Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Why does a bear want maple syrup and not honey? This counters everything I know about bears

Maybe it learned the joys of maple syrup from eating trash pancakes.

The desert festival is great, but there's so much to do in a day, it feels like you have to set your rear end on fire to get it all in. The chef is hilarious and a little creepy (let me cook for you so I don't have to kill you vibes), Emily's booth is fun and the only question I got wrong was how many steps. But gently caress scorpion carp.

Can you get the green rain only once per summer, or is there a chance for more?

Has anyone told Concerned Ape that it's a bad idea to smoke food with coal? Video game logic, yeah yeah, but I've burned coal for heating. It's nothing like charcoal, and the idea of smoking food with it is gross and wrong. Sure, there were coal stoves, but the coal was in the firebox, the smoke went up the chimney and only the heat came in contact with food/cooking pans, not the smoke. Either there's some hosed up anatomy in Stardew world that lets people digest coal smoked fish, or coal must be an entirely different thing than in reality. Or CA has never smelled coal smoke in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now that I got most upgrades purchased I finally got around to buying a dehydrator and I think I'm gonna go hard on these. Sure per fruit its more profitable to turn them into wine, but in the time it takes to produce 1 fruit into 1 wine you can make 6 batches of dehydrated fruit and use up 30 fruits. Hell, maybe I'll use kegs to turn my veg into juice. No more bootlegging here, just fruit leathers and juice. I'm sure Alex will dig it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm sorry, Assassin Junimo?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hobo on Fire posted:

I won't say they are all worse than the pink haired anime girl from SVE, but if the bar you want to clear is "better than her" you'll be disappointed more often than not.

That says quite a bit there.

I appreciate the write-ups.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm on Fall 14 and I just now noticed the stars on Pierre's bulleting board.
For my last request, one had already been filled in, so I'm assuming they register quests per person? Or, since it's Sunday and a new week started...per week?
What's the benefit of getting three stars? Prize ticket every three fulfilled requests?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Alxprit posted:

Kiwi is love.
Kiwi is life.
Kiwi will knife a bitch.

TurnipFritter posted:

(the Ninjas are basically the main characters here)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Is it me or did the experience required for level 10 go up? Like it is taking forever for me.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I think I've been playing too much stardew the last few days I woke up dreaming of an ingame painting featuring three fish called 'menage á trout' ...

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
How horny is this ninja

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Filox posted:

Has anyone told Concerned Ape that it's a bad idea to smoke food with coal? Video game logic, yeah yeah, but I've burned coal for heating. It's nothing like charcoal, and the idea of smoking food with it is gross and wrong. Sure, there were coal stoves, but the coal was in the firebox, the smoke went up the chimney and only the heat came in contact with food/cooking pans, not the smoke. Either there's some hosed up anatomy in Stardew world that lets people digest coal smoked fish, or coal must be an entirely different thing than in reality. Or CA has never smelled coal smoke in his life.[/spoiler]

I'm sure its just a game mechanic taking priority over realism. There needed to be a cost associated with smoking fish so it costs one coal, that's the only thing that made sense.

I'm sure that coal smoked fish is pretty gross, but considering these fish have been sitting in a chest in my living room past year, along with some bug meat, 3 pairs of shoes, a spring onion, and like a bunch of wallpaper, does it really matter?

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm sure its just a game mechanic taking priority over realism. There needed to be a cost associated with smoking fish so it costs one coal, that's the only thing that made sense.

I'm sure that coal smoked fish is pretty gross, but considering these fish have been sitting in a chest in my living room past year, along with some bug meat, 3 pairs of shoes, a spring onion, and like a bunch of wallpaper, does it really matter?

Yes, of course it's for game function, but it still sounds horrible, even worse than old onions and bug meat. Probably because I have personal experience with coal smoke.

Son of Rodney posted:

I think I've been playing too much stardew the last few days I woke up dreaming of an ingame painting featuring three fish called 'menage á trout' ...

