Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
God drat millenials, unwilling to put anything on the line. No risk no reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

All I want is a ship perfectly designed for my style of play with huge bonuses against the people I normally fight, is that too much to ask

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

After they introduced the naga and talos, they became the premiere ratting ships, despite being glass cannons. They vomit so much DPS that they were clearing the anoms before the rats could burn through their weak EHP. CCP ended up adding warp disrupting frigates to every anom to curb the isk faucet that was resulting from the use of nagas and talos in anomalies.

Of course, compared to a contemporary ratting Nyx or Hel, it's peanuts, but that's neither here nor there.

the real endgame is the ratting bosontitan

if you're in delve you just need to be able to hit 2 buttons and yell on mumble and you're guaranteed safe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Xae posted:

They already have stealth bombers and attack BCs that do this.

The "problem" appears to be that nano gang idiots refuse to fly them because they pop easily and they don't want their shiny kill board getting messed up.

Judging by the stream of dead carriers and supers on zkillboard they die pretty often, just not to the same setups people use to gank VNIs.

I almost got ganked in my nid by a gang on Saturday that consisted of 12 bombers, a Falcon and an astero for tackle, and only got away because the falcon didn't notice that I'd relaunched my fighters after recalling them and blew the astero into structure so he warped off allowing me to warp off. They then came back a few hours later with more warp disruptors fitted and managed to snag a few carriers who were too lazy to call for help

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

if you're in delve you just need to be able to hit 2 buttons and yell on mumble and you're guaranteed safe

This guy streams himself ratting in an avatar for a few hours per day

he gets 150mil ticks lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

the problem with the bosontitan is apparently (a) the logistics of supplying yourself with that much stront are irritating and (b) the accidental blue-shooting when someone warps to your anom and lands right in the middle of your boson cone

mostly (a) though

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, its actually profitable to doomsday anomalies full of rats? I assumed the fuel costs would make it have a lesser rate of return than a super carrier.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

Wait, its actually profitable to doomsday anomalies full of rats? I assumed the fuel costs would make it have a lesser rate of return than a super carrier.

Nah, you can wipe out a rock haven in under two minutes. Problem is that it's not sustainable -- you have to airlift entire JFs of fuel to yourself or warp out and refuel pretty regularly. Carriers and supercarriers, OTOH, can just go and go and go like a battery operated rabbit.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I don't know if CCP has nerfed it, but a year ago the big benefit of bosonratting was the number of of escalations and faction drops you would get

with an ESS the LP is not insignificant

sure stront is a headache, but with keepstars it's a lot easier

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't someone post a video of themselves bosonratting at some point? poo poo is impressive not gonna lie.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

orange juche posted:

Didn't someone post a video of themselves bosonratting at some point? poo poo is impressive not gonna lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4dxh0gEPw

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:gizz:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Obviously needs two titans to boson in a staggered timing formation so they don't have to lock anything.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does the AOE damage destroy the wrecks?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

Does the AOE damage destroy the wrecks?

This is an academic question at best, as someone DD titan ratting will not care about looting the wrecks themselves (because the time it takes to loot them would reduce their hourly earnings) and will fygm about others who might be looking for wrecks to loot and salvage. Has there yet been ratting drama about someone DD ratting and blowing up some confused newbie who warped to their anom by mistake?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Obviously needs two titans to boson in a staggered timing formation so they don't have to lock anything.

Or just train DD V like a non scrub

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

At that point, the loot, even counting DG spawns, is dwarfed by the amount you could get from just doing another anom. Get hosed noctis newbies.

Fake e: happy Halloween. Did CCP even do anything this year?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DisgracelandUSA posted:

At that point, the loot, even counting DG spawns, is dwarfed by the amount you could get from just doing another anom. Get hosed noctis newbies.

Whatever happened to lemontime?

fake e: blessed samhain

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Addamere posted:

Whatever happened to lemontime?

fake e: blessed samhain

As so many eve people have come and gone, he came and went.

I suppose this is as good as a time as any to say I've basically officially quit Eve. I no longer have CEO roles in the MiniLhv orgs. I'll probably be purged from illum so that we can make way for people that are more actively involved with the game.

