Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's no loving chance Tom Brady has been vaccinated.

He invented some kind of electrified water that he thinks will ward off covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Love is in the air.

https://twitter.com/JeffDuncan_/status/1405886188586778625

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How many kids did Payton have before his wife left him?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1407419747642322945?s=20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I was just coming to post this. Hold on to that ball Jameis!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I’ve legit watched this like 50 times since you shared it. I can’t stop. I want to believe they’re just loving around but it’s Jameis so it’s hard to tell and I’m guessing not. It’s just so amazing.

He got sacked like seven times by those upright bags. I think the exercise is supposed to be more to protect fumbling though? Who the hell moves like that?

e: I just realized that he's seemingly yelling numbers out at random. What the hell is he doing

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 23, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve legit watched this like 50 times since you shared it. I can’t stop. I want to believe they’re just loving around but it’s Jameis so it’s hard to tell and I’m guessing not. It’s just so amazing.

He got sacked like seven times by those upright bags. I think the exercise is supposed to be more to protect fumbling though? Who the hell moves like that?

e: I just realized that he's seemingly yelling numbers out at random. What the hell is he doing

QB1 work, man.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Only thought is there's someone showing basic math problems or flash cards off screen that forces Jameis to concentrate on something mental.

Or its pictures of crabs and he has to sounds off of the number of legs he can see. I'm going with that.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

RandomWaffle thread bringing up some memories today

Pershing fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 30, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pershing posted:

RandomWaffle thread bringing up some memories today

Ah, the good times.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1410258451083763716

https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/1410260776271687686

Pay that man his money.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 30, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And now the details:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1410945796342697992

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

probably should have resigned moton a little earlier.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I firmly believe that's one of the mistakes that got hurney fired

I mean it can't be bad cap management because he's done that for years and managed to get rehired

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/ESPNPlus/status/1413138791779426304?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s insane how the Bucs Lbs can cover as well as they do.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s insane how the Bucs Lbs can cover as well as they do.

https://twitter.com/rp_21_/status/1413140299216408588?s=20

🤔🤔🤔 hmmm who to believe?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I've gotta say, this Random Saints Fan may just be on to something :haw:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

someone with + post the article pls

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

someone with + post the article pls

Hulu bundle finally comes in handy

quote:

Who's the NFL's best linebacker? Wide receiver? Cornerback? What about the second-best defensive tackle -- after Aaron Donald? To preview the 2021 NFL season, we set out to answer those questions and much more.

We surveyed more than 50 league executives, coaches, scouts and players to help us stack the top 10 players at 11 different positions, from edge rusher to interior offensive linemen and all the way through tight ends. This is the second edition of these rankings, and there are several players who moved up and dropped from last year's lists.

Here's how our process worked: Voters gave us their best 10 to 15 players at a position, then we compiled the results and ranked candidates based on number of top-10 votes, composite average, interviews, research and film-study help from ESPN NFL analyst Matt Bowen. We had several ties, so we broke them by isolating the two-man matchup with additional voting and follow-up calls. Each section is packed with quotes and nuggets from the voters on every guy -- even the honorable mentions.

The objective is to identify the best players right now for 2021. This is not a five-year projection or an achievement award. Who's the best today? Pretty simple.

We'll roll out a position per day over the next 11 days. Here's the schedule:

Week 1: edge rushers (July 5), interior defensive line (July 6), off-ball linebackers (July 7), cornerbacks (July 8), safeties (July 9), offensive tackles (July 10), interior offensive line (July 11)

Week 2: quarterbacks (July 12), running backs (July 13), wide receivers (July 14), tight ends (July 15)

Versatility is a premium at linebacker.

"Can he do everything? That's what I look for," a Pro Bowl linebacker told me. "What made Ray Lewis different is he was an every-down guy when LBs used to be more for first and second downs."

Today's best linebackers are asked to cause turnovers, play physically against the run, master pass coverages, fly sideline to sideline for acrobatic tackles and, if good enough, line up in the slot against a dangerous pass-catcher.

