Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Complaining about the fifth game in a series having plot points that only make sense if you're familiar with the rest of the series is pretty lol
What is the series in question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I agree, gently caress Kingdom Hearts!

i thought the same thing

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metal Gear

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

...Metal Gear!?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's extremely mad that he couldn't pick up on any foreshadowing of the plot twist in MGS5 due to not knowing any of the plot or characters involved. It's the game's fault

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dewgy posted:

...Metal Gear!?

hnnnghhr.....

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He's extremely mad that he couldn't pick up on any foreshadowing of the plot twist in MGS5 due to not knowing any of the plot or characters involved. It's the game's fault
But it doesn't matter. The game's story is fine without wider context. Each Metal Gear game stands on their own except maybe MGS4. They each fill in a piece of the ongoing world and story but it's not the same thing as a serial narrative where you have to know what happened before.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

oh no! this game makes no sense even though i jumped in at the end of a game that's notoriously unfinished and incomplete in a game series that might possiby be the most convoluted and mental game series in all of history :allears:
Shameful to see an apparent owner of a PS3/4 that hasn't played the Yakuza games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

But it doesn't matter. The game's story is fine without wider context. Each Metal Gear game stands on their own except maybe MGS4. They each fill in a piece of the ongoing world and story but it's not the same thing as a serial narrative where you have to know what happened before.
Yes but they dared to put in some story continuity in their sequel and that should be made illegal.

Like, he's mad that it's made more satisfying by having played the previous games. At all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yes but they dared to put in some story continuity in their sequel and that should be made illegal.

Like, he's mad that it's made more satisfying by having played the previous games. At all.

They're five games in at this point. They should've pulled the cord and made something completely unconcerned with the plots of the last games years ago.

Like Resident Evil 4.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

They're five games in at this point. They should've pulled the cord and made something completely unconcerned with the plots of the last games years ago.

Like Resident Evil 4.
Why?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

I had a different kind of camera problem in Seven: The Days Long Gone, it's third person but the camera is almost directly on top of you, looking down. You can move the camera left & right, but you can't tilt it down so that you can see a bit more of what's in front of you. It's a stealth game, I kinda want to see if there's a guard at the top of the stairs or not.

Same. Great game, but maybe having an almost vertical camera in a stealth and platforming heavy RPG was a pretty bad decision.

Neir: Automata had the camera pan down to level with the ground when running that I swear was meant to tease a panty shot when playing 2B's section. It made for some awkward running both because I had to keep flicking the thumbstick up to see past her, and when I was playing it and my wife walked in.

OutOfPrint has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Apr 6, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having to be familiar with a property to understand the plot of later games is bullshit. Why should I have to watch seven Star Wars movies to understand what's happening in the newest one?

I'm not being serious

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Having to be familiar with a property to understand the plot of later games is bullshit. Why should I have to watch seven Star Wars movies to understand what's happening in the newest one?

I'm not being serious
Okay, but because I know someone will be: you do not need to do this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

None of the side-ops in MGSV are terribly interesting, either extract this guy or destroy that tank, but the Wandering MSF soldiers are really contrived. Apparently the survivors from when your last base blew up have spent the past decade flailing around like Zombies while wearing the old colors, and when you extract them they're immediately of sound body and mind to resume working for you. It's bit like how supermarkets are full of supplies two centuries after the apocalypse in Bethesda's Fallout.

And in a spoiler these soldiers are tied to a secret subplot which suspends disbelief to the point that it's obvious that there's a twist-ending.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Apr 6, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not being serious

Disney shares your concerns, and has ensured that all future Star Wars movies will be about rebels vs. empire, forever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of MGSV, god that intro sucks playing it a second time. I put 60 hours in on PC and now I’m starting over on PS4 since I got it with PSPlus and my computer died.

Holy mother of god it takes forever and it’s so dull.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Woah woah woah who's this Mario guy and why's the rescuing some princess apples or something? Why don't they have a plot synopsis of the previous games so I can know how they met and stuff - I mean it's stretched across like five consoles they can't expect me to know all the backstory, what bullshit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of MGSV, god that intro sucks playing it a second time. I put 60 hours in on PC and now I’m starting over on PS4 since I got it with PSPlus and my computer died.

The hospital sequence is far and away my favorite part of the game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The very end of it, on the romantic horse-back ride is totally worth it though.

Ocelot: "First things first, we gotta head to Afghanistan"

Snake (in his first line of dialogue in the whole game) : "Afghanistan?!?"

Horse rears up, flash of lightning, cut to black.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The thing dragging down the Mario sequels is that they backed off of the batshit insane plot of the original Super Mario Bros. where the enemies (and the bricks and coins) were all normal human citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom until Bowser came and cast a spell to take over the land. The reason he kidnapped Princess Toadstool was that her voice could break the spell, much like Mario broke the skulls of her temporarily transformed countrymen.

e: VVVVV very much agreed

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Disney shares your concerns, and has ensured that all future Star Wars movies will be about rebels vs. empire, forever.

I was legitimately disappointed that rey didn't join up with ren to create a new empire and break out of the old lovely grooves. I was momentarily hopeful the story would go in an interesting direction, but nah we gotta keep doing the same thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FactsAreUseless posted:

The hospital sequence is far and away my favorite part of the game.

Out of the all the missions I unlocked before I stopped playing, it's the only one I didn't S rank because I didn't want to go back and improve on that A rank. It's so looooooong.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You guys mean the very opening scene, right? I thought it was pretty cool and liked it a lot. And then a dude made of fire or some poo poo sprang out and I was sure I was going to die.

