Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Friendly Fire posted:

Flashing Blade specifies you make basic attacks.

Beat back only works during your combat action though so if you Flashing Blade outside of that it doesn't trigger.

At what point would a flashing blade be outside of the combat action? Only times I can think of is if you do it before moving, or if you have to sac your combat action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

chutche2 posted:

At what point would a flashing blade be outside of the combat action? Only times I can think of is if you do it before moving, or if you have to sac your combat action.

Pretty much only those times but Flashing Blade is quite often used to attack during those times so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Jimmy Hats posted:

They can instantly make high shields good just by rolling the UAs abilities into the base unit.

Yeah that'd do it. I hope the dwarfs get the +4 deployment bonus from the contract back eventually, that was a nice bonus if you liked playing an all dwarf army.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Captainicus posted:

Yeah that'd do it. I hope the dwarfs get the +4 deployment bonus from the contract back eventually, that was a nice bonus if you liked playing an all dwarf army.

Ive always loved taking the lovely scrunts, and have always loved how poo poo they are. When they spoiled the MK.III Jack martial rules, I thought, oh cool, that's actually quite a decent buff to them, although still bad. Then they lost Jack martial.

Like I can only assume that they have some big ideas for theme lists involving them, because, why the gently caress would you nerf them instead of just letting them have an insignificant buff? Still, sorta made me happy, stupid scrunts.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
It’s been a while since I’ve written my last battle report – time to change that!

I met with a buddy of mine for a fun game of Warmans yesterday. I brought Lylyth1 and Rhyas, while he had Gaspy1 and Denny1. Let’s see who serves the better dragon!

I decided to go with my shooty Lylyth1 against Cryx, while he opted for Gaspy1. The lists where as follows:

Lylyth 1 with Typhon, Bolt Thrower, Ravagore and an attached Succubus
Full Striders with CA
Full Swordsmen
Hellmouth
2 Strider Deathstalkers
Forsaken
Shepherd

His list was:

Gaspy1 with Deathjack, 2 Slayers, 2 Arcnodes, Cankerworm and a Reaper, with attached Withershadow Combine
Two pistol wraiths
Warwitch Siren

The scenario was incursion, I won the die roll and opted to go first. I deployed with my beasts near my caster and the Swordsmen slightly off to my left. My Deathstalkers went up the middle, with the Scouts on my right flank, while the Hellmouth contested the left flag, behind a forest. He pretty much bricked up.

My Turn one – everything runs! Yay! Lylyth has no spells to give out, so even she joined the shuffle and got up to a nearby wall.

His Turn one – my opponent realizes that my threatranges mean he can’t help but get shot up for a turn. No use in advancing in waves, then! He advances all his jacks into a solid line, with Deathjack behind a wall, hoping for the best. He also lays out an impressive array of corrosive clouds through DJ, arcnodes and the combine. Most of them scatter, only taking out a single Swordman in the process.

My Turn two – I had deployed my stuff in such a way that most of my Strider Scouts could benefit from Lylyth1’s feat, and decided to use it here and there to get rid of Deathjack before he could do any real damage.
So, feat it is! Lylyth1’s feat gives her and her army in 10” an additional die on any and all attack rolls. I activate Lylyth, cast the Bolt Thrower animus and feat. I can reach out and touch DJ while aiming, so I do just that, needing a 7 to hit. With feat, I roll 3 dice; but because I really want to stick this one, I also boost it. I announce witchmark, roll my 4 dice like a boss, and get the 7. I do a couple points of damage, then cast Parasite on DJ. I take another shot, now with effective POW15, and hurt him good.
Now it’s off to the races! I advance the Ravagore up a bit and take a shot (I could have started with the bolt thrower for the crit knockdown, but that might have shot DJ out of Ravagores range). With effective POW 18 I roll dice damage and inflict around 10. The scather also takes out the Warwitch nexto to DJ. The bolt Thrower continues the dance and almost takes DJ off the table, leaving him on one box. “Hah!” says my opponent. “I activate the Deathstalker”, says I. The arrow flies true and takes the warjack off the table, giving me another shot into a random jack that does nothing.

My striders activate. A couple of them stand still and aim, while 3 or so walk into Lylyth’s feat. They all start shooting up the arcnode that felt safe behind the wall. Since they ignore cover thanks to the CA, they need 8’s or 6’s with 3 dice, and take the machine off the table.

