Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I want to get all glammed up with my budgies but they’d either try to eat the sequins or become too scared of my shine. Haters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

If being eccentric bird person also makes one a psychopath, could someone please tell me how to stop constantly worrying about every way I've ever offended everyone in my life for an hour before I go to bed every night? If I don't examine every single one of my failings, in depth, at least twice a day I'm pretty sure I'd turn into a pumpkin.

K, thanks! :downs:

Hey, I'm still trying to figure this out myself.

But this lady with a chicken on a leash looks like she's got life figured out, and I admire her priorities.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Medication helped with a lot of that night time obsession

I mean it still happens but it's not as awful or as long

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Log posted:

If being eccentric bird person also makes one a psychopath, could someone please tell me how to stop constantly worrying about every way I've ever offended everyone in my life for an hour before I go to bed every night? If I don't examine every single one of my failings, in depth, at least twice a day I'm pretty sure I'd turn into a pumpkin.

K, thanks! :downs:

eccentric bird persons can either give wonderful care to the birdy friends or collect them as objects to be contained and shown off with no interaction at all like a piece of art. please don't be like the latter is all we ask in this thread and myself personally.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

EVIL Gibson posted:

eccentric bird persons can either give wonderful care to the birdy friends or collect them as objects to be contained and shown off with no interaction at all like a piece of art. please don't be like the latter is all we ask in this thread and myself personally.

I’ve spent my day coddling my doofus little birb’s hurt wing and will be letting her sleep in my room for a few weeks if not indefinitely.

I’m pretty sure she is giving me a smug look...right now. I checked. She is being smug.

God the underneath of her wing looks like a horror show. But vet said pulling not actively bleeding feathers will lead to more blood loss than just letting Serra do the maintenance herself.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so glad she's healing. :ohdear:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have never seen a bird have such violent night frights.

The next one to two weeks is going to be about her not having another. She will be sleeping in my room with a see through cover. How many hours will it take for her to realize she can screm at me when I’m asleep? I’m betting - a low number of hours. :derptiel:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe put a curtain around your bed so she can't see you?

... I know that's a really impractical solution but if we can't put a cover on her sleeping cage, put one on yours!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I have never seen a bird have such violent night frights.

The next one to two weeks is going to be about her not having another. She will be sleeping in my room with a see through cover. How many hours will it take for her to realize she can screm at me when I’m asleep? I’m betting - a low number of hours. :derptiel:

I hope she has a swift recovery.

I just thought of something - growing up we had two cages for the parakeets, and the ones in my room had an old, knitted blanket as their nighttime drape. It wasn't see-through material but porous enough that they could investigate what was going on. At some point we switched to a solid cloth drape and I had assumed there were more night-frights because they were getting older, but perhaps it was because they couldn't see the night-light as well.

Just a thought. If you have like a knitted blanket or something similar until you get a good drape-cloth that might be an okay substitute?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

Maybe put a curtain around your bed so she can't see you?

... I know that's a really impractical solution but if we can't put a cover on her sleeping cage, put one on yours!

You have no idea the lengths to which I will go to burrow into my bed. :) I also never turn out the lights completely, done that my whole life because of night terrors. My bedroom always has a cozy, low lit, no snek ambiance.

Thanks for letting me talk, everyone. This was a scary morning and it’s good having bird friends to speak to about bird-ery.

Edit - Their cage cover was always pretty easy to see through. Light colored sheets and the like. It was my switching to purpose built night covers a few days ago, in an effort to separate them, that probably spawned this. The vet said -

- cockatiels get a night light and either a semi covered cage or cover that light gets through.

The covers I bought them were blackout dark.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 1, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

For the record, I sleep in the same room as my birds. Because I live in a one-room apartment. They sleep at one end, I sleep at the other.

But it's been handy on occasion when a fire truck screams by at 2am and we all wake up and the boys get briefly frightened and I can call over to them before they get really wound up.

On the other hand, Ozzy is very particular about prompt bedtimes and prompt breakfasts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I just spoke with my father who just got home from work about what happened this morning.

Big Surprise, Yellow took a tumble while they were still covered that set the whole thing off.

I'm going to be separating their cages from here on out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My alarm clock is staring at me -

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

My alarm clock is staring at me -

:derptiel: ((Mission Accomplish: Human on-demand!))

