Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'll cop to it if I'm wrong, but I think people are repeating a lie about Alice tweeting a dead name.

Not defending her edgelord gimmick, just this one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yardbomb posted:

Luv 2 downplay working up a bunch of assholes to harass a leftist trans lady.

Legit can't tell which side of this dumb poo poo you're being sarcastic at.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wolfsbane posted:

Legit can't tell which side of this dumb poo poo you're being sarcastic at.

The person one post before mine who was acting dumb?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wait, I thought you were referring to the people piling into multiple SA threads to instigate harassment of Alice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Wait, I thought you were referring to the people piling into multiple SA threads to instigate harassment of Alice.
Posting that she sucks on a forum she doesnt read isnt harassment

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zedhe Khoja posted:

when ur morally correct

goddamn right I am

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Who likes trains

I sure do

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

MikeCrotch posted:

Who likes trains

I sure do

I love all trains, great and small.

Except this one

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The picture is merely an image.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Who likes trains

I sure do
Ditto.

I picked up the complete original set of Thomas the Tank engine stories, because baby and trains. That Rev. Awdry sure loves his trains too. Steam especially, but electric trams are cool too.

Being a diesel is a moral failure though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Posting that she sucks on a forum she doesnt read isnt harassment

endorph is right

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

my dad was a train engineer

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So new WTYP episode on Philly Transit, I love that this woman from TRU says "Yes." exactly the same way as DNE. Is that a Philly thing?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

:siren: TRAIN GORE DO NOT LOOK :siren:

https://twitter.com/thebadbucket/status/1260714099115085824

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

now THIS is harassment

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

oh my god the first little train looks like it got chaos spawn in it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

So new WTYP episode on Philly Transit, I love that this woman from TRU says "Yes." exactly the same way as DNE. Is that a Philly thing?

Right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ArmZ posted:

Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13AzYuro3Cc

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

dead gay comedy forums posted:

oh my god the first little train looks like it got chaos spawn in it

Fire tubes! The hot gases from the fire pass down a whole lot of tubes running through the boiler before exiting at the smokebox, which gives them plenty of surface area to transfer heat to the water :science:

This video's focused on naval propulsion but there's something of interest for the railway enthusiast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qveycr0-WMU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ArmZ posted:

Right.

There was a Bon Appetit episode where Alex Delaney was having to explain to someone about calling everything "john" and I thought of DNE

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bug Squash posted:

Ditto.

I picked up the complete original set of Thomas the Tank engine stories, because baby and trains. That Rev. Awdry sure loves his trains too. Steam especially, but electric trams are cool too.

being a diesel is a moral failure though.

Unless you're a Vickers Diesel-Electric, then you're ok.

The Rev. Awdry's various and hilariously inconsistent prejudices mixed in with his legit train :spergin: and attempts at some train-based Aesop/Uncle Remus stories combine to create a magic the later CGI non-Awdry-written ones can never match.

WTYP should do a bonus ep that's examining the various railway accidents on the Isle of Sodor. Imagine DNE explaining "well you see in the hurry to depart the station so the Express isn't late, Gordon neglects to be sure Thomas has been uncoupled. So Thomas is being dragged along with the Express by Gordon, at speeds Thomas is not rated for." Liam: "That sounds safe." DNE: "It isn't."

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
diesels are the best trains

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

supposedly mercedes is making a diesel-electric sprinter this year

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NvK1KpRTEs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KeychainCollect/status/1262544882163474434?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/intensifiedzeal/status/1263353879183286273?s=20

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

occasionally you learn about events like these or when the us army shot up flint and wth is going on

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

good new episodes :) i love death and travesties of justice :)

TheDarkOfKnight
May 14, 2003

All the world's a stage. Look at the lighting!
Thought I'd mention this here as I figured it would be appreciated.

If you haven't heard about all the crazy going on with the recent dam failure in Michigan it is a great story with something for everyone.

First, the dams. These two dams (Edenville dam which impounded the Tittabawassee river to create Wixom Lake and Sanford Dam which was a bit downstream and created Sanford Lake) are owned by a company called Boyce Hydro and were "regulated" by the state's Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy. The dams have been subject to scrutiny in the last few years due to deteriorating conditions which culminated in their license to produce electricity being revoked by the feds. One of the owners of Boyce has a bit of a colorful past. I've lived in the next county over for about ten years and have heard about problems with these dams off and on the whole time I've lived here.

The city that the governor warned could end up with "nine feet of water" covering it is Midland, home of Dow Chemical. In fact, looking at this satellite image you can see that one of Dow's major plants is literally on the river bank (well, now it's pretty much IN the river).

The part which is in the red area is just a part of the Dow operations which have been impacted. There's also several massive "brine ponds" next to the river which were also breached by the flood. This, of course, doesn't take into account all the waste chemicals (including unknown quantities of dioxin) which Dow has been literally burying for decades.

But wait! There's more!

See these two rather familair looking structures?

Yeah that was going to be a nuclear power plant that was canceled when they discovered that the foundations of the buildings were sinking due to poor soil stabilization. The plant was about 85% complete so they abandoned all the nuclear power components that had been installed and turned it into a gas fired power and steam plant. It would have been super close to the downtown area of Midland.

It's about two miles in a straight line.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

which direction does the river flow in, besides, lately, up?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That portion of the river flows SE, top left to bottom right. It eventually merges with the Saginaw and flows north into Lake Michigan.

TheDarkOfKnight
May 14, 2003

All the world's a stage. Look at the lighting!

Doc Hawkins posted:

which direction does the river flow in, besides, lately, up?

It kind of flows to the South where it meets the Shiawassee and Cass rivers to form the Saginaw which then flows generally north into Saginaw Bay at Bay City.

I forgot to mention that there was a lake freighter unloading at a stone dock between Saginaw and Bay City on Tuesday when all hell broke loose and it's still stuck there due to high water levels as recently as 1:30AM in the morning when I went by on the way to work this morning.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

okay, so the plant is technically downriver of downtown, and not the other way around. i don't know if that actually matters but i felt compelled to find out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really want to like the transport fever streams but the game itself annoys me too much. It feels as much a transportation simulator as Starcraft is a combat simulator!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah the Bhopal episode was incredibly depressing. Which, you know,

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My college had this little stand next to the library where they'd put their extra books and you could just take them. I took so many.

Among them was a huge book on the Bhopal disaster I never took the chance to read.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

donoteat, how's the philadelphia vanguard coming along

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

dead gay comedy forums posted:

donoteat, how's the philadelphia vanguard coming along

can't make it out to protest unfortunately because liam and I are stuck in a situation where if either of us got COVID it would be extremely bad for a bunch of people so we're accepting donations to bail funds in lieu of patreon donations this month

details in description, hopefully this makes up for our awful transphobia

https://youtu.be/34rdxDgpaaA

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
i have to disagree with the premise of the bonus episode. it doesn't matter how dangerous, impractical, or ugly it is. More floors more better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

once upon a time, Alan Moore, the author of From Hell, The Watchmen, V For Vendetta, and a whole bunch of other stuff, decided to make his own comics company: America's Best Comics. the initial idea was that he would write comics from an alternate universe where the superhero was not invented, and so the medium of comics had other kinds of pulp stories. you've probably heard of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but there was also Tom Strong, Promethea, and a few other even-lesser-known series.

one of those was about a boy genius in small-town america who got into some kind of educational science-trouble in each issue, and in one issue a policeman asks him to make a machine that will make light obey all posted speed limits within town limits. and he does! and then the consequences of that are explored!

anyway the goiânia episode reminded me of that.