The swordmen get off one charge, inflicting 8 damage to a Slayer, while Typhon advances and puts three boosted POW 14 sprays into another Slayer, taking off an arm and activating his animus. Typhon will surely be attacked by his jacks, but whatever gets in range will get charged in my turn by the swordmen. What could go wrong! Finally, the Hellmouth waits around behind his forest, and the Forsaken advances and takes the Fury off the Ravagore.

His turn two – my opponent’s a little demoralized from my feat turn taking important pieces early in the game, but he soldiers on. We debate together what his best course of action is, and I suggest using Parasite on the pesky swordmen, feating them dead, then putting Parasite on Typhon. He likes the plan, and starts Operation Feat The Chaff. His feat fils him up to full focus and gives every enemy model in 14” a POW5 damage roll – coupled with Parasite, that means he will need 4’s to kill my ARM 11 Swordmen.
He allocates 3 to his jacks, then the combine puts a reroll on Gaspy, who advances behind the wall to his right. He easily sticks the parasite on a swordmen, and wipes the unit off the table completely, needing 9 fours. Nice! He also wounds the Forsaken and a Stalker. Sadly, he didn’t manage to get his arcnode into position to stick the Parasite on Typhon, so he teleports into cover instead – a wise choice.

His reaper then starts shooting at Typhon, and manages to reel him in. This immediately presents two problems for me – first, even if Typhon survives, he will surely frenzy; second, I’m down 4 fury that I banked on. Lucky for me, his combined jacks, due to being damaged already and thanks to Typhon’s Animus, only take him down to 8 boxes, leaving all Aspects up.

His Pistol wraith advances on the Hellmouth and shoots a tentacle. I explain to him that that might not have been the best move, since I can trivially remove his only piece that is contesting the flag near the hellmouth now. Lesson learned, his other Pistol wraith runs behind the house at my right flag, ignoring the Striders that he was planning to shoot at. This presents another problem for me, as only Lylyth and the Succubus have magic attacks in this list.

In my turn, I cut for 4 and reave off the Bolt Thrower to full. Typhon manages to not frenzy. I want to clear off two flags and start scoring. Both Deathstalkers shoot at the Pistol Wraith near the Hellmouth, taking it off the table. The Hellmouth spawns a tentacle B2B with the flag, and moves all his appendages within 4” of it. One point secured.

Succubus puts a cloud on Lylyth and moves up. Lylyth activates and wants to stick another parasite on one of the Slayers engaged with Typhon. She misses the boosted 9 and, of course, hits Typhon, rolling a 10 and inflicting 4 damage, taking out an aspect. Boo! She tries again, unboosted and sticks the parasite. The last fury is used to heal Typhon. He then activates and takes out a jack with only 1 fury to spend. Ravagore and Bolt Thrower shoot around rather unimpressively, while the striders try to ding up the second arcnode, needing 8’s to hit and only hitting once (doing no damage). His jacks aren’t close enough to the middle flag, and my Deathstalker and Hellmouth score to 2-0.

His turn, he takes out Typhon with his one wounded Slayer and Cankerworm. The Reaper moves up to drag Lylyth, but misses the 18. Gaspy takes out a tentacle or two. Two withershadow combine move up and kill a Deathstalker. I score to 3-0.

My turn, I decide to try and score two points. I’ve got a pistol wraith contesting the right flag, and move the Succubus up to try and take him out, but miss.

Lylyth shoots the reaper unboosted, hits and puts parasite on him. I decide to be cute, move up with the Ravagore and throw the Reaper at the two Withershadow members, killing one and wounding the other down to one point (question: would the collateral damage be boosted due to large base impacting a small one? We only rolled two dice). The surviving member Is pushed away according to the rule of least disturbance and doesn’t contest the flag anymore. Bolt Thrower shoots the Reaper dead, Forsaken charges and kills the Slayer. Hellmouth sets up a clever pull that was supposed to drag Cankerworm away from the middle flag, but into a tentacle so that he’s more than 4” away from both flags, but misses. Deathstalker shoots the tentacle not close enough to the left flag and kills it so that I can score, then kills the Withershadow member on one box. This leaves Cankerworm contesting the middle flag, and I score up to 4-0.

His turn is quick – my opponent looks at the board state, decides that the only things he can put into contesting range of the hellmouth will get killed in my turn. With Lylyth camping 2 and his feat gone, the assassination is also off the table. With that, he concedes the game.

