Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

me your dad posted:

I'm also trying to find a laptop for my eight year old. I think I'd prefer a Windows machine for my familiarity and troubleshooting but a Chromebook could be easier for her to use.

We're trying to spend 200 bucks or less. What kind of differences would there be in that refurbished Lenovo and a newer Chromebook at the $200 amount?

Chromebook is going to be a lot less work to maintain over the X period. There's a reason why chromebooks are hugely popular with schools.

If they are at all technical though, a chromebook might kneecap their technical skills, as the chromebook is essentially a managed laptop as a service type deal. You can technically install "real" linux on a chromebook and get root on it at a later point, but it's a pain to get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - she's definitely not a technical user at this point. I think I'll focus on Chromebooks.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

bull3964 posted:

I just wonder when the G14 is actually going to be avaliable. It's still listed as "Coming Soon" on best buy's site and not listing that's not a 3rd party on Amazon. I was under the impression that it was going to be released on the 15th.

I mean, I recognize that dates are pretty much scattershot at this point in time due to everything that's going on, but I had assumed it was far enough along in the pipeline that it would have a mostly normal launch and the fact that the NDA went down last week seemed like the launch was imminent.

It's fine though, I shouldn't buy it (at least not now). I'm not going anywhere and I just built a new MiniITX Ryzen 3700x system that just flies so there's no reason to pick up another gaming machine than "ohh, shiny."

I can add it to my cart on Best Buy with a delivery date of next week. Seems like it's live now.

edit: i wish my stupid home refinance was over! :argh:

edit2: what's the best way to sell a 6 year old macbook pro? ebay?

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 16, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I see that now, wasn't there this morning. Hmm.

If I was able to get it on amazon, I can pretty much have it be free since I can cobble together about $1500 in credit card rewards and gift card balances there. I can only do about $800 worth of that towards a Best Buy purchase.

Still though, it's not like that other $700 of credit expires and I could just buy other stuff with it that I would normally pay for.

To make a dumb purchase or not, that is the question. I think I'll hold for now because it can only get cheaper and it's not like there are any pre-order/early order bonuses tied to getting it right now.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

me your dad posted:

Thanks - she's definitely not a technical user at this point. I think I'll focus on Chromebooks.

Make sure that Chromebooks are compatible with her school district’s Blackboard or other e-learning. For some reason our kids’ district doesn’t support Chromebook for a similar platform (Edsby). I think it flags due to some ongoing issues with Flash that they are still using on some of the courseware. The school district’s site explicitly says they aren’t supported until next year, and it has been very hard to work around on a Chromebook.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - they are supported, and the county has them listed as valid devices.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheWevel posted:

I can add it to my cart on Best Buy with a delivery date of next week. Seems like it's live now.

edit: i wish my stupid home refinance was over! :argh:

edit2: what's the best way to sell a 6 year old macbook pro? ebay?

SA-Mart seems to be the easiest and least scam-prone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo has announced new gaming notebooks based on Ryzen 4000.

Also maxes out at RTX2060. They don't specify, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the 65w variant.

Weird that the Ryzen is only in the Legion 5 (sucessor to the Y540) and not available in the Legion 7 (Y740). According to Dave2d the Y740 had much better build quality than the 540 so I wonder if that's the same in the new refresh.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PhallicPhalanges posted:

I’m curious what the threads opinions are of cloud gaming? I tried out GeForce now on my t480 yesterday and was surprised at how well it worked.
I've been using various cloud gaming services since OnLive was in beta what, 10 years ago? Remember when people were saying it'd never work because it needed 6 megabits per second to stream? That definitely wasn't the actual problem....

If you have a fast enough internet connection they work perfectly fine for anything that's not latency sensitive. Basically anything casual, anything turn-based without quick time events, and at least my level of RTS or MOBA play is just fine. Third person games can be a bit rough if the connection stumbles but for the most part it's tolerable. First person and driving games I can't stand playing over streaming services, with those even the latency of a Steam Link on a wired local network is too high to really be enjoyable. Something slower like Borderlands is almost playable but I still find myself having trouble tracking moving targets.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I somehow lucked into the GeForce Now beta right at the start and used it for a while, since I travel about 10 months of the year and don't want to lug around a heavy gaming laptop. My experience was that it was fairly dependent on your internet connection, but as wolrah said it heavily depends on what games you're playing as well. I had no issues playing WoW on it, plus strategy games were obviously fine. But I can't imagine playing FPS games or anything reflex-dependent.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So it seems some 10th gen laptops are having their plundervolt fixes baked in which means no undervolting the chips. With Intel poo poo for several generations you've been almost guaranteed a negative 100~125mv offset and it appreciably impacts temperature, so this is not something I'm super excited about.