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Your alarm clock is adorable.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

So Sammy is ok! The lump is luckily just a fatty lymphoma. It’s not surprising given her previous diet, so all she just needs to do is to lose a lot of weight. Her ideal weight is 950g and she is currently 1350g. The vet hopes that with the weight loss she won’t need to have surgery to remove the rest of the fatty lump, but it’s a matter of waiting and seeing how she fares. We’re currently fostering her for the next 3 months with the aim to lose the excess 400g (an entire galah and then some!) in that time. Once she’s lost the weight she’ll go to her forever home in a large aviary.

We learned from the vet that Sammy used to be a wild bird. She was trapped as a chick in Victoria and sold on. She’s about 18 years old.

Her first night with us wasn’t too bad, but she was probably getting over the shock of such an exciting day - she didn’t move much in her new large cage at all. We’ve found that she has a bad reaction to giving bites - she’ll give a little nip/nibble then immediately flinch. :( Her bites really aren’t that bad, but you definitely get a sense of how much pain she could inflict if she wanted to.

She isn’t quite hand tame. She’ll accept scritches and even allowed my boyfriend to handle a few of her pin feathers but she has no idea about stepping up and seems to actually hate pointed fingers. With a bit of work we should be able to get her to step up and maybe even get comfortable with being outside of her cage.

I thought I was used to bird screams, but I’ve never been in a house with a bird this loud. Her screams seem to linger in the air for a few seconds after. Definitely going to be deaf when I’m older lol.

She hasn’t eaten much, to be honest. She had a nibble of corn today, and had a few pellets but is probably still adjusting to all the new things. It’s been great to see how much she’s changed even in the last few days though. She was pretty inactive until we moved her outside for the day where she seemed to settle down completely, so we’re going to have to have her outside as much as possible if someone’s at home.

She’s still very clumsy with her feet, probably because of all the excess weight, but she’s been moving around her cage a lot more and just learning how to navigate it. It’s been nice to see her actually do the parrot stretch, because previously she didn’t have enough room to do it. She’s a very good speaker too - we’ve heard hello cockie, scritches and incomprehensible human gibberish so far but it’s clear she’s got a lot of potential.

Alfi seems very interested in her, but has also been very cuddly lately. He probably thinks we’re replacing him lol. I just think it’s been nice to see Sammy around some other birds. Just seeing her learning to play with toys and eating chop has been great. We definitely aren’t in a position to have a cockatoo permanently, but at least we get to have her for a little while :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm gonna tear up, look at that happy fatbird who's finally going to get to live for the first time in eighteen years....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

yoshesque posted:

So Sammy is ok! The lump is luckily just a fatty lymphoma. It’s not surprising given her previous diet, so all she just needs to do is to lose a lot of weight. Her ideal weight is 950g and she is currently 1350g. The vet hopes that with the weight loss she won’t need to have surgery to remove the rest of the fatty lump, but it’s a matter of waiting and seeing how she fares. We’re currently fostering her for the next 3 months with the aim to lose the excess 400g (an entire galah and then some!) in that time. Once she’s lost the weight she’ll go to her forever home in a large aviary.

We learned from the vet that Sammy used to be a wild bird. She was trapped as a chick in Victoria and sold on. She’s about 18 years old.

Her first night with us wasn’t too bad, but she was probably getting over the shock of such an exciting day - she didn’t move much in her new large cage at all. We’ve found that she has a bad reaction to giving bites - she’ll give a little nip/nibble then immediately flinch. :( Her bites really aren’t that bad, but you definitely get a sense of how much pain she could inflict if she wanted to.

She isn’t quite hand tame. She’ll accept scritches and even allowed my boyfriend to handle a few of her pin feathers but she has no idea about stepping up and seems to actually hate pointed fingers. With a bit of work we should be able to get her to step up and maybe even get comfortable with being outside of her cage.

I thought I was used to bird screams, but I’ve never been in a house with a bird this loud. Her screams seem to linger in the air for a few seconds after. Definitely going to be deaf when I’m older lol.

She hasn’t eaten much, to be honest. She had a nibble of corn today, and had a few pellets but is probably still adjusting to all the new things. It’s been great to see how much she’s changed even in the last few days though. She was pretty inactive until we moved her outside for the day where she seemed to settle down completely, so we’re going to have to have her outside as much as possible if someone’s at home.

