Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

It seems like it's exactly the same as the Core V1 but with some additional slats cut into the front of it for more airflow, and square power buttons instead of round?

Edit: oh, duh, the front fan sucks the air in from the slats instead of the perforated front... Wonder if that helps noise and if it is still dust-filtered.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

Green Gloves posted:

Why not just sell it now? Are you buying a 4x0?

Either a 480 or a 1070, depending on benchmarks, but I don't want to rush into anything and pay early adopter/supply constraint fees. Wasn't really planning on upgrading until August and don't have another GPU to toss into the system...but then again, I still have a 360 and a bunch of Games With Gold I never ended up playing (because I got my PC, ha).

What's the recommended marketplace around here?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Strix came in! Confirmed the funky issue with my Rift not working was with trying to use display adapters on a 7970 without an HDMI port, works fine on the new card. After loading up a couple things in the Rift, I'm glad I went for the 80 and not the 70. Heads up for any QNIX folks, couple other forum reports of the display not coming up proper on Windows boot on Pascal if the refresh rate was set OVER 80hz. They said it'd work OK to boot up at <80hz then switch to 96hz or whatever after startup and set it back before shutdown. I did a custom res through the control panel, no patching or CRU or anything and put it at 80hz, lower than I'd like but it's working OK at least.

Lightly tested clock results are below while running Heaven. +230 on the boost clock crashed the driver pretty quick, it ran for hours OK playing games and stuff earlier at the +210 setting in the screencap no problem, but the driver crashed literally right after taking the screenshot. Apparently need to back it down a touch more and run more proper tests but looks like my chip is pretty good and will hang out at ~2040MHz.

First time buying a current gen video card since getting into PC gaming when the Core 2 was coming out, I'm a happy camper :pcgaming:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Here is the official hot fix thread for that 144hz flicker issue: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/943822/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-368-51-released-6-17-16-/1/

e: someone posted a workaround on reddit:

"TL;DR: Fixing it (temporarily) consists of two steps: Adjusting the power management settings in the Nvidia Control Panel to either Adaptive or Maximum, and completely disabling Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel (which sometimes defaults to ON, sometimes after reboots. You should check these settings on every boot because reboots sometimes do cause certain Nvidia settings to be reset (Vsync setting and the desktop colors for example).
I am now going to dip the gently caress out of this post before I get mass downvoted yet again. (ed: lmao, r/nvidia, never change)"

Also, I think I'm just going to avoid that hotfix. Too many reports from people experiencing new unrelated behavior and even bugs. Slightly worried they didn't cleanly cherry pick the fix.

edit: lmao, the guy is being downvoted again:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4ph4k5/psa1080_flickeringartifact_issue_at_144hz_nvidia/

reddit nvidia astro turfer illuminati?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 23, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kyle Bennett's 11 year meltdown still going strong https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4ph1d5/kyle_bennett_is_mad_amd_gpu_stack_is_about_to/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The name Kyle Bennett is still relatively new to me, as I've never relied on HardOCP for reviews.

This is a thing with lots of historical precedent, then, or is it just because of the recent Fury reviewer sample thing?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The name Kyle Bennett is still relatively new to me, as I've never relied on HardOCP for reviews.

This is a thing with lots of historical precedent, then, or is it just because of the recent Fury reviewer sample thing?
He's had a very odd grudge against AMD ever since the Pentium 4 shitapocalypse days, and it only got worse after AMD bought ATI, I think the only person more sore than him about the latter is Jen-Hsun Huang.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What I wouldn't give to be in that guy's head for a moment, just to know why he's got that grudge.

Wait, no, I know why. It's because tying your identity to a brand or product is stupid as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

His reviews are fun. It's great watching someone outright contradict their own data.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Got my Gigabyte 1070 today. Managed to fit it in my case, I was surprised but it seems like the cooler length is basically the same as the MSI 970 4G.

edit: Also went down to a single 8 pin versus dual 8+6 pins

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 23, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I wouldn't be sore about $1000 being wasted on a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition for 11 years, it really is a complete mystery why he holds such a grudge.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Green Gloves posted:

I mean the original owner literally lives with 0.5 mile of me lol. I think I could get away with pretending I am the original owner. Just say you moved or something.

