Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mortons stork posted:

Thank god the liberals are here to stop the rise of fascism.

Just like last time you seem the German liberals will name the lz 129 hindenburg instead of Hitler as a way to "stick it" to the fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1366374567212638214

:getin:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

They should bring back the guillotine for convicted politicians who do corruption.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Someone rich and/or powerful actually facing consequences has made me burst out in gleeful laughter.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
He's sentenced to 1 year in prison with 2 yrs probation, but he might not have to serve any time whatsoever because lawyer bullshit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Svensken posted:

He's sentenced to 1 year in prison with 2 yrs probation, but he might not have to serve any time whatsoever because lawyer bullshit.

Rumour is he'll face home detention to which :lol:, the guy owns mansions and it's a pandemic. What a consequence.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Svensken posted:

Because money.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
The fact Sarkozy will most likely not have to spend a single second in jail despite campaigning for years on sending every convict to jail even when faced with very light sentences is not surprising at all but still revolting.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Someone tell me about Hungary.

Why do Hungarians so overwhelmingly vote for conservative parties? It seems absolutely insane, with some 85% of all votes going to them, of which 75% going to the ruling coalition of fash and also-fash. Note that's not seats, that's raw votes.

What's more it wasn't always so; Hungary had a socdem government with a comfortable coalition majority up until the 2008 financial crisis.

How does a country go from that to one where the vast majority of people vote for nationalist parties? What do they have to offer to the voters besides that? Could someone familiar with Hungarian politics shed some light on that.

Note that I'd be very cautious saying that it's due to voter suppression; the flip was sudden and absolute and resulted in numbers which have been holding steady since, and it occured when the centre-left government was in power. Even if it was responsible for a few percent of the vote in recent years it hardly explains that gulf without a full-on military dictatorship with political prison camps and gulags for those who vote for the opposition. We're talking 3-4 times as many voters for the fash coalition as every other party combined.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 3, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'd suggest reading Crashed by Adam Tooze (2018) to get the full perspective on just how screwed most of the former soviet bloc (and Hungary especially) were by the global financial crisis and the following eurocrisis. They were ripe for a demagouge after 2008.

As for Hungary's tendancy to go nationalist, it goes all the way back to the treaty of Trianon. You have the perfect powder keg of a strong national myth, poor economic conditions, a conspirational mindset in voters and tons of displaced expats who'd want to live in Hungary/former Hungary permanently if conditions were better and feel resentment to the rest of the world for splitting them from relatives and home locale.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 4, 2021

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Private Speech posted:

Someone tell me about Hungary.

Why do Hungarians so overwhelmingly vote for conservative parties? It seems absolutely insane, with some 85% of all votes going to them, of which 75% going to the ruling coalition of fash and also-fash. Note that's not seats, that's raw votes.

What's more it wasn't always so; Hungary had a socdem government with a comfortable coalition majority up until the 2008 financial crisis.

General non Hungary specific reason: the average person doesn't vote for a party/candidate because they have a deeply held commitment to a certain ideology or worldview. The average person is also uninformed on most issues, regardless of their nominal level of education. If poo poo breaks people will vote for the major party that wasn't in charge at the moment that poo poo obviously started to break. If poo poo breaks badly or the mainstream parties have ruined their image over an extended time, people vote for a loudmouth who can spin a narrative about destroying the system or blaming the problems on some minority regardless of whether it makes any sense.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

To reinforce that point, in Hungary there is an old popular narrative that all of politics are crooks because they didn't prohibit old politicians from the soviet era from participating. This might be true or it might be false, but it really doesn't matter. The narrative is enough for a strongman like Orban to make their own space.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Another election, another day of everything getting worse.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

suck my woke dick posted:

The average person is also uninformed on most issues, regardless of their nominal level of education. If poo poo breaks people will vote for the major party that wasn't in charge at the moment that poo poo obviously started to break. If poo poo breaks badly or the mainstream parties have ruined their image over an extended time, people vote for a loudmouth who can spin a narrative about destroying the system or blaming the problems on some minority regardless of whether it makes any sense.
The weird thing in the Netherlands is that poo poo breaks and somehow people vote for the ruling party even harder, i guess to show daddy we love him and try to get him to be nicer? Idk, it's baffling.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Another election, another day of everything getting worse.

But didn't you get some sort of high score for parties in parliament at least?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

But didn't you get some sort of high score for parties in parliament at least?

Yes, we now have 3 or even 4 fascist parties. I lost count.

Osmosisch posted:

The weird thing in the Netherlands is that poo poo breaks and somehow people vote for the ruling party even harder, i guess to show daddy we love him and try to get him to be nicer? Idk, it's baffling.