She’s still very clumsy with her feet, probably because of all the excess weight, but she’s been moving around her cage a lot more and just learning how to navigate it. It’s been nice to see her actually do the parrot stretch, because previously she didn’t have enough room to do it. She’s a very good speaker too - we’ve heard hello cockie, scritches and incomprehensible human gibberish so far but it’s clear she’s got a lot of potential.

Alfi seems very interested in her, but has also been very cuddly lately. He probably thinks we’re replacing him lol. I just think it’s been nice to see Sammy around some other birds. Just seeing her learning to play with toys and eating chop has been great. We definitely aren’t in a position to have a cockatoo permanently, but at least we get to have her for a little while :)

I think we need more photos of Alfi for proof. And more photos of Sam.

Just more bird photos, please :allears:. It sounds like you're both doing a wonderful job giving her a new lease on life.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The scared of hands and pointer fingers, doing scared bites, combined with his past situation makes me think he probably got yelled at a lot and then got swatted at :(

So happy to see how much better his living situation is now! He's going to be so much happier soon :)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh my god I had no ideas birds could get lymphomas. It makes sense I just have never seen it or heard of it before this point. Yeah that's not something you have to worry about at all, what a relief!

Cockies are LOUD. I didn't really know until I was in a bird store with a couple excited ones making some noise. But dang they are soft. Life's trade offs.

Thanks for fostering Sam. Sam is a good name for a good girl (Super biased though) and I'm sure she's got a bright future ahead of her.

Poor Alfi! Please give him plenty of love, too. Jealousy can take many forms, his is just showing in the nice way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Such an uplifting story that after 18 years the bird is finally getting the love it deserves. I also respect a bird that doesn’t chomp you even when they could.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

!!!Turn on sound!!!
https://i.imgur.com/sR2yKNx.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Poor Serra has been in ultra preening mode ever since her nasty night fright. She keeps making these pitiful little yelps as she cleans herself. I'm actually pretty amazed at how much of the blood she has cleaned off. The underside of her wing is a mess, but it's improving.

Also, when you interrupt your bird in mid-heavy duty preen, they look even fatter. I swear to God, she isn't that fat. -

I'm not allowed to give her a shower for another day, which will help her out. Vet said she needs 48 hours before a shower for everything to be completely scabbed.

But, I can help in one vital way. Scritches on scritches on scritches! This picture is blurry because every second she was flipping her head into a new position for maximum scritch-atiude.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sammy :love:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is the stare of a bird that wants head scratches, but also wants to hold hands with the hand that gives head scratches, and is having trouble reconciling these two desires.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That is the stare of a bird that wants head scratches, but also wants to hold hands with the hand that gives head scratches, and is having trouble reconciling these two desires.

It's like he is saying, "Wait."

Serra has the same conundrum when she wants to simultaneously anger squeak and beak my finger while still getting scritches.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Premium chomk

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

We joined the bird crazies club today with a new addition to the family.

I'm so happy to get him home but it's been a bit of a stressful day having never owned birds other than chickens and ducks who are fairly chill from day one in comparison.

He was hand raised in a pretty open environment so I thought I'd leave his cage door open and let him make the decision about when to come and go. All was going pretty well until he tried climbing a millet branch knocking the end off which he lost his mind about, flying out the cage door and crashing into the roof a couple of times.

I thought I'd better get him back in the cage for now as he kept getting scared and bumping into things which just caused a cycle. A few very sharp bites later I got him back in the cage but I feel awful for how scared he was.

I've seen a lot of differing opinions on how to handle this situation and would love to hear people's thoughts. At what point should I be leaving the door open for him?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Literally just animal crossing villagers :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Caedes posted:

I'm so happy to get him home but it's been a bit of a stressful day having never owned birds other than chickens and ducks who are fairly chill from day one in comparison.

He was hand raised in a pretty open environment so I thought I'd leave his cage door open and let him make the decision about when to come and go. All was going pretty well until he tried climbing a millet branch knocking the end off which he lost his mind about, flying out the cage door and crashing into the roof a couple of times.