If your dream painting were in the game, I'd buy it just for the name.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

Considering that the charcoal kiln makes "coal" out of wood, maybe the mistake isn't that CA thinks coal smoke is okay, but rather that he thinks charcoal is something you'd find in a mine?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just assumed that for the purposes of gameplay charcoal and coal are abstracted into the same thing I'll tell you what.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
obviously the farmer knows the difference between coal and charcoal, but they put them in the same stack for your convenience

whenever you use the smoker they pick out the charcoal, while the furnace uses coal

and, uh, dust sprites are fey creatures who drop a smattering of both coal and charcoal so the player has no way to track how much they have of either, it just coincidentally always adds up to whatever you need

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm on Fall 14 and I just now noticed the stars on Pierre's bulleting board.
For my last request, one had already been filled in, so I'm assuming they register quests per person? Or, since it's Sunday and a new week started...per week?
What's the benefit of getting three stars? Prize ticket every three fulfilled requests?

The way it’s working for me is a prize ticket for every three completed requests, and the stars show how many I’ve completed of these three when I pick up a new request. Certainly for me it doesn’t seem to be resetting over time or by person (and failed requests have no impact), so not sure what would cause it to go down.

And with minor experimenting, even if I pick up two requests on consecutive days with 2 stars (both saying they’d give me a prize ticket), only the first completed gives the ticket and the second counts as 1 star in a new round. Like, what it actually says on the board doesn’t impact when you get the prize ticket if you have multiple on the go - it’s just a prize for every three completions.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
All these nitpicks about cooking/smelting fuel in a game where after you're exhausted from singlehandedly chopping down half a forest, you can yank a few sapient fish out of the nearest river or pond and then swallow them alive and whole with an entire jar of mayo as a chaser and be good as new and ready to chop down the other half. :v:

Edit: Oh yes, and also a game where I can make like 96% of the population of my town worship the ground I walk on just by constantly giving them plates full of chopped-up raw snails that I dredged out of my farm's runoff pond and have been carrying around in my backpack for several weeks.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 30, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It's obviously Canadian.

it's greasy af

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Am I crazy, or does the game no longer penalize you for going to sleep after midnight? I'm playing unmodded, and I seem to recall that you used to wake up with less energy if you went to bed after midnight. But even when I'm going to bed really late, I always start with full energy the next day.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you level up that day, which happens often early in the game, you always start at full energy the next day. Even if you pass out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't think there was any penalty for going to bed after midnight, just for being exhausted.

Also, carrots can be fed to Señor Ed for a day long speed boost. Presumably it still works if you named your horse something else, but I wouldn't know.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Filox posted:

Maybe it learned the joys of maple syrup from eating trash pancakes.

The desert festival is great, but there's so much to do in a day, it feels like you have to set your rear end on fire to get it all in. The chef is hilarious and a little creepy (let me cook for you so I don't have to kill you vibes), Emily's booth is fun and the only question I got wrong was how many steps. But gently caress scorpion carp.

Can you get the green rain only once per summer, or is there a chance for more?

Has anyone told Concerned Ape that it's a bad idea to smoke food with coal? Video game logic, yeah yeah, but I've burned coal for heating. It's nothing like charcoal, and the idea of smoking food with it is gross and wrong. Sure, there were coal stoves, but the coal was in the firebox, the smoke went up the chimney and only the heat came in contact with food/cooking pans, not the smoke. Either there's some hosed up anatomy in Stardew world that lets people digest coal smoked fish, or coal must be an entirely different thing than in reality. Or CA has never smelled coal smoke in his life.

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that last paragraph since on the one hand, you preface it with "video game logic", but then finish up like you mean smoking in reality?
Is the only coal available where you live raw lignite, and have you genuinely never seen folks smoke with charcoal (either lump or briquettes, or even coconut briquettes etc.) and just add wood logs/chips/saw dust? :confused:

To stay on that topic, god the fish smoker owns so much. I'm aware that it's not good for min-maxing since you technically have to factor in the cost of coal, but when you just have some coal lying around after a couple of mine dives, it's such a great way to boost the income from the top quality fish you have, especially since the quality level is kept unlike in the dehydrator.

That said, the dehydrator still is super-OP for rolling in stupid amounts of cash from the hundreds of base-quality cranberries you're raking in during fall.

1.6 owns so much.

CA owns so much.

Everything is cool and good.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It seems odd that it takes coal and not wood. You could even have it give you a different and more expensive product if you use hardwood as fuel instead of just wood.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Funnily enough, charcoal briquettes are made from coal dust: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briquette

Of course, we aren't making briquettes in the charcoal kiln. But it seems like there's less of a difference than you'd expect.

