Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
maybe I'm just curious to see what C&P likes about Arch because I've already used debian/ubuntu/fedora/centos pretty extensively vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because it has the newest gnome 3 in pacman ffs can you read

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pram posted:

because it has the newest gnome 3 in pacman ffs can you read

that's like moving to sierra leone because they have the newest ebola

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

that's like moving to sierra leone because they have the newest ebola

last week you could've just gone to texas

so what I'm saying is, install os x

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Joey Hess and Colin Watson are resigning from Debian-CTTE/Debian as of this week. Ian Jackson strikes again.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ruby idiot railed posted:

Joey Hess and Colin Watson are resigning from Debian-CTTE/Debian as of this week. Ian Jackson strikes again.

wait what

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

without waiting for systemd gr 2.0 to finish ian jackson threw up another 'unfunded mandate' type of bullshit in debian-ctte and the ctte voted

people are loving pissed

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ruby idiot railed posted:

Colin Watson posted:

I hereby declare my intent to resign from the Debian Technical
Committee. The Constitution doesn't really have a clear procedure for
handling resignations here; I expect the TC will want to appoint a new
member, which I appreciate might take a while. Subject to advice from
the DPL and/or the TC Chair, I'd be willing to stay in post until no
later than the end of January or until a new member is appointed, or
alternatively to have my resignation take effect immediately. Let me
know what seems best.

I appreciate that the timing is such that this looks like a response to
Joey's mails, or perhaps to some other recent discussions. That isn't
the case. I've been doing a good deal of refactoring of my life
recently as a result of realising that I was burning out [1], and right
now it's important that I make an effort to spend my Debian time on
things I find relaxing rather than things I've been finding stressful.
I also feel that I haven't been able to give as much time to the TC as
I'd hoped I would be able to, and I think the project deserves to have
somebody who can take a more active part.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/11/msg00052.html

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the most pathetic drama

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
since there's a tangential link to systemd, i'm gonna blame poettering again. debian and linux in general were doing just fine before he came along with his dumb ideas like "hurf durf what if we tried to make this into an os normal people would want to use"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux should have switched to launchd like 8 years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

linux should have switched to smf like 8 years ago

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I hereby declare my intent to resign from the Debian Technical Committee.

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

I hereby declare my intent to resign from the Debian Technical Committee.

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

*tens of people care*

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

*tens of people care*

i dunno that id go that far

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

linux should have switched to launchd like 8 years ago

it was so funny learning about this "dbus" thing that Linux evidently uses now because they have neither launchd nor a real IPC system underneath.

should have moved to a colocated microkernel a long time ago to handle task/thread scheduling, VM and IPC. Mach is awesome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
XNU is slowly moving away from Mach towards a more monolithic kernel out of performance and stability reasons.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

XNU is slowly moving away from Mach towards a more monolithic kernel out of performance and stability reasons.

who's been claiming that?

NeXT always used a colocated kernel model for performance, and xnu continues with that today. perhaps someone misinterpreted that as "Mach is going away"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
more like cloacated kernel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this but unironically

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in the 80s bsd was originally grafted to mach so that people hacking on mach components would have a host for tools and compilers and poo poo. it ran unix applications like poo poo, and that was just fine, because it was never intended to work well

the OSF and NeXT, inc both saw this as an opportunity to bodge up a unix kernel on the cheap. both proceeded to make the worst unix systems ever seen

in the early 90s, cs.utah.edu researchers published their "INKS" work -- "in-kernel servers." it completely totally abnegated the advantages of mach. it made mach the most pointless thing ever written. but it brought mach-unix hybrid performance penalties down from 1000x to merely 100x worse than the competition

that's where osx came from

xnu is a tumorous growth that should have been excised but it's too late now

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i wish u were excised from existence

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

it was so funny learning about this "dbus" thing that Linux evidently uses now because they have neither launchd nor a real IPC system underneath.

linux has sysV IPC and sysV SHM. they just weren't needed for dbus. unix domain sockets are a simple and robust ipc system

eschaton posted:

should have moved to a colocated microkernel a long time ago to handle task/thread scheduling, VM and IPC. Mach is awesome.

mach was an awesome research project that explored some really cool topics. unfortunately it is not a very good basis for a unix kernel

mach threading and mach IPC just make it much harder to correctly/performantly implement POSIX threading and SysV IPC

