Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

Some super convoluted solution of turning it on and off again, signing out and then in of iMessage on both your phone and your Mac, enabling handoff through messages and hoping your phone number then decides to show up in the list. Good luck.

This worked, I will now kiss you on the lips as a thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: probs shouldn't be associating this

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 14, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This isn't quite a Haus of Tech Support question just yet, but:

MacOS (specifically system viewers) and network printing Department Codes.

So the Mac way of using department codes is really dumb and you have to enter it specifically for each program (in Windows, no matter what you use, you just get a pop up prompt to enter the code).

This has worked with our Toshiba2505AC printer for the most part just fine. EXCEPT for anything MacOS system viewer related.

The department code section of that has a dropdown menu for *each separate numeral* instead of just a single box to type the code in. Which is what I think is tripping it or me up.

Printing a PDF through Reader works just fine, but doing it through the MacOS system won't work at all, even with the department code entered. It doesn't go to invalid or hold buckets either. It just disappears into the ether.

Am I just doing something wrong?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

~Coxy posted:

file:///Volumes/BWL/Music/Icehouse/Man of Colours/Electric Blue.MP3

:haw:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BonoMan posted:

This isn't quite a Haus of Tech Support question just yet, but:

MacOS (specifically system viewers) and network printing Department Codes.

So the Mac way of using department codes is really dumb and you have to enter it specifically for each program (in Windows, no matter what you use, you just get a pop up prompt to enter the code).

This has worked with our Toshiba2505AC printer for the most part just fine. EXCEPT for anything MacOS system viewer related.

The department code section of that has a dropdown menu for *each separate numeral* instead of just a single box to type the code in. Which is what I think is tripping it or me up.

Printing a PDF through Reader works just fine, but doing it through the MacOS system won't work at all, even with the department code entered. It doesn't go to invalid or hold buckets either. It just disappears into the ether.

Am I just doing something wrong?

What is a “system viewer”?

The first google hit for ‘printer department code mac’ suggests setting up a preset with the department code pre-entered. You can then use that preset from any program.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/informationservices/get_help/how_do_i/print_and_scan/how_to_setup_department_codes_on_mac_os_x.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BobHoward posted:

What is a “system viewer”?

The first google hit for ‘printer department code mac’ suggests setting up a preset with the department code pre-entered. You can then use that preset from any program.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/informationservices/get_help/how_do_i/print_and_scan/how_to_setup_department_codes_on_mac_os_x.html

So by system viewer I mean any program that is actually part of MacOS. Apologies for my lame terminology. But I think stuff like Preview?

For some reason, that uses a different and weirdly outdated form of code entry (the separate dropdown for each numeral) and will not work at all.

As for every other program, I just do as you linked, there's a way to save the department code easily in all of those programs. One and done.

Just, for some reason, anything related to the way the MacOS natively views something uses a completely different department code entry that doesn't work. And some programs, like Chrome (aka printing an email in GMail) uses the system dialogue to print and you can't do it.

So printing from Excel, Word, Reader, etc all works fine. Printing from MacOS Preview will not work at all.

Blarg. I'll get it figured out, just didn't know if it rang any immediate "oh yeah I know exactly what that is" bells.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I have a vague recollection that moving your /users directory to another partition is a bad idea and a huge pain in the rear end. How about replacing the default folders within it with aliases to another partition?

My old OS X partition got all hosed up and was generally full of like a decade or more of cruft and what not, so I made myself a nice new installation in what was once a boot camp partition. That’s working fine, but now I want to toss all my music ands pictures and stuff on the old partition once I’ve reformatted it. It would be nice to just be able to jump to those folders from my home directory, and that seems to be the most sensible way. However I’m slightly concerned that OS X won’t like that.

Am I just worrying about nothing? As far as I can tell, the only default directories in home that have a Go menu item are downloads and documents , so I figure I’ll just leave downloads be. I could probably do the same for documents, if necessary. Would OS X be unhappy that a default folder is an alias?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zenostein posted:

I have a vague recollection that moving your /users directory to another partition is a bad idea and a huge pain in the rear end. How about replacing the default folders within it with aliases to another partition?

