Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Horse mans is trolling.

Actually, no, I'm not, and it's hilarious that you're so convinced of your own arguments you think any attempt to rebut them is trolling. If I had known that from the outset I wouldn't have bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

horse mans posted:

Actually, no, I'm not, and it's hilarious that you're so convinced of your own arguments you think any attempt to rebut them is trolling. If I had known that from the outset I wouldn't have bothered.

He's trying to say that reading anything other that themes and motifs into a work is the same as believing you're actually a sparkle horse.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are the hardbacks good quality? I'm thinking about ordering some.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

EmmyOk posted:

Are the hardbacks good quality? I'm thinking about ordering some.

I love mine.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You know what, this actually reminds me of the first time that Annie showed the "I am my own person and you can't stop this" side. This was in the same house they are in right now, after all. It might seem like this is Tony's doing, and it is to some degree because everyone in the comic is now upset in some way due to his actions, but ultimately this is Annie showing what she really wants - to have a bond with her dad. Might not be the best idea, might be abuse, but there are no magical strings or brainwashing as it seems, Annie does want her dad to be proud of her. And that's why she walks away from Kat.

This will them both really hard because they are in the dumb teen years.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Am I wrong for wanting to see Anthony and Donald throw down?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

inthesto posted:

Am I wrong for wanting to see Anthony and Donald throw down?

Of course you are. We all know the Court's position on such things.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Wittgen posted:

Of course you are. We all know the Court's position on such things.

Am I wrong for wanting to see Anthony and Doland break it down?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Anthony and Donnie are both too young to be in DX. :v:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Blackheart posted:

haters gonna hate

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Has that av been taken?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 1, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I am being kind. I don't think you're stupid enough to misread something so badly.

This is correct aside from everything you wrote here.

If you have a problem with how your statement is being interpreted you should perhaps not use words that literally mean exactly what Rumda said.

It doesn't matter how insightful you are if you communicate like an idiot.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you have a problem with how your statement is being interpreted you should perhaps not use words that literally mean exactly what Rumda said.

It doesn't matter how insightful you are if you communicate like an idiot.

Stop being such an otherkin

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

horse mans posted:

What makes you think Annie is in a compromised psychological state?
Probably this page here where she says she's in a compromised psychological state.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1503

Bravest of the lamps may be having some kind of "platonic ideal of a narrative" based breakdown, but your interpretation of the story so far is directly contradicted by the text.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

I am using dictionary definitions. Themes and motifs are self-explanatory.
Themes and motifs can be extremely obvious but they are inherently subtextual, and thus at least somewhat subjective. Expressions of those themes and instances of those motifs can be explicit, but what makes them themes and motifs is how they're interpreted. Or how they're intended, if authorial intent is more important to you.

Otherkin are people who think and act as if fictional creatures were real, and that fantasy art is thus real historical narrative.
Otherkin also believe that they are, in some sense or another, those fictional creatures.

These may seem finicky distinctions but I'm pointing these things out because you're relying so heavily on your word choice being precise and literal.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Splicer posted:

Probably this page here where she says she's in a compromised psychological state.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1503

Bravest of the lamps may be having some kind of "platonic ideal of a narrative" based breakdown, but your interpretation of the story so far is directly contradicted by the text.

There is such a world of difference between "I'm in a compromised psychological state" and "it's taking all of my energy not to break down like a fool" that you're just being disingenuous at this point. Soldiers with shell shock who wake up night after night years after they've returned home in cold sweats, clutching for their gun, are in compromised psychological states. A person the day before their wedding or just before they walk on stage for a theatre performance, or about to start a new job or move to a new country, or who going through a performance review at work, might need all of their energy not to break down. But it doesn't say anything about their ability to do anything, or be coerced by anyone to do anything.

Horse mans is trolling.