They could change the recipe to 1 coal + 1 wood but then people would complain that it's not realistic to just throw some random piece of wood into your smoker.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Stardew modding, is there anything it can't do? (seriously tho, which one of you is this?)

No Coal For Machines
Removes the need for coal when using the fish smoker, furnace, or heavy furnace, with an option to replace it with wood.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AJA posted:

Stardew modding, is there anything it can't do? (seriously tho, which one of you is this?)

No Coal For Machines
Removes the need for coal when using the fish smoker, furnace, or heavy furnace, with an option to replace it with wood.

Neat, I don't mind it for the furnace, but I'll use that mod to turn it off for the smoker

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

AJA posted:

No Coal For Machines

Yoink! Thanks.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Solumin posted:

Funnily enough, charcoal briquettes are made from coal dust: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briquette

Of course, we aren't making briquettes in the charcoal kiln. But it seems like there's less of a difference than you'd expect.

They could change the recipe to 1 coal + 1 wood but then people would complain that it's not realistic to just throw some random piece of wood into your smoker.

No they're made from charcoal dust.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not getting any golden ticket's offered from the job board next to Pierre's shop at all. I got one when I first unlocked it and 0 since. It's been a month a half.....

it keeps saying like 200g
and maria will be happy (or grateful, whatever)

Is that happening for anyone else? Or is other people getting them often?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 30, 2024

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm not getting any golden ticket's offered from the job board next to Pierre's shop at all. I got one when I first unlocked it and 0 since. It's been a month a half.....

it keeps saying like 200g
and maria will be happy (or grateful, whatever)

Is that happening for anyone else? Or is other people getting them often?

You get one every 3 completed jobs iirc

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah that's the way it seems to work for me.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Daztek posted:

You get one every 3 completed jobs iirc

Ohhhhhh thank you. I was skipping them because they didn't give tickets. Doh

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If it helps, I did the same until I read about it in this thread. The stars is how you track it.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone gotten more than one green rain in a summer?

Though I suspect it's a once-per-year thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From the wiki:

Green Rain
Green rain occurs randomly once each Summer.
Green Rain Trees and weeds appear in large quantities throughout the entire valley (except on the Beach and in Calico Desert).
Existing tree saplings outside the greenhouse have a chance to fully grow on days of green rain, while mature trees might get covered in moss and/or turn into wild trees for the entire day.
All Green Rain Trees, either spawned or transformed, will revert back into their original tree on the next day.
Weeds spawned by green rain do so non-destructively and disappear the next day.
Certain electronic devices are inoperable during the event.
All TV channels will instead show a green TV static.
The jukebox in the Saloon does not play.
In the first year, most villagers will stay inside the entire day, except Demetrius, Leah, and Linus.
Buildings accessible by the player can be entered at any time of day, regardless of their usual hours.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I did like the villager's reactions to the 1st Green Rain.

Lots of "The world is ending, we are all going to die!!!:supaburn:" Next day "Oh, it was nothing. Can you believe people were worried haha!"

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

I did like the villager's reactions to the 1st Green Rain.

Lots of "The world is ending, we are all going to die!!!:supaburn:" Next day "Oh, it was nothing. Can you believe people were worried haha!"

In SVE: Andy's reaction is basically "judgment day has come, prepare yourself nonbeliever."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pierre sold me a cursed sapling or something because every night I would get a "your apricot tree didn't grow" message. I made *drat sure* the area is clear, I even whacked all the nearby tiles with a pickaxe AND chopping axe. I moved the sapling around and I'm still getting it

The circled areas are the other places I put down a sapling. So ok, I decide gently caress it. I remove the saplings and put them in the greenhouse. I'm still getting the message!

E: Oh and for the first like 10 days the sapling was growing fine. Then it just spontaneously decided to stop growing.

I apparently had an unaccounted apricot tree in a random part of the farm god loving dammit :byodood:

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 30, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alxprit posted:

That part at least sounds kinda amusing without the rest of it. I'd be fine with that as a one-off weirdo in an otherwise fine set of NPCs. It's like taping a knife to a roomba.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Eh, I don't really mind most of the Ridgeside NPCs, and some like Lewis' sister are fun additions.

But yes, the assassin Junimo is sure something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Anyone tried out Market Town?

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/19309

It isn't something I'll use until the end of year 2 at least, but it is so cute and charming. Anyone know if it works or is it just jank from one side to the other?