Dave 2D mentioned it about the Aorus 15G (Gigabyte, so I guess expect it on their Aero line? Edit: Yeah, 3m30s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fib70iFLIzQ), and I've seen it mentioned on NBR wrt the new MSI 10th gen stuff across the board.

Honestly my Aero 15 (when it's not power limit throttling in BFV) would be thermal throttling without an -125mv undervolt.

I did read that the HP pushed it in a bios update to their 9th gen Omen series (which were some amazing black friday deals for an RTX2080 laptop), but IIRC they were the only ones to do it last 'gen'.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 17, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So it seems some 10th gen laptops are having their plundervolt fixes baked in which means no undervolting the chips.

Surely there has to be a BIOS setting to disable this protection, the tradeoff would be absolutely not worth it for something like a gaming laptop. IIRC it also isn’t trivial to exploit and requires OS root access to begin with.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 17, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok so upgrading mini pci WiFi cards. Does it matter if I put a AC card into a laptop that was designed for N with N(?) optimized antennas?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some laptops have 2, others have 3 antennas

Some laptops are firmware locked to a specific WiFi card, notably Lenovo Thinkpads from the 2013 era

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Anyone have a preference on Surface line of computers Dell XPS line?

I was thinking of getting my mom a 15inch 2-in-1 XPS.

She likes to do digital drawing and coloring and her current laptop needs to be replaced, so I thought it might make sense to replace it with something that can be used as a drawing tablet too.

Does that sound reasonable? Will either of the Surface or XPS line be better for that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't buy the 15" XPS 2:1. It's the oldest of all of them and using a fraken Intel/AMD chip that intel has discontinued and only promised driver support for an additional 5 years.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I liked my Surface, and Surface Book. They're nice computers with the added bonus of no weird software. Yes Razer you should totally require me to have your lovely software to keep the keyboard lights off and change the fn to media controls, brilliant idea.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 26, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

oliveoil posted:

She likes to do digital drawing and coloring and her current laptop needs to be replaced, so I thought it might make sense to replace it with something that can be used as a drawing tablet too.

Does that sound reasonable? Will either of the Surface or XPS line be better for that?

15" XPS 2-in-1 has a design flaw where the pen pressure sensitivity is not uniform, it's okay for handwriting notes but poor for drawing. The 13" is fine as far as I'm aware, plus it's easier by far to handle in tablet mode; the 15" is just big and heavy enough to be awkward.

The Surface line is generally regarded as having the best pen support so it's probably the best choice for serious artwork, but it also comes with a notable price premium.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looks like HP will be refreshing the Envy line in June, most interesting feature is adding in vapor chamber cooling and a RTX GPU upgrade.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3537988/the-hp-envy-15-leads-a-rebranded-product-line-made-for-creators.html

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has there been any info about convertible like Lenovo yoga using the ryzen 4000 series?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Apparently x13 Yoga will have a Ryzen option.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3528718/lenovo-major-thinkpad-refresh-includes-amd-mobile-ryzen-4000-chips.html

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

oliveoil posted:

The Surface 7 is caught in a sort of transitional state between current gen hardware and standards and next gen standards and hardware.

* It uses the last gen Surface 6 chassis, as opposed to the new Surface Pro X's design, which also means:
* It does not have a user-accessible drive without cracking the entire thing open, as opposed to just undoing a screw and lifting a flap. Not that you'll be doing any service on this thing, everything is already soldered in place, so get the correct amount of RAM to start.
* The 10-series Intel processors that are in it, while good, are Intel trying to wring blood from a stone. For a better experience, I would definitely go for models with G5 or G7 graphics.
* On the plus side, the older design means you still have a USB-A port. Until everything stops using USB-A, having a USB-A port will never not be useful.

These are probably getting redesigned in the coming year, but be aware what you're getting into.

Others have spoken specifically to the XPS's flaws, I will point one specific thing out in regards to the touch screen: All laptops with touchscreens that do not have a kickstand are flawed, because the hinges/lid/display cannot be rigid enough to not wobble when you touch it. This turns using the touchscreen into a two-handed affair at all times.

By comparison, having a kickstand means that the Surface won't wobble, and stays exactly put, and that puts the Surface 7 far ahead of the XPS.

Costco sells a bundle that includes a cover and pen for less than MSRP of just the Surface, I would go there if you can.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Awesome, thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. I've got a few months to prepare the wife for another laptop.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

awesomeolion posted:

Looking at windows laptops for doing mainly VR development, as well as general development and gaming. Any recommendations? Budget is somewhere under $2,000. Nice to haves: 1. Not super bulky (both weight and size) 2. Not have embarrassing gamer stuff built into it (GAMING GRADE AIR VENT or whatever). Thanks in advance!

Maybe my question was too vague. Wirecutter recommends Acer Predator Triton 500 or Acer Predator Helios 300. I'm liking the price of the Acer Predator Helios 300 a lot more, is it bad? Will I be an idiot if I buy this? Is there a laptop that's like "when you think you want Acer Predator Helios 300 you actually want this other one"?

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

awesomeolion posted:

Maybe my question was too vague. Wirecutter recommends Acer Predator Triton 500 or Acer Predator Helios 300. I'm liking the price of the Acer Predator Helios 300 a lot more, is it bad? Will I be an idiot if I buy this? Is there a laptop that's like "when you think you want Acer Predator Helios 300 you actually want this other one"?

The Helios 300 is gaming laptop and weights around 5.5 pounds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

awesomeolion posted:

My Helios 300 bricked after three days and it was a relatively common issue looking at the amazon reviews. Not like, super common, but more common than “this laptop entirely stopped powering on within a week” should be expected to be. If you get one, get one from somewhere with a good return policy, the Acer tech support was beyond useless.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My Helios 300 bricked after three days and it was a relatively common issue looking at the amazon reviews. Not like, super common, but more common than “this laptop entirely stopped powering on within a week” should be expected to be. If you get one, get one from somewhere with a good return policy, the Acer tech support was beyond useless.

Ah thanks that's good to know. Is there a general tierlist for windows laptop brands? When I google around I get a lot of terrible ad filled sites that make me want to leave the page as soon as possible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

awesomeolion posted:

Ah thanks that's good to know. Is there a general tierlist for windows laptop brands? When I google around I get a lot of terrible ad filled sites that make me want to leave the page as soon as possible.

Well for reliability different companies got fairly different results:

https://www.geckoandfly.com/6311/the-most-reliable-laptop-survey-best-netbook-reliability-comparison/

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'd take surveys like that with a grain of salt. Of course Apple is the most reliable, their laptops start at 1k.

Generally when people talk about reliable laptops it's certain models rather than the company that makes them. You'll get recommended the Dell XPS 13 all day long here but that doesn't mean their entry level Inspiron 1100s get the same recommendation.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

A 2000 budget does put you in spitting distance of the "thin n light" 15 inch gaming laptop tier.

Things like Aero 15, MSI GS66, Mag-15, Razer Blade etc. If bulk is a big concern.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A slightly less-meaningful distinction since the new Zephyrus G14 is a $1500 laptop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A slightly less-meaningful distinction since the new Zephyrus G14 is a $1500 laptop.

If you can find it in stock...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

oliveoil posted:

As someone who recently ditched a Surface Pro 6 for an XPS 15 (non touch), I honestly think the Surface feels like a much more premium device. The speakers are better, the screen is better (though it's glossy so you can't use it outside). The touchpad is better. It doesn't come loaded down with Dell crapware. The XPS comes with a crappy Killer Wifi card, which I've already had replaced once in a month.

But at the same time, I needed more horsepower for both video editing work and for gaming, and the much better battery life is a huge plus as well. I didn't really use the touch screen all that much, so it wasn't a huge miss.

If you have the budget, and aren't doing a lot of intensive work I'd probably recommend the Surface.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

If you can find it in stock...

Well, okay, yes, but.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, you could buy it for like a hot minute and then it disappeared. I wonder if any orders actually went through.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, you could buy it for like a hot minute and then it disappeared. I wonder if any orders actually went through.

Well people have posted reviews and screenshots on places like Best Buy so I imagine what little inventory they had got burned through.

$1500 does looks like a really competitive price point for the G14 especially when you factor in how similar configs would cost $500+ at other companies (1TB / 16 GB Ram).

Does seem like a one of king product especially given how all the similar competition costs more and gets worse gaming performance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The reviews were up before it actually launched so I have to think a lot/all of them were advanced review units.

Killa B
Jul 11, 2007
Have a very old laptop that poo poo the bed awhile back and looking for a laptop that may be good with memory and decent for some casual gaming and/or streaming. Have a budget of $1,000-$1,500. Not exactly the most tech savvy. Would go desktop but wife is on a constant warpath about space especially now that I'm working from home.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

The reviews were up before it actually launched so I have to think a lot/all of them were advanced review units.

Yeah, iirc all the reviews on Best Buy are marked with a specific logo that indicates they were advance review units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's always interesting to see what actually ships

Supposedly the X390 was going to have a carbon fiber lid like the X1 has, and all the test unit X390s shipped with it, but I've never been able to find the part number even, let alone one for sale