Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
He's pretty clearly playing that on a PC.

They showed off that level before but it's different footage, this guy makes it actually look fast and fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

They showed off that level before but it's different footage, this guy makes it actually look fast and fun to play.

Yeah, this has actually convinced me to preorder the game. It confirms my suspicions that the game would definitely look/play better with m+kb.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

This particular bit was shown off in that dev-stream earlier. And despite it being the PS4 version demoed, the player was probably more accurate. Not entirely sure why that guys view is vibrating rapidly all the time when aiming.

The marketing for this game has just been weird and messy in general, though.

I suspect they never decided on who they're trying to sell this to. Old farts like us or the totally rad CoD crowd.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RyokoTK posted:

yeah, they talk about it being the pc version throughout the video

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

I suspect they never decided on who they're trying to sell this to. Old farts like us or the totally rad CoD crowd.

It's a AAA game, so the corporate branch passed down an edict saying they had to sell it to everyone to recoup the massive dev/marketing costs, hence the generic marketing. This doesn't change the fact that it was apparently made by people who like older, faster-paced FPS gameplay.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

your yearly skillsaw (plus friends) megawad is out and it's 32 levels of neon-soaked alien bliss.

Ancient Aliens

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kmxexii posted:

your yearly skillsaw (plus friends) megawad is out and it's 32 levels of neon-soaked alien bliss.

Ancient Aliens

That looks pretty as hell.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 9, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

kmxexii posted:

Ancient Aliens

Sergent Rex Power Colt approved. :patriot:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

kmxexii posted:

Ancient Aliens

Holy poo poo this looks cool

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kmxexii posted:

Ancient Aliens

That look sweeeeeet. Pity that none of the big graphical mods seem compatible due to the pallette shift. Know of anything along the lines of Smooth Doom or Beautiful Doom that's PNG-based and pallette-tweak friendly?

This year has been amazing for Doom, and I don't just mean that we're getting a sequel next week. So many big releases and we've not even close to halfway through already.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, that didn't take very long to turn into basically a slaughtermap

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Where do I get Hardcore Doom Wars? I was laughing uncontrollably through about half of that video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqzhkNvE_tdTFBlekNkblE3UHc/view

Enjoy, mate.
I'm trying to build up a small archive of WONDERFUL wads/pk3s/projects, so if there's anything else you want to ask about, lemme know and I'll dig for it.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Here you go. Scroll down a bit and you'll see a google drive link. That will get you v.20, which seems to be the only version that got a public release.

That's something completely different. Sorry.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well I know what I'll be running Ancient Aliens with, then

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Looks loving gorgeous holy poo poo :aaaaa:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

TerminusEst13 posted:

That's something completely different. Sorry.

:doh:Well, now that I actually pay attention to the name I see that. Oops.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

well, that didn't take very long to turn into basically a slaughtermap

Is this the Ancient Aliens WAD you're referring to? I haven't been able to check it out yet but I hope this isn't the case because goddamn do I hate slaughtermaps and things that resemble slaughtermaps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
EDIT: Whoops it double-posted.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is this the Ancient Aliens WAD you're referring to? I haven't been able to check it out yet but I hope this isn't the case because goddamn do I hate slaughtermaps and things that resemble slaughtermaps.
Slaughtermaps start as early as MAP04.

Hell, MAP01 requires you to be constantly moving as if you're in a slaughtermap, thanks to that Cyberdemon dead-center in the first room (not counting the intro rooms).

Between this and Valiant, what I'm getting is that I'm a huge fan of skillsaw's visual aesthetic, but am rather iffy on his enemy placement. It's good, but I don't think it gels well with my typical Doom playstyle. Nothing a little save-scumming can't handle, I suppose.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What numbers are we talking about here? I beat Valiant and like it a lot (second and third acts were a bit weaker than the others) but my eyes start to glaze over when I see anything over 300.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

Slaughtermaps start as early as MAP04.

Hell, MAP01 requires you to be constantly moving as if you're in a slaughtermap, thanks to that Cyberdemon dead-center in the first room (not counting the intro rooms).
A slaughtermap with 90(!) monsters. Please stop using that term if you don't understand what it means.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Less than two-hundred per map so far, but similar to Plutonia's worst, they're all carefully placed in the most inconvenient possible places, in an attempt to screw you over at every opportunity. MAP04 only has 79, but it has a shitload of crossfire and no less than two Archviles facing directly at you when you start the map (though it takes a bit of movement on your part to get them to notice you).

koren posted:

A slaughtermap with 90(!) monsters. Please stop using that term if you don't understand what it means.
I'm not sure how else to describe this kind of map, where you're plopped right into the thick of a giant crossfire with basically no cover to speak of, forcing you to bob-and-weave or else die pretty quickly. It's incredibly common in slaughtermaps, so I've just sort of associated that term with that sort of map style. Do you have a better suggestion?