The league has enough players who can handle those tasks, with this year's top 10 "stack" linebackers -- middle in all alignments and outside in a 4-3 -- featuring established veterans and ascending young stars. Three new players cracked the list this year, starting with a head-turning linebacker who jumped six spots.

1. Devin White, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 7

White received more No. 1 votes than any other linebacker, and he narrowly won a tiebreaker with NFC West stalwarts Fred Warner and Bobby Wagner for the top spot (all three had similar voting patterns, so we reached out to an additional 10 voters, including three GMs, to break the tie).
The NFL's best at every position

Jeremy Fowler polled a panel of more than 50 coaches, execs, scouts and players to come up with top-10 rankings for 2021:

• Edge | Interior DL | LB
• CB | Safety
• OT | Interior OL (July 11)
• QB (July 12) | RB (July 13)
• WR (July 14) | TE (July 15)
More NFL coverage »

"He's a missile," a high-ranking NFL official said. "So athletic and strong while doing whatever he wants."

The league figured White, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2019 draft, would emerge as a top linebacker soon enough, but the Bucs' playoff run punctuated his rise. He was all over the place with 38 tackles (three for loss), two interceptions and two fumble recoveries in three games, and that was coming off a bout with COVID-19.

Over the past two seasons -- including the playoffs -- the Bucs allowed almost a full yard per play more when White is not on the field (5.9) vs. when he's on the field (5.0) A true 4.4-second 40-yard dash runner, he traveled 16,377 total yards in 2020, per NFL Next Gen Stats, the most from this group. White was overeager as a rookie but found the right balance of aggression and pace late in Year 2.

"When you play him, he can just run," an NFC exec said. "Your perimeter run game is being controlled by guys [White and Lavonte David] who can stack the box. He could have been a strong safety in the '90s."
2. Fred Warner, San Francisco 49ers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 6

Warner has made a sizable jump in each of his three NFL seasons. He started 16 games as a rookie third-round pick in 2018, then became a top-10 player at the position on the way to the Super Bowl in 2019 and All-Pro status last season.

"He totally runs the show for that defense," an AFC exec said. "Everything they do goes through him."

Warner produced 125 tackles, two interceptions, six pass deflections, one forced fumble and one sack in 2020. But the numbers don't truly quantify his ascension.

"Elite instincts and awareness against the pass," an AFC coach said. "Got a little bit of that Luke Kuechly in him. He knows exactly what's coming. Long, can feel his range."

As a result, Warner doesn't have to stay inside like many linebackers. San Francisco can put him in the slot with zero hesitation.

The knock on Warner is he isn't a burner (4.64 40), but his length and angles make that a non-issue. Warner also posted a solid 38% run-stop win rate.
3. Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 6

Last year's No. 1 was a do-it-all linebacker for the Seahawks in 2020, finishing with 138 tackles, three sacks, seven tackles for loss and eight pass deflections, the second most in his nine-year career.

"My favorite linebacker of the last 10 years," a high-ranking NFL official said. "Not a drop-off yet. He's always kind of been the standard for me."

Wagner's 38.4% run-stop win rate was fourth-best among linebackers, and he covered 9,057 yards between 6.6 and 12 mph, per NFL Next Gen Stats, the highest clip of the group. His max speed of 20.3 miles per hour also led the group. Wagner made the 4.4 linebacker trendy before White.

"He's maybe slowed down a little bit, but he knows the geometry now," the official said. "Knows all the angles so he's just as effective."

Wagner also rarely misses a snap; over the past five seasons, the Seahawks have only run 168 defensive plays with him on the sideline.
4. Darius Leonard, Indianapolis Colts

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 9

No linebacker does the splash play quite like Leonard, whose knack for getting the ball is elite. Through three seasons, Leonard has seven interceptions and nine forced fumbles to go with 15 sacks.

"He doesn't have the ideal size [6-foot-2, 230 pounds], and you can argue at certain points he's hybrid, but he plays bigger and is so productive," an NFC coach said. "Are you getting to the ball and making plays? That's such a big part of the game and this guy does that."