My old OS X partition got all hosed up and was generally full of like a decade or more of cruft and what not, so I made myself a nice new installation in what was once a boot camp partition. That’s working fine, but now I want to toss all my music ands pictures and stuff on the old partition once I’ve reformatted it. It would be nice to just be able to jump to those folders from my home directory, and that seems to be the most sensible way. However I’m slightly concerned that OS X won’t like that.

Am I just worrying about nothing? As far as I can tell, the only default directories in home that have a Go menu item are downloads and documents , so I figure I’ll just leave downloads be. I could probably do the same for documents, if necessary. Would OS X be unhappy that a default folder is an alias?
/Users on another directory can technically work, although the proper way is to move individual users and change the settings for them using advanced options in the Users/Accounts prefpane. I don’t know where bad idea/huge pain is from unless you screw it up...or something blows up, cause some troubleshooting steps might be slightly different (cause the different paths here and there). I have my home folder on another partition, and keep an extra user on the boot to help with troubleshooting purposes if necessary.

For moving individual folders it’s pretty simple iirc, the key is using symlinks, not aliases. Basically copy a folder over, rename/move (and/or eventually trash) the original, make a symlink pointing to the new folder, aaand that should be it. Just make sure the initial copy step is done with something that preserves all the metadata and whatever properly.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

japtor posted:

/Users on another directory can technically work, although the proper way is to move individual users and change the settings for them using advanced options in the Users/Accounts prefpane. I don’t know where bad idea/huge pain is from unless you screw it up...or something blows up, cause some troubleshooting steps might be slightly different (cause the different paths here and there). I have my home folder on another partition, and keep an extra user on the boot to help with troubleshooting purposes if necessary.

For moving individual folders it’s pretty simple iirc, the key is using symlinks, not aliases. Basically copy a folder over, rename/move (and/or eventually trash) the original, make a symlink pointing to the new folder, aaand that should be it. Just make sure the initial copy step is done with something that preserves all the metadata and whatever properly.

Well, I'm using finder, so I certainly hope it doesn't somehow gently caress all the metadata or resource forks or whatever can get mangled. At least the owner name changed properly, so that's a good start.

There's no way to make symlinks in the gui, right? Guess I'll have to go look up how to use ln properly or whatever. That's just:
pre:
ln -s [folder name] [link name]
Right?

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to fix all these aliases that expect to be in a different user directory, guess I'll have to sort all that out by hand at some point.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Well, I'm using finder, so I certainly hope it doesn't somehow gently caress all the metadata or resource forks or whatever can get mangled. At least the owner name changed properly, so that's a good start.
Well it might change the mod/creation dates of everything, and if it screws up in the middle of the transfer you'll have to start all over or figure out where it hosed up and try to manually fill in the blanks.

Basically use something else. I forget if the command line copy stuff works, cp may or may not be modified to do so, otherwise I think ditto is the one to use? Uh for a UI backupList might work but I haven't tried it in a while. There's others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

quote:

There's no way to make symlinks in the gui, right? Guess I'll have to go look up how to use ln properly or whatever. That's just:
pre:
ln -s [folder name] [link name]
Right?

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to fix all these aliases that expect to be in a different user directory, guess I'll have to sort all that out by hand at some point.
There was a contextual menu thing way back but I'd be surprised if that still works.

ln -s "path to new folder" "path/name to link"

So if you move Pictures to the root of another drive, Drive2 for example:

ln -s "/Volumes/Drive2/Pictures" "~/Pictures"