All in all, we had a lot of fun! Not trying to toot my own horn, but I love seeing two fully-painted armies battling on a table with painted terrain, which is also the main reason why I’m posting this report ;)

Afterwards, we talked lists – I suggested a couple things, for example I feel like Venethrax would handle a jackheavy list better. A unit of Satyxis could be used to weather some shooting and engage key pieces or remove jam. Main thing is, he learned a lot (for example to always ask how many magic weapons the opponent has and use his wraiths in more of a blocking manner) and we both had fun!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I agree. Both armies look great and while 3d terrain can be annoying, this battle looks gorgeous. Sucks about the Cryx guy feeling defeated so early on. That's a real lovely feeling.

Thanks for writing this up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gaspy 1 can drain fury! He should've gone for it :v:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Good report, cool terrain. I'm starting to get together some 3d, but still usable, terrain myself.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for doublepost. Finished babby's first Rask awhile back, finally remembered to take pictures.

No one's played Minions at my store for a long time, so it was fun introducing people to Rask's bullshit. :getin:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

waah posted:

I agree. Both armies look great and while 3d terrain can be annoying, this battle looks gorgeous. Sucks about the Cryx guy feeling defeated so early on. That's a real lovely feeling.

Thanks for writing this up.

Thanks guys! I was upfront about it and made him understand that most gunline lists have a turn of pure bullshit, but once you get through that, whatever is left can usually at least engage some of the shooters and eventually turn the game around. That knowledge, coupled with his great feat, kept him engaged.

Also, great Rask Fyrbrand! Love the blue.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

!Klams posted:

Ive always loved taking the lovely scrunts, and have always loved how poo poo they are. When they spoiled the MK.III Jack martial rules, I thought, oh cool, that's actually quite a decent buff to them, although still bad. Then they lost Jack martial.

Like I can only assume that they have some big ideas for theme lists involving them, because, why the gently caress would you nerf them instead of just letting them have an insignificant buff? Still, sorta made me happy, stupid scrunts.

Probably because the buffed the everloving poo poo out of the Rhulic jacks. Like, outside of the Avalancher they're all amazing and I totally understand why they lost Jack marshal.

Dwarf infantry still needs help, but the casters and jacks are some of the best options in Mercs

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

CaptCommy posted:

Probably because the buffed the everloving poo poo out of the Rhulic jacks. Like, outside of the Avalancher they're all amazing and I totally understand why they lost Jack marshal.

Dwarf infantry still needs help, but the casters and jacks are some of the best options in Mercs

Outside of the avalancher? It's an arm 21 shield guard with an aoe4 quake gun, it's pretty great. 17 points is a little expensive but that's only 1 point more than the destroyer and defender which its gun is comparable to.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Luebbi posted:

Thanks guys! I was upfront about it and made him understand that most gunline lists have a turn of pure bullshit, but once you get through that, whatever is left can usually at least engage some of the shooters and eventually turn the game around. That knowledge, coupled with his great feat, kept him engaged.

Also, great Rask Fyrbrand! Love the blue.

My biggest improvement against gunlines happened when I realized that sometimes the best thing to do is run a throwaway unit into being engaged so that your opponent can't shoot or has to mess up his plans to free up his dudes.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

chutche2 posted:

Outside of the avalancher? It's an arm 21 shield guard with an aoe4 quake gun, it's pretty great. 17 points is a little expensive but that's only 1 point more than the destroyer and defender which its gun is comparable to.

He's not a bad jack, but I find him notably worse than the others. If I want a knockdown gun, I'll take the Rockram and save a bunch of points while having a heavy that actually hits like a heavy in Melee while only threatening one less inch at range. The avalancher pow 15 Melee is super duper mopey. And yeah, he looks okay compared to other jacks, but Rhulic jacks are supposed to ve cheap as gently caress. Compared to the Rockram or Drillers, he's kinda mediocre

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

waah posted:

My biggest improvement against gunlines happened when I realized that sometimes the best thing to do is run a throwaway unit into being engaged so that your opponent can't shoot or has to mess up his plans to free up his dudes.

