Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Merauder posted:

So talk to me about Millennium Blades. I managed to land myself a free copy which is about the only way I think I would have bothered playing it, but I'm actually kind of intrigued by it. What's the high points / low points of the game play (not stuff like "there's so much shuffling OMG!1")? Is there a "best with" player count (BGG says 4)? What's a realistic time frame for 4 or 5 brand new players first game?

4 is good, but chaotic. The first game, you only do 2 real rounds so rules + the game took us 2.5 hr

But my players were really slow in the tournament - experienced card players probably can go much faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

golden bubble posted:

For Dark Souls Kickstarter, a Steamforged Games representative showed up on reddit. Personally, I find this entire line of responses to be pretty damning.

A Dark Souls critical hit means a backstabs, hitting an enemy in a weak spot, during an extra vulnerable animation, performing a parry + riposte, and sometimes hitting them after a stagger. They never come from RNG.

Not in the video game. The extra damaged is fixed there.

That thread is a hilarious clusterfuck that just confirms 1: that they don't know the game they've licensed and 2: they have no business making a board game because they don't know them very well and 3: a lot of idiots happily backed it anyways despite all the red flags from day 1

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
All Damage is fixed in Souls games, Jesus Christ.

Like the only times a normal attack will do different damage is if you're using a weapon with an actual sweet spot or you hit an enemy during their attack.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lorini posted:

Note that all the FFG releases on CSI today were 14-15% off. None were Star Wars related however. So yeah, going to the FLGS for those for sure.

God dammit, Asmodee. Private equity strikes again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gently caress Asmodee. LGS can evolve or die, this new policy doesn't do poo poo except hurt online customers and pad Asmodees pockets.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress Asmodee. LGS can evolve or die, this new policy doesn't do poo poo except hurt online customers and pad Asmodees pockets.

Don't you understand? You're just a reckless speculator and Asmodee is protecting the hobby we all love from your rampant purchasing of 300 foil covered copies of the new Dominion #1!

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
What sleeves are good for standard-sized cards?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I use penny sleeves. Between millenium blades and expanding my Battlecon collection I just used 800 or so sleeves. I have more MB stuff in the mail, and I often sleeve the cards in whatever game has cards. If I had an unlimited budget/want good sleeves for a CCG or something, Dragon Shields.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Usually Dragon Shields (variety of colours, large) or KMC perfect fits (transparent, small) or nothing. I used Ultra Pro Pokemon/Mario sleeves for Sekigahara.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Dang, just lost another game of Twilight Struggle (Steam version) because a card I used for influence apparently had an event that the US could trigger that took DEFCON to 1. I had no idea that was a possibility with the card I played and I still don't because you can't review the game after it's over. This was my first game as USSR now that I can beat the AI pretty much every time if I'm the US.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Please tell me how Millenium Blades works. Is it like a M:TG Draft with agricola or an auction game stapled on to it? I don't want to watch someone stammer through 50 minutes of video to get an idea of how the game plays. How many times is yelling "heart of the cards" or "time to d-d-d-duel" an option you could reasonably say, like when you play a legendary card in TK?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Dang, just lost another game of Twilight Struggle (Steam version) because a card I used for influence apparently had an event that the US could trigger that took DEFCON to 1. I had no idea that was a possibility with the card I played and I still don't because you can't review the game after it's over. This was my first game as USSR now that I can beat the AI pretty much every time if I'm the US.

Yeah these cards are very important, and you need to be aware of them to avoid a forced DEFCON suicide. There are 3 types of cards that are unplayable at DEFCON 2 or will lose you the game outright

*Opponent-starred events that unconditionally degrade DEFCON
*Opponent-starred events that explicitly allows a coup where any battleground country is a valid target
*And the one that probably tripped you up, *any* opponent-starred event that allows them to "conduct operations" IF you have any influence in a battleground that would be a valid target. "Conduct operations" simply means they get to spend that value of influence as if it were their turn, which means they can spend it on coups. As you are the phasing player (the one who played the card), this is on you, and you will be at fault for the DEFCON 1 autoloss. This means that as USSR, CIA Created (I'm taking a wild stab that this is the card that killed you) is unplayable at DEFCON 2 if you have any influence in an African, South American or Central American battleground. Juggling cards like this will be a major goal throughout the game - especially low ops cards like this that can't be spaced. They need to be held, played at the top of the round/after DEFCON improvement or otherwise disposed of with discards that don't trigger the event.