And the name on the credit card? Ignoring the overall issue of committing fraud, of course.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

twxabfn posted:

Either a 480 or a 1070, depending on benchmarks, but I don't want to rush into anything and pay early adopter/supply constraint fees. Wasn't really planning on upgrading until August and don't have another GPU to toss into the system...but then again, I still have a 360 and a bunch of Games With Gold I never ended up playing (because I got my PC, ha).

What's the recommended marketplace around here?

SA Mart or Craigslist. Dont do Ebay. I am not sure what the prices are for a used 960. But even with the early adopter fee considered you would get more for your card right now. A 1070 or 480 might drop by $30 in August.

edit: I sold my 980 before June 10th and the price cuts. If you think about selling just do it before new cards arrive.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 23, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

HardOCP has been a laughingstock for almost as long as I can remember.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kyle Bennet's entire stack is self-destructing

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
He's currently stuck in "Raja tweeted about Vega, thus AMD is trying to bury Polaris." I think the simpler explanation is that Polaris can't cannibalize sales of Vega, and that if Vega is a few months away (optimistically 4-5 months, pessimistically 6-7) there is no reason not to hype a different segment of the market to get people to backdown from buying a 1070/80. I mean realsitically speaking, that's what a 4096SP part would be fighting based on that AoTS benchmark and if Polaris 10 is roughly a 390X/980.

AotS, Crazy 1080p
1080 = 58.7 fps
RX 480CF = 62.5 fps
RX 480 = 36 fps

Assuming perfect scaling, it'd be 72 fps, so CF scaling seems to be about 85%. The RX 480CF setup was reported to be average 1.81 utilization (so 90%? Why not just say 90%?!). 2304 * .85 * .9 * 2 = 3525SP equivalent (? Someone correct me, check my math). So Vega, at a rumored 4096SPs, is totally outside the performance envelope that Polaris could possibly achieve, and even cutdown Vega would compete well with GP104, sitting between it and GP102 in performance. That's an entirely different loving market, maybe Crossfire RX480s overclocked could come inside spitting distance of full Vega, but lol otherwise. Really, the only real lament I have is nothing sits particularly well inside that gap.

GP102
Vega 10
GP104
Gap
Polaris 10
GP106
Polaris 11
GP107

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

He's currently stuck in "Raja tweeted about Vega, thus AMD is trying to bury Polaris." I think the simpler explanation is that Polaris can't cannibalize sales of Vega, and that if Vega is a few months away (optimistically 4-5 months, pessimistically 6-7) there is no reason not to hype a different segment of the market to get people to backdown from buying a 1070/80. I mean realsitically speaking, that's what a 4096SP part would be fighting based on that AoTS benchmark and if Polaris 10 is roughly a 390X/980.

AotS, Crazy 1080p
1080 = 58.7 fps
RX 480CF = 62.5 fps
RX 480 = 36 fps

Assuming perfect scaling, it'd be 72 fps, so CF scaling seems to be about 85%. The RX 480CF setup was reported to be average 1.81 utilization (so 90%? Why not just say 90%?!). 2304 * .85 * .9 * 2 = 3525SP equivalent (? Someone correct me, check my math). So Vega, at a rumored 4096SPs, is totally outside the performance envelope that Polaris could possibly achieve, and even cutdown Vega would compete well with GP104, sitting between it and GP102 in performance. That's an entirely different loving market, maybe Crossfire RX480s overclocked could come inside spitting distance of full Vega, but lol otherwise. Really, the only real lament I have is nothing sits particularly well inside that gap.

GP102
Vega 10
GP104
Gap
Polaris 10
GP106
Polaris 11
GP107

Out of curiosity ... have there been any 480 leaks that aren't AOTS related

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Descent/Freespace were an Interplay property and ownership of Interplay properties got massively hosed up when they went bankrupt. We are seriously no-poo poo lucky that they ever made it to GOG.