I do this with ifp on their mini feat. They don't get to reposition, but the shield wall still goes up! Bwuh huhuhuh.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

CaptCommy posted:

He's not a bad jack, but I find him notably worse than the others. If I want a knockdown gun, I'll take the Rockram and save a bunch of points while having a heavy that actually hits like a heavy in Melee while only threatening one less inch at range. The avalancher pow 15 Melee is super duper mopey. And yeah, he looks okay compared to other jacks, but Rhulic jacks are supposed to ve cheap as gently caress. Compared to the Rockram or Drillers, he's kinda mediocre

Rhulic has pretty bad focus efficiency. The rockram has to charge to get comparable threat range, which means you're either allocating 2 focus to boost attack and damage while charging, or you're spending 4 points to take thor and making the package more expensive than the avalancher. And there's still shield guard to consider. If running Rhulic only your shield guard choices are avalancher and ogrun bokur, so having the avalancher provide that role is saving you 5 points. Since most of the match the bokur isn't doing much, but the avalancher is shooting. Rutger gives another option but won't be available when running in theme almost certainly.

Also, the rockram knocking down 1 target and the avalancher knocking down everyone in a 4 inch is a big difference. And I don't really complain that much about a pow 15 shield when we have Strength of Granite available.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 5, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If I wanted to dip into Skorne because I like their obsidian statues guys and want to run a list around them, would I be a madman?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Well theyre probably super cheap still, so not a huge investment to play some errata roulette.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Iceclaw posted:

If I wanted to dip into Skorne because I like their obsidian statues guys and want to run a list around them, would I be a madman?

They're better than archidons

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Iceclaw posted:

Nothing wrong with playing zaal2. You'll have issues armor cracking though if you don't take heavy beasts.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I want to know how the internal faction balance got so all over the place. How did the same group of designers produce the new Mercenaries and Minions, and then also the new Skorne and Circle? It's bizarre.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Iceclaw posted:

Zaal2 is great and fun and good. You might have issues against extreme arm skews, but Immortals are pow 13. It's not ideal, but with aura of power from Zaal they are the equivalent of pow 13 weapon masters as long as Zaal has souls. Again not ideal, but not helpless.

Now Haakar, if your opponent isn't paying attention, Hakaar can make a lot of things have a bad day.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

waah posted:

Zaal2 is great and fun and good. You might have issues against extreme arm skews, but Immortals are pow 13. It's not ideal, but with aura of power from Zaal they are the equivalent of pow 13 weapon masters as long as Zaal has souls. Again not ideal, but not helpless.

Now Haakar, if your opponent isn't paying attention, Hakaar can make a lot of things have a bad day.

They're not, though.

Weaponmasters are good because they have 4 dice charges. Aura of power is a boost, not an additional die. It doesn't actually do anything for their damage if they're already charging. That's why zaal2 has serious armor cracking issues, it takes a ton of boosted pow 13s to start wearing down arm 20+. With average dice, it'd take a full 10 man squad of immortals with boosted damage rolls to take down one khador warjack. After playing zaal2 a few times I really feel the hurt from the lack of armor cracking, I've had to get my cannoneer to wade into combat before. I want to run 2x immortals 1x karax but when I do that it just falls apart at high arm. If Hakaar has 3 souls and he can spend 3 fury on zaal, he's still only doing 19 damage to arm 20 with a combo strike charge. That's a good bit for one model but not enough to kill a heavy. At 7 points he shouldn't be able to kill a heavy by himself, but that's what Zaal2 needs him to be able to do.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 5, 2016

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

waah posted:

Sucks about the Cryx guy feeling defeated so early on. That's a real lovely feeling.
Mk3Cryx.txt

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Iceclaw posted:

Honestly, I'd wait a few months until the new eratta hits and the dust settles. Right now you'd be a madman to do it but that doesn't mean anything.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?262563-SkorneShaming posted:

Do you realize the gift you’ve been given? With PP’s Insider announcement, for the next three months, everyone knows that Skorne needs a buff. This means that whenever you beat someone with Skorne, you can mock them for being terrible at the game. If you happen to lose, well, it’s just because your faction is unplayable trash. Would you brag about getting a triple-digit bowling score with the bumper lanes up? Nay! All the glory and shaming is on your side!

With this in mind, I will be #SkorneShaming any (non-learning) opponent who loses to my unbuffed MK3 Skorne over the next three months. I play way less these days—due to personal choices to return to ministry and get more time with the tall girl—but anyone who fails to ram a victory through our black hole of design space shall be mocked on the interwebz. Join me in #SkorneShaming your meta.

I'm even spending the next set of months learning new lists (instead of crutching on Xerxis1-Rasheth) to make the shame worse. This Menoth player choked against my eHexy mammoth list: https://twitter.com/SardonicArtery/s...15743179210752

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Truly a man of god....

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

chutche2 posted:

They're not, though.

