Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The grapple rules don't clearly indicate that after escaping your grapple you get your speed back. It's maybe sort implied but not outright stated.

You should absolutely 100% give the character that escapes a grapple it's speed back or the game breaks down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Yeah I've noticed a lot of Monsters grapple

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

User0015 posted:

Huzzah, the thread is back!

So to re-iterate, I recently joined an Adventurer's League game I'm still curious about write-ups on 5e that cover mistakes, or rules issues that come up often in the game, or problems that players and the DM will often stumble onto and a good resolution can be hard to figure out during the game itself (ex. how to handle skill checks that don't always map to the default attribute). Some previous suggestions were to read Professor Cirno's robust posts on 5e, I haven't been able to find those, so if any can point me to those it would be great. There's also a blog post here about encounter difficulties: http://slyflourish.com/5e_encounter_building.html but I've never DM'd any game, so I can't compare how hard 5e vs. literally anything. Maybe that just means I need to buy my DM more beer for making encounters? In any case, blog posts are welcomed to that tackle issues like this.

Or, you know, maybe talk about some 'gotcha' moments or problem areas you've had and how you solved them so if it comes up in our game, I can make the same suggestions and we all don't get bogged down wondering what to do or how to handle it sanely.

The example skill checks the book gives do not mesh with the math. They just recycled the old 3.x values while not accounting for the fewer bonuses you get in 5e. There was a poster who adjusted the values appropriately to 5e, but I do not remember who. IIRC, the rule of thumb was to lower every check by 2-3.

I thought it may have been Gradenko, so I checked his blog and couldn't find an entry about it. That link, however, does have monster stats re-balanced for use against a stereotypical fighter. It would be a good start to try to balance encounters using that math so you don't get battles that are either rocket tag or just beating on a sack of HP for forever.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also as a GM a good thing to do is to not have binary pass/fail on skill checks

Lots of checks might always suceed with various amounts of 'however' bad stuff.

Like picking a locked door might alert whoever was on the other side or take an inordinately long amount of time letting some monster patrol find you just as you finish.

Persuasion checks never result in 'nothing happens'. A bad result may make the guy like you less, or convince him to do it but at the cost of his opinion of you leading to complications in the future.

This applies to all skill checks generally and is never stated in the PHB or DMG that it is intended, but it should 100% be the goal of the GM to never have skill checks just be nothing.

The possible exception is knowledge or perception checks where 'you don't know what this monster is' or 'you hear nothing' are easy go to answers, but even here I think a good DM can finagle something better.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I'm coming up with a concept I'm going to use in my game of a guerrilla band of halfling commandos. Sorta make them like the British commandos during WWII. Rag taggish, very resourceful, high spirit even when down. Any ideas for how they might take on bigger foes? The most straight forward I can think of is traps/ambushes, but anyone got anything else?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If you want a group of adventurers to feel like they're punching above their weightclass either give them magic items above their weightclass or make them fight bigger monsters that are hampered somehow.

You could give the players very advantageous terrain or maybe the monster they're fighting is injured somehow. Alternative win conditions like pushing monsters off cliffs or goals of 'steal the mcguffin' where fighting isn't explicitly necessary or wise and the players will just want to run in and steal it and run out.

Just be aware that you're going for the feeling of punching up without the actual danger normally assorted with it. A campaign that constantly walked the knife's edge where one little slip ended with the party getting eviscerated by a monster 5 CR higher than them isn't fun.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Love, Mom & Dad

Agent355 posted:

Also as a GM a good thing to do is to not have binary pass/fail on skill checks

Lots of checks might always suceed with various amounts of 'however' bad stuff.

Like picking a locked door might alert whoever was on the other side or take an inordinately long amount of time letting some monster patrol find you just as you finish.

Persuasion checks never result in 'nothing happens'. A bad result may make the guy like you less, or convince him to do it but at the cost of his opinion of you leading to complications in the future.

This applies to all skill checks generally and is never stated in the PHB or DMG that it is intended, but it should 100% be the goal of the GM to never have skill checks just be nothing.

The possible exception is knowledge or perception checks where 'you don't know what this monster is' or 'you hear nothing' are easy go to answers, but even here I think a good DM can finagle something better.