edit: number two also includes any cards that offer a "free coup" attempt. Free means they can sometimes bypass the geographic DEFCON restrictions on couping certain regions and/or don't give milops, the free coup will still degrade DEFCON if done in a battleground

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 29, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

golden bubble posted:

For Dark Souls Kickstarter, a Steamforged Games representative showed up on reddit. Personally, I find this entire line of responses to be pretty damning.

A Dark Souls critical hit means a backstabs, hitting an enemy in a weak spot, during an extra vulnerable animation, performing a parry + riposte, and sometimes hitting them after a stagger. They never come from RNG.

Not in the video game. The extra damaged is fixed there.

Haha, he said that in response to my post. As I said, I would jump on the ship if there were a Kemet style card attack system rather than roll to hit / miss system.

I didn't know the boss changed patterns at half health. That could be cool. Similar to some sentinels villains, just without the change in win conditions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

You probably played CIA Created or something that let the US coup in a battleground. There's only 8 or so DEFCON suicide cards and the most dangerous and unpredictable ones are Five-Year Plan, Grain Sales, Missile Envy, and Tear Down This Wall. Star Wars, Olympic Games, Ortega, Summit, and Lone Gunman/CIA are pretty obvious, just never play them at DEFCON 2.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ayn Randi posted:

*And the one that probably tripped you up, *any* opponent-starred event that allows them to "conduct operations" IF you have any influence in a battleground that would be a valid target. "Conduct operations" simply means they get to spend that value of influence as if it were their turn, which means they can spend it on coups. As you are the phasing player (the one who played the card), this is on you, and you will be at fault for the DEFCON 1 autoloss. This means that as USSR, CIA Created (I'm taking a wild stab that this is the card that killed you) is unplayable at DEFCON 2 if you have any influence in an African, South American or Central American battleground. Juggling cards like this will be a major goal throughout the game - especially low ops cards like this that can't be spaced. They need to be held, played at the top of the round/after DEFCON improvement or otherwise disposed of with discards that don't trigger the event.

That's uncanny, this was possibly my exact situation. If not CIA Created, it was some other 1 ops card while we were contesting Africa.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Impermanent posted:

Please tell me how Millenium Blades works. Is it like a M:TG Draft with agricola or an auction game stapled on to it? I don't want to watch someone stammer through 50 minutes of video to get an idea of how the game plays. How many times is yelling "heart of the cards" or "time to d-d-d-duel" an option you could reasonably say, like when you play a legendary card in TK?

MB has two main phases: deckbuilding and tournaments.

In the deckbuilding phase you get an income and some free cards, then are told to go out and buy packs of cards (represented by a single card, the rare from the pack you actually care about), buy/sell singles on the aftermarket, and trade with people. You've got two main ways to make points here - set up your deck to murder in the tournament and make a collection of cards with a symbol in common. This runs in real time for 7 minutes then another 7 minutes then 6 minutes.

In the tournament you bring your deck with up to 8 cards, a deck box, and 2 accessories. All of these are in your hand or in play. Play changes to turn-based here as everyone gets a chance to play a card and do an action off another card during their turn. The aim of the tournament is to score the most Rank Points and you usually do so by having cards in your tableau survive face-up until the end of the tournament. Cards have various effects and ways to score, you can have up to 6 cards in your tableau and once everyone has those 6 you're going to end the tournament. The biggest other mechanic is Clashing, where you compare cards' Star Power and add to it from another card drawn off the top of the Store deck, high man usually gets something. Count up points then award VPs based on ranks, hand out prize cards, and get ready for the next round of deckbuilding.

Normally you'd run 3 sets of deckbuilding + tournaments, with later tournaments giving out more VP. Whoever scores the most VP throughout the game wins.

Left out a bunch of details, but that's the general flow of the game.

And you can totally play it like YGO and yell out every card name, most of which are incredibly yellable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Huh, I was under the impression that it had an actual card game in there with the drafting/collection mechanics as well. That doesn't sound like much of a CCG style game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

Huh, I was under the impression that it had an actual card game in there with the drafting/collection mechanics as well. That doesn't sound like much of a CCG style game.

It's simulating the CCG experience, not the CCG game itself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I get that part, I just thought it had the game part in there as well after the collection rounds and stuff. This was just going off of Kickstarter memories.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Ayn Randi posted:

Yeah these cards are very important, and you need to be aware of them to avoid a forced DEFCON suicide. There are 3 types of cards that are unplayable at DEFCON 2 or will lose you the game outright

The fourth type of DEFCON suicide card is a card that can trigger a DEFCON suicide card; i.e. may play the event of another card, which happens to be a DEFCON suicide card that's hiding in your opponent's hand or discard pile. These cards are Missile Envy, Five Year Plan and Star Wars. So for example, playing Missile Envy as the USSR and triggering We Will Bury You, or playing Five Year Plan as the US and triggering Duck and Cover.

These cards aren't unplayable at DEFCON 2, because they don't always cause the DEFCON to degrade, but they are dangerous unless you're sure about the state of the other DEFCON suicide cards.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
grain sales as well (as USSR), but there is basically no circumstance where triggering grain sales as soviets is an acceptable play regardless of the potential for suicide

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Grain Sales lets you play either the drawn card or Grain Sales itself for normal operation points, so I'd classify that as a card that allows your opponent to conduct operations in your turn. But yes, it does also allow for events to be triggered as well, just to add insult to injury.

Grain Sales is probably the most annoying card for the USSR, barring a bad luck run in the Bear Trap, or that Kremlin Flu promo card. Holy crap that card is all kinds of evil.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Last comment about the Pathfinder app: It has eaten my party twice due to bugs and weird restore points that didn't let me proceed. Restarting and reinstalling after the first crash didn't help. For a game that is about watching your party evolve, that's bad. Plus the random quest (because you'll get bored of the same locations eventually) gets stuck in the loading screen.

Probably not worth it dropping any money on it at this point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I get that part, I just thought it had the game part in there as well after the collection rounds and stuff. This was just going off of Kickstarter memories.

That's what the tournaments are. You're not simulating playing the CCG, you're simulating your deck and solid play placing you well in a tournament meta.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Does Sushi Go! play 2 players, or should I say play well with 2? I'm not mad about the game, but I think my girlfriend and others would like the theme. It makes something that could otherwise be pretty dry into something attractive to look at.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Fat Turkey posted:

Does Sushi Go! play 2 players, or should I say play well with 2? I'm not mad about the game, but I think my girlfriend and others would like the theme. It makes something that could otherwise be pretty dry into something attractive to look at.

The standard rules with 2 are a bit dull, as soon as you swap hands the first time you know all the cards in play.

There's some 2p variants on BoardGameGeek, one that my girlfriend and I play with is the 7 Wonders: Duel variant. Lay cards out in the face-up/face-down ziggurat like 7W:D. It adds some nice little strategy elements where you can force your opponent to take and/or reveal cards to open up better ones for you, and you have the uncertainty of the face-down cards right through the game.

Another one I saw was that you lay out 9 cards in a 3x3 grid, and on your turn you take all cards in a row or column. After one turn each, you clear the board and lay out another 3x3 grid, do the same, then do it a third time to complete a round.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 29, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I finally beat the first mission on Pathfinder ACG on my tablet. Now I want to buy the actual game to play solo. I guess the app did its job?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

I finally beat the first mission on Pathfinder ACG on my tablet. Now I want to buy the actual game to play solo. I guess the app did its job?

From what I understand get the pirate one. It fixed some dumb poo poo and added some good poo poo. No clue about the 3rd one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

djfooboo posted:

From what I understand get the pirate one. It fixed some dumb poo poo and added some good poo poo. No clue about the 3rd one.

So, skip Rise of the Runelords and just get Skull and Shackles?

I'm curious if anyone has opinions on Wrath of the Righteous.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

Buy the first adventure pack with earned gold, keep playing, and if you don't find any bugs, buy it in the app. It's a much better experience than the real game.

