Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really hope they eventually add fast movement or something like that. I feel like just slowly bouncing around the (large) areas is like 80% of my actual playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Scourgebringer looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utlak-cT72Q

But alas, early access

For what it's worth it's on PC Game Pass right now and it is exactly as good feeling to play as it looks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

zirconmusic posted:

So Stoneshard is on track to be the highest selling and highest grossing roguelike, even beyond Dredmor, at the rate it's growing. 3445 reviews already means it's probably well over 100k units sold in less than a week. Absolutely surreal.

Did this just come out of nowhere like, a few weeks ago, or am I just really bad at keeping up with developments in the roguelike space these days? I feel like I hadn't heard anything about it up until super recently.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did this just come out of nowhere like, a few weeks ago, or am I just really bad at keeping up with developments in the roguelike space these days? I feel like I hadn't heard anything about it up until super recently.

European developer, and it was kickstarted, so if you were an American that doesn't pay attention to the Euro scene it probably did come out of nowhere.

It occurred to me while playing it that it reminded me heavily of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but a turn-based roguelike (with vampires and magic and stuff) and looking it up, yup, Eastern European dev studio (specifically, Russia). These guys have a type :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I mean to be fair, from what I've heard about it it sounds like the anti-game for me. Lots of plates to keep spinning that each represent a different type of suffering, and as soon as one starts wobbling you start your inevitable spiral into an unpleasant death. Is that basically accurate? :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got a discount for stoneshard on steam for owning darkest dungeon. So maybe check your steam inventory if you’re on the fence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I mean to be fair, from what I've heard about it it sounds like the anti-game for me. Lots of plates to keep spinning that each represent a different type of suffering, and as soon as one starts wobbling you start your inevitable spiral into an unpleasant death. Is that basically accurate? :v:

Oh definitely yeah.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1226573311339122688?s=21

Put out an updated build of Escape from Aeon last night, if any of y'all wanna give a goon-made thing a shot.
Mostly under-the-hood work, like a month-long rewrite of the map generation system (enjoyed that, even though not much changed for the player in the end) but there are some bug fixes and general polish in there too.
Plus we integrated a nifty asset for a feedback form, so here's hoping people will actually use it, ha.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The free demo of it was on the first page of the "new & trending" section of the main Steam store page for me for like 18 straight months, I think is was one of those games where the devs kept adjusting the release date to keep in it "new & trending" even after it had been around forever. It was actually the reason I stopped paying attention to that section so to be fair to the game when I bought it and refunded it 20 minutes later I was already looking for reasons to dislike it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my stoneshard opinion is that it's slow and boring, and visual polish does not make up for that

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

zirconmusic posted:

So Stoneshard is on track to be the highest selling and highest grossing roguelike, even beyond Dredmor, at the rate it's growing. 3445 reviews already means it's probably well over 100k units sold in less than a week. Absolutely surreal.

That could be a bit of an outlier, with a fair number of people writing the review to note for their issues with the save system. Translation reviews into sales works for average cases, this could be one of outside the average.

Although in any case, I'm not surprised if this game is more successful than say, Tangledeep. The more somber art style, the mouse driven UI, the setting and concept itself (a mercenary going on in a warn-torn medieval world), the promise of system driven open world, it all speaks more to the 'average hardcore PC gamer' (whatever that is!) that may be interested in buying a roguelike in the first place.

I personally find funny how code-worded is the description, marketing-wise. Gotta know what your audience is:

quote:

Stoneshard is a challenging turn-based RPG set in an open world. Experience the unforgiving life of a medieval mercenary: travel across the war-torn kingdom, fulfill contracts, fight, mend your wounds and develop your character without any restrictions.
Open World
War always leaves its mark: villages lie in ruins, dungeons are infested with monsters and old roads are abandoned. Travel across Aldor and learn more about its past.
Economy
The wartime economy is ruthless, but it also presents many opportunities: fulfill contracts, hunt for treasure, trade in a variety of goods and travel the land to earn your fortune.
Tactical Battles
There is no hand-holding. Only the thoughtful ones shall prevail - plan a few turns ahead, adapt to your surroundings and fully utilize your character’s strengths.

Yes, the game is drat gritty, I get it!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 10, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I took a gander at the Steam page for it and oh my god that inventory system. Dress up dolls are fine, but in the video he mouse-overs a piece of gear that gleefully has a list of +5's and -2's. It's 2020, stop apeing Diablo2 and calling it depth.