The DMG has a section at the end for modified rules where it suggests fail forward. Theirs is up to -5 is a fail forward with consequences and past that is a hard fail. My favorite thing as a DM is figuring out how a nat1 is going to fail. It's great to see my players face as they see the one, look at me as i kinda smile too and try and figure out how they ate going to gently caress up without totally screwing them.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Agent355 posted:

The grapple rules don't clearly indicate that after escaping your grapple you get your speed back. It's maybe sort implied but not outright stated.

You should absolutely 100% give the character that escapes a grapple it's speed back or the game breaks down.

That's a great point. I believe that's why your rogue ultimately died, because the DM had ruled you don't get a move afterwards despite breaking a grapple? That doesn't seem sensible to me: Reality wise, people break free from getting grabbed and bolt all the time, and gameplay wise: I get a standard action and a move action, and I can use them in either order, and my standard action freed me from impairment, so yeah, I should be able to run like hell. If I was somehow rooted to the ground by a spell, and I was a caster who could cast Freedom on myself, would I get a move action afterwards?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Big Black Brony posted:

The DMG has a section at the end for modified rules where it suggests fail forward. Theirs is up to -5 is a fail forward with consequences and past that is a hard fail. My favorite thing as a DM is figuring out how a nat1 is going to fail. It's great to see my players face as they see the one, look at me as i kinda smile too and try and figure out how they ate going to gently caress up without totally screwing them.

The first time I heard of the 'fail forward' method was the 13th age LP on here, and it sounds like a pretty good idea. I liked the concept of "You kick open a door on a nat 20: The door flies off it's hinges and slams into the baddie waiting to ambush you, knocking him out cold. You kick open a door on a nat 1: The door flies open and you are greeted with silvered arrows flying towards you from the ambush that had been waiting." Opening the door succeeded regardless of the roll, but the roll determined whether you like the result or not.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

User0015 posted:

That's a great point. I believe that's why your rogue ultimately died, because the DM had ruled you don't get a move afterwards despite breaking a grapple? That doesn't seem sensible to me: Reality wise, people break free from getting grabbed and bolt all the time, and gameplay wise: I get a standard action and a move action, and I can use them in either order, and my standard action freed me from impairment, so yeah, I should be able to run like hell. If I was somehow rooted to the ground by a spell, and I was a caster who could cast Freedom on myself, would I get a move action afterwards?

That was one of the bigger mechanical issues but we also had a problem with table communication that we didn't even realize was a problem until me and the DM argued for like 72 hours. All worked out tho.

I would say anytime you are freed from a movement confining effect you should get your movement back, otherwise there is no point in freeing yourself.

Also in 5e there is no 'move action' so much as you can move up to your speed per turn. Which is really a minor nitpick except remembering that you're allowed to move in one big chunk or as many little chunks as you need with no penalty or special feats required.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Big Black Brony posted:

Yeah but if I remember correctly in the DMG their suggestion for failing forward is if you succed the DC but only by a little amount. Like getting 15 on a DC 15 gives you some sort of failure that still works.

When that is the opposite of what I do. a 15 on a 15 is perfect success, a 10 on a 15 is a success with various consequences.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Wait, does that mean I can move, attack, and move again?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In 5e yes.

You can move, use an item, move, attack, move, taunt the vampire, and move again if you wanted.

This is like standard rogue procedure (assuming melee) because you might walk in beside the fighter, roll your dice and sneak attaks, then use cunning action to disengage and waltz back out.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Allowing characters to move, attack and move again without a feat tax is one of those things from 5e which I think is objectively a good thing and it's one I take as default when running games these days.

But then they made Charge have a feat tax so you win some you lose some.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Which is why the rogue using Disengage as a bonus action is so useful and fun.

Move up to a monster being attacked by a friend, make a melee attack with sneak attack damage dice, disengage, and move out of melee range so you can't be freely retaliated against. All in one turn.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My rogue is a kobold because kobolds are awesome, and not only do I get to do that poo poo I also always attack with advantage because the same requirements to trigger my sneak attack damage trigger kobold's pack tactics.

Little shin stabbin lizard.

yes this the same rogue that the vampire almost killed, chased an invisible kobold over 150 ft.