Leonard has made two All-Pro teams in three years, putting him on a potential Hall of Fame track. The only thing that might be keeping Leonard out of the top-three is "loose" playmaking, an AFC coach said -- meaning he's best on plays going away from him, ones in which he can chase down.

"Box plays that go at him where you have to play true linebacker, he's still good but not as explosive a hitter or playmaker as those guys ahead of him," the coach said.
5. Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: 10

David dropped three spots, but to no fault of his own. Young players have emerged.

"He's still the bell cow of the [Bucs] defense," an NFC personnel evaluator said. "Not the athlete he once was but he can still move. He's the guy who's never got enough due."

David finally got his shine during the Bucs' championship run. But Tampa's defense was loaded with playmakers, and his all-around game is stellar but not flashy.

"Zero drop-off with him. He just plays with Devin White, who was running around getting 15 tackles a game in the playoffs," an NFC exec said. "But Lavonte can do whatever you need -- run through the hole, make a play in the gap, a great blitzer and can cover."

A Pro Bowl defensive player added: "He still doesn't get his respect. He looks exactly the same."
6. Roquan Smith, Chicago Bears

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 10

On the cusp in last year's rankings, Smith punctuated his stardom with improved play across the board in 2020.
Fantasy Football is Free on ESPN

More people play on ESPN than anywhere else. Join or create a league in the No. 1 Fantasy Football game! Sign up for free >>

"He put it all together," a Pro Bowl defensive player said. "Run fits, active in the run, pass, sacks, very disruptive. Came downhill. Ton of [tackles for loss]. You noticed gradual improvement."

Smith's ability to crash lanes on the way to the quarterback was elite. His 18 TFLs ranked second in the NFL to outside linebacker T.J. Watt.

"He's got the instincts, physical tackler, complete linebacker," a prominent NFL coach said of the 6-foot, 230-pounder. "What doesn't he have? Size -- could be a little bit bigger, more range, taller, but that's it."

Smith also recorded 42 run-stop tackle wins, one of the best totals from this group.
7. Eric Kendricks, Minnesota Vikings

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 12

Kendricks fell from the top five, in part because of the young talents climbing the list. He was still productive with six pass deflections and three interceptions in 11 games, along with an 82.6 rating from Pro Football Focus. The Vikings sorely missed him down the stretch, as he didn't play the final five games. Overall last season, Minnesota allowed 4.3 yards per carry when he was on the field and 5.1 yards per carry when he was on the sideline or out injured.

"When I think of an ILB, he's who I think of -- diagnose plays, physical tackler, good zone instincts, above-average blitzer. He's one of the best from that second group," a veteran AFC coach said.
8. Tremaine Edmunds, Buffalo Bills

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Edmunds' potential is so expansive that this ranking feels too low. He is 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, with incredible downhill ability and range.

"This guy is tough -- very rangy against the pass, good instincts," an NFC coach said. "Tough for us to deal with."

Man coverage is not his strength, but Edmunds can use that 4.5-second 40-yard dash speed to diagnose short passes and wash them out. Edmunds covered 4,359 yards when traveling above 12 mph, per Next Gen Stats, the highest total of the group. And at age 23, Edmunds is still ascending.

"In zone defense where he can come downhill, he's really good," the coach said.
9. Demario Davis, New Orleans Saints

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Davis continues to make the plays the Saints need over the middle. The 10-year veteran finished last year with five forced fumbles, four sacks and 10 tackles for a loss. The only factors hurting Davis are age (32) and lack of elite physical skills. But his makeup is top-shelf.

"I know coaches who have coached Hall of Famers who say Davis is as good as any linebacker they've ever coached," an NFL head coach said.

Davis' ability to impact all facets of the game earned him the nickname "Super Demario" in some NFL circles.