I thought I'd better get him back in the cage for now as he kept getting scared and bumping into things which just caused a cycle. A few very sharp bites later I got him back in the cage but I feel awful for how scared he was.

I've seen a lot of differing opinions on how to handle this situation and would love to hear people's thoughts. At what point should I be leaving the door open for him?

If he’s in a room where he can’t get into too much trouble, it might be okay. But mostly I’d wait to leave him open and unaccompanied until he’s comfortable with you - if for no other reason than when he inevitably ends up someplace weird you’ll have to get him.

Even if it’s just you spending time in the same room as him so he can get used to his new flock faces would probably help.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

I bought a nesting box and my broody budgie started using it overnight. Hooray!
Her cage mate is so unhappy about it, though. He was throwing a fit with contact calls looking for her, and when she came out to eat he wouldn’t leave her alone. I think I’m going to have to give him extra attention because he is a bit of a love bomb!

Spike (Blue, male) Born in April 2014
Likes: Food, holographic nail polish, flying (He gets to keep flight feathers in the winter when we don't run the house fans), making noise, eating whatever you're eating, loving and being loved
Dislikes: Fruit (veggies only), being alone, sleeping when there's any light, being touched on his feathers

Starr (Yellow, female) Born in September 2013
Likes: Shredding the newspaper at the bottom of the cage, shredding things in general, preening people's eyelashes and facial hair, flute music and dancing
Dislikes: Flying short distances (she prefers to hop and she's always been bad at flying), IQ tests (she's... cute), Spike's constant attempts to woo her

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

mediaphage posted:

If he’s in a room where he can’t get into too much trouble, it might be okay. But mostly I’d wait to leave him open and unaccompanied until he’s comfortable with you - if for no other reason than when he inevitably ends up someplace weird you’ll have to get him.

Even if it’s just you spending time in the same room as him so he can get used to his new flock faces would probably help.

Thanks, that all makes sense. We've got a chair near his cage and spending as much time as possible just sitting with him for the meantime.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Caedes posted:

Heck yes! May I offer you a gang tag? Or any of you other recent thread additions, I might add? :)

Regarding helping your little friend adjust -- what does the thread generally think about a light clip when a bird is first brought home? I tend to think it reduces the risk of the bird hurting itself bashing into unfamiliar walls and ceilings, and since the bird will be offered gentle human assistance back to better places to sit when it does take off, a clip helps foster the idea that the big scary people might be friends, or at least benign.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

good news everyone, even modmins gently caress up quote-not-edit

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Regarding helping your little friend adjust -- what does the thread generally think about a light clip when a bird is first brought home? I tend to think it reduces the risk of the bird hurting itself bashing into unfamiliar walls and ceilings, and since the bird will be offered gentle human assistance back to better places to sit when it does take off, a clip helps foster the idea that the big scary people might be friends, or at least benign.

These are all great points - the first time my bird Starr let me hold her was when I helped her back to her cage when she was walking around and lost. She was a bit bitey, but she climbed into my hand, and ever since then, she's always let a hand lift her out of trouble whenever she gets lost or stuck :3:
It's a good trust-building thing and reduces the amount of trouble your new bird can get into, and their feathers will grow back in soon!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

good news everyone, even modmins gently caress up quote-not-edit

Given the birds in this thread you're living up to your username at least :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

<:mad:> :lmao:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Per a good vet - birds need to learn to properly fly in their first years and should get a few stretches of at least two months to learn it, if not longer. I think there is NOTHING wrong with clips, but go easy on them when the Bird is still growing and learning.

I’d also give her some time to get comfortable before letting her out. Cockatiels are scared of everything ever.

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Cockatiels are scared of everything ever.

As proof:

Fird was grooming earlier today and moulted his longest tail feather. He deliberately took it out and threw it away from himself. Then screamed at it as it fell to the bottom of the cage. Then hissed a couple times while swaying and staring at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

insertdumbnamehere posted:

As proof:

Fird was grooming earlier today and moulted his longest tail feather. He deliberately took it out and threw it away from himself. Then screamed at it as it fell to the bottom of the cage. Then hissed a couple times while swaying and staring at it.

Wandy, the ancient old lady tiel I had, gave close to zero fucks. I think they calm down once they hit 20-25 years old. :derptiel: