Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Old Town is something that should be experienced. Think of like the lamest, most cliche boardwalk ever. It's worse than that. And then, don't actually put it next to water.

I feel like it's the epitome of American learned helplessness around walkable housing that "a commercial street you can walk down without being run over by a car" is a tourist attraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's still Orlando, I wouldn't let my guard down.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aphrodite posted:

It's still Orlando, I wouldn't let my guard down.

I know this thread is about more than just Orlando parks, but I still think this should be the subtitle.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not even close. Tough to be a bug is a medicore 3d show with a few animatronics, Nemo is a full blown Broadway caliber production.

Just to elaborate on this - the music and lyrics are by Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, of Frozen and Remember Me fame (Robert Lopez' resume is even more stacked, with Avenue Q and Book of Mormon in there).

Do not miss it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Boxman posted:

Just to elaborate on this - the music and lyrics are by Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, of Frozen and Remember Me fame (Robert Lopez' resume is even more stacked, with Avenue Q and Book of Mormon in there).

Do not miss it.

Seconding this. And if you get a chance, watch the documentary on the making of Frozen 2 on D+, in which they’re heavily featured. It’s a compelling and surprisingly heartbreaking deep dive into what ended up being a very forgettable movie.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Also we’re flying down in the morning for our 5-day trip so if any goon or CM or whoever wants to say hi that would be really nice.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Universal just got rid of all mold-o-rama machines and for this they can burn in hell!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I just want to chime in that my favorite Christmas present of all time is the prickly pear cactus culture from Living with the Land ride my nephew got me. I hope I can keep it alive because I ain't no green thumb.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Upsidads posted:

Universal just got rid of all mold-o-rama machines and for this they can burn in hell!
Ah gently caress. Somehow I never heard about these until the week after I got home last trip, so I was planning to go get all the dinosaurs next trip :smith:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I have my Satan and green skull still

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

DeSantis finally dropped out lol

I was in Epcot and saw people looking at their phones and laughing

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I basically didn't go to Disney at all in 2023 due to being busy with my job, with the exception of a preview for TRON (and we didn't get to ride it then). This past week my family was in town for Disney and I had the whole week to spend time with them. Here are my thoughts from the week:

- The first half of January after New Years crowds left used to be dead, but these days it's still pretty busy.

- Disney's hotels, despite a lot of negativity I've seen lately, just absolutely blow Universal's out of the water. Even Universal's "nice" hotels are all beat up and janky. The Disney hotels (maybe not the value resorts) just have dining, cleanliness, and immersion on another level. Note that I'm not saying they're the best possible hotels to stay at, but they really do complete a Disney vacation by maintaining the quality and immersion during the entirety of your stay.

- TRON, while not amazing, is a solid attraction and the launch is surprisingly intense, probably due to the way you sit.

- They can ditch the virtual queue bullshit any day now. Trying to luck out with playing quickdraw in the app is just another layer of unnecessary stress on top of all the other stress they have introduced over the years.

- It's really a shame that there are so many people who, out of EVERYTHING to see and do in Orlando let alone WDW, ONLY see the Magic Kingdom, which is the least impressive, most tacky WDW park and by far the biggest headache. Magic Kingdom is great if you do happen to catch it on a light day, but that's exceedingly rare.

- I can't stress this enough - if you're going to "rope drop" a park, most people would benefit from a mid-day break. Trying to go 12 hours straight with how chaotic the parks get just turns everyone cranky.

- If you can't do a break, take time to do some "stress relieving" attractions like the train, riverboat, peoplemover, see some shows, etc. It was unnecessarily hard to convince my family to do these things because they have a pre-conceived notion that they are "boring" experiences. It's even more odd considering they have also been here many times and still don't want to try different experiences.

- I REALLY hate Genie+. It stresses everyone out more than Fastpass because everyone feels obligated to book things and use them since they paid money for it, so I found my family skipping over rides they wanted to do in favor of Lightning Lane-ing a ride they booked but didn't necessarily care about. It's just cheap enough that people don't mind getting it every day, even though it's a gamble how much use you will get out of it. But it's also just expensive enough to add stress and fear of "wasting it". I think it needs to be more expensive and have less people using it.

I hated Fastpass+ too, but at least it was free. I wish we could at least go back to a digital version of the original free paper ticket system.

- I was a huge fan of Illuminations and hated Harmonious. While I still would much prefer an IP-free night show for Epcot, Luminous is so much better than Harmonious and feels reasonably appropriate for Epcot. The songs feel tastefully chosen and not like just a Disney songs "greatest hits". It correctly puts the emphasis on the pyro and makes sure to not distract from it. Harmonious had everything going the entire time and the result was just a boring slog of a show that had no emotion. Luminous also has probably the most impressive pyro of all the night shows.

Luminous actually made me feel emotions, which is more than I can say for most of the recent night show efforts. The fact that there's a segment that forces you to think about the fact that losing someone you love is an inevitable part of life that we all will face was a very bold move that I was not expecting from current Disney Parks, and I really like that they went there.