This is no coincidence: The Saints' defense improved every year since Davis entered the lineup in 2018. They ranked 17th in total defense in 2017. From 2018 to 2020, they jumped to 14th, 11th and fourth last season. Davis has never missed a game in his career, starting ever one for New Orleans since he joined.
10. Myles Jack, Jacksonville Jaguars

Highest ranking: 5 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Jack was underachieving at middle linebacker; the arrival of free agent Joe Schobert slid him to the outside. That might have been the best move Jacksonville made during a brutal 1-15 season in 2020.
Best of NFL Nation

• Colts OC's top task: Get Wentz on track
• New Lions staff filled with ex-NFL players
• How Seahawks' defense has changed
• Atlanta draft pick learned on set of 'CSI: NY'
• Can Raiders' potent offense improve?

"He played like an All-Pro last year," an NFC exec said of Jack.

Jack showed his range with 49 run-stop tackle wins (plays within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage). One AFC coach called him more of a "listener than commander," hence the move to the outside suiting him.

Our final top-10 linebacker, Jack edged out Deion Jones, whose elite speed landed him in the top five last year. But Jack is fast too, and he has nearly 20 pounds on Jones (244 vs. 227).

"Would like to see him more consistent, but it is really tough to get past him," an NFC coach said. "[The Jaguars] are letting him play fast and float to the ball."
Linebackers also receiving votes

Deion Jones, Atlanta Falcons: "All the athleticism -- kind of flashed up and down. Plays more like a safety. Not as aggressive as you'd like for a linebacker." -- NFC personnel evaluator

Zach Cunningham, Houston Texans: "Has a lot of strengths -- length, size, productive -- but not physical enough." -- NFC coach

Devin Bush, Pittsburgh Steelers: "He would have been [in the top 10] had he not gotten hurt. He's got major ability." -- NFC exec

Dont'a Hightower, New England Patriots: "I think you saw a huge drop-off [for the Patriots] when he wasn't with New England last year. The value he brings, people don't always understand." -- NFL coach

Patrick Queen, Baltimore Ravens: "Swiss Army knife for a coordinator. Can utilize his skill on all three levels of the defense. Great coverage matchup on RBs and TEs, really good zone instincts and isn't afraid to put his face in the fan. Excited to see what he does with Rob Ryan." -- AFC defensive coach

Blake Martinez, New York Giants: "He's a true inside linebacker, signal-caller, controlling everything inside, good physical downhill linebacker. Throwback outside guy." -- NFC coach

C.J. Mosley, New York Jets: "Still a high-level linebacker when he's on the field. It's just been a while." -- AFC exec

Joe Schobert, Jacksonville Jaguars: "Good field general, great in zone coverage. Never going to be the big, physical guy." -- AFC defensive coach

GD_American fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2021

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Oh my holy God

https://twitter.com/TheFalcoholic/status/1413919133020954627?s=19

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Oh what the hell man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A bit too devious, Barkevious.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

seems bad

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Atlanta. Always the worst of the worst.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The actual Mingo allegations were reported by SI and they're really, really bad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

The actual Mingo allegations were reported by SI and they're really, really bad.

holy poo poo... trigger warning, this is a child sex abuse allegation.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah it said that in the initial post

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

holy poo poo... trigger warning, this is a child sex abuse allegation.

what did you think it was going to be

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Monte > Dungy

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1415364524572565506?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Monte > Dungy

Parenting skills aren't everything.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Parenting skills aren't everything.

Tony’s son isn’t a continuing embarrassment

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

GD_American posted:

Tony’s son isn’t a continuing embarrassment

Really something to hang his hat on

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The Panthers actually managed to resign Taylor Moton.

Thank God. We can't afford to keep losing good O linemen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Back to just the Silverdome Superdome now.

https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/1415708373039861764?s=20

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

zimbomonkey posted:

The Panthers actually managed to resign Taylor Moton.

Thank God. We can't afford to keep losing good O linemen.

I love it. Moton has been flying under the radar because we brought in bigger names to fill the LT void, but he has clearly been our best OL for the past three seasons.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I don't want to bring in deshaun watson please and thank you

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

zimbomonkey posted:

I don't want to bring in deshaun watson please and thank you

Last I read, he was now likely going to the Eagles.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Saints might as well go full Team Scumfuck

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Saints trying to re-sign Kwon now that he's healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol this is a great pic

https://twitter.com/andyharnik/status/1417555380897525765?s=20