Weaponmasters are good because they have 4 dice charges. Aura of power is a boost, not an additional die. It doesn't actually do anything for their damage if they're already charging. That's why zaal2 has serious armor cracking issues, it takes a ton of boosted pow 13s to start wearing down arm 20+. With average dice, it'd take a full 10 man squad of immortals with boosted damage rolls to take down one khador warjack. After playing zaal2 a few times I really feel the hurt from the lack of armor cracking, I've had to get my cannoneer to wade into combat before. I want to run 2x immortals 1x karax but when I do that it just falls apart at high arm. If Hakaar has 3 souls and he can spend 3 fury on zaal, he's still only doing 19 damage to arm 20 with a combo strike charge. That's a good bit for one model but not enough to kill a heavy. At 7 points he shouldn't be able to kill a heavy by himself, but that's what Zaal2 needs him to be able to do.

No you are right. I neglected to account for the extra charge dice from weapon master.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I had my first game with Thyra tonight. I'm not playing the list well yet - I don't get a lot out of Side Step and I kept forgetting to Apparition Blood of Martyrs, but it seems like it will be really really fun when I get the hang of it. I'd think it's a bit of a curveball from what people usually expect from Menoth as well, but it's a lot of infantry and so some stuff would murderize it bad.

Anyone with positive or negative Thyra experiences?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

what's your list?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I was looking at kingmaker's as one of the Magnuses, and not sure what units to use.

Obviously a unit of trenchers. But I'm not wanting to have two units of them right now, and I'm not sure what to use otherwise. Boomhowlers are kinda poo poo even if they do ambush. Croes look nice but I'm not enthusiastic about pow 10s without CRA. He doesn't do anything that'd make the steelhead units worth taking. I want to hit 40 points of units but not sure how to do that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I don't see any problem with taking a horde of Steelheads with Magnus 2 behind a trencher cloud wall. Also the Croe's, Boomies, and Renegades can all benefit from Rangers, which is neat. I drafted up a Magnus 2 list that I'd be tempted to play if I owned the Halberdiers and actually wanted to assemble them,

http://conflictchamber.com/#b61b_-085p5F5F5Z5Z5ZgE606060fi7ydL8P

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points

(Magnus 2) Magnus the Warlord [+28]
- Renegade [10]
- Renegade [10]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
Trencher Infantry (min) [10]
Steelhead Halberdiers (max) [11]
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye [0]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [0]
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger [4]
Dirty Meg [3]

Calamity makes the Steelheads POW 12s and MAT 9 on the charge, that'll get some work done. Verendrye gives the Halbs ARM 15 vs blast within 9" and they all have feign death so his tough bubble can be a little tougher to crack than normal, but even if the Halberdiers don't necessarily carry the game on their own you get to arc plenty of spells, knock down lots of poo poo, and your Nomads threat 12". That's alright.

Plus, if you go balls deep on your feet turn to jam, you can feat with Magnus, catch a lot of their poo poo (select both of your deployment table edges so they can't back up), and then have a nomad or something headbutt him so he can't get randomly shot off the table. Oh and your Nomads and Renegades are ARM 20 in melee, and you've got two mechanics that will repair the Nomads for d6+1.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 6, 2016

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My plan was trenchers with UA and grenadiers, croe's, 2 nomads, renegade, rover, freebooter. Rest of the points on whatever. I'm not sure if magnus1 or magnus2 does that better. Magnus1 gives croe's snipe and can arc scourge, and has his other upkeeps. Magnus2 has unyielding, escort, and calamity, with a lockdown feat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think the only time I'd prefer Magnus 1 is if I were running a whole shitload of Nomads and Vanguards. I don't feel like giving snipe to the Croe's is all that great, but if you take a full unit of trenchers with all the fixings, putting snipe on them is loving fantastic.

I wouldn't bother adding trencher grenadiers unless you had points left over, in either case you're better off buying a mechanic or putting the points towards a jack or something.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

mp5 posted:

what's your list?
Right, yes, that would probably be helpful!

http://conflictchamber.com/#b21b3K3N241r3q2M2MdS2_3S2K2L

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Thyra 1) Thyra, Flame of Sorrow [+29]
- Blood of Martyrs [16]
- Templar [15]
- Devout [9]
- Hierophant [3]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Flame Bringers (max) [17]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [5]
Temple Flameguard (max) [11]
- Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard [4]

I kind of wonder whether the TFG would be better off swapped for another jack and some support.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

chutche2 posted:

Croes look nice but I'm not enthusiastic about pow 10s without CRA.