- The Moana walkthrough and new Epcot central hub are not particularly interesting during the day, but beautiful at night.

And now I'll review all the restaurants I got to try:

Grand Floridian Cafe - not particularly special, but good food and reasonably priced. Recommend.

San Angel Inn (Mexico - Epcot) - years ago I ate here and thought it sucked, but this time it was absolutely delicious. They must have overhauled the menu or something. Recommended.

O'hana - Polynesian - I've eaten here many times. I love their grilled chicken, the rest of the food is above average but the special thing is that you get SO much of it. Recommended.

Biergarten - Germany - Epcot - felt like it was just a Golden Corral with more sausage than normal. I don't particularly care for the atmosphere or the live entertainment. Others might disagree though.

Jiko - Animal Kingdom Lodge - expensive, but one of the best steaks I have ever had. Recommended.

Not every Disney restaurant is great but anyone who says "Disney food sucks" or that it's just standard theme park food probably is basing that on burgers and chicken nuggets (which even those are decent compared to most theme parks).

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My biggest issue I’ve found with Genie+ is we feel like we’re just chasing ride bookings all day. We try to manipulate it as best we can but it seems to turn into just hustling from one side of the park to the other to hit rides.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This time of year, into early February, is the slowest it gets but is no longer slow.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

My biggest issue I’ve found with Genie+ is we feel like we’re just chasing ride bookings all day. We try to manipulate it as best we can but it seems to turn into just hustling from one side of the park to the other to hit rides.

I find the best way to use G+ is to just book things that you know will have long standbys and work around it from there. Either that or a ride you know you're gonna wanna ride twice. I'll book HM as a first LL and then usually hop back in standby.

But you're right that if you keep chasing the next booking, you're gonna be gassed. It's just too much walking. The desire to max ROI leadsto booking LLs for the hell of iy, which I try not to do, but if I one open up that I want I'll definitely bite.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!

Hazo posted:

Also we’re flying down in the morning for our 5-day trip so if any goon or CM or whoever wants to say hi that would be really nice.

I’ll be there with my high schooler son Tuesday and Wednesday. If you see a guy in a disney baseball hat with an epcot loungefly backpack, 99% chance it’s me. We’ll be bouncing around all the parks before our “florida resident” annual pass expires. Probably AK and Epcot Tuesday then HS and MK Wednesday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

DeSantis ends 2024 presidential campaign

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

- I was a huge fan of Illuminations and hated Harmonious. While I still would much prefer an IP-free night show for Epcot, Luminous is so much better than Harmonious and feels reasonably appropriate for Epcot. The songs feel tastefully chosen and not like just a Disney songs "greatest hits". It correctly puts the emphasis on the pyro and makes sure to not distract from it. Harmonious had everything going the entire time and the result was just a boring slog of a show that had no emotion. Luminous also has probably the most impressive pyro of all the night shows.

Luminous actually made me feel emotions, which is more than I can say for most of the recent night show efforts. The fact that there's a segment that forces you to think about the fact that losing someone you love is an inevitable part of life that we all will face was a very bold move that I was not expecting from current Disney Parks, and I really like that they went there.

I had the same feelings about IllumiNations and Harmonious, and IllumiNations holds a special place in my heart, but I hung around in the cold tonight to see Luminous for the first time and enjoyed it.

I agree that I would like less IP stuff, and I think they were trying too hard to catch lightning in a bottle a second time by aping the structure of Happily Ever After (right down to reusing at least two of the same songs!) but the versions they used felt decently different and the narration helped drive home the point of “we’re all together, stop being assholes to each other” that Epcot likes to do.

Dr. Jim Sadler posted:

I’ll be there with my high schooler son Tuesday and Wednesday. If you see a guy in a disney baseball hat with an epcot loungefly backpack, 99% chance it’s me. We’ll be bouncing around all the parks before our “florida resident” annual pass expires. Probably AK and Epcot Tuesday then HS and MK Wednesday.

We’re signed up for AK tomorrow, HS Tuesday, and MK Wednesday, but we’ll probably hop around as well. Shoot me a PM.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

This time of year, into early February, is the slowest it gets but is no longer slow.

The few weeks after labor day are slower than this still from what I've seen. But the weather around that time, unlike now, is gross.

Akileese posted:

I find the best way to use G+ is to just book things that you know will have long standbys and work around it from there.

Yeah, this is the best bet. But it also requires starting your bookings at 7:00 AM. Booking attractions just to book something, even if the line isn't that long or you don't really want to ride it, is not the way to do it, but unfortunately what my family was doing and I couldn't really convince them to approach it differently.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

From some pages back:

Upsidads posted:

for flight of the avatar I love looking straight down and a bit to the right at the very end about 5 seconds before the ride ends to see a navi eating a bug dude wings and all

I found the little goblin man and started laughing uncontrollably

He’s on the same floating rock you land on, directly below you to the right on the front side of the rock face. He’s absolutely going to town on that bug thing and it’s fuckin hilarious

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'm not hallucinating! Thank you

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The few weeks after labor day are slower than this still from what I've seen. But the weather around that time, unlike now, is gross.