Also I have two weapons so if i swing and get a hit with my short sword, great, fine, sneak attack dice. yet if I miss the short sword i can swing again with a dagger and go fishing for those sneak attack dice since the actual weapon portion of the attack is insignificant compared to the sneak dice.

I hate power gaming and absolutely refuse to do it (I'm play a martial, so obviously) but the movement rules in 5e are super helpful for rogues.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Although it would get an attack of opportunity on the moving away move unless you have disengage as a bonus action, yeah?

Edit: answered above I guess, okay cool just making sure I understood the split moving stuff correctly.

Agent355 posted:

My rogue is a kobold because kobolds are awesome, and not only do I get to do that poo poo I also always attack with advantage because the same requirements to trigger my sneak attack damage trigger kobold's pack tactics.

Sup fellow kobold player, kobolds ownin' hard. Right now I'm running a kobold wild magic sorcerer who is afraid of magic because he accidentally blew up his band, and my backup character right now will be a kobold artificer who is fascinated by gnomish engineering but wants to "improve" it for Kobold use.

His artificer beast thing is just gonna be a straight up treaded mining drill.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 13, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Updated OP with disclaimer about Zak S which hopefully will stop any future discussion on the topic:

quote:

:siren: :siren: :siren: Important Disclaimer: Mike Mearls, Lead Dev, and Zak S, Consultant, Are Human Garbage :siren: :siren: :siren:

So, a lot of people here tend to have a largely negative view of 5e's writing staff and arguments have been starting up over it. Those arguments should stop and, in an effort to do so, let me just tell the entire story here so anyone can see and read it.

When 5e was coming out, they sought out the consultation of a man named Zak S. Zak S is a jerk who has managed to get banned from every RPG focused internet forum and has a major persecution complex because of it. He is known to love to argue and to attack people on social media. He is a giant pissbaby who can make Donald Trump seem well tempered, to put it mildly. But, for some reason, Mearls liked his blog so he asked him for playtesting advice.

Some forum members wanted to tell Mearls that pissbaby is bad and they didn't want pissbaby to be credited as a consultant alongside industry greats.

Pissbaby Whinypants response was to doxx a trans women who was a member of this forum and harass her until she went into hiding out of fear. Death threats, insults, etc., etc. The all too common routine uses by internet losers that has a very real effect on people but law enforcement does nothing to stop.

Naturally, a lot of forum users were pissed and tried to tell Mearls that this happened, it was a big controversy, and Mearls sided with Zak S. This made a lot of people think (rightfully so) that Mearls is a Pissbaby Neonazi Loser too.

So, basically, a lot of people hold a grudge against 5e's writing staff and, by extension, 5e and feel the need to tell people about Mike "Spineless Nazi Enabler" Mearls and Zak "Evil Baby" S and what they did and still do. Understandable, but it gets out of hand at times.

So, there, that's the story of how two assholes tormented a women over an internet disagreement and why the game's writing staff is hated here.

And I'm following this up with a new thread rule: No More Arguing Or Discussing These Events In This Thread. Take It To The Industry Thread Instead, Where Such Arguments Are Expected.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Although it would get an attack of opportunity on the moving away move unless you have disengage as a bonus action, yeah?

Edit: answered above I guess, okay cool just making sure I understood the split moving stuff correctly.

Sup fellow kobold player, kobolds ownin' hard. Right now I'm running a kobold wild magic sorcerer who is afraid of magic because he accidentally blew up his band, and my backup character right now will be a kobold artificer who is fascinated by gnomish engineering but wants to "improve" it for Kobold use.

His artificer beast thing is just gonna be a straight up treaded mining drill.

Worth noting that goblins (I think) in volo's guide get a disengage as bonus action racial trait, which is suuuuper good.

My kobold made friends with a gold dragon for about a year in her past. At which point he taught her about good and evil and the nature of kobolds (being inherently evil). Eventually he left and told her to 'okay, you be good while I'm gone. Cya' without really thinking about it, because, you know, dragons don't give a poo poo about anything that isn't themselves really. So now I got this kobold who was told to 'be good' and wanders the kingdom trying to be good against her kobold nature. It's the most fun I've had playing a character in a long rear end time.