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i learned a new word 2day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

abjure is better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
Groupon Launches Gnome™ ­­— A Tablet Solution that Helps Merchants Run Their Business and Connect with Customers

http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux should have switched to smf like 8 years ago

agreed, smf was so good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Groupon Launches Gnome™ ­­— A Tablet Solution that Helps Merchants Run Their Business and Connect with Customers

http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707

lwn
The GNOME Foundation, by virtue of having used that name since the 1990's and having trademarked it in 2006, objects strongly to what it sees as a blatant infringement of its trademark. The organization is scrambling to file its opposition to GroupOn's new trademark filings, but that takes work — and money. So there is now a fund-raising effort in the works to help make this opposition happen. "Help us raise the funds to fight back and most of all call public attention to this terrible behavior by Groupon. Help us make sure that when people hear about GNOME software they learn about freedom and not proprietary software. Our counsel has advised us that we will need $80,000 to oppose the registration of the first set of 10 applications. If we are able to defend the mark without spending this amount, we will use the remaining funds to bolster and improve GNOME."

i think theyd have good luck if their campaign was simply called 'gently caress groupon', theyd probably get a ton of shat-on businesses to donate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

agreed, smf was so good

i have looked at porting smf to linux, but it relies heavily upon solaris 'doors.' the last working implementation of doors for linux was in the 2.4.x era, some dude's graduate thesis

i don't see myself cleaning up 10 year old kernel code

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

lwn
The GNOME Foundation, by virtue of having used that name since the 1990's and having trademarked it in 2006, objects strongly to what it sees as a blatant infringement of its trademark. The organization is scrambling to file its opposition to GroupOn's new trademark filings, but that takes work — and money. So there is now a fund-raising effort in the works to help make this opposition happen. "Help us raise the funds to fight back and most of all call public attention to this terrible behavior by Groupon. Help us make sure that when people hear about GNOME software they learn about freedom and not proprietary software. Our counsel has advised us that we will need $80,000 to oppose the registration of the first set of 10 applications. If we are able to defend the mark without spending this amount, we will use the remaining funds to bolster and improve GNOME."

i think theyd have good luck if their campaign was simply called 'gently caress groupon', theyd probably get a ton of shat-on businesses to donate

i find it amusing that they think anyone will donate to defend their trademark

countdown to gnome project changing its name

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lmfao

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
the real target is probably giving redhat a feel good marketing opportunity to step in

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

This but the opposite.

https://www.groupon.com/blog/cities/gnome-update

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
:siren: :words: :siren:

Silver Alicorn posted:

maybe I'm just curious to see what C&P likes about Arch because I've already used debian/ubuntu/fedora/centos pretty extensively vOv

arch is really just a couple little scripts/programs to help you put a basic linux system in place on a machine, and a package manager.

arch doesn't gently caress with the software before shipping it out to you. if you install it from the arch repos, it's as if you downloaded the source, extracted/configure/make/make install'd it, but with the benefits of a package manager

the aur isn't perfect, but its vastly superior to PPAs and other unofficial repositories. it's difficult to express how good it is. compiling software sucks, but the majority of what's there is mostly supplemental software that only takes a minute to build. everything from old dos shareware games on down to garbage deviantart themes for your desktop are covered in the aur. i don't think there's a distribution out there that can match it in size, quality or freshness.

there's no real distro drama to speak of. the wiki is really good. here's a particularly good example. i reference the wiki even when i'm working with other distros. the forums are terrible, though.

surprisingly, steam works great on arch. when it was new, there were some games that wouldn't start, but i haven't seen that in months.

yes, sometimes poo poo breaks, but it gets posted on the homepage in advance, so just get in the habit of checking the homepage before you run an upgrade and you'll be fine. no changes they've ever forced me to manually commit took more than five minutes to complete.

i know everyone's got different levels of commitment to this sort of thing, but i weighed the pros and cons and decided to stick around. the two biggest reasons i stick with arch are 1) how quickly major gnome releases are available and 2) the aur.

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 11, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
sry bsd mach may be a lovely microkernal (not rly, rick rashid is ownage) but l4 can actually speed up unix compared to no ipc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tanenbaum was right

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

c&p, why not go all in and use gentoo if you like aur?

gentoo could use people like you that were passionate about gnome, the official portage tree is still on 3.12.

posting this from gnome 3.12 @ gentoo atm

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Thanks for flying Gentoo.