99% of stuff will work with symlinks and just see them as folders, so you don't have to manually re point everything to the new location, although it's good practice just in case for more major stuff I figure. Not that it matters in this case, but the links can be moved around wherever, but they'll break if the original moves.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey thread - odd situation I have a 15” MBP 2013 on the latest OS. I’m trying to install Resolve 16 and when I mount the DMG it pops open a finder window which then crashes the finder. It’s odd. I’ve left the DMG mounted then restarted the finder and that’s fine but even browsing to the DMG to crashes the finder and needs a relaunch. I’ve looked in the console but I have no idea what I should be looking for. Re-downloaded in case it was corrupt but same issue and since it’s not even the executable I don’t think that’s it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey thread - odd situation I have a 15” MBP 2013 on the latest OS. I’m trying to install Resolve 16 and when I mount the DMG it pops open a finder window which then crashes the finder. It’s odd. I’ve left the DMG mounted then restarted the finder and that’s fine but even browsing to the DMG to crashes the finder and needs a relaunch. I’ve looked in the console but I have no idea what I should be looking for. Re-downloaded in case it was corrupt but same issue and since it’s not even the executable I don’t think that’s it.
Might sound dumb, but in case you haven’t tried it, try restarting. Otherwise uh, check the disk in case something is funky is going on there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

japtor posted:

Might sound dumb, but in case you haven’t tried it, try restarting. Otherwise uh, check the disk in case something is funky is going on there.

Reboot. Try it once. Download a fresh .dmg is my solution.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Hyperdock constantly pops up, I'm using the trial version but is this normal behavior? I miss the Windows peak knockoff feature too much to let this go...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Reboot. Try it once. Download a fresh .dmg is my solution.

This plus moving the .dmg to an external drive worked, now I’m worried my HD is failing but that’s a different and exciting problem.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Newest Catalina beta apparently crashes any and all versions of Firefox, avoid.
Fixed now.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Apparently Catalina is bringing improved support for on-prem and Azure Active Directory, but I can't find much detail, especially about the on-prem features. Anyone know of documentation on this?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Saw that. Nice. Used Safari in the interim, now I kinda wonder if I should switch back. I waffle every year or two.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toast Museum posted:

Apparently Catalina is bringing improved support for on-prem and Azure Active Directory, but I can't find much detail, especially about the on-prem features. Anyone know of documentation on this?

What additional support for on-prem AD are you looking for?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

AlternateAccount posted:

What additional support for on-prem AD are you looking for?

It's currently not my problem, so for now I'm just curious about what they're doing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toast Museum posted:

It's currently not my problem, so for now I'm just curious about what they're doing.

I'm only asking because while I can absolutely believe issues exist, lately we've just joined machines to the domain and had zero trouble. I feel like it used to be a lot more difficult and troublesome, but it's very smooth lately. But that might just be me being lucky.
The biggest problem is someone following the login prompt to change their AD password, then getting prompted to update their Keychain password but not understanding that you just need to enter your OLD password one more time. It's unintuitive and leads to a lot of nuked Keychains.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Password changes are the only issue I've had with my corpo Mac too. If I change my password anywhere other than ON my Mac, that's a one way ticket to getting locked out of everything under the sun for the next seven days until I also nuke my keychain.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Better handling of domain credentials would be fantastic. NoMAD/Jamf Connect sidestep the issue by not actually binding to the domain, but the vague stuff I've seen so far gave me the impression that Catalina would do something different.

On the Azure side of things, it sounds like the big news is that third-party platforms like AAD will be able to create/manage Managed Apple IDs, and the first-run setup will be able to present web content like SSO pages.

Edit: haven't found anything directly from Apple yet, but Jamf makes it sound like the on-prem stuff is pretty much just SSO-ish behavior. Honestly, if a password change is still a disaster for anyone who doesn't know what Keychain wants from them, then it's hard to get too excited about this feature.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 21, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

From what I hear, it’s all the pieces of Enterprise Connect, but free. It’s pretty cool, and I could see the appeal for places still binding Macs AD. I know Jamf is all about Connect, but it’s geared for something a bit different really, and is certainly not free.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So does this stem from AD not playing nice with keychain and it being T2-tangential or?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Crunchy Black posted:

So does this stem from AD not playing nice with keychain and it being T2-tangential or?