(this is an incredibly truncated simplistic backstory but nobody wants to read the loving mini-novella I have in my head so it will suffice)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

New Warlock and Wizard archetypes. In today's Unearthed Arcana, the Wizard becomes a better more versatile sorcerer than the sorcerer.
Warlock Raven Queen and Hexblade archetypes, Raven Queen seems nice, but Hexblade seems lacking.
Also a good selection of Eldritch Evocations for the new, and old Archetypes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hexblade: "Once per rest you can do what a forge Cleric can do once per round"

wowee

Like swinging with charisma is cool but the invocations weren't really exciting for them. I like what they did on the other ones though

edit: Oh okay it picks up at level 14

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 13, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Some of this Arcana really needs to be reburied.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Love, Mom & Dad

Agent355 posted:

Yeah but if I remember correctly in the DMG their suggestion for failing forward is if you succed the DC but only by a little amount. Like getting 15 on a DC 15 gives you some sort of failure that still works.

When that is the opposite of what I do. a 15 on a 15 is perfect success, a 10 on a 15 is a success with various consequences.

I thought it was meet or beat the dc number, like ac. At least that's how I've been doing it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Big Black Brony posted:

I thought it was meet or beat the dc number, like ac. At least that's how I've been doing it.

RAW it is.

However this leads to situations like

Fightbro: I roll to break down the door, i got an 8
DM: nothing happens
Fightbro: I try again, 7
DM: nothing happens
Fightbro: I try again, 18
DM: the door shatters

And thats what I like to avoid. generally I don't let people fail some skill checks, I just make the succeed in crappier and crappier ways to avoid the above.

It works particularly well in that situation, but i use it in basically every situation where the normal DM response is 'nothing happens'.

Lots of things already have a sort of failure state, jumping across a gap for instance, failure meant falling not 'nothing happens' and they don't need to be messed with.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Big Black Brony posted:

It is by default. The issue is that fail forward usually involves turning outright failures into partial failures instead of taking outright successes and making them partial successes. Given how messy 5E math is, turning outright failures into partial failures is far safer than taking outright successes and making them partial successes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I was running Storm King's Thunder and there's a DC 20 chest in the starting town. Lockpicking a chest while there's no time pressure sounds like a reasonable time to take 20, but that's kinda boring and why was the chest even there with no encounter? I may just not do stuff like that any more, since why was there a lock, but I thought that was a particularly strange one. (I said rolling a 1 would break his tools and made him roll until he passed but still.)

The other option would be to say like, one attempt and that's it, or one attempt and that's it until a long rest (to uhh, re-approach the problem with a beginner's mind.)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'd say a situation like that is just badly written as is. You have a reward in a safe place locked behind a roll with no consequences. Just give em the treasure.

At least a locked box in a dungeon threatens wandering monsters if you take the hour it takes in game time to take 20 on a roll.

Even then 'locked box with nothing else going on' is bad. I don't even include them unless a rogue or other thievery sort of dude is in the party. It makes rogues feel good that they get to be useful, otherwise it's just a waste of space.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Spiteski posted:

New Warlock and Wizard archetypes. In today's Unearthed Arcana, the Wizard becomes a better more versatile sorcerer than the sorcerer.
Warlock Raven Queen and Hexblade archetypes, Raven Queen seems nice, but Hexblade seems lacking.
Also a good selection of Eldritch Evocations for the new, and old Archetypes.

I'm really impressed by the extent to which 5E caters to magic users. The super-versatile generalist academician is like my favorite wizard archetype and to get it working in 4E you needed a considerable amount of finagling and item support while here Mearls shows up in a maitre d outfit like "ah, welcome, right this way my good sir"

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The other option would be to say like, one attempt and that's it, or one attempt and that's it until a long rest (to uhh, re-approach the problem with a beginner's mind.)

This is my ruling when I DM. One-and-done checks. Your character doesn't know how well you, the player, rolled. If a thief tries to pick a lock and fails, he'd think "this one is above my pay-grade." Likewise when the beef boy can't bust down the door, the wispy elf isn't going to throw himself against it. The elf doesn't know the beef boy's player rolled a 2. The elf would think "That must be one motherfucker of a door."