As djfooboo said, the second one has a better rep, but I don't have any experience with it.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The obnoxious setup process in the actual PF:ACG is enough that you should stick with the app and pretend the physical game doesn't even exist. Even if you end up having to wait for bugfix patches.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I have finally figured out Twilight Struggle enough to "not commit suicide with dumb plays" and "usually beat the AI with zero handicap". :unsmith: I'm merely bad now!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What are people's thoughts on Discworld: Ankh-Morpork?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ayn Randi posted:

*Opponent-starred events that unconditionally degrade DEFCON
*Opponent-starred events that explicitly allows a coup where any battleground country is a valid target

edit: number two also includes any cards that offer a "free coup" attempt. Free means they can sometimes bypass the geographic DEFCON restrictions on couping certain regions and/or don't give milops, the free coup will still degrade DEFCON if done in a battleground

On the Steam edition I have lost a game because I forgot that Tear Down This Wall is a suicide card in addition to being generally painful for the Soviets, and won a game I had no business winning when the US played Ortega Elected in Nicaragua when he had influence in Cuba.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fat Turkey posted:

Sushi Go is not fun 2 player. It's a blast with 4 or 5 and light enough that anyone can pick it up after a single hand though. My wife and I liked it enough that we bought multiple copies to give as inexpensive gifts. If you like the draft mechanic of Sushi Go and don't mind a completely different theme, 7 Wonders has a really well reviewed 2 player variant. It's a little heavier than Sushi Go and kind of straddles the line between light and medium weight but it's easy enough to teach in one game and plays in 30 minutes or less. I just picked it up and the wife and I played a few games 2 player before our big 7 player game tonight.

Lord of the Rings Card Game question: I have the base game and have been looking at The Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill Expansion. Is that an ok purchase if I don't have any other cards? The Hobbit is one of my favorite books and the artwork on the cover of the box makes me want to buy it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Boz0r posted:

What are people's thoughts on Discworld: Ankh-Morpork?

Hella fun.

Scyther posted:

The obnoxious setup process in the actual PF:ACG is enough that you should stick with the app and pretend the physical game doesn't even exist. Even if you end up having to wait for bugfix patches.

That's fair. I'll probably just pick up LOTR LCG instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

Well, what you're playing in a tournament is your super combo, which operates under a stripped-down set of rules. Like, you've got three cards that score you points when they flip and a fourth that flips everything left of it, so you plan to play them in that order. Card interactions are simple but definitely present, and there are cards to mess with your opponents as well. The "deck box" represents a theme in your common cards that usually adds another scoring condition.

Given a set of however many cards, put together a 6 card combo for all the points. That's a CCG problem, isn't it?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

The question is are board games a commodity like toothpaste or are board games a more social experience that needs support to make sales grow? OLGS's in and of themselves don't bring people together to play games. Many FLGS's do. Asmodee clearly believes that the losses they may sustain by selling fewer games will be offset by bringing their games into the FLGS experience and hopefully getting more FLGS's to open and be sustained.

Which is right? We shall see.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not, which is why I sold it. I was hoping for more of a two player style experience with multi-player options. Instead it's not very good two players and none of my (notably older) friends enjoyed the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

So, skip Rise of the Runelords and just get Skull and Shackles?

I'm curious if anyone has opinions on Wrath of the Righteous.

For the physical version of the game, do not get RotR. It's very vanilla and it's not difficult at all. Skull and Shackles is better and there's more variety to the scenarios, but it's still a little bit too easy in the first half of the entire campaign. FWIW, the whole ship thing is annoying. I've started playing Wrath and it's probably my favorite so far as complexity and difficulty. I've heard it gets a bit over-the-top difficult near the end, so be aware of that. If you want a spoilerific detailed review of Wrath of the Righteous and the previous sets, check out this blog:

https://fistfulofmeeples.wordpress.com/tag/wrath-of-the-righteous/

By the way, the app version of the game did fix and alter (in a good way) many things in RotR. Assuming they get the bugs fixed, and if they ever add an online multiplayer option, it will be a vastly superior way to play it.