Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

Have you encountered any forgotten beasts or titans? They can have randomly generated syndromes, the side effects of which can include making dwarves rot away to nothing. Alternatively, are you in an evil biome of any kind? Those have randomly generated rains with similar potential effects, among other fun things.

Nah man, neutral biome (typical wilds). No funny rain and it didn't spawn anything except your bog standard goblin ambushes and snatchers. I just had a tantrum death spiral so we're basically done here...but it was fascinating while it was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lawman 0 posted:

I want to goldmine this post.

Also on the same topic I have this dwarf skull floating above my entrance for some reason and every so often one of my dwarves looks up when they go inside and freeze in terror as they see the spooky hammerdwarf skull. This hilariously includes most of my military who proceed to piss themselves in terror esxcept for the guys who actually have kills to their name. :thumbsup:

To be fair, if I saw the skull of a bro randomly hanging in the air, I'd probably poo poo myself too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You're not running Masterwork with the horrible wasting diseases on, are you?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's one thing I can think of. Someone who peacefully visited your fortress might have been a demon pretending to be a dwarf/human/elf. If they puffed a disease cloud or two without you noticing, they could have infected a lot of dwarves. In addition, it could be that the vomiting was an early symptom of the rot disease. Increase the size of your hospital, check the descriptions of all your dwarfs and their skill levels, in case that demon is actually in the fortress (could be a part of the new "fun" stuff toady was talking about), and try to find something that the infected dwarves have in common. It might give you a clue.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheRamblingSoul posted:

To be fair, if I saw the skull of a bro randomly hanging in the air, I'd probably poo poo myself too.

The rest of his body was gone as well so he came back as a ghost so maybe they think the skull is still haunted.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Experiment: Dragon Adventurer is a go!

Successfully added the entity to the raws, and re-genned a new world, allowing me to become a dragon. I spawned on top of an elven retreat, and everyone around immediately bolted in terror, until I told one in no uncertain terms to sit down and shut up. He didn't have anything interesting to say, sadly.

I quickly learned that dragons do not have hands, according to the game, and thus cannot climb. Fortunately they can jump out of trees with no ill-effects.

I Traveled a bit and set about on a training regimen, to buff myself up in preparation for storming a castle. I can report that dragonfire as an ability is intact, I will test later on moving targets. Dragon adventurers, as a note, get hungry and thirsty.

Unfortunately, they also don't progress any skills. I'm guessing I need to add [INTELLIGENT] and [CAN_LEARN] to the creature raws? Where even are the megabeast files, I couldn't find them on my first sweep.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
The dragon raws are in creature_standard

Also I've heard a couple times of goblins spawning with syndrome-causing contaminants on them or on their weapons, so that might have been what happened? Never seen it personally, though.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Is there any tutorial or mod how to play as different races in adventure mode? I'd like to try out playing a colossus in the new version.

Is there a mod that just adds a ton of different races to play around with in adv. mode?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Delerion posted:

Is there any tutorial or mod how to play as different races in adventure mode? I'd like to try out playing a colossus in the new version.

Elth posted:

Through the magic of RAW editing, you can be anything your heart desires! Add this to your entity_default.txt file in the raw/object folder:

code:
[ENTITY:CHEATING]
	[CREATURE:x]
	[TRANSLATION:DWARF]
	[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
And replace "x" by whatever creature you want as defined by the creature_x.txt files! Want to be a cute little ball of fluff? [CREATURE:WAMBLER_FLUFFY] is what you put in. Want to be a dragon? Then you need [CREATURE:DRAGON].

Of course you need to generate a new world for these changes to take effect. I don't think there's anything stopping you from adding multiple entities like that for each creature you want to play as in the same world, but the entities themselves probably need to have different names (CHEATING1, CHEATING2 etc).

Also keep in mind that doing it this way won't let you actually stake a claim over a site. I don't know enough about the new system and RAW editing to figure out how that's even possible. Other than like, replacing humans with dragons or whatever. That'd be quite a sight.

:iit:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
So, wait, if I replace all dwarves with slade colossi, can I play Colossus Fortress?

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Thanks!

Should have just edited my first post, oh well.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

So, wait, if I replace all dwarves with slade colossi, can I play Colossus Fortress?

Yes.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

my dad posted:

There's one thing I can think of. Someone who peacefully visited your fortress might have been a demon pretending to be a dwarf/human/elf. If they puffed a disease cloud or two without you noticing, they could have infected a lot of dwarves. In addition, it could be that the vomiting was an early symptom of the rot disease. Increase the size of your hospital, check the descriptions of all your dwarfs and their skill levels, in case that demon is actually in the fortress (could be a part of the new "fun" stuff toady was talking about), and try to find something that the infected dwarves have in common. It might give you a clue.

Oh my god, so that's why that one guy's fortress outpost liason inexplicably turned into that horrible living rotted miasma-spewing thing like ten pages back! (Remember, the one that triggered a loyalty cascade?) If it was a caravan guard or something, of course it would only have been the outpost liason who got infected. :ms:

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
DF is my go-to work break game now. Update on my guy who almost died from thirst because it was winter: Walked into some night creatures in the daytime in the forest for the first time (it's been a while since I played a new version of adventure mode)...