Which is good and cool. The people actively playing are doing great at what they're doing, and I was mostly acting as a political medium. But tbqh the most I was doing was SNS, BJ and then moderating political squabbles. Which is cool and good. Maybe I'll see everyone again sometime from March to April, because Burn Jita of always coming.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What did CCP do to make Star Trek Online pull out the knives?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DisgracelandUSA posted:

As so many eve people have come and gone, he came and went.

I suppose this is as good as a time as any to say I've basically officially quit Eve. I no longer have CEO roles in the MiniLhv orgs. I'll probably be purged from illum so that we can make way for people that are more actively involved with the game.

Which is good and cool. The people actively playing are doing great at what they're doing, and I was mostly acting as a political medium. But tbqh the most I was doing was SNS, BJ and then moderating political squabbles. Which is cool and good. Maybe I'll see everyone again sometime from March to April, because Burn Jita of always coming.

Enjoy your time off and thanks for the fun ruining other people's game

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

That post I made in the post-fore-mentioned cab, but it pushed my over the edge and made me make some goodbye posts on GF. You can read them here or someone can quote it here for bitter exes, etc. But outside Arkitektite, i didn't give any proper goons that don't have SGBS access shout outs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Addamere posted:

What did CCP do to make Star Trek Online pull out the knives?

Accidentally made a better game than they did.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The obligatory Blood Raider event. This time, they added mining and the story is, the vile Blood Raiders are making new drugs, you have to steal from them. With the added twist that you can get not only boosters and skins as event rewards, you can also find booster blueprints and materials (beside the mining stuff). Oh, and the Blood Rocks have to be refined into the Blood Diamonds you need for the buildable boosters.

So this event covers both normal players and miners and industrialists. Kind of neat.

The funniest thing is if someone drops into a mining zone in HighSec and starts triggering the (up to battleship-sized) rats and you can watch all the miners who didn't come prepared scampering out. :v:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the problem is putting more on the line results in less gains in pvp

if you fly something worth dropping, you will get dropped, especially in circumstances where you're flying under someone's umbrella

they're relegated to dumb nano poo poo

no one is saying they want to be able to kill carriers in two interceptors or a couple cruisers, but people are asking caps to not be able to slaughter subcaps ( the same thing goonfleet era goons complained about )

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

...people are asking caps to not be able to slaughter subcaps ( the same thing goonfleet era goons complained about )

capitals should be for loving up structures and rock paper scissoring other capitals, maybe dreads with point defense poo poo for wearing down small poo poo but otherwise do completely meaningless amounts of nothing to things smaller than it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

but people are asking caps to not be able to slaughter subcaps ( the same thing goonfleet era goons complained about )

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

capitals should be for loving up structures and rock paper scissoring other capitals

But this is literally the entire point of carriers, they are anti-subcap capitals. Carriers used to have lots of different roles, triage, logistics, etc but they came out with specialized capitals to replace those roles. If carriers can no longer own sub-caps than what is even the point of them? Dreadnoughts are better at fighting other capital ships and structures, so if you nerf carriers sub-cap abilities you make them utterly pointless.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

But this is literally the entire point of carriers, they are anti-subcap capitals. Carriers used to have lots of different roles, triage, logistics, etc but they came out with specialized capitals to replace those roles. If carriers can no longer own sub-caps than what is even the point of them? Dreadnoughts are better at fighting other capital ships and structures, so if you nerf carriers sub-cap abilities you make them utterly pointless.

Imo, any and all ships that are mainly drones or fighters based should be remove in order to reduce server lag (if it helps at all). Carriers should be used to shoot dreads, not subcaps.

Super carriers and Titans should be deleted outright

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

Imo, any and all ships that are mainly drones or fighters based should be remove in order to reduce server lag (if it helps at all). Carriers should be used to shoot dreads, not subcaps.

Super carriers and Titans should be deleted outright

As someone who has the majority of their XP in drone skills: No, that is a bad idea.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

As someone who has the majority of their XP in drone skills: No, that is a bad idea.