I'm finding that there's a LOT of games like that now. Indie stuff that has sharp pixel graphics covering up a mound of red flags and inevitably poor gameplay.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Visually it looks great. Gameplaywise it looks like it's got a fair way to go.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
I'm not impressed enough by Stoneshard to buy it over SYNTHETIK.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HeartNotes3 posted:

I'm not impressed enough by Stoneshard to buy it over SYNTHETIK.

Yeowch, savage.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I checked out stone shard, dosn't look like my bag. Its standard fantasy roguelike, pretty but you're forced to play as weirdo with a beardo so the 'diologue' can be voiced or whatever and it gives me the impression that they're going for a specific difficult curve which means any equipment you find is the same as any other and its whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They got Forsen to stream Stoneshard to 10k viewers last night, so I'm definitely out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can someone either give me a tldr on the Synthetik thing or point me to an earlier page in the thread where it's being discussed? Ty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone either give me a tldr on the Synthetik thing or point me to an earlier page in the thread where it's being discussed? Ty.

You click heads and robots explode.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

quote:

SYNTHETIK is an unforgiving tactical shooter rogue-lite where freedom and experimentation is key. Fight in a world overrun by the Machine Legion and their Gods. Experience the next level in gun-play and dive into unparalleled build options and Android upgrades.Mar 15, 2018

Jack Trades posted:

Top down shooter with headshots, separate eject/reload buttons for your guns. Oh, and co-op. And problematic boss fights/inventory. In -general- very well received. The actual bulk of discussion was in 2018 of course.

Free stand-alone expansion Synthetik: Arena if you want to sample the gunplay.

I may do a thread search after coffee if I’ve the time and short-term memory

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Motherfucker posted:

I checked out stone shard, dosn't look like my bag. Its standard fantasy roguelike, pretty but you're forced to play as weirdo with a beardo so the 'diologue' can be voiced or whatever and it gives me the impression that they're going for a specific difficult curve which means any equipment you find is the same as any other and its whatever.

i'm sure they're trying to go for the john darksouls crowd with decisions like that, which means it probably won't be my kind of thing either

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Been playing some Jupiter Hell and it's pretty funny how it's literally just DoomRL but with more bells and whistles. That's exactly what I wanted though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Synthetik's great, but has some issues (as Lord Sloth said, the boss design is by far the biggest problem). Shooting stuff feels great once you're used to it. The juice (sound design, action feedback, etc.) is top shelf. A lot of the guns used to be samey, but they've differentiated them to a point I consider satisfactory; every gun has some unique little mechanic of varying relevance (e.g. it performs really well when overheated, or it generates ammo when you hit multiple targets with one shot). People make a big stink about the reloading mechanic, but after an hour or two you won't even notice you're doing it. It's also not nearly as hard as people say, though world 3 & 4 are huge jumps in difficulty.

Negative points include the UI, which is... let's say "an acquired taste." Also, the key bindings, which are not great by default. I put both eject and reload on Shift and dash on Space and it feels better to me. I also moved the item hotkeys to Q, E, mouse buttons, and so on -- buttons I can actually hit easily without leaving WASD -- and that helped a lot too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

megane posted:

The juice (sound design, action feedback, etc.)

This is a great term and I'm gonna start using it. It nicely complements meat (enjoyability and satisfaction of the gameplay, depth of gameplay) and crunch (complexity, clarity, and detail of behind-the-scenes mechanical workings) quite nicely.

Also, talking about juice, meat, and crunch makes you sound like an ogre, which is good.

e: for instance, DoomRL is an example of a roguelike with plenty of meat and great juice as well - although the crunch could perhaps stand to be clarified a little, given how often new players seem to be puzzled by the dodging and cover mechanics.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 10, 2020

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

The Fool posted:

I got a discount for stoneshard on steam for owning darkest dungeon. So maybe check your steam inventory if you’re on the fence.

gently caress you. I bought the game despite EA thanks to the dual compulsion of roguelike title and time-limited coupon. I mean, I’ve seen some play but was quite willing to wait for a more complete product.

I also bought Rogue Empire. Fortunately I am free today so I can put in enough time to regret either impulsive sale buy. Or thank you. Or blame you instead of myself. Either way, I win.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Synthetik is the E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy of twin stick shooters. the translation makes no sense, the UI makes no sense, the mechanics are obtuse, the gameplay is at odds with itself, and it’s fun

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

You only play as "weirdo with a beardo" for the prologue. You get to pick a character afterwards, and it seems they will add in the ability to make your own at some point. Anyway, I didn't find it that hard, you just need to be a little methodical. Also the boss fight was really cool. I really liked the way they made positioning important. It was more than just bumping up against it until it died.