:stare:

The lucky part of the encounter was that after zipping past me and butchering my two followers effortlessly with its bare hands, it ran off to murder some wildlife giving me time to escape. I'm now traumatized and hiding in a bandit village.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

scamtank posted:

You're not running Masterwork with the horrible wasting diseases on, are you?

Oh poo poo...I never even thought of that. I am running Masterwork.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Hahahahahahahaha :allears:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
People familiar with modding: If I add a reaction that is exactly the same as an existing reaction, will it interfere with the existing one? I want to re-add hotkeys to kitchen meals to make them easier to assign en mass, but it looks like they are hardcoded so I can't just modify the existing reactionss

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The string dump tells me there are hotkey hooks for the hardcoded reactions. Look in the keybinds.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Dragon adventurer testing continues. Adding the [INTELLIGENT] tag indeed allowed me to learn skills through practice, but when I came across a necromancer tower I found a new problem: because dragons have no hands, they cannot do fun things like pick up anything, meaning no grabbing things to eat, no picking up slabs, and no reading.

How do I change a dragon's forelimbs to act as fine manipulators?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Any sign of a Lazy newb pack equivalent yet?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Give the front feet [GRASP] tokens.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

If you get this dragon any more ridiculously awesome, you will be required to release it as a "dwarves of might and magic" mod.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

What decides how many dragons get put in the game? I'm always depressed to see "Astil Swiftclaws the Jewel of Flame was a female dragon, the only one of her kind." followed by "In 62 Astil Swiftclaws was devoured by an Elf Weaver in Hippytrees"

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Thankfully it's too stupid to find the entrance to my fort so it's just walking around blasting it's noxious secretions in the caverns. Seems like a friendly chap.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

StrangeAeon posted:

Dragon adventurer testing continues.
Add to your dragon mod something about happiness derived from accumulating wealth, now your ultimate quest is to set up a den somewhere full of riches. I don't know, maybe people will try to appease you by giving you their stuff? Maybe you can kill and eat them regardless.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

scamtank posted:

The string dump tells me there are hotkey hooks for the hardcoded reactions. Look in the keybinds.

Weird. According to the hotkeys file, the kitchen should have hotkeys for meals. But it doesn't.

*EDIT*
Nevermind. The hotkey for render fat is supposed to be f but it's r in game, so I don't know where I should be looking for these hotkeys.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 19, 2014

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yup. If it's not a disease, it's probably a warlock sneaking around your fort entrance that casts a rotting spell on any dwarf or pet in sight. Look in your combat reports for creature names that are not in the unit list.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh.

Oh no.

Everything's hosed.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Give the front feet [GRASP] tokens.

Can't seem to find a place to put it. The raws say it uses [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE], which is my best clue, but I don't want to muck about with every other clawed being and suddenly have every beast in the world grow opposeable thumbs.

And I'd love to give them happiness strings and motivations, but I've really never read code before so this is all new to me.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh.

Oh no.

Everything's hosed.

So, what caused it?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GenericOverusedName posted:

So, what caused it?

I assume it was this:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Thankfully it's too stupid to find the entrance to my fort so it's just walking around blasting it's noxious secretions in the caverns. Seems like a friendly chap.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh.

Oh no.

Everything's hosed.

The fortress of the 1% had it coming. Only Bourgeoisie shitbags live in 3x3 rooms

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ever since I learned that the economy was disabled I give all my dwarves huge rooms instead of 1x3 shitholes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

The fortress of the 1% had it coming. Only Bourgeoisie shitbags live in 3x3 rooms

Live? Those are coffins. (all my dwarves have 3x3 rooms though :ohdear:)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

All I can think when I look at the guy on the far right is :iit:.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
All my dwarves live in 1 tile hovels until they do something to make themselves worthy of a better room. Such is life in Goldstandards

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

What the hell is a dwarf supposed to do with all that room? You just need enough space for a bed, a cabinet, and maybe a chest. What else are you gonna put there? A fancy bookcase? What the hell is a book? What, you think you're a prissy noble? Gonna start demanding crystal glass windows and silk ropes to put in your stupid huge room? Go back to work and don't forget to grab a meal worth more than any craft you ever produced to go eat in the dining room made entirely out of gold, rear end in a top hat.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Can't seem to find a place to put it. The raws say it uses [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE], which is my best clue, but I don't want to muck about with every other clawed being and suddenly have every beast in the world grow opposeable thumbs.

And I'd love to give them happiness strings and motivations, but I've really never read code before so this is all new to me.

The most elegant way would be to make make this change in the dragon's raws, since there's already a body plan just for this kind of thing:

[BONECARN]
[PREFSTRING:terrible majesty]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK->QUADRUPED_NECK_FRONT_GRASP:TAIL:2EYES:...]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]

...but I'm not confident that it sticks on already creatures that are already "there".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This reclaimed fortress is surrounded by seven necromancer towers, a goblin civ I'm at war with, was conquered by a forgotten beast, and is in an evil biome. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nah man, neutral biome (typical wilds). No funny rain and it didn't spawn anything except your bog standard goblin ambushes and snatchers. I just had a tantrum death spiral so we're basically done here...but it was fascinating while it was going on.

Did you have a decontamination chamber at the entrance to your fort, or at least the entrance to your hospital? In older versions they were only really necessary in evil biomes, but I always build one just in case of forgotten beasts.