I have most of those skills at 5, and I still say delete them. I choose game health over muh aquired skills. You can always put those skills back elsewhere

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the drones are having a huge effect on server performance. EVE is a 15 year old game, this means moores law has turned over 10 times since it was released. If we could manage drones back in 2003 we can manage them now :colbert:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I don't think the drones are having a huge effect on server performance. EVE is a 15 year old game, this means moores law has turned over 10 times since it was released. If we could manage drones back in 2003 we can manage them now :colbert:

We didn't manage drones back then. The servers would crash all the time, black screens were common, disconnects, guns not cycling.

I may be wrong, and it's possible that drones and fighters are a non issue, and if that's the case then gently caress what I said. But I'm pretty sure that thousands of drones on the field has to have an effect on the server.

*edit: ok to be fair, i can't quite say how it was in 2003 since i'm an 09 guy, but back in 09 we had those issues so I doubt it was much better before.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

1000 drone boats on field, all dropping 5 drones. Server is now tracking 6000 ships, all checking for damage, tracking, range, etc. This will have no impact on the server?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Totally forgot about this video :allears:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

1000 drone boats on field, all dropping 5 drones. Server is now tracking 6000 ships, all checking for damage, tracking, range, etc. This will have no impact on the server?

The question is: does it have more impact on the server than a laser gun or a missile? You are tracking all of those things for individual ship modules too.

Also worth asking: should long term features of the game be nerfed in order to appeal to the 5% of players that get involved in large scale battles?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Rutibex posted:

The question is: does it have more impact on the server than a laser gun or a missile? You are tracking all of those things for individual ship modules too.

Also worth asking: should long term features of the game be nerfed in order to appeal to the 5% of players that get involved in large scale battles?

Yes, because large scale battles is what draws people to the game. Every single massive battle that had any amount of PR about it, drew in a bunch of new players.
Also, I doubt your 5% figure is correct. I'm sure the figure is much higher. A battle with 3k players represents about 10% of the server load in that one battle alone. There's battles across all timezones.

I'd wager the number is close to 20% but i have absolutely no source and that's a guess estimate

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dalael posted:

Yes, because large scale battles is what draws people to the game. Every single massive battle that had any amount of PR about it, drew in a bunch of new players.
Also, I doubt your 5% figure is correct. I'm sure the figure is much higher. A battle with 3k players represents about 10% of the server load in that one battle alone. There's battles across all timezones.

I'd wager the number is close to 20% but i have absolutely no source and that's a guess estimate

To add to what I said,

Other than tidi a bazillion years ago, there hasn't been any real attempt (that I know of) to improve performance of large scale battles. Any and all attempts at improvement were bandaid patches at best.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

To add to what I said,

Other than tidi a bazillion years ago, there hasn't been any real attempt (that I know of) to improve performance of large scale battles. Any and all attempts at improvement were bandaid patches at best.

Gun grouping. They've done some hardware upgrades since then as well.

There was talk in the long long ago of grouping drones together into a single super drone. Which funnily enough is what they ended up doing with fighters. But then they gave them multiple fighter groups so it just pushed it all back one level.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rutibex posted:

iirc a big reason why they reworked fighters and carriers was because every single drone was handled as an individual ship with all the overhead that requires, so a carrier would be functionally equivalent to 11 ships on grid (or more if they had dcus fit). now it's 4 ships

also stacks of turrets/missiles are handled as a single entity so a stack of 8 guns has the same overhead as a single gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

capitals should be for loving up structures and rock paper scissoring other capitals, maybe dreads with point defense poo poo for wearing down small poo poo but otherwise do completely meaningless amounts of nothing to things smaller than it

Capitals Wong able to fight subcaps is fine, but there needs to be legitimate counterplay other than "bring more capitals." Flak weapons, capacitor neutralizing torpedoes, cyno inhibitors on a battle cruiser or battleship, whatever. There are probably multiple good ways to have subcap and caps interact beyond just not letting one side shoot the other.

Heck, combat refitting timers based on module size or ship size could help.