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I was running Storm King's Thunder and there's a DC 20 chest in the starting town. Lockpicking a chest while there's no time pressure sounds like a reasonable time to take 20, but that's kinda boring and why was the chest even there with no encounter? I may just not do stuff like that any more, since why was there a lock, but I thought that was a particularly strange one. (I said rolling a 1 would break his tools and made him roll until he passed but still.)

Agent355 posted:

I'd say a situation like that is just badly written as is. You have a reward in a safe place locked behind a roll with no consequences. Just give em the treasure.

At least a locked box in a dungeon threatens wandering monsters if you take the hour it takes in game time to take 20 on a roll.

Even then 'locked box with nothing else going on' is bad. I don't even include them unless a rogue or other thievery sort of dude is in the party. It makes rogues feel good that they get to be useful, otherwise it's just a waste of space.

If there is no time pressure and the only thing that happens on failure is "I try again", you're supposed to let them succeed without a roll according to the rules. From what I've seen, the published adventures just give the DCs for certain things (doors/locks) reflexively. If its a DC they could achieve by taking 10, just let them do it. If they'd have to take 20, it takes them 30 minutes-1 hour of work depending on the actual DC.

The problem with "a 1 jams the lock/breaks the tools" is...if I roll a 1 for just smashing the door, do I tear my ACL or break my weapon? Maybe, but that seems overly punitive.

MTV Crib Death posted:

This is my ruling when I DM. One-and-done checks. Your character doesn't know how well you, the player, rolled. If a thief tries to pick a lock and fails, he'd think "this one is above my pay-grade." Likewise when the beef boy can't bust down the door, the wispy elf isn't going to throw himself against it. The elf doesn't know the beef boy's player rolled a 2. The elf would think "That must be one motherfucker of a door."

If the door is made of wood, and beefy boy has an axe...you know? It's a matter of time and energy at that point. Beefy isn't going to take one hack and call it a day.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've been debating with a friend of about Agent's "your speed is 0 after you escape a grapple" rule that plagued him. My friend and I both knew in our hearts that this is wrong, but we couldn't pin down why. After a while we agreed on a couple things:

-Grappled is a condition. Among other effects, it sets your speed to 0.
-Being freed from a condition ends its effects.
-"Speed" is a stat, and not a pool you drain like HP. Taking a move action doesn't "use your speed", it allows you to move a distance up to your speed stat.
Therefore: your speed is restored after being freed from the grappled condition and can move assuming you haven't been forced to use your move action somehow. You'll eat an opportunity attack, but hey.

This doesn't change a drat thing in that argument, though, but I do love debating rules as written.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hexblade: "Once per rest you can do what a forge Cleric can do once per round"

wowee

Like swinging with charisma is cool but the invocations weren't really exciting for them. I like what they did on the other ones though

edit: Oh okay it picks up at level 14

The curse bringer class feature lets you make a greatsword without letting you use your charisma modifier for attack rolls with it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MTV Crib Death posted:

I feel like this is falling into the trap of sacrificing fun for realism.

It's a real good interpretation of whats happening but it isn't a whole lot of fun for players to miss out on loot because the thief rolled badly on his thief tools check. Even being realistic people will often try again if they fail something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the new invocations. Particularly the themed ones.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

Spell Secrets
At 2nd level, you master the first in a series of arcane secrets uncovered by your extensive studies.
When you cast a spell witha spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list (you can change only one damage type per casting of a spell). You replace one energy type for another by altering the spell’s formula as you cast it. When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice. Once you change a saving throw in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
Jesus christ. Necroticball that requires a charisma save, gently caress off bitches.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

MTV Crib Death posted:

If it's time sensitive, that might make sense, but if nothing prevents you from trying over and over, wouldn't you just take 20 and call it a day?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurieg posted:

Jesus christ. Necroticball that requires a charisma save, gently caress off bitches.

Though they can only change once per rest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They can change the saving throw once per rest but they've got infinite flexibility on damage types forever.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I do genuinely love 5e but man the martial caster balance in this game is just all sorts of out of whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's better then it was in all editions other then 4e. And the martial are still very solid. Like they are never going to be useless.