grand sculpture you can be looking at several ingame months, depending on how much sculpting time your crafter gets between other tasks.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Conot posted:

The main issue is that rock takes 4 and half times as long to make, so on a grand sculpture you can be looking at several ingame months, depending on how much sculpting time your crafter gets between other tasks.

Well poo poo, that explains that.

:downs:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Well poo poo, that explains that.

:downs:

In my current colony, I'm mostly just making stoneblocks to sell to clear up dumping grounds.

Basically Wood is what you use to train someone up on crafting, steel is what you use if you're short on gold/silver, gold/silver is what you use when you wanna make legendary statues worth 5k+.

The mod pack thats linked in the OP has some new, crafting only materials like copper, that are useful because you're not gonna need them for anything else.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Honestly, I haven't really faffed about with sculpting that much because usually I'm busy being bad at the game and putting out infinity minor disasters due to me planning terribly and so nobody has time for art.

Thus, when someone inevitably -does- start a granite sculpture, the work time is very noticeable

Tias
May 25, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Honestly, I haven't really faffed about with sculpting that much because usually I'm busy being bad at the game and putting out infinity minor disasters due to me planning terribly and so nobody has time for art.

Thus, when someone inevitably -does- start a granite sculpture, the work time is very noticeable

Unless it bothers you ethically, consider the "prepare carefully" mod. It lets you tweak characters and starting loadout as little or as much as you'd like, to gain a balanced party.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tias posted:

Unless it bothers you ethically, consider the "prepare carefully" mod. It lets you tweak characters and starting loadout as little or as much as you'd like, to gain a balanced party.

It bothers me ethically. If I don't have to reroll characters for 30 minutes I'm not playing the game right :goonsay:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ChickenWing posted:

It bothers me ethically. If I don't have to reroll characters for 30 minutes I'm not playing the game right :goonsay:

I wish there were a simpler mod that just lets me choose some skills and moods and then start playing. It's nearly as long to set up a loadout in that mod than it is to find something decent randomly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Conot posted:

In my current colony, I'm mostly just making stoneblocks to sell to clear up dumping grounds.

Basically Wood is what you use to train someone up on crafting, steel is what you use if you're short on gold/silver, gold/silver is what you use when you wanna make legendary statues worth 5k+.

The mod pack thats linked in the OP has some new, crafting only materials like copper, that are useful because you're not gonna need them for anything else.

Have you honestly found yourself turning a profit on gold/silver statues? I had my 20 artist making stuff out of gold/silver and found that I could just sell the gold or silver for more than the statue was worth unless it was legendary. Over the course of 10 statues I at best broke even.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Lorini posted:

I wish there were a simpler mod that just lets me choose some skills and moods and then start playing. It's nearly as long to set up a loadout in that mod than it is to find something decent randomly.

Yeah that's my real problem - I don't want to nitpick every little bit of the process, I enjoy randomization. I just want to make sure that my three starters have decent skills in the important crap, no serious health problems, and aren't all manic depressive neurotic psychopaths

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lorini posted:

You can save the loadout so you only really need to do it once

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Azhais posted:

Have you honestly found yourself turning a profit on gold/silver statues? I had my 20 artist making stuff out of gold/silver and found that I could just sell the gold or silver for more than the statue was worth unless it was legendary. Over the course of 10 statues I at best broke even.

Bear in mind that your prices from a vendor will depend on the colonist making the sale. A 15+ Socialite should be getting you profit on the deal.

Also, a neat thing, if your socialite has Abrasive it massively tanks their ability to improve relations with other groups when they're visiting! The other colonist's all hated me before I figured out the issue

Tias
May 25, 2008

Azhais posted:

You can save the loadout so you only really need to do it once

This. Set up two-four balanced or fun colonist templates when you have a little time to burn, then you can just load them whenever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tias posted:

This. Set up two-four balanced or fun colonist templates when you have a little time to burn, then you can just load them whenever.

That all said I wish you could just type numbers into the goddamn prepare carefully window. It's horrible if you want to add like 1000 wood to the default loadout

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Azhais posted:

That all said I wish you could just type numbers into the goddamn prepare carefully window. It's horrible if you want to add like 1000 wood to the default loadout

As has been discussed, this is a limitation of the game engine itself. I guess Tynan just really hates keyboards :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tias posted:

But for a newbie, there's no way of knowing what that balanced template is, which is why I gave up. I'm just trying to get started in a way where I can live past building a kitchen :).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Azhais posted:

You can use shift while clicking to at least speed it up a bit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You can use shift while clicking to at least speed it up a bit.

I just wish you could do the same on the trade screen :negative:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's actually easier and quicker on the trade screen. Click once and then drag the number of goods being traded.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lorini posted:

But for a newbie, there's no way of knowing what that balanced template is, which is why I gave up. I'm just trying to get started in a way where I can live past building a kitchen :).

Just make sure they don't have horrible injuries (a scar is fine) or really bad traits, and that while they might not be good at everything they're at least capable to do anything. Watch out for that 'incapable: none' and you should be okay, although you should have someone fairly good at medicine, cooking and growing so your colonists don't die from starvation or injuries. That way, even if a colonist dies or is incapacitated the others can at least pick up the slack although it will be less efficient.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lorini posted:

You need:
- At least one colonist who can handle a rifle
- not painfully low rates of construction and mining
- At least one colonist with high social, and one with relatively high research.
- Try to avoid older colonists, and colonists who are neurotic, psychically hypersensitive and other disadvantages that scream 'imma have a mental breakdown right off the bat'.

Also, I would contend that you should avoid backgrounds that render colonists incapable of doing important things. Often I've dropped before realizing that none of my colonists can be told to clean or maybe I only have one miner or one hauler. That poo poo is crazy annoying. Whereas you can get by with a single colonist refusing to do dumb labor, more than one slows the game to a horrible grind.

E: also, skilled growers can be really handy.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's actually easier and quicker on the trade screen. Click once and then drag the number of goods being traded.

You can click-drag in prepare carefully too, I added 1000 silver to my starting loadout easily.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

My recommendation would be to not use the one in Inacio's modpack as I had your problem too.

The newer version is both more attractive to look at and less buggy, I think. You can just delete the old version and install the new one on top of the modpack.

Good news everyone, I've discovered the problem with my ducts: Inacio's modpack doesn't have the Community Core Library in it :v:

I upgraded RedistHeat and it worked even worse than the old one, then I decided to just start over and make my own modpack and discovered the missing library. Just added that and everything started working.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Azhais posted:

Good news everyone, I've discovered the problem with my ducts: Inacio's modpack doesn't have the Community Core Library in it :v:

I upgraded RedistHeat and it worked even worse than the old one, then I decided to just start over and make my own modpack and discovered the missing library. Just added that and everything started working.

Cheers. Now I have to go find that on ludeons forums. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Conot posted:

Cheers. Now I have to go find that on ludeons forums. :gonk:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14172.0