Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's popped up a few times before: Allison has a taste for hunks but is absolutely terrified of intimacy, since she's terrified of not having control in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She also has no idea how to interact with regular people. Alison is basically a huge goon.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

idonotlikepeas posted:

She also has no idea how to interact with regular people. Alison is basically a huge goon.

This goes a long way toward explaining this comic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

idonotlikepeas posted:

She also The author has no idea how to interact with regular people. Alison The author is basically a huge goon.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm trying to remember if Superman has ever been straight up flirted with / seduced by someone whose life he just saved.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
To be honest I'm pretty surprised Alison is so a-flutter over this, although I guess she hadn't ever spent a lot of time doing plain old life-saving before :shrug: It's entertaining though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's no way her hands are on his butt in the first panel.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
His metahuman abnormality is that his butt is around his shoulder blades, they can't all be winners.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
To any budding comic artists reading this thread: please don't offer "appearances" in your comic in exchange for Kickstarter money. A shot in a crowd is fine, but drat near an entire page (out of a two-page-per-week-comic) just talking to some lady who makes cupcakes because she gave you $200 is not doing your pacing or your story any favors.

Edit: I mean, I get it. How artists get paid is an old, old question and flattering the egos of people with money has been an answer to it for some time. (Kickstarter backer reward, Borgia Level - 50,000 florins - I'll paint your face on Jesus!) I just think there are better ways to do it than giving someone's avatar a speaking scene.

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 19, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think this comic decided it didn't care about pacing a good long time ago.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I think this comic decided it didn't care about pacing a good long time ago.

A long time? It was only last chapter. :v:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm fine with a relaxed pace after the clusterfuck of the last issue; after all they're currently setting things up and introducing a new paradigm rather than sitting around when a serial killer is murdering dozens of people because really what is morality, maaaan.

I am not, however, okay with Allison enjoying a mocha flavoured cupcake. No good person enjoys mocha flavour.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

To any budding comic artists reading this thread: please don't offer "appearances" in your comic in exchange for Kickstarter money. A shot in a crowd is fine, but drat near an entire page (out of a two-page-per-week-comic) just talking to some lady who makes cupcakes because she gave you $200 is not doing your pacing or your story any favors.

Edit: I mean, I get it. How artists get paid is an old, old question and flattering the egos of people with money has been an answer to it for some time. (Kickstarter backer reward, Borgia Level - 50,000 florins - I'll paint your face on Jesus!) I just think there are better ways to do it than giving someone's avatar a speaking scene.

Eh, it can work. OotS managed to do it without being too terrible about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm fine with a relaxed pace after the clusterfuck of the last issue; after all they're currently setting things up and introducing a new paradigm rather than sitting around when a serial killer is murdering dozens of people because really what is morality, maaaan.

I am not, however, okay with Allison enjoying a mocha flavoured cupcake. No good person enjoys mocha flavour.

You think Allison is a good person?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But now there's PROOF

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ManlyGrunting posted:

This is true, mocha is terrible.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Maybe the whole chapter is going to be just this, cameos for kickstarter backers

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's one way to get them out of the way without wrecking your pacing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I liked this page, because this world seems awfully empty if Allison only were to deal with the same small cast of characters. As the most famous demasked hero in the world, having her meet randos is a cool thing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone remind me what this comic is about I forgot.

PS: I'm the author.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's about eating cupcakes and being sorry.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"Can he talk to other wolves?"

"Yeah but not, like, persuasively." :v:

Comic should be like this all the time and not, uh, whatever last chapter was

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, I was going to say that line was the perfect amount of whimsy.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It was a loving great line. Yeah, turn in to a wolf, talk to other wolves, and they just constantly give you poo poo because your only superpower is to turn in to a wolf.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That reminds me of Krosp, emperor of all cats from Girl Genius.

There are a bunch of bears that follow his orders though. Go figure.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

"There goes that fucker whose only power is turning into a human being. Quick, pretend you can't understand him anymore."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh good, I was worried this was going to stay impossibly pleasant.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
He's enjoying a nice tall glass of I Told You So, ha ha

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Pintsize: still pretty much the best.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm so glad they're finally treating Pintsize with dignity again. :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't quite get what's going on in the last couple of pages, other than snatching Pintsize's dignity away again :shrug:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't quite get what's going on in the last couple of pages, other than snatching Pintsize's dignity away again :shrug:

Pintsize has done what Allison previously indicated he ought to do and made arrangements to use his shrink-magic to push the limits of science.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah I figured it's referring back to an earlier story point but I don't remember it at all. It seems weird that she's gloating about it, although of course Pintsize just did the same.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Well yeah I figured it's referring back to an earlier story point but I don't remember it at all. It seems weird that she's gloating about it, although of course Pintsize just did the same.

Specifically, she's dancing on his head because she was right all along.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I get that, that would explain the shoes drawn on top of his head, I mean what was she right about? I remember her having a conversation with Hector a while back but it didn't make a big impression on me - odd because I kind of expect it was the same conversation where Hector talked about super teams being a cool and good thing, and that stuck.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I get that, that would explain the shoes drawn on top of his head, I mean what was she right about? I remember her having a conversation with Hector a while back but it didn't make a big impression on me - odd because I kind of expect it was the same conversation where Hector talked about super teams being a cool and good thing, and that stuck.

He was gloating she made a super team.

She's gloating because he's doing something not superheroey (in the comic book sense) to better the world.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

How am I failing to communicate that a) I understand that both of them are gloating and in a general way, what they're gloating about and b) I do not remember the earlier strip that this seems to be associated with? Like, roughly what time period/page range?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

How am I failing to communicate that a) I understand that both of them are gloating and in a general way, what they're gloating about and b) I do not remember the earlier strip that this seems to be associated with? Like, roughly what time period/page range?

It was the last chapter after she talked with the bat head dude outside the guardian base. Pintsize said that he didn't want to do what she was telling him to do, that he just wanted to have fun doing something good with his friends, not slave away at scientific stuff that he didn't like and wasn't that good at. Honestly if he's decided to work on poo poo that he we categorically ruling out we have yet another offscreen 180 for this comic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, this.

I guess I see her point in gloating but imo his path is way better (fusion power to make fossil fuels obsolete vs. domestic disturbance patrol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess I see her point in gloating but imo his path is way better (fusion power to make fossil fuels obsolete vs. domestic disturbance patrol)

I suspect she would agree with you. The fact that Alison's powers are not actually that useful for changing the world in any meaningful way has come up a few times before.

• Locked thread