No, it’s because you have to unlock your keychain with your old password to set a new keychain password.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Seems like...an oversight? :downs:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's a choice but I don't know if that makes it better.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I can see the rationale for not wanting to give anything the ability to reach in over the network and alter your keychain without direct user interaction

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
When my machine boots to the desktop, I get a popup saying "The application XYZ may not work in future versions of MacOS." I'm more than happy to remove them, but I can never locate them when I try to search. What am I doing wrong?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

When my machine boots to the desktop, I get a popup saying "The application XYZ may not work in future versions of MacOS." I'm more than happy to remove them, but I can never locate them when I try to search. What am I doing wrong?

Look in the Console log, the path to the executable is logged when that warning is given. Just open Console.app and search for XYZ.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can also try Apple Menu > About This Mac > System Report > Software > Applications.

Scroll over to the right until you see a column marked 64-bit Intel.

All the apps marked "Yes" will run on Catalina or higher.

All the apps marked "No" will NOT run on Catalina or higher, unless the vendor updates the app.

I'm told EndNote X9 is one of those marked "NO" but they're working on updating it. Sad part is the installer is 64-bit, the app itself isn't.

Most Canon and HP drivers are 64-bit, Office 365/2016 is 64-bit, Office 2011 sure as hell ain't (which is why they want you to upgrade to Office 365.)

If you don't like this, just never upgrade and stay at Mojave forever.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
every single No thing on my list is adobe.

figures.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah about 80% for me too. Quite impressed it picked up some apps in a ‘backup of my old laptop hdd’ folder that aren’t “installed” on that machine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Adobe used to use Java for some authentication process but then Apple yanked their Java from the standard install. That was from the CS-CS6 days.

Adobe programmers are super stupids who didn't listen when Apple started strongly hinting to compile for 64-bit.

It's one loving flag and yes it takes slightly longer to compile and draws on libraries that probably broke their code as written in the past but at least Creative Cloud is mostly 64-bit.

There's still people who run Quicken 2007 (32-but) and will never change, at least Quicken 2018 is 64-bit.

Mathematica 12 is 64-bit, MacVector is 64-but from 14 and up, anybody who still hasn't gone 64-bit is burying their head in the sand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Adobe used to use Java for some authentication process but then Apple yanked their Java from the standard install. That was from the CS-CS6 days.

Adobe programmers are super stupids who didn't listen when Apple started strongly hinting to compile for 64-bit.

It's one loving flag and yes it takes slightly longer to compile and draws on libraries that probably broke their code as written in the past but at least Creative Cloud is mostly 64-bit.

There's still people who run Quicken 2007 (32-but) and will never change, at least Quicken 2018 is 64-bit.

Mathematica 12 is 64-bit, MacVector is 64-but from 14 and up, anybody who still hasn't gone 64-bit is burying their head in the sand.

I wonder if they were depending on 32-bit code that dind't exist in source form anymore?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lotta Java is like that.

Oh there's a password compiled into this one jar that Dave wrote and he left in 2004

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using Skim, a PDF Reader, to make highlights in a text and then using it to export those highlights onto a text document. About halfway through this venture Skim started quitting on me unexpectedly every single time. Is this because the program, which isn't on the Mac store, is not super compatible with Mojave? Does anyone know of a fix for when a program shuts down all the time or do they know an alternative program that exports PDF highlights?

eames
May 9, 2009

What's the best hypervisor to use in macOS these days? Veertu used to work great but seems to have been discontinued.
I still have a very outdated license of VMware Fusion but I read that most of the original developers were laid off and the software quality is allegedly declining. Is Virtualbox better now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

eames posted:

What's the best hypervisor to use in macOS these days? Veertu used to work great but seems to have been discontinued.
I still have a very outdated license of VMware Fusion but I read that most of the original developers were laid off and the software quality is allegedly declining. Is Virtualbox better now?

What is your intended use case?

Veertu is still around, they just are focusing on Anka, which is more geared towards ephemeral VMs for CI/CD, using Minis for worker nodes, which if you're just trying to run windows or linux on the desktop isn't really a solution.

Thread consensus seems to be to stay away from newer versions of Fusion.