True, (But if they would have made FS3 they wouldn't have gone under :v: )

Really though I hate how so many of the great companies of yester year, seemed to have some gold hits, then come out with some unrelated garbage that makes them have to fold, then the IP gets lost/stuck/screwed in the shuffle and we never get the proper sequal/follow up/redux we so desperately crave. Yet COD lives on again and again. :negative:

At least Gearbox did something right by redoing Homeworld, and the latest patch, while not fixing the UI worth a drat, at least made the game a ton better and closer to being true to the original, while also introducing some new neat stuff like the true physics projectiles vs RNG which is a nice touch I have found so far.

Hell I am pissed at Relic even as they release the gold that was Homeworld 1, they spinoff Homeworld Cataclysm to a 1 hit studio that made a great game, but somehow happens to "loose" the source code, then they come out with HW2 which while good, sort of looses the whole point/luster of the original, then they never venture to it again while just making endless somewhat good/somewhat not Warhamer games and seem to completely forget what got them on the map in the first place. (Before even Sierra fizzled of course). Tribes at least got a semi good current offering at least out of that.)

I am just sour I guess, Hopefully VR can breath some new life into the game scene bringing up some fantastic classics rebooted with the VR touch as the golden Flight Sim era can return with a vengeance with the Presence VR gives you, both in Space and just the Air (Rise of Flight VR Dammit :argh: ) We will have to see.

On that test earlier with the 980Ti + 960 for Physx, now that you have a 1080, what about trying with the 980Ti for Physx for shits n giggles if you still have it?

I still have a 9800GT lying around I originally got for a Physx accelerator and really, has Physx required more horsepower than what it could offer since then? Has Physx even gotten updated since the 480GTX days?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yea it's called actually reading the thread, 480s are falling out of trucks in China and people have been running FS Ultra at stock for ~2900, hitting almost stock 1070 numbers in Overwatch at 1380mhz

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

wicka posted:

HardOCP has been a laughingstock for almost as long as I can remember.

Their reviews are conducted in such a fucktarded way. Different settings across cards? That "highest playable settings" centric poo poo is just worthless.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I could see an approach based on targeting a set framerate and showing how it looks because that's better for judging what you get from a card, but you'd need a real trustworthy reviewer to pull it off.

Also AMD's twitter is all cocky and poo poo, they're linking AT's review of the 4850/4870 and saying something seems very familiar.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have rubbed two neurons together and they brained a thought:

What's the market share situation look like in China? Does it mirror the Western markets? In the world of cheap minspec shitboxes packed into LAN centers, or slightly-above personal rigs, is there any reason to NOT buy AMD?

It sure would explain why these things are falling off the backs of trucks left and right.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amDuBHloqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LvP-SifoCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933LBq34y8I

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have rubbed two neurons together and they brained a thought:

What's the market share situation look like in China? Does it mirror the Western markets? In the world of cheap minspec shitboxes packed into LAN centers, or slightly-above personal rigs, is there any reason to NOT buy AMD?

It sure would explain why these things are falling off the backs of trucks left and right.

On the flip side, the GTX 750 doesn't need a +12V power connector, and the 750 / maybe 750 Ti got re-released with a GM206 based GPU in asian markets: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2778/geforce-gtx-750-v2

I bet that the 750 / 750 Ti are going to keep a pretty big market share for a while.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RX 460 will also not use a power connector and it seems to have the 380's performance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

RX 460 will also not use a power connector and it seems to have the 380's performance.