Symptoms bad causes very very good etc

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Osmosisch posted:

I think a large part of it is that people are mostly uninformed and the ruling party (if right wing) gets away with a loving lot with the major news outlets framing everything they do in the most positive possible light.

You should have seen the way they were all gushing over his Corona briefings. But the PM also takes his bike to work and OMG isn't daddy just the most normal, down to earth dude????!???!?

It's as if these disingenuous dipshits don't realize how much preferable biking is to driving in The Hague's loving inner city.

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

I've been thinking about getting in to Europe. Any suggestions for easy beginner countries?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sector Corrector posted:

I've been thinking about getting in to Europe. Any suggestions for easy beginner countries?

the Netherlands, we can always use new people to completely drain of hope and joy.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sector Corrector posted:

Save yourself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Sector Corrector posted:

If you speak a language then whichever country that language is from is probably a good choice. If it's just English, uhh, Ireland exists, but you got hosed by Brexit which was at least in part motivated by that very reasoning.

Other than that the Nordics, Benelux, Germany, Switzerland are decent from a QoL (or more accurately income) perspective. Otherwise don't choose a far-right country like Poland or Hungary, but aside from that pick wherever feels better. If you don't care about making money Romania and Croatia are pretty cool places in some ways.

e: I wouldn't recommend Austria unless you like Austrian or A/H history for some reason, but it would be a good choice if you do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 18, 2021

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hey PS, what's wrong with Austria, in your view? Pre-pandemic it was a lot of fun.

I mean, other than immigration being hsrd, ofc.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I feel they're a bit more nationalistic than Germany/Switzerland that's all, so I'd rather choose those two, but I don't think there's anything wrong as such TBH.

I know several people who moved there and seem to like it for whatever it's worth.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They are also much more fash than Germany or Switzerland, and moving towards Hungary fast.

Like, their entire government, top to bottom, is corrupt as gently caress. Even more brazenly than CDU/CSU in Germany.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I didn't want to be that harsh but yeah that's my general impression as well.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh, well, yeah, no discussion there.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Sector Corrector posted:

If you don't mind paying obscene taxes to finance the dozen levels of government for a country that's the size of a rounding error, Belgium might be right for you.
Bonus points if you like rain.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I feel they're a bit more nationalistic than Germany/Switzerland that's all, so I'd rather choose those two, but I don't think there's anything wrong as such TBH.

I know several people who moved there and seem to like it for whatever it's worth.

I'm from the UK and I have been living in Austria for 8.5 years now. I really like it here, but moving here and meeting new people/learning the language was crazy difficult and took a long time.
I only really started to feel like it was "home" after 5 years of living here. Now I can't imagine myself living anywhere else, but yeah it was super difficult integrating into this country. The people are... difficult to put it politely.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

They are also much more fash than Germany or Switzerland, and moving towards Hungary fast.

Like, their entire government, top to bottom, is corrupt as gently caress. Even more brazenly than CDU/CSU in Germany.

I thought corruption only existed in Southern Europe and with all those pesky eastern european untermensch? I might be just a tiny bit bitter of all the lovely rhetoric I've heard since I was literally a child, mind you.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Corruption at the billion euros range is not corruption, it's just sound business strategy.

Also I would seriously advise anyone wanting to come to eu that they should come vaccinated for covid because lol at our rollout.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I thought corruption only existed in Southern Europe and with all those pesky eastern european untermensch? I might be just a tiny bit bitter of all the lovely rhetoric I've heard since I was literally a child, mind you.

Austria is Southern Europe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BabyFur Denny posted:

Austria is Southern Europe
It is in fact both Southern Europe and Eastern Europe.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Austria is arguably the Southest of Europe

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

An insane mind posted:

I think a large part of it is that people are mostly uninformed and the ruling party (if right wing) gets away with a loving lot with the major news outlets framing everything they do in the most positive possible light.

You should have seen the way they were all gushing over his Corona briefings. But the PM also takes his bike to work and OMG isn't daddy just the most normal, down to earth dude????!???!?

It's as if these disingenuous dipshits don't realize how much preferable biking is to driving in The Hague's loving inner city.

I think some normally pretty big issues like the childcare fraud stuff was swept under by covid, it would've been a bigger deal without covid I expect.

As far as covid goes, trying to convince people that we didn't do that great is exhausting.

February: Look at China, that poo poo will hit Europe too
Nah, we're much more advanced than China, it'll be fine

March: Look at Italy, that poo poo will hit the Netherlands too
Nah, we're much more hygienic than Italy, it'll be fine

August: The second wave will be just as bad as the first wave
Nah, it's mostly over now, we beat covid, open 'er up

October: Look at how Vietnam, New Zealand and most of Asia are doing, we could be doing much better just like them
No, those are very different countries from us, we are densely populated and our weak rear end measures are basically the best you could hope for

December: They're implementing additional measures only now, numbers could've been much lower if we had put some measures in place sooner instead of continuously waiting for the very last possible moment
Yeah, well, hindsight is 20/20 we could not have known how bad this would be

And that's where I gave up.

And now we have people voting for the right-wing party because as opposed to other crises where a worldwide crisis affecting our 17 million inhabitant country is squarely on the shoulders of our current government, apparently a pandemic is a freebie to having handled it great. "I normally vote left but we need a strong leader like Rutte during a pandemic" - gently caress right off. And this fucker has been in power for 10 years now so any preparedness issues are also squarely on him. I don't think Rutte did as poo poo as Trump or Bolsonaro, but what he did was mediocre at best.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Griefor posted:

I think some normally pretty big issues like the childcare fraud stuff was swept under by covid, it would've been a bigger deal without covid I expect.

As far as covid goes, trying to convince people that we didn't do that great is exhausting.

February: Look at China, that poo poo will hit Europe too
Nah, we're much more advanced than China, it'll be fine

March: Look at Italy, that poo poo will hit the Netherlands too
Nah, we're much more hygienic than Italy, it'll be fine

August: The second wave will be just as bad as the first wave
Nah, it's mostly over now, we beat covid, open 'er up

October: Look at how Vietnam, New Zealand and most of Asia are doing, we could be doing much better just like them
No, those are very different countries from us, we are densely populated and our weak rear end measures are basically the best you could hope for

December: They're implementing additional measures only now, numbers could've been much lower if we had put some measures in place sooner instead of continuously waiting for the very last possible moment
Yeah, well, hindsight is 20/20 we could not have known how bad this would be

And that's where I gave up.

And now we have people voting for the right-wing party because as opposed to other crises where a worldwide crisis affecting our 17 million inhabitant country is squarely on the shoulders of our current government, apparently a pandemic is a freebie to having handled it great. "I normally vote left but we need a strong leader like Rutte during a pandemic" - gently caress right off. And this fucker has been in power for 10 years now so any preparedness issues are also squarely on him. I don't think Rutte did as poo poo as Trump or Bolsonaro, but what he did was mediocre at best.

yes but when poo poo hits the fan people are glad someone else is being a tough leader (actually merely pretending to be tough and failing to lead), therefore uncritical support to whatever stupid poo poo that leader does

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jacada posted:

I'm from the UK and I have been living in Austria for 8.5 years now. I really like it here, but moving here and meeting new people/learning the language was crazy difficult and took a long time.
I only really started to feel like it was "home" after 5 years of living here. Now I can't imagine myself living anywhere else, but yeah it was super difficult integrating into this country. The people are... difficult to put it politely.

That sounds like any place though. I've been living in France for 10 years now having moved from the US. I had to learn French which wasn't to bad with my background in Spanish.

France is fine. I like it, but I can understand why not everyone would. I also live near Paris, so there's the whole megalopolis thing of everyone being rather closed in upon themselves, but I really do like everywhere I've visited in France. It's a pretty country, with interesting people, and delicious food. I guess the job market isn't great, but I can't complain. Trying to stay here is pretty hellish though, but again I guess that's like any place in Europe.

The day I get fed up with the French I'd probably go to Ireland, I've only been there a month, in Dublin and over in Sligo, but it felt like home away from home. I don't know what I'd work as however, they certainly don't need English teachers.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
French teacher?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

French teacher?

I'd sooner teach Spanish, and even that I'm shaky on never having learned the grammar. Maybe French, but I'd have too much of a complex not being a native speaker and it's not like I speak it well today. Well-enough obviously, but not to transmit it to others by my standards.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
personally cant wait for the summer where covid will run rampant again and our healthcare professionals will be at their wits end and government response will be even harsher and no money relief
some friends in the uk are planning for summer concerts lol like how??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Honest Thief posted:

personally cant wait for the summer where covid will run rampant again and our healthcare professionals will be at their wits end and government response will be even harsher and no money relief
some friends in the uk are planning for summer concerts lol like how??

Having let our most vulnerable die already and luck into buy enough vaccine for the NHS to use on the population the government is ploughing through with opening up everything in June and it'll take the collapse of the NHS/the government to change that so the general, unchallenged belief is that the second half of the year will be just like things were before.