Yeah, this is the best bet. But it also requires starting your bookings at 7:00 AM. Booking attractions just to book something, even if the line isn't that long or you don't really want to ride it, is not the way to do it, but unfortunately what my family was doing and I couldn't really convince them to approach it differently.

I'm very fortunate that my wife and kid just kind of let me handle it because they know I know what I'm doing. MK is the only park where you can kind of just, book whatever, but that's because of the size and variance. Nothing really flies off quick except Peter Pan. The rest just sort of move at a very gradual pace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

From some pages back:

I found the little goblin man and started laughing uncontrollably

He’s on the same floating rock you land on, directly below you to the right on the front side of the rock face. He’s absolutely going to town on that bug thing and it’s fuckin hilarious
We need to raise awareness of Goblin Man, and also remind anyone going to check for him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Keep it up and we’ll get a goblin man series of Loungefly products and a spirit jersey.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I want him in the next movie

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
"The goblin man is the key to all of this" - Joe Rohde and/or James Cameron

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Upsidads posted:

I want him in the next movie

the mean joke would be saying "he's in movie 2" and y'all having to suffer through movie 2 to try to find him.

i think movie 3 is about volcanos so I kind of doubt there will be many bugs for him to snack on.

there's someone on this stream who's just living in country bear jamboree. am I insane or didn't you use to enter through the exit before the 2012 remodel?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m not going back to AK this trip but it’d be great if some goon could capture Goblin Man on film

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

I’m not going back to AK this trip but it’d be great if some goon could capture Goblin Man on film

are you even allowed to record unless it's a gopro on your chest?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

are you even allowed to record unless it's a gopro on your chest?

I don’t see why not? I’ve never seen a CM tell someone to put their phone away, especially not mid-ride. It’s more of a “do it at your own risk” kind of thing.

I had my phone out on Slinky yesterday to take a quick selfie of us on the loading platform and the CM saw me and just said “make sure you hold onto your phone.”

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
As long as it isn't a selfie stick Disney doesn't care. Universal was cracking down on it for a while.

I've probably been on flight of passage a hundred times and never noticed goblin man and I need to find him and I will point him out in every tour moving forward.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Shout his name at the end.
"Zenobia look at me! I love you!"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This is neat. Steamboat Willie tarot cards, all thanks to the public domain.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manekinekobooks/steamboat-arcana-1928-tarot-card-set

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

We're about to hit 60 days out from my next trip :toot:

I'm looking to try again to get into Savi's after failing totally last time. As it looks like you still can't book in the UK without using a VPN I've managed to recruit a US friend to book for me.

Of course, I can't see the booking page so I don't know what details he'll need. Would he just need my card number, and maybe my booking number too?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new reservation system for dining also works for Savi's, so it's a bit easier to get bookings now.

Your friend will need your Disney account login. It will use the credit card linked as default payment there if you have one setup already, so they may not even need your actual card details.

You can have them test it ahead of time by just trying to make any booking and not hitting the final confirm. Or really you can even confirm it and just cancel later. There are several available this week to test with.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The new reservation system for dining also works for Savi's, so it's a bit easier to get bookings now.

Your friend will need your Disney account login. It will use the credit card linked as default payment there if you have one setup already, so they may not even need your actual card details.

You can have them test it ahead of time by just trying to make any booking and not hitting the final confirm. Or really you can even confirm it and just cancel later. There are several available this week to test with.

Well, that makes things a lot easier! I'm still amazed that they still won't let you book Savi's if you're using the UK website.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you think that's bad at Star Wars Celebration last year they got business cards printed up with a QR code to send you to book the Starcrusier, but if you were in the UK if redirected you to the "coming soon" site.

Good thing they didn't hold the convention in London or... oh. poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Universal just dropped some info on Epic Universe.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/theme-parks/epic-universe

5 areas

Celestial Park. Has a dual launch coaster and a carousel. Ocean themed restaurant, pan-asian restaurant, Nintendo store.
Harry Potter Ministry of Magic
Super Nintendo World
How to Train Your Dragon
Dark Universe

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 30, 2024

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

5 areas

Celestial Park. Has a dual launch coaster and a carousel. Ocean themed restaurant, pan-asian restaurant, Nintendo store.
Super Nintendo World
How to Train Your Dragon
Dark Universe

god drat disney better catch up and universal better stop paying that bigot so I can go to celestial park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Jose Oquendo posted:

5 areas

Super Nintendo World
How to Train Your Dragon
Dark Universe

Dr. Victoria Frankenstein is working her experiments in the Dark Universe. :swoon: