Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have heard of a package that simply said “GAIJIN NAME, Town in Nagasaki, Japan” and it got there #inakalife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Busy Bee posted:

Is there any issue to getting something shipped to a Japanese address that's addressed to someone that doesn't live there? I know its not an issue in the states but wondering if the Japanese postman would get confused and commit seppuku or whatever.

They won't deliver it unless you put c/o the person who actually lives there. They will be lazy with local and junk mail, but with an international package they will most likely require someone to go to the post office and show ID to pick it up. I had a relative send something to my infant son, and had to go to the post office to prove he existed and lived there. We had a similar issue when my husband first moved in.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

harperdc posted:

I have heard of a package that simply said “GAIJIN NAME, Town in Nagasaki, Japan” and it got there #inakalife

You're registered with the city so could also be that.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Is there some kind of City Pass I could use for museums or some other poo poo at a discount in Tokyo?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Talas posted:

Is there some kind of City Pass I could use for museums or some other poo poo at a discount in Tokyo?

Here you go! https://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-city-guides/tokyo-attractions#grutt

edit - The above link might be dated. Here is the official site. https://www.rekibun.or.jp/en/grutto/

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 8, 2018

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I mentioned earlier in the thread about wanting to ship a briefcase to the US. I'll be using Japan Post EMS and wondering about the custom duties that the recipient in the US may have to pay. Can I avoid that by marking the package as a gift? Is that risky? What are the cons of marking the used briefcase at a lower value than what the buyer paid?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Thank you, much appreciated!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm planning what I think is a really basic and uncreative 10 day trip in early April. I've never been to Japan before so please let me know if I'm doing anything stupid with this itinerary:

Arrive Narita, 5 nights Tokyo in a hotel near Akasaka-mitsuke Station
Possible day trip to Kamakura? Not sure if it's worth it
1 night Hakone (Hakone-machi)
4 nights Kyoto in a hotel in Nakagyo-ku
Was hoping to see Nara, but is it worth spending one of my 3 days here on a day trip? Last day is mostly travel.

My biggest worry is that I'm underestimating travel times or moving around too much. Was thinking a 7 day JR pass would probably pay for itself for Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto-Tokyo route.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread about wanting to ship a briefcase to the US. I'll be using Japan Post EMS and wondering about the custom duties that the recipient in the US may have to pay. Can I avoid that by marking the package as a gift? Is that risky? What are the cons of marking the used briefcase at a lower value than what the buyer paid?

Canada is rude about postal customs but the US isn't. It's pretty common to mark it as a gift but I wouldn't worry too much about anything under $100.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/126/~/mail---goods-requiring-duty
Note: Most personal shipments worth up to $800, and gift packages worth up to $100, will pass duty-free as long as the recipient does not receive multiple packages in a single day whose cumulative value is more than these amounts.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

Canada is rude about postal customs but the US isn't. It's pretty common to mark it as a gift but I wouldn't worry too much about anything under $100.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/126/~/mail---goods-requiring-duty
Note: Most personal shipments worth up to $800, and gift packages worth up to $100, will pass duty-free as long as the recipient does not receive multiple packages in a single day whose cumulative value is more than these amounts.

Thanks for the link and clarification. Although I'm not sure if Japan Post EMS will pass it on to USPS or UPS or FedEx when it arrives to the states. Anyway, what would be the difference if I mark it as a gift as opposed to marking it for the actual value? Is the only risk if the package gets lost and I have to claim insurance on it?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just do it honestly because it's your customer's problem, lol.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Thanks for the link and clarification. Although I'm not sure if Japan Post EMS will pass it on to USPS or UPS or FedEx when it arrives to the states. Anyway, what would be the difference if I mark it as a gift as opposed to marking it for the actual value? Is the only risk if the package gets lost and I have to claim insurance on it?

Japan Post EMS passes it to USPS, and yes, if you undervalue it, it will be insured for less.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 8, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm planning what I think is a really basic and uncreative 10 day trip in early April. I've never been to Japan before so please let me know if I'm doing anything stupid with this itinerary:

Arrive Narita, 5 nights Tokyo in a hotel near Akasaka-mitsuke Station
Possible day trip to Kamakura? Not sure if it's worth it
1 night Hakone (Hakone-machi)
4 nights Kyoto in a hotel in Nakagyo-ku
Was hoping to see Nara, but is it worth spending one of my 3 days here on a day trip? Last day is mostly travel.

My biggest worry is that I'm underestimating travel times or moving around too much. Was thinking a 7 day JR pass would probably pay for itself for Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto-Tokyo route.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

You can easily do a part-day at Kamakura on your way to Hakone—it’s on the way down the southern coast. Hakone itself isn’t on JR lines, but nearby Odawara is, so you can easily pay separately for the non-JR train part of the trip.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kamakura is decent, and if you want to see crazy Asian anime fans over some 90's show stop by Enoshima. The beach there is the opening scene of Slam Dunk.

Oh and skip Hakone and go to Nikko instead

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I want to open a fat camp for weeaboos in the countryside and hire local ojisans to make them do repetitive tasks like Mr. Miyagi. How much should I charge for this service?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Ned posted:

I want to open a fat camp for weeaboos in the countryside and hire local ojisans to make them do repetitive tasks like Mr. Miyagi. How much should I charge for this service?

The ojisans will probably be willing to pay you.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LyonsLions posted:

The ojisans will probably be willing to pay you.

I have actually been thinking about this idea quite a bit. If you can't lose weight in the Japanese countryside you are never going to lose weight. But basically I'd want to buy an old Japanese house with a decent amount of land and have 5 people at a time staying there and learning Japanese and how to cook healthy Japanese food while doing poo poo to make a nice garden.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Ned posted:

I have actually been thinking about this idea quite a bit. If you can't lose weight in the Japanese countryside you are never going to lose weight. But basically I'd want to buy an old Japanese house with a decent amount of land and have 5 people at a time staying there and learning Japanese and how to cook healthy Japanese food while doing poo poo to make a nice garden.

I think it's a good idea. My comment was more in regards to the ojisans who love to tell people what to do so much that they would pay for the privilege. And the obasans will teach cooking lessons for free, because they will be so happy to have someone listen to their advice, unlike their ungrateful daughters-in-law. No staff costs, it's genius.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LyonsLions posted:

I think it's a good idea. My comment was more in regards to the ojisans who love to tell people what to do so much that they would pay for the privilege. And the obasans will teach cooking lessons for free, because they will be so happy to have someone listen to their advice, unlike their ungrateful daughters-in-law. No staff costs, it's genius.

Yeah, I think if you get people in the community on board it is an easy win. Might even be able to find a city with a big old house they'd be willing to donate or sell super cheap.

20 million yen for this place - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-32000900000348/

18 million for this one - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-1194040091268/

15.5 for this - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-1103710000131/

Those would all be under 100,000 a month with a mortgage but the property taxes might be a bitch.

But I think it would be possible to charge 1k USD a week and 10k for 3 months.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
This already kind of exists: https://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ned posted:

Yeah, I think if you get people in the community on board it is an easy win. Might even be able to find a city with a big old house they'd be willing to donate or sell super cheap.

20 million yen for this place - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-32000900000348/

18 million for this one - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-1194040091268/

15.5 for this - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-1103710000131/

Those would all be under 100,000 a month with a mortgage but the property taxes might be a bitch.

But I think it would be possible to charge 1k USD a week and 10k for 3 months.

Me IRL: Holy poo poo those are fabulous houses and if I could get something like that at a reasonable price here in the states next to a good asian supermarket I would be done and loving retire right now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can get abandoned land and houses for stupid cheap.
https://www.e-iju.net/akiya/public/Top

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Me IRL: Holy poo poo those are fabulous houses and if I could get something like that at a reasonable price here in the states next to a good asian supermarket I would be done and loving retire right now.

You'd better be rich, able to work 100% remote, or willing to run a fat camp for weeaboos.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You probably earn more money buying a funeral parlour.

Those houses look nice but it’s like getting a nice cheap house in Detroit. The area is suffering from massive depopulation and urban/rural decay

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Upkeep ain't cheap either, especially with all that tatami.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Pretty much.

But it's 1.7m for a house here these days, in USD. Also, you can do way worse than ibaraki-ken.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
So basically Hawaii Goon Farm 2: Animeland, but you charge people?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmk if you need any help with a zip line

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The concept is good, someone else do all prep work and I'll translate the website.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

If I was going to stop at one town on the train route from Kii-Katsuura to Tokyo (ideally roughly halfway, for a day), what would people recommend?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I just like the idea of having some land about an hour and a half outside of Tokyo with a decent sized house on it. Could be a lot of fun.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

gschmidl posted:

If I was going to stop at one town on the train route from Kii-Katsuura to Tokyo (ideally roughly halfway, for a day), what would people recommend?

Will you have already stopped at Ise?

Otherwise, Nagoya.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone got shopping tips for Tokyo? Specifically after silk scarves. Shibori, or regular scarves are all ok. Is there a scarf district like there is for everything else? Google isn't much help.

Nothing too high end, $150usd is about as high as I wanna go.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Try ginza in the street where all the fancy sushi shops and kimono stores are at. There were a few places selling scarves as well near kyubei sushi

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

caberham posted:

Try ginza in the street where all the fancy sushi shops and kimono stores are at. There were a few places selling scarves as well near kyubei sushi

Cool thanks. I found a nice place near omotesando station to check out too. We have 6 days so plenty of time to find something.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm going to Tokyo for the first time in late April for 10 days. I was looking at hotels and the Shinagawa Prince Hotel seems to be the most recommended one, but I'm just wondering if you guys had any advice or knew of reasons I should avoid the place.

I'm also thinking of spending a night down in Kyoto, so I'm wondering if you have any advice for a hotel down there that's ok for people who don't speak Japanese.

Also I want to try and get to Nagashima Spa Land, I have no diea about train routes so would that be easy to do on the way back from Kyoto?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Icedude posted:

I'm going to Tokyo for the first time in late April for 10 days. I was looking at hotels and the Shinagawa Prince Hotel seems to be the most recommended one, but I'm just wondering if you guys had any advice or knew of reasons I should avoid the place.

I'm also thinking of spending a night down in Kyoto, so I'm wondering if you have any advice for a hotel down there that's ok for people who don't speak Japanese.

Also I want to try and get to Nagashima Spa Land, I have no diea about train routes so would that be easy to do on the way back from Kyoto?

If you are going to take the time to go to Kyoto, I would budget more time. Kyoto alone is worth a few days, and Nara is worth at least a day trip as well. You may also want to pop into Osaka as well.

As far as Nagashima Spa Land, it would be very easy to do. Just take the Shinkansen to Nagoya station from Kyoto station. From Nagoya station catch a train to Kuwano, then a bus over to Nagashima.

Nagashima's site has this documented, http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp/page.jsp?id=14949
Also Google Maps works very well for plotting out train/bus routes in Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Or just do an afternoon at Spa World inside Osaka.

Shinagawa Prince Hotel is the core of a shopping mall directly opposite Shinagawa station. Convenient for the Narita Express, Yamanote line, mall restaurants and the Aqua Park aquarium (it's more about entertainment than zoology) but full of people, so many people, in every direction.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

Or just do an afternoon at Spa World inside Osaka.

Shinagawa Prince Hotel is the core of a shopping mall directly opposite Shinagawa station. Convenient for the Narita Express, Yamanote line, mall restaurants and the Aqua Park aquarium (it's more about entertainment than zoology) but full of people, so many people, in every direction.

And the shinkansen too. But to be honest I'm not a fan of the Shinagawa Prince Hotel - a little outdated and the neighborhood seemed a little bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

And the shinkansen too. But to be honest I'm not a fan of the Shinagawa Prince Hotel - a little outdated and the neighborhood seemed a little bland.

That side of Shinagawa Station is all hotels, the other is offices and local izakaya/bars. Not great for tourists, but considering the location it’s useful to head everywhere else from there and still be able to get home late.