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 8, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm not sure how else to describe this kind of map, where you're plopped right into the thick of a giant crossfire with basically no cover to speak of, forcing you to bob-and-weave or else die pretty quickly. It's incredibly common in slaughtermaps, so I've just sort of associated that term with that sort of map style. Do you have a better suggestion?

Just tight, close-quarters tough fighting? Slaughtermaps generally refer to large blocks of enemies in the same encounter arena, so you have to confront them as that large group while balancing other large groups. I don't think Plutonia has any slaughtermaps*, just tricky designs (and a lot of dirty enemy placement). Dead Simple and Caughtyard are the root of that tight, surrounded play, but neither of those top 200 enemies. Plutonia's largest enemy count in Odyssey of Noises doesn't feel like a slaughtermap either because it has lots and lots of smaller groups, instead of large ones.

Edit: If tight movement under enemy fire makes a slaughtermap, Perfect Hatred is a slaughtermap. That takes away from the emphasis on large enemy counts that makes a slaughtermap remotely meaningful as a classification.

Edit2: Asterisked is obviously wrong, I'm an idiot who forgot about Go 2 It.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 8, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Normally people would say "heavy crossfire" maps.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

At the same time, I don't feel like that term (E: Arivia's, to be clear) really encapsulates it. You can have tough close-quarters fighting against only a few difficult foes at a time, without involving being taken out of the frying pan and into the fire from the word "go".

I'll concede my (and others' in this thread before me, I'll note) misuse of the term "slaughtermap", and accept that that term implies a much larger number of enemies than a few hundred, but there's definitely some commonality between how this plays and how those play that I don't care for.

FWIW, "Perfect Hatred" doesn't bother me in a remotely similar way, though it's rather tough for how early on in the episode it is.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 8, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Also depends on the size of the map, you could have a smaller slaughtermap with a lower number of hundreds. Or a giant sprawling non-slaughter map with the same number of enemies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm only a few maps into Ancient Aliens, but I haven't encountered any slaughtermaps so far. However, it does feel very much like skillsaw's older work in the sense that the maps force you to constantly press forward. I love this kind of level design, but I can see why others would find it too stressful for their taste.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
slaughtermap is the wrong word, but there should be a word for the new difficulty maps that have been coming out. keeping in mind that UV is intended to be hard etc etc, guys like Ribbiks (when not making actual slaughtermaps) and skillsaw and tourniquet and dobu garu etc all make finely balanced maps that both aren't slaughtermaps and are incredibly hard

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

UV's definitely intended to be hard, but MAP01 has you facing down that Cyberdemon even on ITYTD; it just lessens the size of the other waves of monsters you have to fight through to not get a rocket in the back.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Ancient Aliens doesn't do slaughtermaps, except for possibly at the very end. What it does do is force you to be very mobile and adapt to a long string of ambushes. For once, hard mode is HARD. Normal mode is pretty drat tough too.

It gets a lot of mileage out of a relatively small number of enemies. The IMMORTAL ARACHNOTRONS in the third map really keep the pressure up, and unless you constantly move forward you're going to get dinged.

That cyberdemon on the first map, you shouldn't even TRY to fight. Just circle around and go for targets when you're in-between three rocket bursts.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Minidust posted:

Anything I should know before giving Jedi Knight an earnest playthrough? I've set up the enhanced models/textures mod, and a thing that lets you switch weapons with the mouse wheel like a modern FPS. Videos appear to play in a small window but that's no big deal. I assume I should expect some level of jank since it's just old and there's no source port available.

When you get to the level where you get your lightsaber, pick it up and then take a break if you can - you think: ok, time to chop some dudes; you get: a level full of pretty much one-hit-kill snipers directly afterwards. Man gently caress that level, I played it the first time around and it's just annoyed me all over again :mad:

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Jordan7hm posted:

slaughtermap is the wrong word, but there should be a word for the new difficulty maps that have been coming out. keeping in mind that UV is intended to be hard etc etc, guys like Ribbiks (when not making actual slaughtermaps) and skillsaw and tourniquet and dobu garu etc all make finely balanced maps that both aren't slaughtermaps and are incredibly hard

i tried to call it something like high skill ceiling, but that's a mouthful

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When you get to the level where you get your lightsaber, pick it up and then take a break if you can - you think: ok, time to chop some dudes; you get: a level full of pretty much one-hit-kill snipers directly afterwards. Man gently caress that level, I played it the first time around and it's just annoyed me all over again :mad:

thats jedi outcast, aka the greatest game of all time. I think this guy is talking about jedi knight dark forces 2 though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

thats jedi outcast, aka the greatest game of all time. I think this guy is talking about jedi knight dark forces 2 though.

Was it? Eh, it's been a while :o:

The sniper death rotating vaporisation camera was cool the first time you saw it, then soon wore out its welcome.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't really think there's such a trend and if there was, skillsaw wouldn't be a part of it. For the most part, his work different from those other mappers and easier to play. Extrapolating from valiant/vanguard, his maps are designed to put you under pressure through crossfires and piecemeal ammo distribution and therefore reward playing aggressively and without caution. However, this is counterbalanced by providing the player with a generous amount of health, usually through lots of small health packs along the path. While stressful, his maps end up having more bark than bite as you can tank a great deal of damage and play sloppily and still keep on rolling. While they are still challenging, I don't think they provide the same degree of challenge as say, sunlust or miasma - or even much older wads like sod, resurgence, scythe 2 or the plutonias.

That said, I've not played AA yet and i'm curious to see how his style has developed and if any of what I said still holds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay, well, i'm aware that 'slaughtermap' has certain connotations behind it but at the time i made that post i didn't really much care about the specific term mostly because i was disappointed that i wouldn't really get to play a cool-looking map pack because it's basically a clusterfuck of weird challenge poo poo right from the beginning

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was disappointed that i wouldn't really get to play a cool-looking map pack because it's basically a clusterfuck of weird challenge poo poo right from the beginning

That's how I feel about Swim with the Whales. I'm a sucker for deep blues, aquatic aesthetics, and somber music, but you're assaulted from all sides at all times by high-tier enemies. It's irritating. God drat it is pretty though:

Can anyone recommend WADs for just chill casual play? I'm thinking maps that are short and sweet and aren't too enemy dense. Something like the stock Doom 1/2 campaigns in terms of map complexity. I've already played Doom The Way id Did (and D2TWID) and Scythe. What else is there?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

koren posted:

I don't really think there's such a trend and if there was, skillsaw wouldn't be a part of it. For the most part, his work different from those other mappers and easier to play. Extrapolating from valiant/vanguard, his maps are designed to put you under pressure through crossfires and piecemeal ammo distribution and therefore reward playing aggressively and without caution. However, this is counterbalanced by providing the player with a generous amount of health, usually through lots of small health packs along the path. While stressful, his maps end up having more bark than bite as you can tank a great deal of damage and play sloppily and still keep on rolling. While they are still challenging, I don't think they provide the same degree of challenge as say, sunlust or miasma - or even much older wads like sod, resurgence, scythe 2 or the plutonias.

That said, I've not played AA yet and i'm curious to see how his style has developed and if any of what I said still holds.
I don't really care for that stye of map though. To me, it's too rigid in the way you're supposed to play it, and doesn't really leave room for error. I tried playing the first level of Ancient Aliens earlier today. I hit the Cyberdemon with all (or at least most of) the rocket shots I picked up with the rocket launcher, and after exhausting all the other ammo I had, he still didn't go down, and I ended up dying to a Shotgun Zombie who spawned in. I'm not saying it's bad, and I'd like to give it another try, but I guess I was expecting something more traditional.

Also, what exactly is a slaughter-map?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 9, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know what a slaughter-map is exactly, but after playing the first level of Ancient Aliens earlier today, I have to say I don't care for that style of map. I hit the Cyberdemon with all (or at least most of) the rocket shots I picked up with the rocket launcher, and after exhausting all the other ammo I had, he still didn't go down, and I ended up dying to a Shotgun Zombie who spawned in. I'm not saying it's bad, and I'd like to give it another try, but I guess I was expecting something more traditional.

Haven't played the wad yet but I watched a vid of the first level to see if I was interested and you should keep it alive to kill lots of stuff for you and use a secret teleporter to kill it

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I've noticed there are a lot of secret teleporters that'll have you telefrag the meatier enemies - although you've usually basically finished the level by the point you find them.

Felt mildly annoyed about finding such teleporters in MAP03 and MAP04, since in both cases I'd taken care of the offending enemies the hard way - knowing I could've saved those rockets for later would've been nice. (Moot point now, though, I'm around MAP08 and am fully stocked with the things.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never seen the term slaughtermap in my life until the last couple of pages of this thread.