Edit: also even in the prologue there was decent progression of equipment. Play it for more then 30 seconds.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 10, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Angryhead posted:

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1226573311339122688?s=21

Put out an updated build of Escape from Aeon last night, if any of y'all wanna give a goon-made thing a shot.
Mostly under-the-hood work, like a month-long rewrite of the map generation system (enjoyed that, even though not much changed for the player in the end) but there are some bug fixes and general polish in there too.
Plus we integrated a nifty asset for a feedback form, so here's hoping people will actually use it, ha.

I'm going to check this out when I have a little more time and I hope quoting it gets other people to do likewise. I desperately want more sci-fi or at least modern roguelikes and games in general. Burnt out on fantasy.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
So is Stoneshard a game with sleeping at inns instead of permadeath or is it a permadeath game without autosaves?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DisDisDis posted:

So is Stoneshard a game with sleeping at inns instead of permadeath or is it a permadeath game without autosaves?

Both, I think. You can also save at camps, which I assume means in the overworld.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 10, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well I'm happy about the first option cuz I have less and less interest in permadeath games but the second seems somewhere between silly and easily exploitable

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm going to check this out when I have a little more time and I hope quoting it gets other people to do likewise. I desperately want more sci-fi or at least modern roguelikes and games in general. Burnt out on fantasy.

Hey thanks, hope you dig it.
I always feel a bit bad about doing these drive-by self-promotional posts in this thread and almost never posting otherwise, but uhh... to paraphrase: teach a man to develop games in his spare time and he will never have time to play them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dramicus posted:

Also the boss fight was really cool. I really liked the way they made positioning important. It was more than just bumping up against it until it died.
That's one way to put it. I would say another way to put it is it basically never just straight up attacks you, instead just repeatedly doing telegraphed attacks you can move out of the way of, which makes it really easy. Not typically true elsewhere in the game and that's just the prologue but it's a bit of a weird choice.

Also a bit of a weird choice for a game that bills itself as "unforgiving", with "no-handholding" has permadeath disabled by default :pwn: also not a great sign, since games that work in that way in my experience are not really built around permadeath as a system, and I gotta say that's how stoneshard feels to me. Every time you die you have to start over and redo a bunch of busywork that happens at the beginning of the game-not so if you play with permadeath disabled and just load a save, which is how the game seems to expect you to play.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think you might be reading a little too much into the marketing. The prologue was clearly just introducing mechanics to the player and I really doubt it was supposed to be dark souls hard or whatever. I got a TOME feel from it, which also gives the option of dealing with permadeath or not. Also, my first character died after completing the first quest because I wasn't properly prepared. I got through the dungeon and killed the stuff and I died on the way back from injuries. I should have bought some supplies before setting out. I think the real difficulty might come from resource management and attrition, something that didn't really show up in the prologue.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 10, 2020

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Goddamn, Same.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
drat I tried a few runs on an older build and it looked real neat, will be checking back in on Aeon for sure. Pro tip: if you have a joystick/throttle and such plugged in, disable them before you launch to avoid autoscrolling through the menu.

Still having a heck of a time with Door in the Woods. Definitely going to pee the bed tonight, according to grandma's wisdom.

I've only managed to set myself alight once so far, by point-blanking a vampire with a molotov. Pro tip: a bottle of water is not enough to put yourself out :D

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
IMO the most important information about Synthetik is that its weird post-draw visual effects make it the only game to give me a migraine if I play it more than like an 45 minutes.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Stone Shard looks like a demonstration of marketing genius more than an enjoyable game to me. Good for the devs to get so many sales on a roguelike.

Someone mentioned Rogue Empires earlier, and it's a competent, if not spectacular, game. I enjoyed the 30 or so hours I got out of it, but probably won't return to it. It's systems are basic enough for beginners, though, so I'd consider it a good entry way for new roguelike players in the same vein as Dungeonmans.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dramicus posted:

You only play as "weirdo with a beardo" for the prologue. You get to pick a character afterwards, and it seems they will add in the ability to make your own at some point. Anyway, I didn't find it that hard, you just need to be a little methodical. Also the boss fight was really cool. I really liked the way they made positioning important. It was more than just bumping up against it until it died.

Edit: also even in the prologue there was decent progression of equipment. Play it for more then 30 seconds.

I refuse to get into this argument again but I feel the need to restate my position that roguelikes need to frontload their 'being good' or else resetting is pain and if I can say it sucks in thirty seconds it does not matter if it gets good just around the next bend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFlfvv9-D3I