I'm going to reinstall MGSV tonight. I think that's my next game to play, right after I beat DMC4:SE.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When I play a game that has earlier stuff that I am supposed to already know about, I go read the wikia about it or whatever. I do not complain on the Internet about it.

My first Borderlands game was Tales from the Borderlands, then I played Borderlands 2, then I played Borderlands the Pre-Sequel, then I played Borderlands 1. I enjoyed it just fine and there were dozens of websites busting with joy to tell me all about the things I needed to know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

You guys mean the very opening scene, right? I thought it was pretty cool and liked it a lot. And then a dude made of fire or some poo poo sprang out and I was sure I was going to die.

I'm going to reinstall MGSV tonight. I think that's my next game to play, right after I beat DMC4:SE.

It's cool the first time you play, but, much like the opening to a Nintendo game, it's not so great when/if you decide you want to replay the game and must endure a half hour of tutorials that you cannot speed up.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
My issue with MGS:V was that it was missing a lot of what I enjoy in my MGS games: Cutscenes and weird bosses. I felt the bosses disappointed, and the cutscenes were pulled back too far. I am not saying they needed MGS4 levels, but a bit more would be nice. The opening was my favorite bit, just because it felt the most metal-gear-weird of all of it.

I thought the gameplay was excellent though, most fun I've ever had in a stealth game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Shameful to see an apparent owner of a PS3/4 that hasn't played the Yakuza games

I played yakuza 1 and it was great,i've never had a ps3 but i'll keep my eyes out for one because it doesn't cost five billion pounds nowadays :P

Also i'm thinking of getting the first monster hunter cause it always looked great when i was younger but for some reason was never sold where i live.

content : Underrail is a good game but there's alot of grey soulles areas and backtracking,i just wish there was a bit more variety or colour or fauna.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also i'm thinking of getting the first monster hunter cause it always looked great when i was younger but for some reason was never sold where i live.

What, no, why would you do this to yourself?

Like, I'm a huge fan of the series, but it has only gotten better over iterations, and going back to the original where the attacks were mapped to different directions on the right analog stick is folly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MHW is frustrating enough to control at times and it's "the good" Monster Hunter.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

MrAptronym posted:

My issue with MGS:V was that it was missing a lot of what I enjoy in my MGS games: Cutscenes and weird bosses. I felt the bosses disappointed, and the cutscenes were pulled back too far. I am not saying they needed MGS4 levels, but a bit more would be nice. The opening was my favorite bit, just because it felt the most metal-gear-weird of all of it.

I thought the gameplay was excellent though, most fun I've ever had in a stealth game.

Agreed on all points,what i expected of Mgsv particularly after Peace walker was not what i got,i personally enjoyed Pw more and thought it was more fun.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Morpheus posted:

What, no, why would you do this to yourself?

Like, I'm a huge fan of the series, but it has only gotten better over iterations, and going back to the original where the attacks were mapped to different directions on the right analog stick is folly.

Is it that bad? it's one of those series that's passed me by.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I played yakuza 1 and it was great,i've never had a ps3 but i'll keep my eyes out for one because it doesn't cost five billion pounds nowadays :P

content : Underrail is a good game but there's alot of grey soulles areas and backtracking,i just wish there was a bit more variety or colour or fauna.

The PS3 Yakuzas are on PSNow, at least in the US.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It is that bad. Monster Hunter has really really really improved with every iteration, and while I enjoyed many of the older ones if you've never played the series before there's really no reason to not just buy and enjoy the latest generation and forget about any of the earlier stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's extremely, extremely rough around the edges. Many quality-of-life improvements have been made since then, even simple things like telling you what skills do weren't introduced until later in the series.

If you want to play an older-style Monster Hunter, I'd recommend either MH4 Ultimate or MH Generations, both on the 3DS. If you own a PS4, I'd definitely recommend MH World, which is by and large the best of the series, bar none, especially in terms of introducing new players to what are still some pretty byzantine mechanics.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Morpheus posted:

It's extremely, extremely rough around the edges. Many quality-of-life improvements have been made since then, even simple things like telling you what skills do weren't introduced until later in the series.

If you want to play an older-style Monster Hunter, I'd recommend either MH4 Ultimate or MH Generations, both on the 3DS. If you own a PS4, I'd definitely recommend MH World, which is by and large the best of the series, bar none, especially in terms of introducing new players to what are still some pretty byzantine mechanics.

Agent355 posted:

It is that bad. Monster Hunter has really really really improved with every iteration, and while I enjoyed many of the older ones if you've never played the series before there's really no reason to not just buy and enjoy the latest generation and forget about any of the earlier stuff.

The PS3 Yakuzas are on PSNow, at least in the US.

Thanks guys.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hollow Knight is fun and cool, although I haven't got to the first boss yet, just unlocked fast-travel, but one annoying thing is that when you get hit it makes a big distracting to-do about it. It's like, yeah, I know I got hit, could you let me see what I'm doing so that it doesn't happen again? The enemy variety is great though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Hollow Knight is fun and cool, although I haven't got to the first boss yet, just unlocked fast-travel, but one annoying thing is that when you get hit it makes a big distracting to-do about it. It's like, yeah, I know I got hit, could you let me see what I'm doing so that it doesn't happen again? The enemy variety is great though.

Yeah, half the time when I get hit the game's reaction makes me think I died for a second.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You get used to it but yeah I hated it as well initially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Iris and Aranea are cool characters who don't get anywhere near enough screen time. In particular Iris, there's no reason whatsoever for her not to come along and the game even talks about it and then just sort of shrugs it off.

Old post but

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/982365843953672192

I supposed maybe by 2022 we'll have an Iris episode as well.