Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Isn't that story from Red October?

No. In fact the bits of Clancy that I recall that deal with satellite imagery event have a character who does image analysis for a living pointing out that it's really easy to read into them what you want to see and how you really have to keep in mind how *not* clear and unambiguous they are. Like at one point they're looking at pictures of people at a rifle range in the desert and he says "Look, what you have here is a picture of some people lined up, *probably* firing guns, that's all." He's damned sure not saying you could read their scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Phanatic posted:

No. In fact the bits of Clancy that I recall that deal with satellite imagery event have a character who does image analysis for a living pointing out that it's really easy to read into them what you want to see and how you really have to keep in mind how *not* clear and unambiguous they are. Like at one point they're looking at pictures of people at a rifle range in the desert and he says "Look, what you have here is a picture of some people lined up, *probably* firing guns, that's all." He's damned sure not saying you could read their scores.

That was in Patriot Games.

And then like two books later in the Cardinal of the Kremlin they're watching a live satellite feed and one guy says "that guy is KGB, you can tell because his shoulder boards are green."

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the other hand you have the Democrats who got into an ideological race to the left in the primaries. Hillary was scrambling to not lose to Sanders, and a big part of that was sucking up to unions in a big way. Plus, with Trump beating the "I care about factory workers" drum so hard they don't want to look like they're less friendly to workers than he is.

And here I thought the reason people opposed it was because of its restrictions that prevent countries from enacting legislation that a corporation operating within its borders claims would lessen its future profits, restrict the extent states can enact environmental and labor standards, restrict the ability of governments to provide public healthcare, and the expansions of copyright law.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

StandardVC10 posted:

Both Presidential candidates have come out against it now.

Hillary is lying, the Democrats will fall in line, and the Republican establishment is in favor of the TPP anyway. If she wins it'll pass, for better or (more likely) worse.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smiling Jack posted:

Russia's recent forays into "cyber" (I hate that loving term) and disinformation is worrying; they're currently trying to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the US election process.

They're pretty loving good at this sort of thing, the whole fake "strategy of tension" and "AIDS was created by the CIA" are still causing problems decades later.

I'm not saying Putin is going to go full Red Army Faction / Belgian Supermarket Murders levels of operation but there's not a lot of :tinfoil: I wouldn't put past that guy.

Yeah, lost conventional geopolitics so now they're exploring "what kinda things can we do to hurt everyone else without it actually being war?"

Works great for Putin either way; it plays into his whole "WHOLE WORLD OUT TO GET RUSSIA" propaganda campaign

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Concordat posted:

And here I thought the reason people opposed it was because of its restrictions that prevent countries from enacting legislation that a corporation operating within its borders claims would lessen its future profits, restrict the extent states can enact environmental and labor standards, restrict the ability of governments to provide public healthcare, and the expansions of copyright law.

It only actually does one of these things (expanding US copyright to other signatory countries in some ways, which I'm not really a fan of and consider a legit reason to oppose it in its current form if that's something you feel strongly about); the rest are more or less FWD: fwd: FWwwd: DEAR GRANDSON OBAMA IS A MONKEY!! levels of failing to understand and/or not actually bothering to read the text of the agreement

I'd assume there's a thread better suited for discussing the ins and outs of trade agreements buried somewhere in that subforum where eight thousand flavors of conspiracy theorist nutjobs, eight thousand flavors of ancap libertarian nutjobs, and eight thousand flavors of communist nutjobs fight to see who can have the wildest misunderstandings of econD&D so that a thread about cool cold war poo poo can stay about cool cold war poo poo

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I was just saying that those are the type of arguments I see from the left-wing, rather than stuff about unions and factory workers.

Good point though.

Here's a thing I read about a month ago about people waxing nostalgic for Stalin in Russia:

Inside Russia's Resurgent Communist Party

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Some anecdotes about and from Sakai Saburou, Japanese navy fighter ace.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Smiling Jack posted:

Russia's recent forays into "cyber" (I hate that loving term) and disinformation is worrying; they're currently trying to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the US election process.

They're pretty loving good at this sort of thing, the whole fake "strategy of tension" and "AIDS was created by the CIA" are still causing problems decades later.

I'm not saying Putin is going to go full Red Army Faction / Belgian Supermarket Murders levels of operation but there's not a lot of :tinfoil: I wouldn't put past that guy.

Cliffs on this? I've never even heard of it before but what is the theory?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Cliffs on this? I've never even heard of it before but what is the theory?

Basically the Belgian Supermarket Murders were just so loving weird that they've been variously ascribed to a gang of sociopaths, Operation Gladio, part of a larger Soviet plot to destabilize Europe, or the goddamn Fremasons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

Basically the Belgian Supermarket Murders were just so loving weird that they've been variously ascribed to a gang of sociopaths, Operation Gladio, part of a larger Soviet plot to destabilize Europe, or the goddamn Fremasons.

Funny Games, Belgium edition.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That guy sounds p amazing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

We realized it was a losing battle because after a couple emails with the heraldry office it quickly became clear that "Timets Mortem" Fear Death and a grim reaper with a scythe dripping blood isn't in "good taste."

Timete (in the plural, anyway) :colbert:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mortabis posted:

China isn't part of TPP

(it's still a really good treaty of course)

I said IF china signed it, IE became incorporated into it in tge future

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess that rivet story was BS. Maybe the real details were different, but I was just regurgitating a story I heard from a Navy friend of mine

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Captain von Trapp posted:

Hillary is lying, the Democrats will fall in line, and the Republican establishment is in favor of the TPP anyway. If she wins it'll pass, for better or (more likely) worse.

Hillarys position change was nakedly cynical. If the legislature got their act together and somehow passed it, I've no doubt she'd just cite *reasons* why it was a good idea now and sign it instantly.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

What a great profile of an unusual specimen - A Japanese ace who survived the war. Right up until the end when the "russian bias" surfaces. Which causes me to doubt the whole thing. No shade on Sperglord Actual, it's an interesting article, just that perhaps we need to be aware of the potential for bullshit

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Arc Light" by Eric L. Harry.

Seconding Arc Light but also warning you off of buying any other Eric L Harry books. Protect and Defend was Clancy-level slow plot progression, and my brain seems to have blocked out Invasion altogether, probably a self defense mechanism.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bitcoin bastard posted:

Seconding Arc Light but also warning you off of buying any other Eric L Harry books. Protect and Defend was Clancy-level slow plot progression, and my brain seems to have blocked out Invasion altogether, probably a self defense mechanism.

Agreed. Arc Light similarly is a nice work of fiction in the sense that the American people seemingly don't lose their collective loving minds after a limited reflexive counterforce strike by the Russians. At one point one of the protagonist's wives has to drive through an active fallout zone on an interstate, and the state trooper just advises she close her AC vents.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
My favorite Cold War book is The Charm School, although it gets a bit weird near the end.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Agreed. Arc Light similarly is a nice work of fiction in the sense that the American people seemingly don't lose their collective loving minds after a limited reflexive counterforce strike by the Russians. At one point one of the protagonist's wives has to drive through an active fallout zone on an interstate, and the state trooper just advises she close her AC vents.

I'll jump on this train. A fun piece from its time, and I actually own a hardcover copy. The part where said wife is in the hospital and is asking where to go to pay her bill? I think it's more of a commentary on people from California than anything else.

But, this was probably what people were encouraged to think back then*. A short initial conflict, with decon and everything working well enough to open roads again. Then even some conventional attacks on power plants, with the TV still around to warn you about it. The realistic scenario of a full exchange wouldn't have been the same novel. It would have been an entire book full of the parts with airbases being remodeled by thermonuclear weapons, and then nothing. "Something, something, the secondary wave through the ground broke both of his legs at the ankles, and everyone burned with their mouths open."

* (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtoiQs-zHNU)

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 31, 2016

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I remember a lot of 1980s fiction being full of "everyone loving does horribly" post nuclear exchange.

It was a weird time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Effective-Disorder posted:

I'll jump on this train. A fun piece from its time, and I actually own a hardcover copy. The part where said wife is in the hospital and is asking where to go to pay her bill? I think it's more of a commentary on people from California than anything else.

But, this was probably what people were encouraged to think back then*. A short initial conflict, with decon and everything working well enough to open roads again. Then even some conventional attacks on power plants, with the TV still around to warn you about it. The realistic scenario of a full exchange wouldn't have been the same novel. It would have been an entire book full of the parts with airbases being remodeled by thermonuclear weapons, and then nothing. "Something, something, the secondary wave through the ground broke both of his legs at the ankles, and everyone burned with their mouths open."

* (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtoiQs-zHNU)

Oh, for sure - but I last read it as a kid in middle school, and I still remember the Marines in the story on an LHD going across the ocean talking about how The Weather Channel had become the most watched network on television because of the up-to-the-minute fallout tracking. Nowadays, if NYC had a low-yield device go off in Central Park you'd have people panicking in Omaha for the next week thinking THEY'RE NEXT.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fancy video of Patriot intercept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HvAuIi02AE

Unless you're a turbonerd like me, this second video isn't worth watching in its entirety, but the link is time-stamped to a very good shot of PAC-3 end-game vs an air-breathing threat. Probably the clearest shot of the lethality enhancer popping I've seen in a publicly released video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo06xd6_ziM&t=148s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
also get hyped for missile defense*

*completely ignore the bogus stats that have since been roundly disproven even among the missile defense community and publicly posted.

But all those clips of old-school news were interesting at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeHo0FxQUEA

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Smiling Jack posted:

I remember a lot of 1980s fiction being full of "everyone loving does horribly" post nuclear exchange.

It was a weird time.

they even made us read Z for Zachariah in school and everything

poo poo was grim back then

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VikingSkull posted:

poo poo, even music videos were full of post-apocalyptic scenes and settings. I hate using the word zeitgeist but that's very much the right word in this case.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Phanatic posted:

I hate using the word zeitgeist but

well now Gunther Hermann has to change his password. Thanks a lot!!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

We had to read it and watch the BBC play of it. The rape scene was awkward, but what did our English teacher expect from a load of 14 year old boys?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceC-7dWHaPM

SpaceX's rocket blew up on the pad today during a test. This was going to be the first launch of a reused rocket. Was.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

SpaceX's rocket blew up on the pad today during a test. This was going to be the first launch of a reused rocket. Was.

No, it wasn't. That's not scheduled until mid-October.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

SpaceX's rocket blew up on the pad today during a test.

A shame, but it sounds like nobody was hurt at least. :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Was a new core.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Mortabis posted:

No, it wasn't. That's not scheduled until mid-October.

Really? Man my local news blows.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

NPR I think started that misreporting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alaan posted:

NPR I think started that misreporting.

Government agenda against space privatization

Alaan
May 24, 2005

:tinfoil:

Though I'm sure it was just someone going "Wait, didn't SpaceX just announce a reused core this week, yeah, that must be it. Put it in" and no one bothered to check.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

As horrible as the event is, that's a pretty great set of explosions.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I read that the big problem is that it went off on the launch pad. If a rocket KB's on launch you lose the payload, but that's really the end of it. Damaging the launch apparatus could apparently stop or delay some other launches up later this year.

Also, I read that there is a lot of speculation it had something to do with the launch pad hardware, not the rocket. Something something fueling and support system something rocket science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
During a launch sometime this year, I remember them calling out the spherical LOX Tank visible on stream as having been there since Apollo and they were going to replace it.