This is awesome if so, 7970 performance for under $100 without a power connector would bust the cheapo market wide open. I think at that point one might be able to compete with consoles by tossing a GPU in something cheap like this $179 Dell: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-t20/fs

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

This is awesome if so, 7970 performance for under $100 without a power connector would bust the cheapo market wide open. I think at that point one might be able to compete with consoles by tossing a GPU in something cheap like this $179 Dell: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-t20/fs

I dunno, it feels debatable about RX 460 performance, but if we want to talk about bus powered cards, I'd be on the look out for bus powered RX 470s. Sure, no OC, but if SP counts are also being guessed right than there is no way an RX 460 could catch it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nice (witcher 3 in particular)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Are there any NUC sized boxes that have full PCI-E slots? A bus powered 460/470 in one of those could be luggable between KVM stations even if the attendant ~150W power brick wouldn't be.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Nice (witcher 3 in particular)

The guy who did the Witcher 3 and Overwatch 1080p bench also says he's running on old drivers that aren't stable so lol (Oh god AMD please have launch drivers).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I kinda thought the card would easily be able to play Witcher 3 maxed out at a locked 60 at 1080p, but it seems to hover around 50fps in that video. Is that not slightly disappointing?

E: Actually, I see that Hairworks is on, which is much more encouraging.

Any reason why this GTA V performance is so disappointing, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3wjKKi0sk

I kinda thought this would be THE 1080p card for a little while at least, but it's nowhere near a locked 60 in this video.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 23, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Are there any NUC sized boxes that have full PCI-E slots? A bus powered 460/470 in one of those could be luggable between KVM stations even if the attendant ~150W power brick wouldn't be.

ok Honestly that would be kinda cool.

Get that Skull Canyon NUC, Have an exposed PCI-E X16 3.0 slot with a sort of stability/extension bracket that you can screw the card down to support it a little. Bamn! done.

For added sillyness, have an external GPU PSU for adding up to 2 8 pin power for a 1080 on that thing.

I'd admit, I would possibly buy one of those if you could do that over one of those TB3 GPU docks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I kinda thought the card would easily be able to play Witcher 3 maxed out at a locked 60 at 1080p, but it seems to hover around 50fps in that video. Is that not slightly disappointing?

I kinda thought this would be THE 1080p card for a little while at least, but it's nowhere near a locked 60 in this video.

I don't know much about Skylake performance, but isn't GTA V based off the CPU performance more than 99% of games now?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine here I come!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bardeh posted:

For a surefire padlocked 60fps W3 you need a 980ti/1070. Maybe invest in FreeSync, alternatively the game has great triple buffer vsync so it's not a problem.
e; we're talking HBAO+, TXAA on, non-crappy grass/foliage, HairWorks off right?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 23, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bardeh posted:

GTA5 runs like poo poo on all flavors of GCN for no easily apparent reason. Which is odd because console performance is consistent. It might ba a problem with their use of the DX11 API.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I remember him clearly from when I was like 12 because of all of the dumb drama between the [H] forum and other lovely forums like Genmay, I remember thinking that he was immature and whiny even by my 12 year old standards.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

ok Honestly that would be kinda cool.

Get that Skull Canyon NUC, Have an exposed PCI-E X16 3.0 slot with a sort of stability/extension bracket that you can screw the card down to support it a little. Bamn! done.

For added sillyness, have an external GPU PSU for adding up to 2 8 pin power for a 1080 on that thing.

I'd admit, I would possibly buy one of those if you could do that over one of those TB3 GPU docks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-skull-canyon-nuc-core,31438.html

We expect an after-action report. =P

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Really though I hate how so many of the great companies of yester year, seemed to have some gold hits, then come out with some unrelated garbage that makes them have to fold, then the IP gets lost/stuck/screwed in the shuffle and we never get the proper sequal/follow up/redux we so desperately crave. Yet COD lives on again and again. :negative:\

The truly weird thing is that Interplay wasn't some fly-by-night studio, they were a massive name in the 90s. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout, Earthworm Jim, Descent, FreeSpace, etc. Heck, even a bunch of Star Trek titles. If I had to guess, they may well have been the largest publisher around at the time. Certainly in the top 3 or so.

I guess they could never make the books balance or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I think Brian Fargo left the company to some French vultures (Caens) after some expensive "FMV is the future!!" mistakes and literally all revenue that Interplay made after a certain point was being funneled into the Caens' magnificent failure of a company, Titus (better known for the worst 16 bit ports known to man and the developer of the eternal classic Superman 64)

poo poo was pretty hilarious