I mean pow 10s by themselves aren't super great, but they're good at applying pressure to a hard flank with minimal support. They don't want to expose their back arc, and they really don't want to expose their caster either.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CaptCommy posted:

If you have him marshalled under Thor, he's loving godly. You can aim, for +2 rat and damage, with tune up for all of it boosted both ways, and then after shooting, move 5". It's just obscene.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Bought a Nomad on ebay that was supposed to be magnetized as the 4 different variants, but the Rocinante cannon isn't magnetized and the rover shield is crooked because of incompetence. Hoping ebay will refund me because the seller doesn't want to refund shipping which was a big chunk of what I paid. Guess I'll learn to just do it myself instead of taking shortcuts. To fix their mistakes I'd have to chop off the hand and then put some supports in because the dinky shoulder magnet isn't going to hold up this metal cannon.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Debunking the perception that Madrak2 is in the top 5%.

Lots of non-Troll players out there on this forum and maybe even some Troll faction players are jumping on the Madrak2 is all powerful bandwagon. As a long time player of Trolls I will gleefully admit that his feat turn is quite good, the ability to stomp through a whole line of models generating a copious amount of Fury on the way is strong. In fact, Madrak2 is downright bonkers in casual games against less experienced players, this could indeed cause one of the most dreaded grievances in MKIII that is the oft coined a, "NEGATIVE PLAY EXPERIENCE." If pub-stomping your friends with Madrak2 in your casual games makes him a top 5% model in this game then I stand corrected and willfully admit that he needs to be re-balanced.

That said, there is also a clear reason why he doesn't win nearly as often in tournament play and it is quite simple. Good players that know what his feat does can easily negate its power by doing something VERY SIMPLE. Here's the secret... put your models slightly more than 1" apart! It was relatively easy to do in MKII before pre-measuring was a thing. Now that your distances are never in question all you have to do is weigh the consequence of putting models too close together. Lets be honest while we're at it, in many cases putting things 1.01" apart instead of base to base is not going to hurt you very much. Proper spacing turns Madrak2's all powerful army destruction machine feat into a minimal loss of only a few models feat.

In short, if there is a strong case for a, "Negative play experience" then by all means, let's re-balance him. But if it is nothing more than a perception of power based on a one trick pony that most players only see happen to them once before they figure out how to apply the easy counter then he is probably fine.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?p=3700528#post3700528

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Hungerford Hates This! You Won't Believe This One Simple Trick to Not Lose to Madrak2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Debunking the perception that Madrak2 is in the top 5%.

Lots of non-Troll players out there on this forum and maybe even some Troll faction players are jumping on the Madrak2 is all powerful bandwagon. As a long time player of Trolls I will gleefully admit that his feat turn is quite good, the ability to stomp through a whole line of models generating a copious amount of Fury on the way is strong. In fact, Madrak2 is downright bonkers in casual games against less experienced players, this could indeed cause one of the most dreaded grievances in MKIII that is the oft coined a, "NEGATIVE PLAY EXPERIENCE." If pub-stomping your friends with Madrak2 in your casual games makes him a top 5% model in this game then I stand corrected and willfully admit that he needs to be re-balanced.

That said, there is also a clear reason why he doesn't win nearly as often in tournament play and it is quite simple. Good players that know what his feat does can easily negate its power by doing something VERY SIMPLE. Here's the secret... put your models slightly more than 1" apart! It was relatively easy to do in MKII before pre-measuring was a thing. Now that your distances are never in question all you have to do is weigh the consequence of putting models too close together. Lets be honest while we're at it, in many cases putting things 1.01" apart instead of base to base is not going to hurt you very much. Proper spacing turns Madrak2's all powerful army destruction machine feat into a minimal loss of only a few models feat.

In short, if there is a strong case for a, "Negative play experience" then by all means, let's re-balance him. But if it is nothing more than a perception of power based on a one trick pony that most players only see happen to them once before they figure out how to apply the easy counter then he is probably fine.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?p=3700528#post3700528

If only trolls had a unit that can be very fast with pathfinder, 2 inch reach, and cleave built in to help utilize his feat and make it pretty much impossible to spread out your models enough... I mean, sure, you CAN counter the "madrak gets 5 million fury" feat turn through decent placement, but in my experience his strength isn't limited to that.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2016