You're an rear end.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Annie has spent the entire comic wondering about her family, her mother, and her father, and where he is, and if he's ever coming back. And then he comes back, and she says, "my father has returned, and it's taking all my energy not to break down like a fool." Why would you take such a weird black-and-white view about that statement like, "she's clearly psychologically compromised"? Why can't she be happy, and confused, and have a million questions, and be not sure what to think or feel? What does psychologically compromised even mean? Not able to think clearly? Not able to control her actions? What is it you're trying to get across with that phrase? Remember how she's part flame demon, and that her anger is literally an expression of some mythopoetic being inside her, and it's the same energy that she sapped from her mother as she slowly died with her father unable to do anything? Can you understand why she would want to try and restrain herself when her father returns?

Psychologically compromised.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to the Gunnerkrigg thread. If you say something people don't like, you're trolling. Enjoy your stay!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

horse mans posted:

Annie has spent the entire comic wondering about her family, her mother, and her father, and where he is, and if he's ever coming back. And then he comes back, and she says, "my father has returned, and it's taking all my energy not to break down like a fool." Why would you take such a weird black-and-white view about that statement like, "she's clearly psychologically compromised"? Why can't she be happy, and confused, and have a million questions, and be not sure what to think or feel? What does psychologically compromised even mean? Not able to think clearly? Not able to control her actions? What is it you're trying to get across with that phrase? Remember how she's part flame demon, and that her anger is literally an expression of some mythopoetic being inside her, and it's the same energy that she sapped from her mother as she slowly died with her father unable to do anything? Can you understand why she would want to try and restrain herself when her father returns?

Psychologically compromised.
This is an artistic rendering of the mental state of someone who is just happy and confused, clearly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

You're being too obvious by listing all the reasons she would be psychologically compromised. Your troll through "clever" misreading is just taking the text and saying the exact opposite of it.

Dictionary definitions of themes and motifs are self-explanatory.

You have a broken brain, friend.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This does not indicate a compromised mental state at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She's over the moon! :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Define what "psychologically compromised" means in the context of Annie and her relationship with her father. Explain how the introduction of her father back into live causes this compromise, and what end goals, desires, or perceptions it is compromising, and how.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sorry, did she come back from a WAR and have PTSD? No?? Rethink your definition of compromised mental state, idiot

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Rethink your definition of compromised mental state, idiot

This but unironically. People are just yelling "she's psychologically compromised, isn't it obvious? DUH" without ever bothering to specify what that actually means.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

horse mans posted:

Define what "psychologically compromised" means in the context of Annie and her relationship with her father.
She was going about her life in the court, and her father was missing. Suddenly and unexpectedly, he comes back and more or less assumes total control over her schedule and social life. This utter, radical and and complete shift in her daily routine practically caused her to disassociate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Splicer posted:

She's over the moon! :v:

TKO

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Pulling her away from her social group, forcing changes in her behavior, etc... that's all classical methods of setting up emotional vulnerability and compromising someone's mind. "Compromised mental state" doesn't mean "mentally ill", it means "in a bad place, off balance, and easily manipulated".

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
My copy of Traveler just came in

So brave :(

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
The only thing that stands out to me on Wednesday's update is 'Gee, Donny, you really think he's cutting this poo poo short because of the time?'

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No he doesn't, he's trying to shoot down an excuse.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
It seems like that kind of indirect move is the exact sort that would just flop with Tony. And it certainly seemed to do exactly that.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

VictorGrunn posted:

It seems like that kind of indirect move is the exact sort that would just flop with Tony. And it certainly seemed to do exactly that.

As Donny apparently is well aware

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's very odd, comparing Donny and Anja's faces to Tony's.

Tony's face is extremely detailed, while D and A barely even have eyes, but despite that they have more emotion.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rasamune posted:

As Donny apparently is well aware
I imagine this was an opening gambit, a necessary step in the overall plan to get Anthony's poo poo together but not expected to end things on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:siren: Gasp! This page is confirmation that he's being mind controlled! :siren: